University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
UMN-3L
Posts: 32
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:53 pm

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby UMN-3L » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:19 am

t15orbust wrote:
UMN-3L wrote:
somewherewarm wrote:If I may add to this, the ongoing saga of Daniel v. UMN-3L/Minnballs has been a very entertaining diversion while enjoying the doldrums of LSAT studying. When I click on "Ask a Law Student" and see "University of Minnesota 2L/3L Taking Questions" at the top of the list, I'm overcome with excitement.


LOL, I know; it has kind of become my guilty pleasure. (Usually, I know better than to argue with trolls.) But I've said my piece to Daniel 3.14 and I think he's said his to me, so we'll just have to agree to disagree. I will no longer address comments to him.


@UMN-3L: You don't get to "LOL". We're not laughing WITH you, we're laughing AT you.

And you don't get to call a truce after the dude destroys you. Dude ran circles around you for three pages. You have to pay to see someone do that to someone else on the internet... assuming you're over the age of 18 and it's not illegal to view it where you live.

And now after the guy totally destroys you, you're saying that you "agree to disagree". At this point you have zero credibility.

@Daniel3.14: I have been lurking on these forums for a while, and I wanted to thank you for the entertainment and the information. Your classmates sound like they are pricks.


Oh dear, please don't make the mistake of assuming that I ever took Daniel seriously. In my opinion, his complaints are frivolous and his arguments are far removed from reality.

I'm glad that Daniel's hyperbole entertained you. Reading his epic, obscenity-laced rants (which he appears to have spent hours on and labored over so thoroughly that he edited some of his posts 8 times, according to the posts' footnotes) entertained me, too! But I'm a successful student, so I save my energy to perform in real life.

Also, his trollish behavior--cheap shots, trashy language, and sophomoric insults--made it hard for me, as a fellow law student, to take him or his overworked "arguments" seriously. (I can see how it would make an anonymous online fan club swoon, though.)

User avatar
MidwestJosh
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:00 am

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby MidwestJosh » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:42 am

MormonChristian wrote:Thanks for the response. I will do that as soon as I find out what kind of financial aid package UMN offers. I have heard great things about their IP programs. Which is specifically why I applied.


Of course. As you probably know, your package will be entirely based on your numbers. When comparing schools, don't forget to factor in things like living expenses, etc that will affect how much, if any, you have to borrow. Also - make sure to look at the conditions of your financial aid package. Some schools are a bit shady with their scholarship offerings, requiring you to be in the top of your class to keep your scholarship. Since the ABA mandates a forced curve, they can offer more money than they intend on truly giving out. Top law schools generally don't do this. For example, UMN requires a 2.5 to keep your scholarship; and quite frankly, you'd have to work pretty hard to get that kind of gpa.

Best,

--Josh

User avatar
MormonChristian
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby MormonChristian » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:39 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:Thanks for the response. I will do that as soon as I find out what kind of financial aid package UMN offers. I have heard great things about their IP programs. Which is specifically why I applied.


Some schools are a bit shady with their scholarship offerings, requiring you to be in the top of your class to keep your scholarship. Since the ABA mandates a forced curve, they can offer more money than they intend on truly giving out. Top law schools generally don't do this. For example, UMN requires a 2.5 to keep your scholarship; and quite frankly, you'd have to work pretty hard to get that kind of gpa.

Best,

--Josh


Yeah, navigating the scholarship quotas, requirements, and slight of hands is taxing and frustrating.

If UMN requires a 2.5, what percentage of 2nd years keep their scholarships?

User avatar
MidwestJosh
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:00 am

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby MidwestJosh » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:44 pm

MormonChristian wrote:Yeah, navigating the scholarship quotas, requirements, and slight of hands is taxing and frustrating.

If UMN requires a 2.5, what percentage of 2nd years keep their scholarships?


Yeah, I remember that. :-/

Great question. Every single 2L retained their scholarship this year. In any given year, it's generally 0-2 students that lose it.

User avatar
MormonChristian
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby MormonChristian » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:57 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:Yeah, navigating the scholarship quotas, requirements, and slight of hands is taxing and frustrating.

If UMN requires a 2.5, what percentage of 2nd years keep their scholarships?


Yeah, I remember that. :-/

Great question. Every single 2L retained their scholarship this year. In any given year, it's generally 0-2 students that lose it.



To say that is impressive is an understatement.

