Harvard 2Ls Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ph14

Re: Harvard Rising 2L Taking Questions

Postby ph14 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:19 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:Alright, another rando question: What are your thoughts on owning a car while attending school?

Convenient if you have a spot, but not necessary by any means. Are you thinking about living off campus or on campus?

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:22 am

ph14 wrote:
thelawschoolproject wrote:Alright, another rando question: What are your thoughts on owning a car while attending school?

Convenient if you have a spot, but not necessary by any means. Are you thinking about living off campus or on campus?

Probably on campus, unless I find something reasonably priced that is close to the school--although that is proving difficult.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:24 am

Cambridge will adjust your idea of what "reasonable means."

Then NYC will make you adjust again if you end up there for biglaw. :lol:

thelawschoolproject

Postby thelawschoolproject » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:27 am

acrossthelake wrote:Cambridge will adjust your idea of what "reasonable means."

Then NYC will make you adjust again if you end up there for biglaw. :lol:

Oh God....I'm so not mentally prepared to pay east coast prices.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:30 am

thelawschoolproject wrote:
ph14 wrote:

Probably on campus, unless I find something reasonably priced that is close to the school--although that is proving difficult.

I probably wouldn't bring a car unless you plan on cooking.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:09 am

Any recommendations for apartment buildings to look at that are close to campus? I prize location more than price on this front, considering I was signed up for a $2400 unit in NYC for the fall...

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Jun 17, 2012 11:35 am

Doorkeeper wrote:Any recommendations for apartment buildings to look at that are close to campus? I prize location more than price on this front, considering I was signed up for a $2400 unit in NYC for the fall...

if you are taking out student loans, it is really foolish to spend that much in Cambridge. The baseline is gropius at $700...triple that is insane.

nonetheless, at that price, you should go for terry terrace. its literally across the street and they have good sized 1 BR. not sure of exact rent.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jun 17, 2012 2:46 pm

englawyer wrote:
Doorkeeper wrote:Any recommendations for apartment buildings to look at that are close to campus? I prize location more than price on this front, considering I was signed up for a $2400 unit in NYC for the fall...

if you are taking out student loans, it is really foolish to spend that much in Cambridge. The baseline is gropius at $700...triple that is insane.

nonetheless, at that price, you should go for terry terrace. its literally across the street and they have good sized 1 BR. not sure of exact rent.

Terry Terrace's 1-beds are somewhere around 1800-1900/mo. I have a friend who lives in one and he hosts a lot of events there. The kitchen is kinda dingy, but it works.

Chestnut Hill Realty bought out a lot of the apt. complexes nearby and jacks up the rent.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:20 pm

My roommates and I are looking for one more person for a place about a block off campus for under $1000/month. PM me if you want more details.

washburn

Postby washburn » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:08 pm

Hi guys, thanks for doing this!

First post - long time lurker.

I was just admitted to Harvard off the waitlist. I come from a state undergrad, no grad degree, with an LSAT just below median... so not exactly the most credentialed person to ever attend HLS.

I'm just wondering if people with my background typically struggle or if there's any variability in grades between the more typical 175/3.9 Ivy UG students and people more like myself.

Maybe this is a stupid question, or maybe I should have more confidence in myself, but since I'll be paying sticker and I haven't gotten my finaid information, I want to make sure I have at least a fair shot of not being bottom of the class. Will employers care if I don't have an amazing educational background or work history?

EDIT: Not sure if it matters, but male, non-URM.

ph14

Postby ph14 » Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:35 pm

washburn wrote:Hi guys, thanks for doing this!

First post - long time lurker.

I was just admitted to Harvard off the waitlist. I come from a state undergrad, no grad degree, with an LSAT just below median... so not exactly the most credentialed person to ever attend HLS.

I'm just wondering if people with my background typically struggle or if there's any variability in grades between the more typical 175/3.9 Ivy UG students and people more like myself.

Maybe this is a stupid question, or maybe I should have more confidence in myself, but since I'll be paying sticker and I haven't gotten my finaid information, I want to make sure I have at least a fair shot of not being bottom of the class. Will employers care if I don't have an amazing educational background or work history?

