CLS 2L bored and taking q's

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
piccolittle

Re: CLS 2L bored and taking q's

Postby piccolittle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:51 pm

Mark_LS wrote:
piccolittle wrote:Bumping this and jumping in now that I finished my last exam (YAY!). 1L and loving it.

You were a UK foreign applicant right? I'm basically you, minus one year.

Sorry for the really broad question, but how does the schooling compare?

Hey, sorry it took me so long to respond, I've been winding down from exams - it feels good to be free.

I really like this question. I have to say, the schooling is pretty similar to what we've been used to, except there are exams in December as well and your courses run by semester. I think if you were a good student in the UK, you will be pretty well prepared to handle the work here. The main issue is that no one is looking after you and making you do the work - that's normal for me, but I know for some people it is a little disconcerting to have the entire grade based on one exam. I wasn't a particularly good student in the UK, so I find it difficult to make myself go to class when I'm so used to messing around all year and cramming everything in last minute before the exam. So, you may have different struggles depending on your experiences before.

In terms of lectures, they are more like a mix between lectures and tutorials in the UK. Most of your classes will be pretty big (say 100 people per lecture hall), but you will be expected to participate. I actually got away with saying very little in my big classes (I was cold-called once in Torts and not at all in Civ Pro), and would volunteer occasionally in my "small class" of about 30 people. Be sure to read the advice guides here and don't get sucked in to the herd mentality of only thinking about preparation for class. Your professors will have very different styles - only one of mine was entirely student-driven, and I have to say that was probably my worst class. We didn't get anything done because he was grilling people on the minute details. My favorite professor (who was visiting, so you may not have him if you come) would call on people but would finish your sentence or rephrase what you said if you were struggling. Class is definitely not as scary as it sounds, or as it seems in the first couple of weeks.

I also found that the school is way more concerned with your experience and well-being than mine were in the UK. Everyone in the administration is extremely accessible, and during exam times they did things like set aside quiet study rooms with snacks, have professors serve up a midnight pancake buffet, and had a champagne toast for all the 1Ls after our last exam. I think the only thing that makes law school stressful is the way your fellow students whip themselves into a frenzy. Get to know your professors (office hours are awesome), join a few clubs, take advantage of the free stuff, make a semester-long study plan and stick to it. This school is amazing and it's worth taking full advantage of.

I didn't see if you've already been admitted or not, but either way, hope to see you here!

UnitarySpace wrote:You won't find out until the semester starts. Some people last year waited a month after that.

Is that true even for LPW and our small classes? I've been feeling stalkery and I had a suspicion that grades were imminent in the class once we could see the course evaluation reports. Am I reading too much into that? lol

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:55 pm

The registrar will send you an automatic message that grades have been posted, though it's usually delayed about a day after they're actually posted on lawnet.

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:58 pm

piccolittle wrote:
Is that true even for LPW and our small classes? I've been feeling stalkery and I had a suspicion that grades were imminent in the class once we could see the course evaluation reports. Am I reading too much into that? lol

Small classes take about a month.

The administration has indicated that they give soft cutoffs to professors - 4 weeks for classes for classes under 100, 6 weeks for classes 100 and above. Some professors try to stick sort of close to these guidelines, some professors ignore them entirely and have to be harassed by the administration for their grades.

edit: LPW is quicker.

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:02 pm

Ok thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Mark_LS

Postby Mark_LS » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:27 pm

piccolittle wrote:Generally helpful stuff

Cheers mate, that really does help a lot! Couple more for you, if you're feeling generous:

1) Any suggestions as to how to structure a semester-long study plan?
2) How much hassle is the visa process?

Oh, and I was admitted! I don't know if you remember, but you gave me advice some months ago regarding the LSAT scores etc. that I'd need to get to get into CLS. Turns out, you were right!

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Sun Jan 01, 2012 2:24 pm

Mark_LS wrote:
piccolittle wrote:Generally helpful stuff

Cheers mate, that really does help a lot! Couple more for you, if you're feeling generous:

1) Any suggestions as to how to structure a semester-long study plan?
2) How much hassle is the visa process?

Oh, and I was admitted! I don't know if you remember, but you gave me advice some months ago regarding the LSAT scores etc. that I'd need to get to get into CLS. Turns out, you were right!

Congrats! You're going to love it here. Sorry it took me ages to respond - the holidays and the recent plentiful free time made me super lazy :)

1) In terms of the study plan, I would just generally read the advice threads on this site (which I'm sure you're doing already). By a study plan, I basically just mean you should map out how you're going to use your casebooks/supplements/outlining time, and stick to it. The thing that really bit me this semester was not having a clear plan of when I was going to read my supplements etc, so I ended up catching up on a lot at the end, close to exams.

2) Couldn't tell you about the visa process, unfortunately; I'm a dual citizen and grew up in the States so I didn't need a visa. There are plenty of other CLS students who are true internationals who might be able to help you with this, though.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”