User avatar
MidwestJosh
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:00 am

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby MidwestJosh » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:31 pm

Great discussion here as well: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=162896&start=75

t15orbust
Posts: 5
Joined: Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:59 am

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby t15orbust » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:34 am

UMN-3L wrote:Oh dear, please don't make the mistake of assuming that I ever took Daniel seriously. In my opinion, his complaints are frivolous and his arguments are far removed from reality.


Your posts hurt Minnesota's reputation way more than anything Daniel ever wrote. Dude annihilates you in argument, and then you claim a truce, and then you start attacking him again, and then you say that his complaints are frivolous and you never took him seriously even though you started this whole thread for the self declared purpose of "countering" him. And you are supposed to be the product of a Minnesota legal education? Nice.

I said you have no credibility because you show yourself to be dishonest. You say that you don't want to talk about Daniel's situation, and then you spend all your time talking about it. You say that you wish him well, and you spend all your time trashing him. It's transparent what you are doing as Daniel has aptly pointed out.

The reason I find Daniel credible is because when he was talking about how ugly your school was, and someone disagreed with him, he took pictures of the place. When someone said the laptops weren't that bad, he made a video showing how long it took to boot up. And when he argues with people, he's hilarious and charismatic and thorough and he backs up all of his statements with argument.

The difference between you and him is that he demonstrates why he is right by arguing the point. You just insist that you are right without offering anything to back up your side. Before he calls you stupid, he dissects your arguments and shows exactly why you are stupid so that anyone can see it. You just INSIST that he's stupid without backing it up.

There's a lot of talk on TLS and most of it is just the same generic stuff. Daniel has the brains and the guts to back his stuff up. And that's why he's got a "fan club", and that's why you look like a prick. We need more posters like him and fewer like you.

User avatar
kerflux
Posts: 196
Joined: Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:58 pm

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby kerflux » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:36 pm

MormonChristian wrote:Yeah, navigating the scholarship quotas, requirements, and slight of hands is taxing and frustrating.

If UMN requires a 2.5, what percentage of 2nd years keep their scholarships?


Image

Oh ye with the slightest of hands

User avatar
drdolittle
Posts: 628
Joined: Tue Mar 09, 2010 4:15 am

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby drdolittle » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:57 pm

daniel3.14 wrote:
somewherewarm wrote:... if you were to start the application process all over again, as an 0L, would you still attend UMN, and what other schools would you consider outside of the T17?

Hi somewherewarm!

Would I still attend UMN if I were to start the application process all over again? Ummmmmm... well, I'd have to say I'm sort of, kind of, maybe leaning towards nah.

No, I would not choose to attend UMN. Other schools outside T17 that I would consider?

Well assuming I weren't just spamming schools with apps, and excluding anything above Vandy, my choices would probably be 1) USC, 2) Fordham/UC Davis, 4) GWU, 5) William and Mary. It'd be a tossup between UC Davis and Fordham. Those would be my applications, and my order of preference. The disparity in money would have to be pretty extreme for me to deviate from that order of preference.

This is where Daniel loses a bit of credibility if anywhere in his poasts re: UMinn Law, which otherwise have been an informative and entertaining read.

Fact is, Fordham, UC Davis, GW, etc. -- but especially Fordham and Davis -- have been roundly criticized on TLS and elsewhere for falsely ensnaring unsuspecting students (like UMinn caught Daniel in its "golden" web) with wild employment claims, insanely high COA's, phony prestige that is in fact ultra regional, etc. Of course none of the criticisms have been as incisive and thorough as Daniel's depiction of UMinn has been. The reality though is that outside of the truly top schools, almost every law school has major inadequacies that have to do with schools jockeying to improve their US News rank. Thus, UMinn and such aspiring "tier 1" schools may ignore facilities, student needs (like actually emphasizing professional skills over esoteric academic training), realistic value, and all the other issues Daniel discussed specifically re: UMinn Law, as long as their numbers that count toward US News ranking stay relatively high.

My point is that schools outside the very top generally will end up disappointing students in a number of ways if they honestly assess their situation upon enrolling. The degree of disappointment will depend on specific expectations, experiences and personality, but it will be there. No one should lose sight of this when picking a school widely regarded as being outside of the very few truly top schools (say, top 3-6?), which can also disappoint, btw. And, for various reasons, the attacks Daniel's experienced here would've almost certainly come too if he'd written about another purportedly top school.