EDIT: Not sure if it matters, but male, non-URM.

Have confidence in yourself. There is pretty much little to no correlation of those factors to grades. People let in off the waitlist have won Sears Prizes for the top gpa.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:01 pm

That sort of background you describe (nice WE, or a relevant degree, or an Ivy undergrad, etc.) tends to do get a small boost in hiring, but I haven't seen it matter for grades.

Doorkeeper

Postby Doorkeeper » Sun Jun 17, 2012 10:31 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
englawyer wrote:

Terry Terrace's 1-beds are somewhere around 1800-1900/mo. I have a friend who lives in one and he hosts a lot of events there. The kitchen is kinda dingy, but it works.

Chestnut Hill Realty bought out a lot of the apt. complexes nearby and jacks up the rent.

Thank you both for the info.

I'm lucky enough to not be taking loans, but $1800-1900 does seem a bit ridiculous. Any other buildings close to the campus (5-15 minute walk) that I should look into? Maybe in the $1400-1600, or under, range? Harvard dorms, Harvard housing, or private are all fine. I just want my own bathroom!

JohnV

Postby JohnV » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:28 am

I'm wondering how much do soft factors contribute to Harvard applications. I've heard Yale considers them pretty important. I ask because mine aren't so great. I've had to work myself through college and only joined 1 student organization as a UG (stayed in it for ~2 years, had a semi-high position in it and made their logo/ran their facebook page, medium sized group started by some HS friends for charity-work). Other than that I have never been much of a 'joiner' so I'm hoping that I can just score well enough on the LSAT to make up for it. I have a 3.78 GPA at a regionally prestigious school (UT Austin) which I know isn't exactly high at HYS but doesn't knock me out of the running either.

So do you guys suggest just settling for something lower than HYS or can a 175+ LSAT get me in even though I have no legacy, few softs, and am poor as dirt :wink: ?

EDIT: Also, what would you guys suggest for a PS? I guess this isn't the place to ask for that advice but I'm just wondering if I should give them my sob story or try to demonstrate leadership qualities (of which I have demonstrably few with the few softs and all).

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:09 pm

Doorkeeper wrote:Thank you both for the info.

I'm lucky enough to not be taking loans, but $1800-1900 does seem a bit ridiculous. Any other buildings close to the campus (5-15 minute walk) that I should look into? Maybe in the $1400-1600, or under, range? Harvard dorms, Harvard housing, or private are all fine. I just want my own bathroom!

Hastings gives you your own bathroom (though I think many of them have roommate configurations with a large common room), but no kitchen.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:13 pm

JohnV wrote:I'm wondering how much do soft factors contribute to Harvard applications. I've heard Yale considers them pretty important. I ask because mine aren't so great. I've had to work myself through college and only joined 1 student organization as a UG (stayed in it for ~2 years, had a semi-high position in it and made their logo/ran their facebook page, medium sized group started by some HS friends for charity-work). Other than that I have never been much of a 'joiner' so I'm hoping that I can just score well enough on the LSAT to make up for it. I have a 3.78 GPA at a regionally prestigious school (UT Austin) which I know isn't exactly high at HYS but doesn't knock me out of the running either.

So do you guys suggest just settling for something lower than HYS or can a 175+ LSAT get me in even though I have no legacy, few softs, and am poor as dirt :wink: ?

EDIT: Also, what would you guys suggest for a PS? I guess this isn't the place to ask for that advice but I'm just wondering if I should give them my sob story or try to demonstrate leadership qualities (of which I have demonstrably few with the few softs and all).

