Temple 1L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Honeysuckle

Bronze

Re: Temple 1L Taking Questions

Post by Honeysuckle » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:06 pm

Wholigan wrote:
Honeysuckle wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:
Honeysuckle wrote:Nope, just a home-sick 1L here. "Dead-set" was a bit strong; I just have close affinity/ties to the Philly area.
Then don't worry about transferring. Got any lawyers in your circle of friends and family?
Yes, though they don't work in practice areas that I am particularly interested in.

On top of the unanticipated homesickness bug, I'm a little worried that Philly employers might question my commitment to the region based on my decision to go to school in Boston, despite my having grown up and worked there. Like I said before, the market it really insular. Temple would end up being cheaper (not to mention providing easier networking opportunities in the market I hope to work in), though thanks to a sizable merit scholarship from BC/BU, I won't be crushed with an insane amount of debt if I stay. I did get accepted to Temple as an 0L, but I choose BC/BU because of overall stronger ranking, reputation, LRAP, etc. Is a downward transfer ever a smart idea, it it ends up being cheaper and the school is in a market that I strongly have a preference for?

If (and that's a very big if, considering the arbitrariness of law school grading) I end up top 5-10%, of course Penn comes into play. Obviously nothing I can bank on, no matter how hard I work.
What kind of work do you want to do in Philly? If you want a shot at big law, most of the large law firms have a few BU/BC grads. You might even hurt your chances by transferring to Temple. When they do OCI at Temple, they are coming in to screen top 20-25%, and I don't know how transfers fit into that. You should probably find someone from this year's transfer class and see how they did.
Thanks for the advice/perspective. I'm solidly PI/gov't oriented.

r6_philly

Diamond

Post by r6_philly » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:29 pm

beach_terror wrote: I agree to an extent, I'm just saying the screeners don't necessarily reflect great offer chances. The firms that typically have two interview rooms (Blank, Stradley, Pepper, Fox, etc.) all interview 30-40 candidates, but the ones that end up getting the gig are the top 3-5% of the class, from this year + the last few years. Class sizes are still pretty conservative at 10-15 on average for the big firms.
I don't know if it makes a lot of difference, but my class at Penn seems to have less local folks than what I expected. If NY/DC markets pick back up by next year, more big law openings could be available.

johnnyutah

Gold

Post by johnnyutah » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:30 pm

Honeysuckle wrote: Thanks for the advice/perspective. I'm solidly PI/gov't oriented.
If you're sold on Philadelphia government/PI work, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to transfer to Penn. It won't give you all much of a leg up, if any. Your main concern with getting a job should be networking, not what school you go to. It may certainly be easier to network from Temple, but if you can leverage your family connections and make contacts from Boston, I'd say just stay pat. Your biggest priority right now should be finding a 1L summer position in Philadelphia.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:55 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Honeysuckle wrote: Thanks for the advice/perspective. I'm solidly PI/gov't oriented.
If you're sold on Philadelphia government/PI work, I wouldn't worry too much about trying to transfer to Penn. It won't give you all much of a leg up, if any. Your main concern with getting a job should be networking, not what school you go to. It may certainly be easier to network from Temple, but if you can leverage your family connections and make contacts from Boston, I'd say just stay pat. Your biggest priority right now should be finding a 1L summer position in Philadelphia.
Phone calls and emails to spots you want to work out are going to be important too. Try to build some sort of base, so you don't turn into a rando from Boston who's trying to work in Philly. That shit probably won't fly.

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:45 pm

I also have a question regarding the C&F portion: Were you ever convicted of any felony, misdemeanor or other criminal offense or violation, or are criminal charges now pending against you?

I have two incidents where i was CHARGED, but due to programs (classes + ARD) both incidents were subsequently dismissed and later expunged. In my mind I don't see these as convictions, but I have disclosed them on other applications as they have specifically asked about "charges." Any update on how to answer this question?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Nov 12, 2011 1:52 pm

Kage3212 wrote:I also have a question regarding the C&F portion: Were you ever convicted of any felony, misdemeanor or other criminal offense or violation, or are criminal charges now pending against you?

I have two incidents where i was CHARGED, but due to programs (classes + ARD) both incidents were subsequently dismissed and later expunged. In my mind I don't see these as convictions, but I have disclosed them on other applications as they have specifically asked about "charges." Any update on how to answer this question?
Call the admissions office and ask. Just say you're a prospective applicant if you don't want to disclose your identity, not that it would matter.

Technically the question asks for convictions. Doesn't ARD mean you were found guilty and you just do community service to get it expunged?

