Future Law Student, how to make best of working at firm?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Anonymous User

Future Law Student, how to make best of working at firm?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:12 pm

Cliffs:

-Taking LSAT in Feb., enrolling in law school in 2013 (hopefully)
-Recently started working at solo practice firm (plaintiff PI)
-My boss (the solo practioner) is the last one left at the firm, all other partners passed away
-Boss is getting old (late 50's), I realized at some point he must retire
-He expressed interest during initial interview that he would like to have his other law clerk return to his firm once he graduates (old law clerk started law school this year)
-Realized the above could apply to me, if I prove myself
-Only me and his secretary work there, secretary tells me she is leaving at the end of the year
-Leaves only me and a yet-to-be-hired secretary
-I become his "right hand" assistant?
-Now "jumping the gun"/dreaming I will take over his firm one day when he retires.

Is the last not far-fetched? My boss has wayyyyy too many cases to handle and hires per diems to cover most of his Deps, Arbs and oral arguments. How do I prove myself in the next 2 years before I go to law school and secure my position there (I'm 22)? Is it heard of a young associate/partner being "given" the firm with the original partner still given a percentage of net income from cases? This is guy is making ridiculous amounts of money, gets about 10 new clients a week, sits on the cases for about 2 years and gets ridiculous checks from insurance companies and takes 33 1/3 of it for fees (obviously). My guess is he is netting at least 600k/year, probably more.

I typed this up very quickly I hope you guys understand what it is I am trying to say.

dailygrind

Re: Future Law Student, how to make best of working at firm?

Postby dailygrind » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:20 pm

Moving this over to the Ask a Law Student forum, as this forum is geared towards current law students.

Donnis

Postby Donnis » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:25 pm

Sorry, I guess this is more of a general law employment question. More geared towards people already employed.

lawschoolgrapedme

Postby lawschoolgrapedme » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Cliffs:

-My boss (the solo practioner) is the last one left at the firm, all other partners passed away
-He expressed interest during initial interview that he would like to have his other law clerk return to his firm once he graduates (old law clerk started law school this year)
-Only me and his secretary work there, secretary tells me she is leaving at the end of the year
-Now "jumping the gun"/dreaming I will take over his firm one day when he retires.

Is the last not far-fetched? My boss has wayyyyy too many cases to handle and hires per diems to cover most of his Deps, Arbs and oral arguments. How do I prove myself in the next 2 years before I go to law school and secure my position there (I'm 22)? Is it heard of a young associate/partner being "given" the firm with the original partner still given a percentage of net income from cases? This is guy is making ridiculous amounts of money, gets about 10 new clients a week, sits on the cases for about 2 years and gets ridiculous checks from insurance companies and takes 33 1/3 of it for fees (obviously). My guess is he is netting at least 600k/year, probably more.

I typed this up very quickly I hope you guys understand what it is I am trying to say.

do you really think these clients are going to be alright with going from an experienced partner with decades of experience to a newly minted law grad with none? Solo straight out is not easy nor advised.

Donnis

Postby Donnis » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:38 pm

lawschoolgrapedme wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cliffs:

do you really think these clients are going to be alright with going from an experienced partner with decades of experience to a newly minted law grad with none? Solo straight out is not easy nor advised.

Didn't mean solo straight out. At least 5-10 years experience at his solo firm and transition it to myself. Only reason I am asking is because this is a one man show and my boss is drowning in cases.

okinawa

Postby okinawa » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:32 pm

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”