CLS 2L bored and taking q's

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ExAnt3

CLS 2L bored and taking q's

Postby ExAnt3 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:05 pm

Ready, go.

freestallion

Re: CLS 2L bored and taking q's

Postby freestallion » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:19 pm

Why did you choose CLS?

What are the best and worst things about CLS?

ExAnt3

Postby ExAnt3 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:27 pm

I really like being at CLS. I chose CLS primarily because it would give me the best chance at biglaw (which I am actually looking forward to- I'll be at a v30 next summer).

Like I said, I love CLS. But if I had to pick a least favorite thing, it would be the few token gunners who act like they know more than everyone. But that comes with the territory I guess.

tlstlstls73

Postby tlstlstls73 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:57 pm

Shouldn't this be in the law schools forum?

sven

Postby sven » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:11 pm

Thanks for doing this! I have a couple of basic questions.

Do most people live in law student housing or do they find their own apartments uptown?

Also, did you consider going to NYU? If so, what made you choose Columbia?

And also, I've heard from a number of people that Columbia has a bit of a gunner problem (I think you alluded to this in your previous response, too). Obviously, I know that there are tons of great students, but what exactly about having one or two annoying gunner-types makes it your "least-favorite" thing? I mean, in college I always had class with kids that love to hear themselves talk. It was annoying but nobody thought too much of it. Are they particularly awful or numerous or something over at CLS?

ExAnt3

Postby ExAnt3 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:12 pm

tlstlstls73 wrote:Shouldn't this be in the law schools forum?

Hm, that's a good point. I'm not sure. Mods?

ExAnt3

Postby ExAnt3 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:20 pm

sven wrote:Thanks for doing this! I have a couple of basic questions.

Do most people live in law student housing or do they find their own apartments uptown?

Also, did you consider going to NYU? If so, what made you choose Columbia?

And also, I've heard from a number of people that Columbia has a bit of a gunner problem (I think you alluded to this in your previous response, too). Obviously, I know that there are tons of great students, but what exactly about having one or two annoying gunner-types makes it your "least-favorite" thing? I mean, in college I always had class with kids that love to hear themselves talk. It was annoying but nobody thought too much of it. Are they particularly awful or numerous or something over at CLS?

Most people live in university housing, which is pretty solid and inexpensive, at least it can be. I have a few friends who were not in university housing 1L year and they regretted it.

I was considering NYU, but chose Columbia for a few reasons. I didn't like the feel at NYU, NYU doesn't (or at least didn't) guarantee housing for all three years, and I thought my chances at landing a biglaw gig would be better at Columbia (which may or may not actually be true).

Honestly, the gunners aren't that big of a deal- they're just annoying because more often than not their comments and "insights" are completely irrelevant. I'd much rather hear what the professors have to say. I'm not sure that Columbia has a bigger gunner problem than other comparable schools. Don't let them discourage you from applying. Otherwise, the gunners win.

sven

Postby sven » Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:28 pm

ExAnt3 wrote:Honestly, the gunners aren't that big of a deal- they're just annoying because more often than not their comments and "insights" are completely irrelevant. I'd much rather hear what the professors have to say. I'm not sure that Columbia has a bigger gunner problem than other comparable schools. Don't let them discourage you from applying. Otherwise, the gunners win.

:lol: Thanks.

zomginternets

Postby zomginternets » Fri Oct 14, 2011 5:52 pm

any interest in academia, and if so, how well you think CLS is prepping you for it?

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Oct 17, 2011 9:33 am

Are you still here? If so, do you know anything about the JD/LLM in London program? That's one of the main reasons I'm interested in CLS. Do you know anyone doing it? How hard is it to get into it?

ExAnt3

Postby ExAnt3 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:22 am

Sorry for the absence- I was out of town for the weekend.

I don't have any interest in academia, sorry. I can't really speak to how well CLS prepares you for it, or what kind of preparation/resources other institutions offer. Sorry.

I have a friend who was considering the London program, but I don't know much about it. I'll ask and try and post a response later today.

freestallion

Postby freestallion » Mon Oct 17, 2011 10:31 am

ExAnt3 wrote:I have a friend who was considering the London program, but I don't know much about it. I'll ask and try and post a response later today.

Thanks!

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Is it true that, when excavating for the foundation of the law school, the workers recovered a human tibia believed to have belonged to Justice Iredell?

booasa

Postby booasa » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:17 pm

johnnyutah wrote:Is it true that, when excavating for the foundation of the law school, the workers recovered a human tibia believed to have belonged to Justice Iredell?

Very clever. Are you from North Carolina?

ExAnt3

Postby ExAnt3 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:26 pm

johnnyutah wrote:Is it true that, when excavating for the foundation of the law school, the workers recovered a human tibia believed to have belonged to Justice Iredell?

apollo13

Postby apollo13 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:13 am

Hey exant3, thank you for taking your time answering Q's.
Well, I have one. I go to one of the schools in the CUNY system, and my schools in the middle of the City (go figure). I am just wondering how social relationship works out at Columbia Law. Coming from another state, transitioning into my school was a bit hard since the majority of the student population is NYC native and they brought their own pre-existing social groups.

Also, what were your credentials, in terms of your admission.

Zabini

Postby Zabini » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:01 pm

1L here, not in the mood to do outlining atm and generally a bit bored so I'll answer questions if anyone's got em

Coming from another state, transitioning into my school was a bit hard since the majority of the student population is NYC native and they brought their own pre-existing social groups.

I wouldn't worry about that. CLS students are from all over, and no ones looking to exclude anyone based on some sort of pre-existing clique.

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:07 pm

apollo13 wrote:Hey exant3, thank you for taking your time answering Q's.
Well, I have one. I go to one of the schools in the CUNY system, and my schools in the middle of the City (go figure). .

John Jay blows hard.

apollo13

Postby apollo13 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:27 am

fatpeopleavenger wrote:
Well, I have one. I go to one of the schools in the CUNY system, and my schools in the middle of the City (go figure). .

John Jay blows hard.

It does, but my school blows harder. (go figure)

fatpeopleavenger

Postby fatpeopleavenger » Tue Nov 22, 2011 1:28 am

apollo13 wrote:
fatpeopleavenger wrote:

John Jay blows hard.

It does, but my school blows harder. (go figure)

If it's not JJAY then it has to be Hunter. You guys are bunch of artsie fartsies over there.

piccolittle

Postby piccolittle » Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:31 pm

Bumping this and jumping in now that I finished my last exam (YAY!). 1L and loving it.

Mark_LS

Postby Mark_LS » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:56 pm

piccolittle wrote:Bumping this and jumping in now that I finished my last exam (YAY!). 1L and loving it.

You were a UK foreign applicant right? I'm basically you, minus one year.

Sorry for the really broad question, but how does the schooling compare?

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:16 pm

Hopefully I'm not crashing the party with my 1L question...when grades come out, do we get some sort of automatic email notification? Or is it up to whether or not the prof sends something out, or what? Gotta plan my neurotic checking for a month from now...

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:22 pm

You won't find out until the semester starts. Some people last year waited a month after that.

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:47 pm

Right, I understand it's slow. I'm just wondering if letting my email auto-check is all I will need to do (a month from now), or if you actually have to check lawnet once in a while (a month from now) to see if grades are posted?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”