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:28 pm

I am pretty certain is it a pre-trial diversion program where there is no admission of guilt. Upon completion, the charges are dismissed and are then able to be expunged. I have recently applied to Pitt, where they ask for "charges", so I am thinking about just using the same addendum with an added sentence. Maybe something like "Although i was never convicted of any crimes, I feel it necessary to fully disclose previous criminal charges in the most honest manner possible." Do you think that is a proper avenue to take? I know this broadens the question substantially, I just don't want to come across as trying to hide something when I am more than willing to be held accountable for my actions.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:34 pm

Kage3212 wrote:I am pretty certain is it a pre-trial diversion program where there is no admission of guilt. Upon completion, the charges are dismissed and are then able to be expunged. I have recently applied to Pitt, where they ask for "charges", so I am thinking about just using the same addendum with an added sentence. Maybe something like "Although i was never convicted of any crimes, I feel it necessary to fully disclose previous criminal charges in the most honest manner possible." Do you think that is a proper avenue to take? I know this broadens the question substantially, I just don't want to come across as trying to hide something when I am more than willing to be held accountable for my actions.
I'm not totally sure of how the ARD program works, which is the key to the puzzle here. Airing on the side of over-disclosure is certainly the smartest thing to do, IMO. I'd still recommend calling and just asking about it, I'm sure the adcomms are familiar with the program and can give you a definite answer.

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:36 pm

Thanks beach, appreciate your time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

x7227

Bronze

Post by x7227 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:19 pm

Kage3212 wrote:Thanks beach, appreciate your time.
Beach, I'm quite amazed that a wildcat spends so much time making us owls look good! You post more often in these threads than we do.

Kage, I think Beach is right on point here. Even though you weren't convicted, its clearly in your best interest to call and ask. If there is any ambiguity you should err on the side of disclosing if only because you will definitely be asked tougher questions on the C&F portion of the bar. Failure to disclose there, or revealing that you failed to disclose something you should have disclosed to your law school could get real scary, real fast.

beach_terror

Platinum

Post by beach_terror » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:24 pm

x7227 wrote:
Beach, I'm quite amazed that a wildcat spends so much time making us owls look good! You post more often in these threads than we do.

Kage, I think Beach is right on point here. Even though you weren't convicted, its clearly in your best interest to call and ask. If there is any ambiguity you should err on the side of disclosing if only because you will definitely be asked tougher questions on the C&F portion of the bar. Failure to disclose there, or revealing that you failed to disclose something you should have disclosed to your law school could get real scary, real fast.
That's because I'm a nerd and I'm always at my computer. I'm also sick of outlining professional responsibility and taking my tri-hourly TLS break. Also, there isn't an active Nova thread :( (that I've seen)

x7227

Bronze

Post by x7227 » Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:30 pm

beach_terror wrote:
x7227 wrote:

That's because I'm a nerd and I'm always at my computer. I'm also sick of outlining professional responsibility and taking my tri-hourly TLS break. Also, there isn't an active Nova thread :( (that I've seen)
Sick of outlining Crim here. They just shut the lights off in my part of the library (quiet part way off the beaten path) and I realized I needed a study break, so I took a walk to have them turn the lights back on. So this is what my life as a 1L has become... :lol:

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:32 pm

How's the disability services? Is it harder to register than in undergrad?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Kage3212

Bronze

Post by Kage3212 » Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:59 pm

Regarding my question earlier: I called today an was told that I should answer "No" to the question. However, I was told to include an addendum mentioning the charges and the final disposition. I found this odd as it seems kind of counter-intuitive to answer "No" only to end up disclosing anyway. Regardless, I will be disclosing as per the Office of Admission's instructions.

x7227

Bronze

Post by x7227 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:39 am

89vision wrote:How's the disability services? Is it harder to register than in undergrad?
I can't say I've ever had to use the disability services yet, but I do know that we have Dean Esten who is absolutely AMAZING at solving such problems if they were to arise. If you ever have a problem, personal or related to law school, she is absolutely amazing at helping you out in every way possible. Honestly, Dean Esten has been one of the few absolute surprises about law school, but in a good way. If there's anything that could possibly help out (within reason/rules of course), she'll find a way to make it happen.

x7227

Bronze

Post by x7227 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:45 am

Kage3212 wrote:Regarding my question earlier: I called today an was told that I should answer "No" to the question. However, I was told to include an addendum mentioning the charges and the final disposition. I found this odd as it seems kind of counter-intuitive to answer "No" only to end up disclosing anyway. Regardless, I will be disclosing as per the Office of Admission's instructions.
:shock:

Well I'm completely confuzzled on this one. It just feels wrong in so many ways, but its not? Its kinda like this...

