Computer for Law School

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Mac v. PC

Mac
61%
PC
39%

Total votes: 64

bk1

Re: Computer for Law School

Postby bk1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:45 pm

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:46 pm

introversional wrote:
Renzo wrote:
introversional wrote:I've been PC for life; thinking of switching to the Mac-side. (macbook air 13 inch or pro, not sure)

What is the oddest/quirkiest/most unnatural thing I can expect if I do this transition and how long will it feel weird?

You can't quit a program by hitting the tiny red button in the corner of the window. It will still be running, you just won't have any windows open. Outside of that, there's basically no adjustment.

Wtf, well then how do you quickly close programs or browser windows then? Sorry for these trivial questions, but I'm mac-tarded.

Also, are there any quirks involved with created folders, sub-folders, etc, on a macbook?

No quirks and the answer to both of those things is right-click. It will bring up a contextual menu that will allow you to create folders; and if you right-click a program's icon in the dock, the contextual menu will let you quit, open/close windows, hide/show windows, etc.
Last edited by Renzo on Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:50 pm

blowhard wrote:
kalvano wrote:It's always fun to see Mac fanboys presenting opinion as utter fact.

Regardless of opinion about the trackpad, saying you cannot right-click is simply wrong. Click with two fingers on the track pad or hold Ctrl while clicking if on non-trackpad Mac.

I think Macs have vastly superior trackpads in look and feel. In fact, it's probably my biggest bitch about PC laptops. But you can't "right click" like you can within Windows, and I was simply addressing some of the issues that I find when going to Macs. I'm so used to going to the separate button that it's always an adjustment period.

I didn't say one is inherently better, I said it's something to adjust to coming from Windows to Mac. Other people decided to make an argument that one way is objectively better than the other.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:54 pm

kalvano wrote:
blowhard wrote:
kalvano wrote:It's always fun to see Mac fanboys presenting opinion as utter fact.

Regardless of opinion about the trackpad, saying you cannot right-click is simply wrong. Click with two fingers on the track pad or hold Ctrl while clicking if on non-trackpad Mac.

I think Macs have vastly superior trackpads in look and feel. In fact, it's probably my biggest bitch about PC laptops. But you can't "right click" like you can within Windows, and I was simply addressing some of the issues that I find when going to Macs. I'm so used to going to the separate button that it's always an adjustment period.

I didn't say one is inherently better, I said it's something to adjust to coming from Windows to Mac. Other people decided to make an argument that one way is objectively better than the other.

yes, you can right click is what I'm saying. If you click anywhere with two fingers on the track pad it is a "right click". All you have to do is put a second finger down anywhere on the trackpad. You could even click with the right click finger so long as you left the first finger down. If you want a second button, hit control while clicking.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:00 pm

blowhard wrote:yes, you can right click is what I'm saying. If you click anywhere with two fingers on the track pad it is a "right click". All you have to do is put a second finger down anywhere on the trackpad. You could even click with the right click finger so long as you left the first finger down. If you want a second button, hit control while clicking.

Fuck me man. I didn't say you can't right-click, what I said was it's not the same process as it is within Windows. It uses a different gesture and if you're used to simply clicking a different button, it takes some adaptation.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:01 pm

kalvano wrote:
blowhard wrote:yes, you can right click is what I'm saying. If you click anywhere with two fingers on the track pad it is a "right click". All you have to do is put a second finger down anywhere on the trackpad. You could even click with the right click finger so long as you left the first finger down. If you want a second button, hit control while clicking.

Fuck me man. I didn't say you can't right-click, what I said was it's not the same process as it is within Windows. It uses a different gesture and if you're used to simply clicking a different button, it takes some adaptation.

LOL, I get what you're saying. I'm saying it's not really all that different of a gesture.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:04 pm

blowhard wrote:
kalvano wrote:

LOL, I get what you're saying. I'm saying it's not really all that different of a gesture.

If Steve Jobs had told you it was a different gesture instead of pointing out the similarities, you'd be agreeing with me.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:05 pm

kalvano wrote:
If Steve Jobs had told you it was a different gesture instead of pointing out the similarities, you'd be agreeing with me.

Depends. Did he tell me before or after he died?

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:06 pm

kalvano wrote:
blowhard wrote:
kalvano wrote:

No, contrary to what you may think I'm not an Apple fan boy. I used to be an IT guy...I've worked much more heavily with PCs and Windows/Unix/Linux than Macs. I switched to a Mac because I found I liked it much better and I merely share my opinion and dispel myths/rumors as I see them come up. Contrary to a lot of other posters, I don't say they are right for everyone I just share my opinion of them. The Windows fanboys on the other hand, always bring out the "All Apples are over-priced, you can get the same thing cheaper, etc." For whatever reason, they assume that you should always buy the cheapest system you can regardless of preference.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:08 pm

blowhard wrote:
No, contrary to what you may think I'm not an Apple fan boy. I used to be an IT guy...I've worked much more heavily with PCs and Windows/Unix/Linux than Macs. I switched to a Mac because I found I liked it much better and I merely share my opinion and dispel myths/rumors as I see them come up. Contrary to a lot of other posters, I don't say they are right for everyone I just share my opinion of them. The Windows fanboys on the other hand, always bring out the "All Apples are over-priced, you can get the same thing cheaper, etc." For whatever reason, they assume that you should always buy the cheapest system you can regardless of preference.