But I think Daniel has done a great job pointing out specific issues at UMinn, the institution he knows best. Btw, comparisons with his brother's UChi help put things into perspective maybe, but the grass is always greener on the other side and Chi is in a different league to begin with, so the comparisons are of limited value; these comparisons were not a major part of his poasts anyway.

To me, the most egregious point he raised has to to do with the admin's unresponsiveness and apparent incompetence, which directly tied into and was the cause of his fall exam debacle (debacle initially being forced to hand write exams for no good reason, not necessarily his grades). Such an asinine policy is hard to believe and is plainly unacceptable at a "top" law school. Any counter argument about the deadline serving as a valuable law school teaching point is just inadequate with the stakes being so high. The other points Daniel raised about UMinn pale in comparison because they arguably have to do with larger institutional policies -- the exam issue would've been so easy to solve.

Also, as he's stated on many occasions, Daniel is not really trying to argue here. He's giving a perspective and backing it up with what he presents as facts. Other UMinn Law students should just offer up their own facts or specific positive experiences and leave it at that. Let the facts/opinions speak for themselves, it's as simple as that. As Daniel's youtube video did about the laughable laptop policy & accompanying laptop.

uofm26
Posts: 4
Joined: Sun Dec 04, 2011 8:50 pm

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby uofm26 » Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:45 pm

MidwestJosh wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:
MidwestJosh wrote:Hi all,

Another 3L here, to hop in the mix. Congrats to the newly admitted students and best of luck to everyone that's pending! Get your apps in ASAP if you haven't. Remember - you're something like 80% less likely to be admitted if you apply in Feb than if you apply in Nov.

I'd be happy to answer questions as well, and I'm more than happy to give candid answers.

Best,

--Josh



Do you interact with many patent law students? Can you tell me much about the program besides what is listed on the webpages?



I know a few, yes. My 1L roommate actually took the patent bar just prior to the school year beginning. He is a joint-degree student, getting a masters in Chemistry on top of his JD. He moved here from the East Coast and, like many students (70% of our matriculants come from out of state), fell in love with the area. There are a surprising number of firms in the Twin Cities that specifically focus on patent litigation. I'm not positive, but I think he has an offer at one of the larger ones. He has been involved with a IP student group that was very active in networking.

Like me, he spent a lot of time and money applying to, visiting, and ultimately choosing a law school. I actually met him right here on TLS. I know he's also very happy with the choice he made.

I apologize I can't speak more directly to the IP student experience; my concentration is labor and employment, but I'd be happy to get you the email address of a few IP focused students if you PM me.

--Josh


Your roommate took the patent bar before his 1L year? Is this common? I'm very interested in IP-specifically patent law. Would you mind messaging an e-mail address or two of IP students to me?

User avatar
MidwestJosh
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:00 am

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby MidwestJosh » Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:55 pm

As a soon to be graduate (knock on wood) of the University of Minnesota Law School, and as someone who spent a significant amount of time and money applying to law school (ultimately choosing Minnesota over several higher ranked schools), I'd like to say a few words regarding my perspective on this school. I have no interest in a lengthy (or tangential) debate or engaging in a personal battle - so let's please treat this forum like what it should be - a collection of professional (and pre-professional) students who will, very shortly, be leaders in our professions and industries.

I will start by saying that I've lurked these forums since early 2007. Prior to law school I had a career in theft and fraud investigations. I started the pre-law club at my undergrad school and have dozens of law-student/lawyer friends that I've known since that time. Since 2008, I have worked in the LSAT test prep and admissions industry. I teach the LSAT and help develop the national pedagogy/curriculum for a national company. I spoke at the Law School Admission Council's Annual Forum in 2010 about ethical recruiting practices and the admissions process from an applicant's perspective. I visited 16 law schools and spent countless hours on this process. I teach as a graduate instructor at the University of Minnesota Political Science department, where I also advise the Pre-Law club and many pre-law students. I work as a student instructor at the law school, and I should disclose that I also work (and I use that word loosely, here) for the admissions office at UMN. I say all of this only to establish the following point: I haven't been caught in anyone's "golden web". I made very conscious, very educated decisions in the process of choosing a law school, and I absolutely suggest that anyone reading this forum do the same.

With that said, there are certain lines that are thrown around on these forums that I think do significant damage to all involved in the law school admissions process. A consensus of sorts seems to develop regarding what is 'commonplace knowledge' that, in reality, isn't rooted in real fact. It's sad, really, because it is this kind of activity that leads to a continued need for something like the US News & World Report, who by all accounts seems to be doing more damage to the admissions process than it does help. (That's not to say that I don't find valid reasons for its existence, because I do.). Specifically, I want to address a few points made on this thread regarding the University of Minnesota Law School.