http://youtu.be/0xIwP2Jg6zw

89vision

Bronze

Post by 89vision » Mon Nov 28, 2011 2:06 pm

x7227 wrote:
89vision wrote:How's the disability services? Is it harder to register than in undergrad?
I can't say I've ever had to use the disability services yet, but I do know that we have Dean Esten who is absolutely AMAZING at solving such problems if they were to arise. If you ever have a problem, personal or related to law school, she is absolutely amazing at helping you out in every way possible. Honestly, Dean Esten has been one of the few absolute surprises about law school, but in a good way. If there's anything that could possibly help out (within reason/rules of course), she'll find a way to make it happen.
Basically excused absences, extended time on assignments and tests.

Does Temple place well in Pittsburgh? I'm instate, and Temple is several grand cheaper, tuition wise. I know the COL probably nullifies any tuition savings.

I am really interested in Temple's externships and PI focus. Did anyone here participate in those programs? If so, did you enjoy them? I definitely interested in the Innocence Project.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

HeavenWood

Gold

Post by HeavenWood » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:26 pm

89vision wrote:
x7227 wrote:

Does Temple place well in Pittsburgh? I'm instate, and Temple is several grand cheaper, tuition wise. I know the COL probably nullifies any tuition savings.

I am really interested in Temple's externships and PI focus. Did anyone here participate in those programs? If so, did you enjoy them? I definitely interested in the Innocence Project.
Regional peer schools are regional peer schools. Unless you're open to the far more likely possibility of ending up somewhere within Southeast PA/South Jersey/Northern Delaware, you're much better off going to Pitt.

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Mon Nov 28, 2011 4:32 pm

So far this thread has only seen 1L contributions; consequently its probably difficult for us to give you insight into externships and the Philadelphia Innocence Project. However, I do know quite a few upperclassmen who spend their time engaged in legal work, in the community, throughout the semester.

As to placement in Pittsburgh: I know a few people hoping to work there, but we are not a traditional feeder school to the market. From what I have seen, the office of career services doesn't focus on Pittsburgh. Still, Temple has a good rep throughout the state, so you could probably make that work if the cost of attendance is too low to pass up.

Edit: I think our Penn Pal (get it!), Heavenwood, is correct. With the aforementioned caveat being that I would choose Temple if the cost was much cheaper and I was open to working in SE PA (even though I preferred the Pitt market).

x7227

Bronze

Post by x7227 » Thu Dec 01, 2011 9:34 pm

89vision wrote:
x7227 wrote:

Vision,

If there's a good excuse, I'm sure they'd be willing to talk about whatever accommodations you require. Might be something to shoot an email off about once you're accepted though.

As for the innocence project, I've actually got a friend who did it during fall 1L... it seemed intense. Its something you can do, but not maybe something you should do 1L. As for the other years, they're really big on making sure everyone who wants a placement, gets one.

Any other questions, feel free to PM (though I may not answer right away...or until after the 20th).

katzrr

New

Post by katzrr » Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:44 am

Do you know anyone doing the part-time program at Temple? How do they like it/do they seem burnt out?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jsvaughn

Bronze

Post by jsvaughn » Sun Jan 15, 2012 9:32 am

Does anyone know how difficult it is to establish residency in PA?

And has anyone had success negotiating scholarships with Temple?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Justathought

Silver

Post by Justathought » Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:41 am

To the first question:

Its not easy to establish residency. From my understanding, you need to be able to demonstrate a purpose for being in Philadelphia outside of an educational one. In addition, if accepted as a non-resident, you are bound to that status for at least the first year. There is a way to change that status for years two and three, but doing so involves a comprehensive application process. In short: not easy or likely, but possible after the first year.

To the second question:

Temple will negotiate a little bit. Temple, even for out of state residents, is more affordable than many other comparable schools. Therefore, they don't offer too many big scholarships. However, if you get a scholarship of around 8,500 as an out of state resident, that's equivalent to getting a scholarship of like 30k at a school like Cardozo or 20k at a school like Villanova. If you get any money as an instate resident, then Temple is pretty darn cheap.

Hope this helps.

z0rk

Bronze

Post by z0rk » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:28 pm

What is the reputation of the evening division program? is it simillar to the day? do the two groups ever meet? do evening division students participate in clinics?

arvcondor

Bronze

Post by arvcondor » Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:49 pm

z0rk wrote:What is the reputation of the evening division program? is it simillar to the day? do the two groups ever meet? do evening division students participate in clinics?
Can't speak to any of that except that I can tell you almost unequivocally that ne'er the two sections do meet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”