Indiana University School of Law, Bloomington Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
indiana_student

New

Re: Indiana University School of Law, Bloomington

Post by indiana_student » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:56 am

The "wildest" area are the apartments directly across the street from the two stadiums. (Especially the Villas, they are your classic undergrad party area). About $350/month

The Commons are nice, but are full of undergrads. They aren't as loud because they aren't all that close to the campus or bar scene. They are on one of the two city/campus bus lines and thus convenient from that standpoint (that line picks up at the Commons and one of the stops is the law school. It runs about every 15 minutes in the day time). $500/month

The apartments on College Avenue (Smallwood especially) are very popular and loud and by the most popular bar (Kilroy's Sports). You couldn't get in off of the waitlist there.

I live in Brownstone, and although there are a lot of undergrads it is a quiet complex. They are pretty nice. A 15 minute walk to the law school (about three minutes from the edge of campus). Two blocks from the other campus/city bus line (runs every 20 minute), and a less frequent (hourly) campus bus line picks up at the complex. Both of those bus lines let off close to the law school. $440/month

The houses east of the campus (just past Eigenmann and Forest dorms) are pretty cheap ($550 for a one bedroom or $700 for a two bedroom). They are on the opposite side of campus from the law school. The campus is really large, so you'd have to take a bus from these houses. They are low key and a good number of grad students live in this area.

Burnham is roughly two blocks from the law school, but is pretty loud. Rent is $900 for a two bedroom. Kirkwood is also two blocks from this area. You will quickly learn that Kirkwood is popular with the students, even many of the grad students/alums (especially Nicks).

These are some of the immediate areas that came to mind. Let me know if you have anything in particular you want to know about. Many of the complexes are full of undergrads (there are 30,000 of them), but some are still fairly quiet. You can a decent place with enough room for $400-$500. $600-$700 will get you a really nice place.

welkin

New

Post by welkin » Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:47 pm

indiana_student wrote: I live in Brownstone, and although there are a lot of undergrads it is a quiet complex. They are pretty nice. A 15 minute walk to the law school (about three minutes from the edge of campus). Two blocks from the other campus/city bus line (runs every 20 minute), and a less frequent (hourly) campus bus line picks up at the complex. Both of those bus lines let off close to the law school. $440/month
Ooh $440 sounds like my price. The cheapest thing I've been able to find is $500 for a studio (I walked through it and its tiny, of course, though I guess that doesn't matter so much).

crobbins3

New

Post by crobbins3 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:32 pm

I'm class of 2012 and have this available:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1215372958
--LinkRemoved--.

1 bedroom, 1 bathroom ground floor apt. - BRAND NEW, only one graduate student occupant since construction. Furnished, in-unit washer and dryer, patio. Rent includes water, internet, and cable TV. Walk to Kroger, College Mall, or several bus stops. Unbeatable amenities (pool, tanning, fitness, etc.). Available May, June, and July. Call (812) 333-9868 and ask about unit 3101-4.

Good luck! Objectively speaking, living near the law school is nice, but I chose to live about five minutes away because I can get way more apartment for my money, and taking the bus is so easy, I don't even bother driving to school.

zla2014

Bronze

Post by zla2014 » Sun Apr 17, 2011 2:47 pm

tag

brokenwindows

New

Post by brokenwindows » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:51 pm

I have yet to visit Bloomington although we've already secured an apartment online. I'm glad to see some people describing the area, it makes things seem a little less scary. :D

Quick question about bike riding; I hear that riding a bike to school is pretty easy. Are the drivers there used to people on bikes? Where I live, you take your life in your hands if you're planning to ride a bike amongst traffic. Are there bike lanes?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

danquayle

Silver

Post by danquayle » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:19 pm

brokenwindows wrote:I have yet to visit Bloomington although we've already secured an apartment online. I'm glad to see some people describing the area, it makes things seem a little less scary. :D

Quick question about bike riding; I hear that riding a bike to school is pretty easy. Are the drivers there used to people on bikes? Where I live, you take your life in your hands if you're planning to ride a bike amongst traffic. Are there bike lanes?
Biking is extremely common and accepted. The major event of the year is a big bike race called the Little 5, so people are training constantly all year round for it. There are plenty of bike lanes, and traffic in general is never really that bad in Bloomington, except for some spots on 3rd west of the city. Biking in general is very heavily ingrained in the local culture.

http://www.wthr.com/story/14295821/iu-r ... dly-campus

Go rent "Breaking Away." :)

brokenwindows

New

Post by brokenwindows » Sun Apr 24, 2011 8:12 pm

Breaking Away is exactly why I ask that question :lol:
However, I will be shying away from speaking in an Italian accent

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”