Harvard 2Ls Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
delusional

Silver

Re: Harvard Rising 2L Taking Questions

Post by delusional » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:31 pm

thederangedwang wrote:where would you go about acquiring old student outlines? do you just ask 2L or 3L students or is there a place to buy/get them?
I have had mixed success generally getting old outlines. If you know older students you can ask them, but the odds are that they didn't have the same professors that you did. Another source is affinity groups like BLSA, HALB, ACS etc - I think most ask that you "join" either by signing up or showing up for a few events, and then they open up their outline bank to you. There are also some randomly available online. You can google, and you'll get the important ones in your first few results.

If you are sure that a recycled outline is the way to go, be sure to start searching early and try everything. It may be difficult to find outlines for a visiting professor, or a young professor, etc. That is one reason why doing it yourself as you take notes throughout the semester has an advantage.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:48 pm

thederangedwang

Silver

Post by thederangedwang » Sun Jun 24, 2012 6:05 pm

acrossthelake wrote:I managed to get old outlines for all my classes. For the ones where the prof was new or visiting, my prof usually announced in class "my exam will be like Prof X's exam", and I got outlines from that prof. Two of the groups I was in had exam banks and I traded for outlines from other banks with friends in different sections. "I'll give you the outlines you need from X's bank if you give me the ones I need from Y's bank."
groups like study groups or associations like delusional mentioned?

Also,care to share which group you were in that had these banks?

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:10 pm

acrossthelake wrote:I managed to get old outlines for all my classes. For the ones where the prof was new or visiting, my prof usually announced in class "my exam will be like Prof X's exam", and I got outlines from that prof. Two of the groups I was in had exam banks and I traded for outlines from other banks with friends in different sections. "I'll give you the outlines you need from X's bank if you give me the ones I need from Y's bank."
I guess that's one advantage of having friends.

Applying_Late

Bronze

Post by Applying_Late » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:13 pm

delusional wrote:
Woah! There is bartering going on at H? I would have thought that students would be altruistic and give outlines to help the ailing student.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

delusional

Silver

Post by delusional » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:17 pm

Applying_Late wrote:
delusional wrote:
Woah! There is bartering going on at H? I would have thought that students would be altruistic and give outlines to help the ailing student.
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or if you misinterpreted what I was trying to say, or what. I just meant that me not being so socially active may have made it harder for me to find outlines.

Applying_Late

Bronze

Post by Applying_Late » Sun Jun 24, 2012 7:24 pm

delusional wrote:
Applying_Late wrote:
delusional wrote:
Not sure if you're being sarcastic or if you misinterpreted what I was trying to say, or what. I just meant that me not being so socially active may have made it harder for me to find outlines.
Woops, I misquoted. I meant to quote acrossthelake. As far your friend vs. nonfriend thing, I would just send emails to people in your section or just ask them in class. Ask until you get an outline. If you are too shy to do that, just write the outline yourself.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:32 pm

Doorkeeper

Gold

Post by Doorkeeper » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:16 pm

acrossthelake wrote:My study group had a dropbox where we dumped in any and all outlines we could either make or find. But I got most of my outlines from upperclassmen I was friends with or exam banks from orgs I was in and was the main contributor to our dropbox. It's not much of a secret which ones have banks.

HLCentral (same group that organizes Bar Review)
The two warring semi-political groups: FedSoc and American Constitution Society
Any ethnic association: APALSA, BLSA, WLA, etc.
Some journals
Some SPOs

Don't really want to out which orgs I was in, but I suppose it's not very much outing to admit that I am a girl and therefore grabbed stuff from the Women's Law Association. I was at least an outline-accessing member of 5 of the groups listed above, and 4 of them had banks.
Thank you for this information. I had no idea this is how things are done...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Jun 25, 2012 12:30 pm

Blessedassurance

Gold

Re: Harvard Rising 2Ls Taking Questions

Post by Blessedassurance » Tue Jun 26, 2012 3:50 am

Is there anyone here who's been a RA before or currently is?

KindleNexusfan

New

Post by KindleNexusfan » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:53 pm

any idea when 2L grades will come out this year?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 8:55 pm

KindleNexusfan wrote:any idea when 2L grades will come out this year?
Came out 1/26 last year, which translates to 1/31 this year. They come out on the same day as 1L grades, I believe.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

thelawschoolproject

Silver

Post by thelawschoolproject » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:50 am

ph14 wrote:
KindleNexusfan wrote:any idea when 2L grades will come out this year?
Came out 1/26 last year, which translates to 1/31 this year. They come out on the same day as 1L grades, I believe.
FWIW, I was told our 1L grades "should" be out 1/28 by 5:00 pm by my OCS adivsor.... although, I have no idea how credible that is.

Gold

Re: Harvard 2Ls Taking Questions

Post by 094320 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:51 pm

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:21 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:FWIW, I was told our 1L grades "should" be out 1/28 by 5:00 pm by my OCS adivsor.... although, I have no idea how credible that is.
that's some bullshit...just release the damn things already...

Blessedassurance

Gold

Post by Blessedassurance » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:53 pm

thelawschoolproject wrote:FWIW, I was told our 1L grades "should" be out 1/28 by 5:00 pm by my OCS adivsor.... although, I have no idea how credible that is.
isn't that the first day of class?...that should be fun

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:54 pm

Blessedassurance wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
Yup. Also, I really wish grades came out quicker so I could decide whether I should take another class with a prof. Oh well.

KindleNexusfan

New

Post by KindleNexusfan » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:17 pm

ph14 wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
Yup. Also, I really wish grades came out quicker so I could decide whether I should take another class with a prof. Oh well.
um, add/drop?

ph14

Gold

Post by ph14 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:19 pm

KindleNexusfan wrote:
ph14 wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote:
Blessedassurance wrote: isn't that the first day of class?...that should be fun
um, add/drop?
Classes fill up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”