Notre Dame 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
pittrulez

New

Notre Dame 1L Taking Questions

Post by pittrulez » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:20 am

This forum was a big help to me when I was picking a school. Feel free to ask any questions you may have and I'll do my best to answer them.

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Re: Notre Dame 1L Taking Questions

Post by Transferthrowaway » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:22 am

How do you feel about the fact that a layperson is more impressed by the Notre Dame name than UChicago?

pittrulez

New

Post by pittrulez » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:34 am

As I began the selection process and began studying the rankings, I was myself surprised that UChicago was ranked so highly. I was unaware of the status of their law school and felt the same way an a layperson does. I would have assumed ND was the better and more impressive school. I raised a similar question, "How important is the prestige of ND to a layperson?" Generally what I've learned is that prospective employers and interviewers are naturally more knowledgeable of the lofty status of UChicago v. ND. Although a layperson is generally more impressed by the ND name, likely due to a lack of knowledge of many of the other top school, I feel that it provides you with recognition by the layperson but doesn't have much affect when dealing with professionals in the legal field. That said, ND evokes more loyalty and emotion among their alumni than a lot of the other top schools, and that is a huge factor to me. Therefore, being a member of the "NDLS community" and alumni network can be utilized to a much further, beneficial extent than many other top schools.

bigtexmex

Bronze

Post by bigtexmex » Fri Oct 28, 2011 4:59 pm

How are you liking South Bend?

Also, maybe you might not now this yet, but what are you hearing about employment opportunities?

Finally, (I'm not trying to stir up anything about religion) what is the religious feel of the school? I'm sure it's probably welcoming to non-Catholics, but I'm just curious about it.

steubenville

New

Post by steubenville » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:15 pm

Current 2L at ND.
pittrulez wrote: Also, maybe you might not now this yet, but what are you hearing about employment opportunities?
We had more firms come for OCI this year than last year. I personally know people who have summer offers from large firms in NY, Boston, Cleveland, and Cincinnati, and I'm sure that some Chicago, Indiana, California, and DC offers have been extended as well (judging by the high number of Chicago firms at OCI and our pedigree in the other-named markets). However, you still want to be in the top 15-20% and have law review or outstanding softs (though oddly enough, I know a kid barely in the top 1/2 who landed a great 2L firm summer job). This is more a reflection of the market we're in than anything. Now's a distressing time to be a law student bent on Big Law. For those not interested in Big Law, however, the ND name still carries weight. As someone roughly top 1/3, I am not expecting to have much trouble landing a job, though I am interested in public interest law.
pittrulez wrote: Finally, (I'm not trying to stir up anything about religion) what is the religious feel of the school? I'm sure it's probably welcoming to non-Catholics, but I'm just curious about it.
I consider myself quite religious, which was one of the reasons I decided to come here. However, ND does not really impose Catholicism on anyone. I say "not really" because there is a chapel, Catholic statues, a bunch of "law and religion classes" and talk about Catholicism in the mission of the law school. This is not to mention the generally conservative and Catholic (but also phenomenally distinguished) faculty. However, there are many people here (probably over half the class) that I can say from personal experience do not fervently practice religion.

Also, almost everyone here is nice and tolerant, especially after 1L. We don't rank. And quite frankly, I'm willing to bet that a lot of the Catholic faculty members thought it would be "un-Catholic" to rank. ND is all about the "intellectual community," which they are adamant includes people with no faith or other faiths.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pittrulez

New

Post by pittrulez » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:27 pm

How are you liking South Bend?
It really all depends on what kind of setting you're looking to experience while you're in law school and where you have lived prior to coming to South Bend. I have enjoyed it here because it's not quite the raucous atmosphere that you will experience in other "college towns." It's a middle sized Mid-West town similar to so many others. A very large commercial and shopping strip has popped up in the past few years and gives you access to just about any store, restaurant, etc. you could hope for. It is situated not far from Lake Michigan so the winters can be pretty long, cold, and snowy, which may be an adjustment for incoming students accustomed to living in a warmer climate. As far as the social life, there isn't an overabundance of bars and places to go out here in South Bend, but there are enough to provide students with a nice opportunity to get out and "decompress" from all the reading. There's also a really nice new collection of bars and restaurants directly across from campus that a long of students hang out at. In addition, the campus is beautiful and unparalleled in my estimation, with a relatively quiet atmosphere which provides a great backdrop and atmosphere to study the law.

Finally, (I'm not trying to stir up anything about religion) what is the religious feel of the school? I'm sure it's probably welcoming to non-Catholics, but I'm just curious about it
From my experience as a student who isn't very religious, this gave me some trepidation as I decided whether to attend NDLS. Steubenville has already covered it pretty well, but I just wanted to add my experiences to the mix. Catholicism is certainly the foundation of the university's mission and identify, however, it is very accomadating and accepting of students of all faiths. Notre Dame prides itself on its diversity, and this is evidenced by the accepting and nonjudgemental nature of the school's faculty, professors, and fellow students. Some activities will be geared toward Catholicism, some students will more strongly identify with their Catholic background, and you will see the statues, but there is very little to no undue pressure or condescension toward non-Catholics. My concerns as a non-Catholic were quickly allayed the first days of school and I have felt very welcomed and comfortable here.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:38 pm

Do you live off campus? If so, have you been robbed yet?

topper10s

New

Post by topper10s » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:05 am

Last edited by topper10s on Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Nov 25, 2011 8:12 am

@stuebenville: You wrote that "we don't rank", yet you also wrote about necessary class rank for biglaw & about a classmate's class rank. Can you elaborate ?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

AllieF

New

Post by AllieF » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:12 pm

What do you suggest doing for housing? I am leaning towards getting a 1 bedroom apt off campus (not huge into the idea of being randomly assigned a roommate, etc), but I want to make sure that it won't be isolating. Do you find that most law students live in the on campus apartments, or is it just as common to live off campus? Would it be a huge disadvantage socially to live alone?

Lvaughn714

Bronze

Post by Lvaughn714 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:35 pm

AllieF wrote:What do you suggest doing for housing? I am leaning towards getting a 1 bedroom apt off campus (not huge into the idea of being randomly assigned a roommate, etc), but I want to make sure that it won't be isolating. Do you find that most law students live in the on campus apartments, or is it just as common to live off campus? Would it be a huge disadvantage socially to live alone?
Not sure about the social aspect but I wouldn't feel very safe as a female living alone in south bend. I'm also a person who prefers living alone in general especially after some bad roommate experiences but in terms of housing options and security I just don't feel like its smart in South Bend.

XxMVPxX

New

Post by XxMVPxX » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:47 pm

Do you live in Fischer or O'Hara-Grace, how is it, and which of the two would you recommend?

JCUGuy0428

New

Post by JCUGuy0428 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:18 am

Fischer. O'Hara Grace is older and you have three roommates, with no air conditioning (which to be fair only matters for about a month). I think the having only one roommate, more space, and nicer furnishings is worth the extra (I think) 100$ a month, but if you are looking for an easy place to save some money, O'Hara isn't too bad of an option.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”