Temple 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Justathought

Re: Temple 1L Taking Questions

Postby Justathought » Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:45 am

From what little I know about the evening division, I would guess that the program's reputation is strong. It seems like a good portion of the students are engaged in meaningful full time work. Including several people who work at the big firms around town. I even know one guy who got a job at big firm because they needed extra help on a project, and looked toward Temple evening students to fill the need.

loblaw016

Postby loblaw016 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:19 am

Do you know of anyone doing an Individually Designed Dual Degree?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 12, 2012 10:19 am

Sorry, I actually don't know anyone pursuing any sort of dual degree (not even a J.D. / M.B.A., though I'm sure there a few people in my class).

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:14 pm

I didn't know Temple had a law school. Learn something new every day.

philly_law

Postby philly_law » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:22 pm

beach_terror wrote:I didn't know Temple had a law school. Learn something new every day.

As a Temple 2L, I now sincerely wish that it didn't

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:36 pm

philly_law wrote:
beach_terror wrote:I didn't know Temple had a law school. Learn something new every day.

:( - you know you're going to be fine. I talked with my boss today and she thought my 3.5 was good enough to get me a job at one of our offices as a fellows attorney. You have a better GPA than me, you'll be making it rain soon enough (and I'll be applying to work in your mailroom). Are you still looking?

philly_law

Postby philly_law » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:54 pm

beach_terror wrote:
philly_law wrote:

:( - you know you're going to be fine. I talked with my boss today and she thought my 3.5 was good enough to get me a job at one of our offices as a fellows attorney. You have a better GPA than me, you'll be making it rain soon enough (and I'll be applying to work in your mailroom). Are you still looking?

Nice man, that'd be great if you were set. I'm at a small place this semester, with possibility of staying for the summer. A larger place said they'd interview me in a few weeks, we'll see what happens.

loblaw016

Postby loblaw016 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:44 am

does temple provide any need-based grants? I asked for a preliminary financial aid award letter and it was basically $20,500 stafford and $20,500 PLUS. not sure i could get approved for the PLUS

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:39 pm

loblaw016 wrote:does temple provide any need-based grants? I asked for a preliminary financial aid award letter and it was basically $20,500 stafford and $20,500 PLUS. not sure i could get approved for the PLUS

Temple does provide need based grants, I know people who have received them, but my understanding is that the amount will be something closer to $5,000 dollars.

However, it is pretty easy to get approved for a PLUS loan. It is not based on your income or your credit score. The only thing that normally would lead to a rejection is defaulting on debts.

Edit: If all else fails - and it shouldn't - a cosigner could be an option of last resort.

loblaw016

Postby loblaw016 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:22 pm

Justathought wrote:
emarxnj wrote:OP, if you don't mind me asking, what were your numbers? Did you get any $$$ from Temple?

Since a lot of my classmates read this, I would prefer not to say. I will say, however, that I was a traditional splitter. Also, I did get a little money from Temple. I'm a urm though (Puerto Rican), so I can't tell you if my acceptance/award was typical.

Did you get $ with your acceptance or with the finaid packet?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:59 pm

loblaw016 wrote:
Justathought wrote:
emarxnj wrote:OP, if you don't mind me asking, what were your numbers? Did you get any $$$ from Temple?

Since a lot of my classmates read this, I would prefer not to say. I will say, however, that I was a traditional splitter. Also, I did get a little money from Temple. I'm a urm though (Puerto Rican), so I can't tell you if my acceptance/award was typical.

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it was in the packet. At some point later in the cycle they upped their offer for no apparent reason (I did not try to negotiate).

loblaw016

Postby loblaw016 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:11 pm

Justathought wrote:
loblaw016 wrote:
Justathought wrote:

I'm not 100% sure, but I believe it was in the packet. At some point later in the cycle they upped their offer for no apparent reason (I did not try to negotiate).

That's good to know, thanks. I'm hoping for a little something at least

stressed2010

Postby stressed2010 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:32 pm

Any idea what class rank one needs to get an interview with one of the big guys at OCI these days? I'm a 1L roughly top 10% according to last year's class rank. Will this get me an interview at least (hoping I don't mess up my gpa this semester?) I've heard things thrown around like you need a 3.9 to be even competitive but that sound's a bit exaggerated given a 3.67 and up was top 5% last year. Does anyone even have a 3.9 (i'm sure at least 1 or 2 but more than that must get hired I hope). Thanks in advance!

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:41 pm

stressed2010 wrote:Any idea what class rank one needs to get an interview with one of the big guys at OCI these days? I'm a 1L roughly top 10% according to last year's class rank. Will this get me an interview at least (hoping I don't mess up my gpa this semester?) I've heard things thrown around like you need a 3.9 to be even competitive but that sound's a bit exaggerated given a 3.67 and up was top 5% last year. Does anyone even have a 3.9 (i'm sure at least 1 or 2 but more than that must get hired I hope). Thanks in advance!

