Temple 1L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Justathought

Temple 1L Taking Questions

Postby Justathought » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:39 am

This forum was very informative when I was applying, but there wasn't quite enough Temple information out there. Now there is. :mrgreen:

As noted in the title, I'm a 1L, which means I can't provide substantive answers to your questions about employment prospects. However, I'm starting to get the hang of this whole law school thing and I'd be happy to answer questions on the Temple experience.

johnnyutah

Re: Temple 1L Taking Questions

Postby johnnyutah » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:29 pm

True or false: the student body of Temple Law could take Villanova in a giant brawl.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Sep 24, 2011 2:30 pm

johnnyutah wrote:True or false: the student body of Temple Law could take Villanova in a giant brawl.

Absolutely true.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:24 pm

johnnyutah wrote:True or false: the student body of Temple Law could take Villanova in a giant brawl.

In past years I would say absolutely not, especially given the fact that BT could take out a large swath of the class himself, but this year Temple seems to have imposed a height and weight requirement on the male portion of the student body. We're pretty buff! :lol:

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:11 pm

Your LSAT median dropped 3 points this year. Temple: doing it dirty like Villanova, but not getting caught. Baller.

neeko

Postby neeko » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:22 pm

Sorry for bumping this, tagging for the near future.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:26 pm

beach_terror wrote:Your LSAT median dropped 3 points this year. Temple: doing it dirty like Villanova, but not getting caught. Baller.

BT I love you, but this is the height of Villanova treachery! :lol: We're only down 1 point to a 160 median!

To be fair, Temple's website is a little confusing; they seem to like listing the median and percentiles for "admitted" students, e.g., 161/163/165 on portions of the site.You have to dig a little deeper to find the enrolled statistics. This year, the numbers for those that actually enrolled were 158/160/163. That's down from 159/161/164 in 2010.

On the plus side, it seems they did shrink the class quite a bit. 326 in 2010. 270 in 2011.

Source: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163250&start=175

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:44 pm

Justathought wrote:
beach_terror wrote:Your LSAT median dropped 3 points this year. Temple: doing it dirty like Villanova, but not getting caught. Baller.

BT I love you, but this is the height of Villanova treachery! :lol: We're only down 1 point to a 160 median!

To be fair, Temple's website is a little confusing; they seem to like listing the median and percentiles for "admitted" students, e.g., 161/163/165 on portions of the site.You have to dig a little deeper to find the enrolled statistics. This year, the numbers for those that actually enrolled were 158/160/163. That's down from 159/161/164 in 2010.

On the plus side, it seems they did shrink the class quite a bit. 326 in 2010. 270 in 2011.

Source: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=163250&start=175

Hm, I was just going off what one of my friends at Temple told me. Booo

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:41 pm

beach_terror wrote:

Absolutely true.

Temple boys are scrappy.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:43 pm

And to preempt any and all "Should I go to Temple or Villanova?" questions, just pick whatever's cheaper.

And if they both end up costing about the same, pick the school you *gasp* like more.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:24 pm

HeavenWood wrote:And to preempt any and all "Should I go to Temple or Villanova?" questions, just pick whatever's cheaper.

And if they both end up costing about the same, pick the school you *gasp* like more.

Agreed. Both schools are very similar in terms of eventual outcome, but there are differences in the programs and environments which will probably lead you to favor one over the other.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:28 pm

Justathought wrote:
HeavenWood wrote:And to preempt any and all "Should I go to Temple or Villanova?" questions, just pick whatever's cheaper.

Agreed. Both schools are very similar in terms of eventual outcome, but there are differences in the programs and environments which will probably lead you to favor one over the other.

Of course, but that directly factors into the "like more" tiebreaker.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:06 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
Justathought wrote:

Of course, but that directly factors into the "like more" tiebreaker.

Yeah, you're right, and I did take your meaning. Just wanted to state it in writing for anyone who might not know much about the two schools.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:25 pm

True. Temple and Vanillanofun are analogous in most respects.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:53 pm

johnnyutah wrote:

In all respects, bro.

HeavenWood

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:56 pm

beach_terror wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

In all respects, bro.

Not in terms of setting, environment, and (I'm guessing here) student body.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:14 pm

HeavenWood wrote:
beach_terror wrote:
johnnyutah wrote:

In all respects, bro.

Not in terms of setting, environment, and (I'm guessing here) student body.

I mean, environment and student body between the two isn't that different. I have a few friends at Temple. I just meant anything important. Also, Radnor police are the worst.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:39 am

beach_terror wrote: Also, Radnor police are the worst.

We talk about them in Crim Law. Our Professor gets a kick out of the trouble Villanova students get into while walking home from the bars.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Wed Oct 05, 2011 8:52 pm

This is relevant to the Temple v. Vanillanofun debate:
--LinkRemoved--

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:18 pm

johnnyutah wrote:This is relevant to the Temple v. Vanillanofun debate:
--LinkRemoved--

Go to Villanova - get yo money back. Sounds like an easy choice.

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:27 am

Stopping by to share an interesting note about Temple. First semester we have two half-semester courses: Litigation Basics and Introduction to Transactional Skills.

I just took my Litigation Basics final last Friday. The class is graded pass/fail and the course final was fairly simple. Still, the course itself is relatively helpful to a new law student. I think perhaps the best way to describe it would be as a brief introduction into the world of Civil and Criminal Procedure. I'd be happy to discuss more if anyone is interested in particulars.

As for Introduction to Transactional Skills, well I misspoke when I labeled it a half-semester class. It only meets five times during the semester, with the first meeting on October 27th. I don't have all the details yet, but its a course which places students into small teams (mixed sections too), and asks us to work on structuring some kind of commercial transaction. The best team will be selected by a group of judges comprised of professors and practicing Philadelphia attorneys. The course itself is graded pass/fail.

x7227

Postby x7227 » Sat Oct 15, 2011 12:13 am

Justathought wrote:Stopping by to share an interesting note about Temple. First semester we have two half-semester courses: Litigation Basics and Introduction to Transactional Skills.

I just took my Litigation Basics final last Friday. The class is graded pass/fail and the course final was fairly simple. Still, the course itself was pointless and a complete waste of everyone's time.

FTFY

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:10 am

OP, if you don't mind me asking, what were your numbers? Did you get any $$$ from Temple?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:24 am

emarxnj wrote:OP, if you don't mind me asking, what were your numbers? Did you get any $$$ from Temple?

Since a lot of my classmates read this, I would prefer not to say. I will say, however, that I was a traditional splitter. Also, I did get a little money from Temple. I'm a urm though (Puerto Rican), so I can't tell you if my acceptance/award was typical.

Easy-E

Postby Easy-E » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:41 am

Justathought wrote:
emarxnj wrote:OP, if you don't mind me asking, what were your numbers? Did you get any $$$ from Temple?

Since a lot of my classmates read this, I would prefer not to say. I will say, however, that I was a traditional splitter. Also, I did get a little money from Temple. I'm a urm though (Puerto Rican), so I can't tell you if my acceptance/award was typical.

Ah, I understand. Splitter as well, but no URM. Thanks for the reply. How are you enjoying the area around Temple?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”