How much does the school you attend matter for JAG?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Alexandros1886

How much does the school you attend matter for JAG?

Postby Alexandros1886 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:50 pm

I'm in the process of applying for law school and while I plan on applying around I most likely will end up attending the University of Cincinnati or University of Akron. My question is how much does it matter if I would like to join the JAG corp afterwards (likely Marines)? Cinci is a T2 school, currently ranked 61 and AkronU is a T3 school. Does the military look heavily at the ranking of the school you attend? Anyone have any opinions or advice?

lrslayer

Re: How much does the school you attend matter for JAG?

Postby lrslayer » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:56 pm

Alexandros1886 wrote:I'm in the process of applying for law school and while I plan on applying around I most likely will end up attending the University of Cincinnati or University of Akron. My question is how much does it matter if I would like to join the JAG corp afterwards (likely Marines)? Cinci is a T2 school, currently ranked 61 and AkronU is a T3 school. Does the military look heavily at the ranking of the school you attend? Anyone have any opinions or advice?

jag is incredibly selective. something to the tune of less than 5% of applicants get in. so this means school definitely matters

npe

Postby npe » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:05 pm

lrslayer wrote:
Alexandros1886 wrote:I'm in the process of applying for law school and while I plan on applying around I most likely will end up attending the University of Cincinnati or University of Akron. My question is how much does it matter if I would like to join the JAG corp afterwards (likely Marines)? Cinci is a T2 school, currently ranked 61 and AkronU is a T3 school. Does the military look heavily at the ranking of the school you attend? Anyone have any opinions or advice?

jag is incredibly selective. something to the tune of less than 5% of applicants get in. so this means school definitely matters

error: does_not_follow
Abort, Retry, Fail?

cinephile

Postby cinephile » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:20 pm

What's your backup plan if you don't get into JAG? If you'd be happy working in southwestern Ohio, go to UC, if you'd rather be in the northeast, go to Case. Or just go to OSU.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:23 pm

Moving this over to the Ask a Law Student forum, per this announcement.

3L Student

Postby 3L Student » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:21 pm

School does not matter that much.

I interned with the AF JAG corp this last summer, and I got a good taste for what it takes. The most import part is that you have solid grades (top 25% is desirable), some solid work experience, and you ace your one interview with the 0-6 at your local base (for Air Force) at least.

All of the JAG attorneys in my office were from TTTs, except for one who was from a T1, and one from a T20 (it was a large office with about 12 attorneys). I was the only one from a T10. I tried not to talk about law schools or where I went, but I still ended up overhearing a few conversations about how "of course I act that way, I go to X school," which was a big turn-off for me.

It's interesting to note that more than half of the attorneys had a few years of work experience, either before or after law school, under their belts.

For AF JAG, what matters most probably is your interview with the 0-6 at the local base. He/she will write a review saying "yes" or "no" essentially, and then a board will look over your stats along with the commander's decision. If he/she says no, then you are sunk. If he or she says yes, then they will examine your profile more carefully. When I spoke to the commander at my base, he said to me on my first day: "Ivy League applicants are a dime a dozen. I look for work experience and fit." Since I never brought up the Ivy League thing, that was a great welcome. =\ Choose the best school that you can get into, but it doesn't talk a top school to get into JAG, and it might even hurt you.

thementor31337

Postby thementor31337 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:58 pm

I can tell you from experience that your law school does not matter for the Marine Corps. I worked at The Basic School for 4+ years while on active duty and we had law contracts that were from Cooley. As long as your school is ABA accredited, you're good. We've also had Lt's that failed the bar on the first attempt and still were able to come in after passing. If you do decide to go the Marine Corps route, make sure you sign into the Platoon Leaders' Course (PLC) Law program prior to going to law school. This will enable you to get creditable service time while in law school and be promoted with your peers. This means that when you get to TBS (after passing bar exam) you will be a 1stLt instead of 2ndLt and get paid more $$. Check out the info on this link: http://www.marineofficerprograms.com/pa ... fficer.php The other option is OCC law, basically you will go to OCS and commission after the completion of law school. PLC Law is the way to go though if you're going to do it. Chances are you'll be a Captain before your first year of active duty is up. Also, if you have any questions about what it's like at TBS/OCS or anything else about Marine Corps officer life, at least in the beginning, let me know, like I said, I had the fortunate experience of working with Lt's for the last 4+ years.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”