For my cycle, if your GPA was below 3.8, and your LSAT is 176+, then softs tended to decide the rest. I was a 3.78/178, with alright softs (president of a club, teaching assistant, RA, etc.) I had really strong LORs and a pretty decent PS. Our year, JR specifically mentioned in his blog that with K-JDs they were looking for "potential for leadership". You should emphasize that you worked through college (just a line on your resume under education. "Worked X hours a week to finance education.") It shows maturity, and if X is high, explains what you were doing with your time.

kaganator

Postby kaganator » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:07 pm

Thanks for taking questions. I'm trying to figure out where to live. I'm thinking either North or a place nearby. I've got some savings, and I'm fine with paying for a one bedroom nearby, at least for 1L. Is that a good idea? The places I'm considering are very close, but I'm concerned I'll miss out on some socializing or study groups if I don't live in a dorm. On the other hand, even North doesn't have kitchens, and I'd have more room in my own place.
Thoughts? Advice?
Thanks once again!

ignatiusr

Postby ignatiusr » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:44 pm

acrossthelake wrote:

Hastings gives you your own bathroom (though I think many of them have roommate configurations with a large common room), but no kitchen.

You don't get your own bathroom at Hastings; they're communal. The bathrooms are shared by fewer people than at Gropius, though.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:14 pm

ignatiusr wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:

You don't get your own bathroom at Hastings; they're communal. The bathrooms are shared by fewer people than at Gropius, though.

Oooo right I forgot, sorry I was confusing them with something else. Thanks for correcting me!

Applying_Late

Postby Applying_Late » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:21 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
ignatiusr wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:

Oooo right I forgot, sorry I was confusing them with something else. Thanks for correcting me!

Yuck to Gropius. It's like living a jail cell.

kaganator

Postby kaganator » Sat Jun 23, 2012 7:22 pm

Sorry to ask again: any thoughts on living off campus versus living in North? I have the savings to pay the difference, and I'd be living really close (closer, even, than North), but I'm concerned that I'll be a bit out of the loop socially and study-group-wise if I don't live in a dorm.
I'd love for any current HLS students to comment on this.
Thanks!

delusional

Postby delusional » Sat Jun 23, 2012 10:15 pm

kaganator wrote:Sorry to ask again: any thoughts on living off campus versus living in North? I have the savings to pay the difference, and I'd be living really close (closer, even, than North), but I'm concerned that I'll be a bit out of the loop socially and study-group-wise if I don't live in a dorm.
Thanks!

Maybe I'm not the right person to answer this, bec. I live far off campus and I'm definitely out of the loop, but from what I observed among classmantes, as long as your within a certain distance of school, you won't be "out of things". There seems to be a level of socialization that that the dorms provide that may not be available in other places, but it seems to me like that would only matter if you really want that "school" experience.
Even I had no trouble with study groups though.

englawyer

Postby englawyer » Sun Jun 24, 2012 4:40 pm

delusional wrote:
kaganator wrote:Sorry to ask again: any thoughts on living off campus versus living in North? I have the savings to pay the difference, and I'd be living really close (closer, even, than North), but I'm concerned that I'll be a bit out of the loop socially and study-group-wise if I don't live in a dorm.
Thanks!

Maybe I'm not the right person to answer this, bec. I live far off campus and I'm definitely out of the loop, but from what I observed among classmantes, as long as your within a certain distance of school, you won't be "out of things". There seems to be a level of socialization that that the dorms provide that may not be available in other places, but it seems to me like that would only matter if you really want that "school" experience.
Even I had no trouble with study groups though.

socially, living in north is the same as living in an off campus apartment. north is not very social so no worries there. i would say close off-campus/north is the baseline. gropius/hastings is a plus. living far away is a minus.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:17 pm

englawyer wrote:
socially, living in north is the same as living in an off campus apartment. north is not very social so no worries there. i would say close off-campus/north is the baseline. gropius/hastings is a plus. living far away is a minus.

+1. If you generally are someone who makes friends fairly quickly wherever you go, off-campus will work well for you. If you tend to be more shy, more stay at home type, then live in the dorms. Living far away will diminish the law school social experience if you aren't really active at counteracting that, but some people actually find that preferable.

thederangedwang

Postby thederangedwang » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:23 pm

where would you go about acquiring old student outlines? do you just ask 2L or 3L students or is there a place to buy/get them?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”