First of all, 70% of our matriculants are from out of state. Roughly 12% are from Wisconsin/Iowa/Dakotas. In other words, 58% of our students come from schools outside the region. 57% of our students get jobs in the region after graduation, meaning 43% are getting jobs outside the region. We have off campus interview programs in New York, Washington DC, and Los Angeles. I'm not sure how that classifies Minnesota as "ultra-regional". This is a national law school. It's consistently been one of the top 5 public law schools in the United States. In fact, since rankings have existed, Minnesota has been extremely consistent in its ranking. Thus, to suggest that it is engaging in jockeying practices any more or less than other schools with a consistently high rank is downright unfounded.

I agree that an overhaul of the ABA requirements regarding accreditation is needed. I agree that a consideration to capping matriculation (much like the AMA does) is absolutely imperative. I agree that the US News & World Report needs to require more transparency from schools in reporting. But the simple fact is, rankings exist - and institutions have to live with them and make them work for their best advantage. Some law schools have completely lost their integrity in this process, whereas others have made a concerted effort to tow the line as much as possible while still meeting their obligation to their alumni and current/future students to ensure their JD's will remain valuable. Your job, as a pre-law student or a law student, is to (as much as possible) get as much information as possible and assess the validity of it as best you can.

The flaw-hunting microscope can be turned to any law school. But the reality is, the whole picture needs to be taken into account when making a decision to attend law school. People need to do their homework, not just on schools, but the risks they are taking in pursuing higher education in any field. I would like to believe I've done that. All things considered, it has been my conclusion that the University of Minnesota Law School is a prestigious institution that has demonstrated as much integrity as any other law school in the Top 20. I am proud to attend this school and I will be proud to state that my JD is from here for the rest of my life.

--Josh

User avatar
MidwestJosh
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:00 am

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby MidwestJosh » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:25 pm

uofm26 wrote:Your roommate took the patent bar before his 1L year? Is this common? I'm very interested in IP-specifically patent law. Would you mind messaging an e-mail address or two of IP students to me?


Yes, he did. I believe that is actually quite common.

I'll absolutely get you email addresses. Just PM me to remind me!

--Josh

User avatar
MormonChristian
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby MormonChristian » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:26 pm

uofm26 wrote:
MidwestJosh wrote:
MormonChristian wrote:
MidwestJosh wrote:Hi all,

Another 3L here, to hop in the mix. Congrats to the newly admitted students and best of luck to everyone that's pending! Get your apps in ASAP if you haven't. Remember - you're something like 80% less likely to be admitted if you apply in Feb than if you apply in Nov.

I'd be happy to answer questions as well, and I'm more than happy to give candid answers.

Best,

--Josh



Do you interact with many patent law students? Can you tell me much about the program besides what is listed on the webpages?



I know a few, yes. My 1L roommate actually took the patent bar just prior to the school year beginning. He is a joint-degree student, getting a masters in Chemistry on top of his JD. He moved here from the East Coast and, like many students (70% of our matriculants come from out of state), fell in love with the area. There are a surprising number of firms in the Twin Cities that specifically focus on patent litigation. I'm not positive, but I think he has an offer at one of the larger ones. He has been involved with a IP student group that was very active in networking.

Like me, he spent a lot of time and money applying to, visiting, and ultimately choosing a law school. I actually met him right here on TLS. I know he's also very happy with the choice he made.

I apologize I can't speak more directly to the IP student experience; my concentration is labor and employment, but I'd be happy to get you the email address of a few IP focused students if you PM me.

--Josh


Your roommate took the patent bar before his 1L year? Is this common? I'm very interested in IP-specifically patent law. Would you mind messaging an e-mail address or two of IP students to me?


Most patent people take the patent bar between first and second years. Highly motivated and great test takers take it before law school starts. It is easier if you have the cash to take the prep coarse or if you can regurgitate the laws and regulations on your own.

User avatar
MormonChristian
Posts: 214
Joined: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby MormonChristian » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:40 pm

uofm26 wrote:Your roommate took the patent bar before his 1L year? Is this common? I'm very interested in IP-specifically patent law. Would you mind messaging an e-mail address or two of IP students to me?


When the students take the Patent bar is an unofficial gauge of the quality of IP students at the school. I too believe that is a gauge on how dedicated the school is to the IP programs.