Hi classmate! I probably don't know much more than you, but the administration has told me you need to be 15%-20% to really have your choice of screeners. Then it will be on you to wow them. I went to an event this past weekend with students from all the area schools and partners from a few big firms. The partners stressed, to all the students in attendance, that they see top 10% all the time, and that those types of grades are what they expect. The good news is they said that a strong second semester can make up for an average first semester. It looks like you're in good shape, but you will need to keep up your grades (you should strive to improve), and interview well. Best of luck!

stressed2010

Postby stressed2010 » Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:51 pm

Thanks justathought! I've been a long time lurker so been keeping up with the temple forums. Far too few though! Thanks for repping us hard all these months! The top 10% number is pretty scary but I'm not surprised the administration gives us the nicer top 20%-15% mark (drink the koolaid!) Anyways good luck to you as well. Here's to a successful semester for us both!

loblaw016

Postby loblaw016 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:11 pm

what's the grading curve like at temple? is it hard to keep scholarships?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Mon Apr 09, 2012 3:18 pm

Targeted mean for the curve is 3.05. Its not hard to keep scholarships. I'm fairly certain the most they require is "good academic standing." That would mean maintaining a GPA at/above 2.0. Its basically impossible to get less than a 2.0, and if you were to, you would obviously drop out asap.

Edit: Wait, I'm being told that the Beasley Scholarship requires a 3.0. That is below median, but not out of the realm of possibility. My scholarship only requires good standing. I guess I would look closely at the terms of your scholarship before moving forward.

x7227

Postby x7227 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:33 pm

stressed2010 wrote:Any idea what class rank one needs to get an interview with one of the big guys at OCI these days? I'm a 1L roughly top 10% according to last year's class rank. Will this get me an interview at least (hoping I don't mess up my gpa this semester?) I've heard things thrown around like you need a 3.9 to be even competitive but that sound's a bit exaggerated given a 3.67 and up was top 5% last year. Does anyone even have a 3.9 (i'm sure at least 1 or 2 but more than that must get hired I hope). Thanks in advance!

I think whomever told you that a 3.9 was necessary for interviews was trying to have a little fun with you... or at your expense...

Now I need to get back to studying for my finals... for reasons completely unrelated to this post.

x7227

Postby x7227 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 3:37 pm

Justathought wrote:Targeted mean for the curve is 3.05. Its not hard to keep scholarships. I'm fairly certain the most they require is "good academic standing." That would mean maintaining a GPA at/above 2.0. Its basically impossible to get less than a 2.0, and if you were to, you would obviously drop out asap.

Edit: Wait, I'm being told that the Beasley Scholarship requires a 3.0. That is below median, but not out of the realm of possibility. My scholarship only requires good standing. I guess I would look closely at the terms of your scholarship before moving forward.

It depends on the particular scholarship. Several of them require you to be in the top half of the class while others, as JAT stated, are either good standing or a straight GPA requirement. The terms of the particular scholarship should be stated explicitly in the letter granting the scholarship...

NonAbsolut

Postby NonAbsolut » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi Guys,

I'll be starting in the fall and have a few questions.

Starting with the least important, is there a microwave available for student use? If not, do most people buy lunch or is it common to bring something? I've been in an office for the past few years with access to a microwave, so I've gotten used to a hot, cheap lunch. ;-)

Second, have any other incoming students had the problem where your second seat deposit was incorrectly applied to a deposit for graduate housing? I was told this error happened to deposits that were paid by credit card. They told me to wait for a check as a refund, but that doesn't seem to make sense since I'd then presumable need to re-pay the $250 as my seat deposit.

Lastly, when is it typical to receive your student loan payments? I set up my info to receive direct deposits. Do you typically receive the money on the first day (which for new students would be orientation?)

Thanks in advance for your help!

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:21 pm

Can't help with the second question, but

1. Yes, we got one. It's one of our big draws.

3. I got mine about a week before class started the first semester, and the middle of the week class started second semester. There have been incidents of students not receiving them for one or two weeks after classes began.

NonAbsolut

Postby NonAbsolut » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:27 pm

Great, thanks for the info!

Habeas Maximus

Postby Habeas Maximus » Thu Jul 26, 2012 9:53 am

Hey,

Do you know if there is a negative stigma attached to transfer students at Temple? Also, do you know if transfers are eligible for law review, moot court, or trial team? The admissions department says these things are possible, but I thought it would be better to get a student's perspective to gauge the reality of a transfer's situation.

One more thing - I heard that Temple doesn't have the traditional OCI system and that it participates in Philly 6-in-1 interview days with other Philadelphia area schools (including UPenn). Do you have any insight into this?

FYI - I couldn't find a decent Temple thread in the Transfers forum and there isn't a forum for asking a 2L, so I figured that asking a Temple 1L would be my best bet.

Thanks a bunch for your help!

ohvai

Postby ohvai » Thu Jul 26, 2012 10:12 am

I am starting at Temple in the fall and I'm really curious about what to expect in terms of schedule, etc., since I will be living away from campus. The school won't give us our schedule until the week before class starts so I was wondering if any Temple 2L students wouldn't mind sharing their 1L 1st semester with us just so we'd see what hours we can expect.

loblaw016

Postby loblaw016 » Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:15 am

does anyone know if it's possible to get a refund advance/increase for the purchase of a laptop?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”