University of Minnesota 2L Taking Questions...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Nova

Re: University of Minnesota 2L Taking Questions...

Postby Nova » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:49 pm

skrzypce wrote:I heard from a reliable source that the school will admit only 180 students to the Class of 2017. I believe their intention is to raise the LSAT profile.

Im sure what you mean is that their goal will be to have about 180 matriculate. theyll admit a lot more.

which is a good thing. Better profile. Less competition in the market.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:33 pm

Nova wrote:
skrzypce wrote:I heard from a reliable source that the school will admit only 180 students to the Class of 2017. I believe their intention is to raise the LSAT profile.

Im sure what you mean is that their goal will be to have about 180 matriculate. theyll admit a lot more.

which is a good thing. Better profile. Less competition in the market.

I heard it was the opposite- I hope skrz is right though.

kd5

Postby kd5 » Tue Feb 18, 2014 7:07 pm

camelthing wrote:I would still like to know a few things about UMN, such as the relative cost and convenience of housing, the relative and raw numbers of adjuncts teaching LW, the quality of the adjuncts teaching LW, whether the median LSAT is really dropping to 164 for the incoming class, whether the laptop has improved at all in recent years, and whether the vindictiveness that he attributed the administration actually exists.

Nova already answered these, but I'll throw in my perspective on a few points:

If you're willing to live with roommates, housing costs aren't bad. The real perk is that the neighborhoods where lots of law students live (Uptown, Lyn-Lake, Warehouse) are really great - fantastic coffee places, tons of bars, a good social scene, nice parks and lakes, good biking options, etc. Minneapolis is a baller place to live. Public transit mostly works well for getting downtown or to campus quickly, so no need for a car.

I haven't heard many complaints (and none as bad as Daniel's) re the quality of adjuncts generally. My LW adjunct works at Thompson Reuters and was terrific, my student instructor was very helpful and now works at Dorsey. My Practice & Professionalism (now called Law in Practice) adjunct was a partner at one of the big local firms (101+). I had both these adjuncts serve as references for me, and I've stayed in touch with them.

I also want to add another point about adjuncts here: Aside from the two adjuncts you'll have (both for P/F/H classes) in 1L, before you choose a class, you can look up the prof who teaches it. You can find out in less than a minute if it's an adjunct, where they work, what they do, etc. and if you have doubts about them, you can email your 2L and 3L friends to see who's had that adjunct and how they liked the class. If they're new, maybe don't take that risk if you don't feel good about it.

It would be incredibly easy to only take 2L and 3L classes with faculty, if you're afraid of adjuncts. Faculty teach seminars too, and they teach almost every large class. We have a good faculty, and signing up for classes taught by adjuncts is strictly optional in 2L and 3L. That said, I have learned more from the adjuncts here than I have from the faculty, and that's because we have some great adjuncts who know what it's like practicing law in 2014.

Adjuncts aren't expected to slave over publications, and maybe as a result many of them are better able to make time for students. Some adjuncts probably do suck, but (a) it's easy to find out whether that's true of any particular adjunct, and (b) based on my experiences and what I've heard, it's probably not a huge fraction of them. The law school should absolutely pay them more and treat them better, but that's a separate issue.

The laptop policy is gone (my year, class of 2014, is the last class that had to buy them).

The administration is much as Nova describes it. If you have any problems or specific needs, be clear about it early on, document everything, and don't assume they'll automatically be sympathetic. I've had two issues crop up that I've brought to them, and I resolved both favorably. It might be smart to find a sympathetic faculty member to confide in first just so you can use the line "Professor SuperPopularWithClout advised me to come to you with this issue."

Moneytrees

Postby Moneytrees » Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:53 pm

The most shocking thing about this thread was the feeble reaction of Minnesota law students to Daniel's incendiary criticisms. All they could muster was essentially "Eh, he's probably exaggerating. It's not so bad, just keep your expectations low".

prosebeforehoes

Postby prosebeforehoes » Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:33 pm

shoeshine wrote:I just read your treatise above.

You sound fun. I think I just found the root of your legal writing problem. Are you always that bombastic?

I realize UMN might not be an awesome school, but you sound like the type of person I am really glad didn't come to my school. Bad mouthing your school anonymously about completely trivial matters is extremely BETA.

Edit:
Figured out why you are angry. viewtopic.php?f=7&t=162896

2.7 GPA first semester = You mad.

Dude, why would you feel like being so inconsiderate, much less act on it?

Giro423

Postby Giro423 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:29 pm

This has been a very hilarious and wild post to read through. As a recently admitted student, do any current UMN students have anything else they can add?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”