One of the questions I ask when interviewing law schools is; How many students take the patent bar and when do they take it? Schools that take care of their patent bar students answer the first question and schools that take care of their students and with high quality students answer the second question.

The ideal answer is usually 10% and before they enter or 1L summer.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby MrAnon » Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:52 pm

Please stop with the "Minnesota is a national school" thing. Tulsa Central State College can sponsor an interview fair in NYC. It doesn't mean its a national school. The very fact that one can debate whether or not its a national school tends to favor the idea that its not a national school. Harvard is a national school, hands down, no question about it. Yale too. Even UVA and Michigan. Those are all national names. Been that way for generations. Sure people do joke that maybe Michigan or UVA is not but mostly thats just joke, their grads are all over. But just because a school proclaims itself a national school doesn't make it so. Claims of self selection are bogus. If a school draws mostly from a certain region, and sends most of its grads back to that region, then its a regional school.

User avatar
MidwestJosh
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:00 am

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby MidwestJosh » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:08 am

MrAnon wrote:Please stop with the "Minnesota is a national school" thing. Tulsa Central State College can sponsor an interview fair in NYC. It doesn't mean its a national school. The very fact that one can debate whether or not its a national school tends to favor the idea that its not a national school. Harvard is a national school, hands down, no question about it. Yale too. Even UVA and Michigan. Those are all national names. Been that way for generations. Sure people do joke that maybe Michigan or UVA is not but mostly thats just joke, their grads are all over. But just because a school proclaims itself a national school doesn't make it so. [...]


It appears you've made this argument with other schools as well. I guess I'm curious as to how your definition of what is considered is a national law school (which I gather to be the the fact that there could be debate over it) trumps my yardstick (which is relying on statistics that you ignored). You have a way of writing in certain terms, implying that your view is the categorically correct one. I disagree - and I do so with a legitimate argument. So please don't instruct me stop saying it as if I'm a naive little child that's gone astray from the obvious.

MrAnon wrote:Claims of self selection are bogus. If a school draws mostly from a certain region, and sends most of its grads back to that region, then its a regional school"

Exactly. My statistics are meant to address that. I guess I'm confused as to whether you even read them. And I'll add that an undergraduate career fair isn't exactly comparable to a law school interview program in the kind of legal markets I mentioned, which have employers of significant stature.

At any rate, my point was rebut the "ultra-regional" comment, which I think is a gross mischaracterization of UMN Law but any standard.

Night folks, see you tomorrow.

--Josh
Last edited by MidwestJosh on Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrAnon
Posts: 1615
Joined: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:08 pm

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby MrAnon » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:20 am

MidwestJosh wrote:
MrAnon wrote:Please stop with the "Minnesota is a national school" thing. Tulsa Central State College can sponsor an interview fair in NYC. It doesn't mean its a national school. The very fact that one can debate whether or not its a national school tends to favor the idea that its not a national school. Harvard is a national school, hands down, no question about it. Yale too. Even UVA and Michigan. Those are all national names. Been that way for generations. Sure people do joke that maybe Michigan or UVA is not but mostly thats just joke, their grads are all over. But just because a school proclaims itself a national school doesn't make it so. Claims of self selection are bogus. If a school draws mostly from a certain region, and sends most of its grads back to that region, then its a regional school.


It appears you've made this argument with other schools as well. I guess I'm curious as to how your definition of what is considered is a national law school (which I gather to be the the fact that there could be debate over it) trumps my yardstick (which is relying on statistics that you ignored). You have a way of writing in certain terms, implying that your view is the categorically correct one. I disagree - and I do so with a legitimate argument. So please don't instruct me stop saying it as if I'm a naive little child that's gone astray from the obvious.

Edit: And I'll add that an undergraduate career fair isn't exactly comparable to a law school interview program in the kind of legal markets I mentioned, which have employers of significant stature.

At any rate, my point was rebut the "ultra-regional" comment, which I think is a gross mischaracterization of UMN Law but any standard.


Look by some metric every school is so-called national. I'm sure University of Georgia grads interview in NYC. I'm sure a couple have interview in LA. I'm sure a couple work in those cities. Does UGA therefore have national reach? Well technically yes but cmon, who are we kidding, even though I bet year after year after year some UGA administrator gets up in front of a crowd of 0Ls and talks about the schools national reach and how the school has reached national prominence. This national school thing is just a marketing ploy that every school tries to grab on to. It gets the attention of 0Ls and it makes current students feel better about their situation. Savvy people get what is really going on.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19658
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby dailygrind » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:23 am

MidwestJosh wrote:57% of our students get jobs in the region after graduation, meaning 43% are getting jobs outside the region.


