Judicial Internship Interview for Magistrate judge

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
twister93

Judicial Internship Interview for Magistrate judge

Postby twister93 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:22 pm

Can anyone tell me whether an internship with a federal magistrate judge is less prestigious than with a federal district judge?

Also, does anyone know anything about Judge Orenstein (EDNY)? Or has anyone interviewed or interned for him? Thanks!

mjb447

Re: Judicial Internship Interview for Magistrate judge

Postby mjb447 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:33 pm

twister93 wrote:Can anyone tell me whether an internship with a federal magistrate judge is less prestigious than with a federal district judge?

As a general matter, my impression is yes. Of course, your actual experience might be more rewarding with an MJ. For example, some MJs give their interns one-on-one time, extensive editing help, interesting projects, career advice and good recommendations going forward, etc., and some DJs don't really interact with their interns at all and have their clerks manage virtually everything.

FascinatedWanderer

Re: Judicial Internship Interview for Magistrate judge

Postby FascinatedWanderer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:31 am

In general, judicial internships aren't prestigious at all, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

That being said Orenstein is a great judge, and is far more qualified than most district judges in the country (though not necessarily SDNY/EDNY judges).

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”