Baylor Law Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
msbbd559

New

Re: Baylor Law

Post by msbbd559 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:25 am

Baylor is only worth $40k/year if you're a complete and total masochist.
That being said, it's very unlikely that you'd get no scholarship at all. Baylor hands out scholarships like candy on Halloween.
(Not that you get to celebrate Halloween at Baylor, because it's during fall finals. Also, Easter is sometimes during spring finals.)

Don't let anyone trick you: the quarter system is horrible. The only way you would ever think otherwise is if you were still in your first quarter. I don't mean to make any digs, but I didn't realize how bad it was until I finished my first set of finals on a Friday, only to realize that I had to hunker down and start reading for 2nd quarter, which started the following Monday.

In third year, there's the practice court program. I'm not in it yet, but I think it's basically like boot camp: You come out stronger, but you sure get your ass kicked while you're in it. This program is a HUGE part of the Baylor experience, so anyone who's seriously looking into Baylor should make sure to ask admissions and tour guides a lot of questions. They tend to gloss over it, so they don't scare people off.

Waco really isn't that bad. There are a lot of good restaurants and most of the big chain stores. And it's only 1.5 hrs each way to Dallas or Austin (which, for Texas, is pretty close).
But Waco does have a lot of shady areas. More than "some."

The building is fantastic, though. It's got a great location. And most of the professors are amazing. It's also a pretty small school, so it's easy to make friends. Also, about 2/3 of us are Texans, so we're pretty friendly. :wink:

Titleist

Silver

Post by Titleist » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:18 am

Is the quarter system bad enough to make you regret going to Baylor? Or is it simply something you put up with and get use to?

msbbd559

New

Post by msbbd559 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:46 am

The quarter system alone is not enough reason to not go to Baylor. At the start of a new quarter, professors are really understanding. Also Decemer is quite pleasant without exams.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Oct 28, 2011 11:28 am

How many courses per quarter for 1Ls ?

msbbd559

New

Post by msbbd559 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:13 pm

1Q: 5 classes at 14.5 hours, but one is a 1 hour intro class.
2Q: 5 classes at 15.5 hours - definitely very intense
3Q: 4 classes at 12 hours - this is when you're required to compete in moot court and write a brief, so having fewer hours doesn't mean you're not busy

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”