I'm not sure what the nuances of your numbers are (e.g. if this is upon graduation, 9 months out, in 10 years, or what), but this appears to imply that you're looking at 100% employment numbers.

User avatar
MidwestJosh
Posts: 204
Joined: Tue Dec 30, 2008 4:00 am

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby MidwestJosh » Fri Dec 09, 2011 12:30 am

dailygrind wrote:
MidwestJosh wrote:57% of our students get jobs in the region after graduation, meaning 43% are getting jobs outside the region.


I'm not sure what the nuances of your numbers are (e.g. if this is upon graduation, 9 months out, in 10 years, or what), but this appears to imply that you're looking at 100% employment numbers.



Good question. I actually don't know the nuance of that, which is a fair point. I'll look into it.

I look at it this way: 58% of our students come from outside the 5 state area. 43% (we'll figure out exactly what this is 43% of...) leave. I call that national. But again, let's not lose sight of the fact that my real point was to argue against the earlier comment that UMN Law is "ultra regional" We may ultimately conclude that it's semi-national/regional or something like that. But no way is this school "ultra regional", which I think is entirely unfair to say. That's all.

I really do have to hit they hay though. See you all tomorrow.

jdamond
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:39 pm

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby jdamond » Fri Dec 09, 2011 1:38 am

Another 3L from University of Minnesota here. For the record, I agree with daniel3.14. And I think that this thread is the best thing. Ever.

Minnesota is a regional school by any reasonable use of the word. The good thing is that it dominates its region. The bad thing is that you are shit out of luck if you want to work anywhere else. And double bad thing is that the region doesn't have a market that can absorb the number of law graduates that get pumped out of here, so we get a lot less than 100% employment. What I heard was that MAYBE 5 people will get hired at FIRMS outside of the TC area. That is not percent, it's people.

If you're talking law firm hires, then the number is like one in five. Fewer than 20% get firm jobs within a year of graduating. The career center people told me that info, so I think it's probably pretty accurate. I got lucky, and I have gotten assurances from my summer job that I will have place there for me if I want it. But 80% of my classmates will not be so lucky.


I'd also like to vouch for daniel3.14. Everything he says about this place is exactly right. I didn't realize how bad the totality of it was until I read it all listed in his posts. You sort of get to accepting things that you deal with everyday, and it all blends together. But he did a fan-fucking-tastic job of breaking it down point by point. It's a little bit shocking when you see it all in front of you like that condensed in one place, but there isn't a single fact that he got wrong or distorted. If anything he is too generous to the school. The teachers are about what I expected, nothing more, nothing less. He makes it seem like they are a lot better than they are.

If I had it to do over then I would go to any other school ranked in the top 25. I did okay here, but I got lucky, and it is really fucking bad here. Really. Fucking. Bad. Bad atmosphere, bad building, bad curriculum, and fucking TERRIBLE staff. At this point anyone stupid enough to come here after reading all this stuff deserves what they get.

PeAcE oUt dudz...

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:52 pm

..

User avatar
minnbills
Posts: 3153
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 2:04 pm

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby minnbills » Fri Dec 09, 2011 2:56 pm

^ that's interesting. I wonder who it was?

User avatar
YCrevolution
Posts: 4714
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:25 am

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby YCrevolution » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:19 pm

..

User avatar
somewherewarm
Posts: 91
Joined: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:28 am

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby somewherewarm » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:27 pm

YCrevolution wrote:
minnbills wrote:^ that's interesting. I wonder who it was?

Their (involuntary) silence will speak louder than their words.


This thread just got very interesting... I'll bring the popcorn Minnbills.

Side Note: I've been suspicious of this and it's good to see that I wasn't completely off base.

dusk2k2
Posts: 79
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:59 pm

Re: University of Minnesota 3L taking questions...

Postby dusk2k2 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:37 pm

Just curious if the Minnesota 3L's posting in this thread could tell us a little about their job prospects. Especially helpful would be whether you have a big law offer (since majority of this board goes to law school with big law aspirations).

Of my own 2L class, I can't imagine much more than 30 people have a biglaw SA lined up.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: deepseapartners, Google Adsense [Bot], lonola and 3 guests