Arizona State 2L Taking Questions!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
AngelAuthor

Arizona State 2L Taking Questions!

Postby AngelAuthor » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:45 pm

I've been there, done that, had a nice summer internship as a rising 2L. I am a student ambassador at the school (it's my job to answer questions). So fire away!

johnnyutah

Re: Arizona State 2L Taking Questions!

Postby johnnyutah » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:07 pm

Is it true that last year a professor got caught masturbating onto a student's bike seat?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:12 pm

OP: As a student ambassador, your responses are unlikely to be more than that which is stated on the law school website.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:56 am

How many ASU students got summer associate positions this past summer? I've heard everything between 8 and 15.

AngelAuthor

Postby AngelAuthor » Wed Sep 21, 2011 5:10 pm

@Johnnyutah - Ummmm... beats me??

@CanadianWolf - Why would that be? The website doesn't tell all about the law school experience. Not even most of it, in fact.

@DesertLaw - I don't know exactly how many got positions - that information hasn't been published yet. I do know a couple who are set for next year, though. :D I had an extraordinary summer position up in Alaska through the Blackstone Fellowship. Not Summer Associate, though.

desertlaw

Postby desertlaw » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:04 pm

@AngelAuthor - sorry, I meant 2L SA positions last summer, not 1L.

MormonChristian

Postby MormonChristian » Mon Nov 28, 2011 5:09 pm

AngelAuthor wrote:I've been there, done that, had a nice summer internship as a rising 2L. I am a student ambassador at the school (it's my job to answer questions). So fire away!

What is the grading system at ASU?

c3pO4

Postby c3pO4 » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:35 pm

desertlaw wrote:How many ASU students got summer associate positions this past summer? I've heard everything between 8 and 15.

More than 15. Many midlaw firms in Phoenix look to hire ASU kids. A few get gigs in LA too.

AngelAuthor

Postby AngelAuthor » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:29 pm

MormonChristian; the grading system is a curve, of course, it appears from what various instructors have said that about 60% of any class will get B's of various stripe (plus or minus) 15% get A's and about 25% must be assigned Cs or less. You have to work at getting a D. C's are pretty much the bottom of any class. If your first semester GPA or first year cumulative GPA is below 2.33 you will be placed in an Academic Support Program (class), which is basically probation. Manage to get less than a 2.0 at any time and you're out of the school.

Overall not particularly strenuous. I know of other schools that will kick you out for anything less than a 2.5.

SuperCool23

Postby SuperCool23 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 2:13 am

What is at like living on campus as a law student? Have you heard of anyone getting a full-ride?

tajudad

Postby tajudad » Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:41 pm

How useful would an iPad for textbooks be at ASU?

dart88

Postby dart88 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:21 am

I have heard that ASU is moving its Law School to downtown Phoenix. I haven't lived in Phoenix since high school, but I'd think a commute to downtown Phoenix would be a headache. Has the campus moved yet? If not, when is it likely to relocate?

Sclerenchyma

Postby Sclerenchyma » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:03 pm

dart88 wrote:I have heard that ASU is moving its Law School to downtown Phoenix. I haven't lived in Phoenix since high school, but I'd think a commute to downtown Phoenix would be a headache. Has the campus moved yet? If not, when is it likely to relocate?

The last actual news reporting I heard on the topic was back around this time last year when the entire idea of privatization and moving was still considered a proposal. Since then I haven't heard anything official about the progress via a press statement, internal e-mail, or an official source. However, speaking to faculty I've been told the privatization is done deal (further evidenced by the law school specific three-year structured tuition hike), and that the plot has been bought and paid for but that no ground breaking has taken place.

So just pulling numbers out of my ass, if they break ground this summer, finish construction in a year, manage to furnish it and complete the move in six months, then you are looking at a spending only a half of your time there. Then again I don't know what plot they bought. Maybe its already improved and all they need to do is refurbish it to meet their needs, and then maybe you are looking at doing two of your years there.

Any way it lands, the silver lining is the light rail. If you are planning on getting a place in Tempe or can comfortably commute to a park-and-ride, it is about a 40 minute commute at the heaviest of hours to get from the Tempe campus to the downtown campus. It is also $150 for an academic year pass through the school, which obviously beats gas.
Last edited by Sclerenchyma on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:07 pm

Is the student body very competitive? cohesive? both?

input on how long of a commute time would be too much?.

Sclerenchyma

Postby Sclerenchyma » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:57 pm

gaud wrote:Is the student body very competitive? cohesive? both?

input on how long of a commute time would be too much?.

Let me preface this how I should have prefaced my last response. I'm obviously not AngelAuthor nor a student ambassador, and if he/she wants me to back-off their topic I will. I'm a 2L, life-long Phoenix native, but also a transfer student who came back to AZ for familial reasons. So I can't speak of how your 1L experience at ASU law be, but hopefully I can use my own 1L experience and subsequent 2L experience for a bit of comparative perspective.

And using that comparative perspective, I would say that ASU is remarkably cohesive and laid back. I had no problem approaching people and making friends even as a transfer student who missed out on the 1L we're-going-through-hell-together bonding. My previous school had an amazing highschool 2.0 clique-ishness complete with facebook posts about people asking stupid questions in class, humble-brags about grades and internships, and even stealing model exam answers from the library. I haven't experienced anything remotely close to that at ASU. Perhaps it is because I deal with 2L/3L's that may have learned their shit does in fact stink after 1L year, but I like to think their overall demeanor translates well to how they acted their 1L year.

As for the commute, I didn't have time to get a place my first semester so moved in with my parents in far Northwest Peoria. I had about an hour and a half commute each way. It was brutal. I'm happy to say I did very well this last semester grade-wise, but I would have been much better off mentally if I had the extra two hours that would have came with a half hour commute. I also had to turn down a lot of activities after classes. So I'd suggest trying your damndest to limit your commute to 45 minutes one-way if you're driving and an hour, maybe hour fifteen, if you're taking public transit that will allow you to read or brief.

gaud

Postby gaud » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:39 pm

@ Sclerenchyma - thank you! awesome info!!

@ the others (those with 1L experience - could you answer the same questions?

lookingin

Postby lookingin » Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:45 pm

Did any of you all successfully get qualified as in-state for tuition purposes after coming in out-of-state? What is that process like or is it next to impossible for this to actually happen? Thanks in advance!

wearefoxsports

Postby wearefoxsports » Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:59 am

Arizona State just had a big jump in the US News rankings from #40 to #26, even thought its 2011 big law employment data (I am talking about 100 attorney + plus fed) is still very comparable to schools ranked in the 40s and 50s rather than schools in the 20s. Can you feel any tangible improvement in the big law chances base on your and others' 2L OCI results, as well as feedback from 2012 graduates?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”