Shut it, fanboy. If you didn't care, you wouldn't still be picking a fight.

Postby 03121202698008 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:09 pm

Renzo wrote:
blowhard wrote:

Shut it, fanboy. If you didn't care, you wouldn't still be picking a fight.

I'm not picking a fight. I merely dispelled the assertion you cannot right-click which hasn't been true since about 1990. As to the second half, I was merely attempting to point out if someone says something positive about Apple they are a fanboy, but you can be completely ludicrous in your opinion of a PC and that's all good.

introversional

Postby introversional » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:17 pm

Wow, if the mac v pc debate sparks this much domestic vitriol, I wonder if the topic has the same effect in other countries. Who here has a half-way substantiated knowledge of what asians, russians, indians, etc, think of macs? They're probably outrageously expensive in those counties though - even moreso (relatively speaking) than here of course. Just recently became curious about this...

bk1

Postby bk1 » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:34 pm

introversional wrote:Wow, if the mac v pc debate sparks this much domestic vitriol, I wonder if the topic has the same effect in other countries. Who here has a half-way substantiated knowledge of what asians, russians, indians, etc, think of macs? They're probably outrageously expensive in those counties though - even moreso (relatively speaking) than here of course. Just recently became curious about this...

Clearly those dirty Europeans and Japanese are living in such a level of poverty that the price of a MacBook would be like 3 years' salary for them.

introversional

Postby introversional » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:40 pm

bk1 wrote:
introversional wrote:Wow, if the mac v pc debate sparks this much domestic vitriol, I wonder if the topic has the same effect in other countries. Who here has a half-way substantiated knowledge of what asians, russians, indians, etc, think of macs? They're probably outrageously expensive in those counties though - even moreso (relatively speaking) than here of course. Just recently became curious about this...

Clearly those dirty Europeans and Japanese are living in such a level of poverty that the price of a MacBook would be like 3 years' salary for them.

That's not what I meant dude.

Strange

Postby Strange » Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:48 pm

MAcbooks are good computers but if you're on a law student's budget you should just get a PC....

I plan on getting a Toshiba Portege next year, they are light, great battery life, good specs for the size, unless something else pops up

Im also looking at Asus ultrabooks, sony vaio (in case I want to spend extra).

Zazelmaf

Postby Zazelmaf » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:12 pm

Strange wrote:MAcbooks are good computers but if you're on a law student's budget you should just get a PC....

I plan on getting a Toshiba Portege next year, they are light, great battery life, good specs for the size, unless something else pops up

Im also looking at Asus ultrabooks, sony vaio (in case I want to spend extra).

A law student's budget? What's that? Everyone in my class has macbook airs and could afford to go home for Thanksgiving! Not only that, but they look at shopping sites for stores I will never be able to shop at during class!!!!!!!!!!!

J-e-L-L-o

Postby J-e-L-L-o » Sat Dec 10, 2011 7:09 am

Get a mac. And shortcuts work wonders. Command-Q quits the active program whose title is in the task bar.

Get a pc, then buy anti-virus, and slow your laptop down blah blah..... The last time I bought a pc was in 2007 and after 3 months I wanted to throw it out a window.

Not to mention spotlight, the search feature, that pretty much brings up every instance on your hard drive almost instantly. Great for when you save your notes and pdf files.

Mac + office for mac = winning

*proud Apple fan boi* 8)

soitgoes9

Postby soitgoes9 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:31 am

It does not matter. It's all about what system you prefer. As a former mac user who now has a pc (just to save money) windows is not as bad as it was 5 years ago.

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:46 am

J-e-L-L-o wrote:Get a mac. And shortcuts work wonders. Command-Q quits the active program whose title is in the task bar.

Get a pc, then buy anti-virus, and slow your laptop down blah blah..... The last time I bought a pc was in 2007 and after 3 months I wanted to throw it out a window.

Not to mention spotlight, the search feature, that pretty much brings up every instance on your hard drive almost instantly. Great for when you save your notes and pdf files.

Mac + office for mac = winning

*proud Apple fan boi* 8)

Must...not...take...bait...so...much...stupidity...temptation....overwhelming....

rinkrat19

Postby rinkrat19 » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:14 am

introversional wrote:I've been PC for life; thinking of switching to the Mac-side. (macbook air 13 inch or pro, not sure)

What is the oddest/quirkiest/most unnatural thing I can expect if I do this transition and how long will it feel weird?
Some models (I think the smaller ones? Not sure) don't have a delete key. Well, there's a key that says 'Delete' on it, but it's actually Backspace (deletes the character before the cursor), and there isn't a key that deletes the character after the cursor.

I'm definitely on the PC side. Macs are the opposite of intuitive for me. I stare at the screen and go "where the fuck IS everything?"

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”