1L Club Involvement down 75%

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.

Do you belong to a club?

Poll ended at Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:59 pm

No club participation
20
38%
1 Club
11
21%
2 Clubs
7
13%
3 or more Clubs
14
27%
 
Total votes: 52

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby Renne Walker » Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:59 pm

I heard today 1L club involvement was down 75%. . . some clubs claim that they have no 1L participation. Is this true at your law school?

Possibly this is the result of neverending studying because of the economy. . . what else could it be?

downstream
Posts: 115
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:58 pm

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby downstream » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:05 am

Could be that clubs are the most egregious waste of time since curling.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby dood » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:07 am

wat r clubs for?

doing e and dancing?

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby Cupidity » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:08 am

We only go for the food anyway.

User avatar
patrickd139
Posts: 2883
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby patrickd139 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:10 am

Cupidity wrote:We only go for the food anyway.

This. I paid for lunch 1L year maybe an average of once per week. And that was when I got tired of pizza.

User avatar
cinephile
Posts: 3469
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:50 pm

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby cinephile » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:12 am

Do the clubs at your school not offer pizza?

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3881
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:13 am

Cupidity wrote:We only go for the food anyway.


As someone who ran a club for a time in UG, I can assure everyone that this is the credited response for upwards of 1/2 the people attending any given event at which free food is present.

User avatar
Bildungsroman
Posts: 5548
Joined: Sun Apr 11, 2010 2:42 pm

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:13 am

downstream wrote:Could be that clubs are the most egregious waste of time since curling.

They're not going to get you a job, but if you're looking for a way to meet classmates with similar interests, maybe hear some interesting talks, score some free food, etc. there are worse ways.

User avatar
prezidentv8
Posts: 2821
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2008 5:33 am

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby prezidentv8 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:17 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
downstream wrote:Could be that clubs are the most egregious waste of time since curling.

They're not going to get you a job, but if you're looking for a way to meet classmates with similar interests, maybe hear some interesting talks, score some free food, etc. there are worse ways.


ITT we think of worse ways to "hear some interesting talks":

My contribution: ask a panhandler for a dollar

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:21 am

The 1Ls at your school sound smart.

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby shoeshine » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:24 am

You know where we fuckin be...

http://youtu.be/5qm8PH4xAss

User avatar
TheFutureLawyer
Posts: 3881
Joined: Thu May 12, 2011 2:28 pm

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby TheFutureLawyer » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:28 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
downstream wrote:Could be that clubs are the most egregious waste of time since curling.

They're not going to get you a job, but if you're looking for a way to meet classmates with similar interests, maybe hear some interesting talks, score some free food, etc. there are worse ways.


ITT we think of worse ways to "hear some interesting talks":

My contribution: ask a panhandler for a dollar



Go up to a bum talking to himself and ask him if he knows of any sick parties going on this weekend.

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby Renne Walker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:41 am

Whether you believe clubs are beneficial or not, why do you think club participation is dramatically down? I heard that some clubs have no 1L membership. One club president asked, “what in the world did they tell you in orientation?”

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby Grizz » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:56 am

Renne Walker wrote:Whether you believe clubs are beneficial or not, why do you think club participation is dramatically down? I heard that some clubs have no 1L membership. One club president asked, “what in the world did they tell you in orientation?”

Because they are a waste of time

Sandro
Posts: 2526
Joined: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:12 am

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby Sandro » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:42 am

I heard that a recent bus trip to a Friday sporting event participation went down from an entire busload of 1Ls last year to 7 this year. Friday night, 4 weeks into school.

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby Renne Walker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:20 am

Sandro wrote:I heard that a recent bus trip to a Friday sporting event participation went down from an entire busload of 1Ls last year to 7 this year. Friday night, 4 weeks into school.

Has anyone offered an explanation for this sudden decline? I would assume this is due to a heightened anxiety of having to be in the top __% of the class because of the economy.

I (and several other cohorts) haven’t even been to a bar review yet. . .but as a guilty pleasure I did attend a law firm mixer. Speaking of guilty pleasures, tonight I plan to watch Revenge. Is that crazy, or what?

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby thecilent » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:24 am

Renne Walker wrote:
Sandro wrote:I heard that a recent bus trip to a Friday sporting event participation went down from an entire busload of 1Ls last year to 7 this year. Friday night, 4 weeks into school.

Has anyone offered an explanation for this sudden decline? I would assume this is due to a heightened anxiety of having to be in the top __% of the class because of the economy.

I (and several other cohorts) haven’t even been to a bar review yet. . .but as a guilty pleasure I did attend a law firm mixer. Speaking of guilty pleasures, tonight I plan to watch Revenge. Is that crazy, or what?

wtf are you talking about

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:30 am

I will say that the 1Ls at my school seem to be egregiously un-fun.

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby Renne Walker » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:58 am

Holly Golightly wrote:I will say that the 1Ls at my school seem to be egregiously un-fun.

Instead of overanalyzing the decline, perhaps your assessment is simply spot-on. . we will forever be known as the egregiously un-fun crop of 1Ls. Back to the books.

User avatar
thecilent
Posts: 2506
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:55 pm

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby thecilent » Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:05 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:I will say that the 1Ls at my school seem to be egregiously un-fun.

Instead of overanalyzing the decline, perhaps your assessment is simply spot-on. . we will forever be known as the egregiously un-fun crop of 1Ls. Back to the books.

wait you go to nyu? you havent been to one bar review yet or anything? what have you been doing? even if you are studying mad, there is still time to go out and have fun. Also I feel like there are a lot of fun 1Ls here

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:17 pm

downstream wrote:Could be that clubs are the most egregious waste of time since curling.

Fuck you.

Curling is awesome.

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby Oban » Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:30 pm

Being an actual member of a club is waste of time, at least their is foods though, I regularly go to meetings of clubs i'm not in for the free lunch.

User avatar
Hippononymous
Posts: 292
Joined: Mon Apr 27, 2009 8:11 pm

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby Hippononymous » Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:10 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
downstream wrote:Could be that clubs are the most egregious waste of time since curling.

Fuck you.

Curling is awesome.

This.

Plus, the people you meet curling are probably the nicest people you will ever meet in your life.

And the beer is cheap ($1.00 pints at my curling club).

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:30 pm

Some of the clubs seem worth doing, others seem like a colossal waste of time. Also there is plenty of time to study hard and still go out. I go out and somehow am still ahead in every class.

User avatar
Pink
Posts: 338
Joined: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:18 am

Re: 1L Club Involvement down 75%

Postby Pink » Thu Sep 29, 2011 5:37 pm

I belong to a few, but to be honest, the only time requirement they have is lunch meetings/panels...and there's free food. And I'm going to eat anyway. I think it's a good way to meet people, especially since I'm only at the school to study/go to class, and don't socialize much other than that.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest