University of Minnesota 2L Taking Questions...

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
deadpoetnsp

Re: University of Minnesota 2L Taking Questions...

Postby deadpoetnsp » Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:03 pm

I'm a 1L. I have some feedback on the Practice and Professionalism course that UMN redesigned this year. They have addressed concerns raised last year, and have also regularly sought our feedback. The course has been quite useful, training us to conduct mock client interviews, depositions, chamber conferences with actual judges and mediation sessions with practicing mediators. At least 2 of the adjuncts associated with P&P have been recognized as Minnesota "Lawyers of the Year". My section's adjunct is very committed to the program, has years of experience, and always has useful practical advice for us.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:55 am

The practice and professionalism course is definitely a work in progress, but it seems that they're taking that work in the right direction as far as quality goes.

Small Law

Postby Small Law » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:09 am

Is the OP still around?

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:59 am

Last I heard he took a non-legal job, I don't think he comes around anymore.

Nova

Postby Nova » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:03 pm

OP hasn't posted in almost 2 years

Postby 20141023 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:53 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ti Malice

Postby Ti Malice » Sat Dec 28, 2013 5:18 am

This thread is amazing.

I'd love to know what OP is doing these days. He's clearly a bright guy. Talented writer, too.

midnight_circus

Postby midnight_circus » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:26 am

That was spectacular. Truly splendid. If I ever retire from TLS, I want it to be just like this--a blaze of logic and glory.

OP, wherever you are, rock on.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:43 am

Ti Malice wrote:This thread is amazing.

I'd love to know what OP is doing these days. He's clearly a bright guy. Talented writer, too.

Not really. I actually met him once. He lived in the same building as me. Basically, he decided to teach at a children's theater or some equivalent nonsense. I'm all for having your dream job, but how you mix up law and children's theater is beyond me. He also was a weirdo that wore a cowboy hat to school in the winter. OP was a weirdo.

Postby 58103 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:06 am

I think you're confusing OP with a different individual from the same 1L section with the same first name.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:38 pm

58103 wrote:I think you're confusing OP with a different individual from the same 1L section with the same first name.

I highly doubt it. It's not often you get someone with the same name, in the same class, that have no like for UMN law, that are not going into law, and have a brother at another law school. So no, I doubt I'm confusing him.

daniel3.14

Postby daniel3.14 » Fri Feb 14, 2014 1:37 pm

Jaeger wrote:
58103 wrote:I think you're confusing OP with a different individual from the same 1L section with the same first name.

I highly doubt it. It's not often you get someone with the same name, in the same class, that have no like for UMN law, that are not going into law, and have a brother at another law school. So no, I doubt I'm confusing him.

Dude, yes you are. You're describing Daniel Li. I am NOT Daniel Li! And a quick linkedin search confirms he is now doing children's theater -- not that I approve of your judgmental attitude toward his career choice. So yeah, you were a jerk to the wrong guy. Note that I was previously mistaken for him on an earlier post, which if you'd read more carefully you would have realized. But it's hardly a surprise that a fellow graduate of that ridiculous institution would be eager to plunge in and defend ol' brown and gold, licking the rim of the gopher hole without knowing the facts. A fair number of UMN Law students (a loud minority) seem to suffer the affliction of being irrationally defensive about being at the place the short busses go.

Anyway, I basically retired my account here after I got some very intense pressure from the school to stop posting. Having graduated, there's not a whole lot they can do to screw me anymore (though the Dean said that he would write a letter opposing my admission to the bar, if I ever applied). And because I suppose some people seem to have some interest in how things shook out for me, I'll leave a brief epilogue, which will be my final final post.

So, I graduated a semester early in Dec. 2012 with a crim law concentration. Except for my first semester, when the degenerate, mentally defective administration arbitrarily screwed me over (read posts above if anyone is unclear what transpired), I received an 'A' average or better every single semester (twice getting an 'A+' average -- though the fact that they have this at all is a little bit ridiculous -- what is this, kindergarten?). I also received four "book awards" (a UMN accolade given to the highest scoring individual student in a course), which I am given to understand was a record at the time (though sadly I'm led to believe it has since been surpassed).

Yet despite clearly demonstrating consistent academic overachievement, the admin refused to admit any error in their decision making (by the end of 2L, I would have settled for an apology), and due to my vocal anti-UMN posting here, and subsequent complaints which I voiced directly to the administration, the school actively sought to undermine my career prospects, withdrawing access to my career counselor, career center resources, and instructing my profs not to write recommendations on my behalf. Basically, it was just open (and hypocritically unprofessional) hostility, to the point where even Dean Keyes' secretary was sending snarky emails about my "career prospects" post UMN. Thankfully, despite their openly working to undermine any future plans of mine, they largely failed.

After graduating, I was awarded a very nice European research fellowship, which provides an exceedingly comfortable income while I pursue a PhD in law and economics. After this, I will be on the market for a law professorship, which happily, I have concrete reasons to be optimistic about. So basically, despite the initially negligent and subsequently intentional efforts of the "kind folks" at UMN Law to screw me, I've managed to end up in a pretty okay place, and I'm rather happy about where I am.

In closing, I look back fondly at this thread. What I find most satisfying about it is that I continue to get emails from people I've never met, who share their horror stories from Mondale Hall. Commiseration helps sooth the pain of the supernumerary injustices that "Dean" Keyes and "Dean" Wippman perpetrate (here's hoping they die slowly from AIDS, the subhuman wretches). Matriculating at that contemptible sham "law school" remains, these many years later, the worst decision of my life. If I've saved anyone else from that mistake, then it's been worth the crap I got for it.

Well, as the teenyboppers say, it's been epic.

Signing off,
Daniel

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:10 pm

Well, this thread suddenly became interesting again. Those are some pretty serious/damning allegations if true.

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:51 pm

Very interesting, indeed. Apologies for the mistaken identity, Daniel. My reaction concerning him has little to do with his career choice and more to do with his overwhelming strangeness. But I digress.

If what you say is true, I almost understand your abhorrence for the place. My reaction to this thread went from terror upon discovering it just before starting to, "U Mad Bro?" after going through a couple years at UMN. The reasons for your innate disgust were never fully clear to me, until now.

PS. Don't feel too bad they pulled your career counselor. They are generally useless anyway.

deebanger

Postby deebanger » Fri Feb 14, 2014 2:58 pm

I think UMN should be ashamed of themselves. And I pity those UMN grads who wanted big law jobs in NYC, or LA but could not get those.

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:24 pm

deebanger wrote:I think UMN should be ashamed of themselves. And I pity those UMN grads who wanted big law jobs in NYC, or LA but could not get those.

I don't. That's a dumb as fuck career goal for attending UMN

Jaeger

Postby Jaeger » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:28 pm

Nova wrote:
deebanger wrote:I think UMN should be ashamed of themselves. And I pity those UMN grads who wanted big law jobs in NYC, or LA but could not get those.

I don't. That's a dumb as fuck career goal for attending UMN

This.

vuthy

Postby vuthy » Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:55 pm

daniel3.14 wrote:I graduated a semester early...

Sorry -- random 0L question here, but is this even a thing? How does one graduate early from law school?

Nova

Postby Nova » Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:15 pm

vuthy wrote:
daniel3.14 wrote:I graduated a semester early...

Sorry -- random 0L question here, but is this even a thing? How does one graduate early from law school?

88 credits to graduate.

31 1L

17*3 semesters = 51

6 credits over summer

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Sat Feb 15, 2014 10:02 am

I'm no fan of the administration but those are some serious allegations. I don't know Dean Wippman very well, but I would be stunned if Dean Keyes were a party to something like that.

Postby 20141023 » Sat Feb 15, 2014 11:08 am

Last edited by 20141023 on Sun Feb 15, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AnonymousAlterEgoC

Postby AnonymousAlterEgoC » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:06 am

daniel3.14 wrote:being irrationally defensive about being at the place the short busses go.

Signing off,
Daniel

As a 0L admit considering UMN, I believe Daniel made some good points against UMN in this thread. At the same time, he demonstrated a willingness to use his writing skills to engage in humorous but lowbrow attacks on the school and posters defending the school. The quote above is one such example. I'm not immediately dissuaded by his beefs. The LW class and professionalism class seem to be issues that incoming students may avoid. In summation, I think Daniel provided me with some good questions to ask.

I would still like to know a few things about UMN, such as the relative cost and convenience of housing, the relative and raw numbers of adjuncts teaching LW, the quality of the adjuncts teaching LW, whether the median LSAT is really dropping to 164 for the incoming class, whether the laptop has improved at all in recent years, and whether the vindictiveness that he attributed the administration actually exists.

rad lulz

Postby rad lulz » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:39 am

n
Last edited by rad lulz on Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nova

Postby Nova » Tue Feb 18, 2014 1:50 am

camelthing wrote: 1.The LW class and professionalism class seem to be issues that incoming students may avoid.

I would still like to know a few things about UMN,

2. such as the relative cost and convenience of housing,
3. the relative and raw numbers of adjuncts teaching LW,
4. the quality of the adjuncts teaching LW,
5. whether the median LSAT is really dropping to 164 for the incoming class,
6. whether the laptop has improved at all in recent years, and
7. whether the vindictiveness that he attributed the administration actually exists.

1. they are a joke, just like all classes at all law schools in general.

2. depends what youre looking for

3. umm sections are of 10 and theres like 200 1Ls. so like 20.

4. it really just depends who you get.

5. 164-165/3.8 will most likely be the medians for the class of '17

6. they got rid of that program. you are not req to buy any specific laptop through the school and you can use whatever laptop you want.

7. I think a better way to describe the administration is generally indifferent [to your personal issues]. they go by the book. It doesn't matter if the rules in place are dumb. they will apply them strictly and shrug at your grievances. Most students rarely cross paths with the admin, so its really a not a big deal. I have never had any negative experiences with the admin, and Ive never heard of any allegations of vindictiveness besides the ones posed by Daniel.

skrzypce

Postby skrzypce » Tue Feb 18, 2014 2:46 pm

I heard from a reliable source that the school will admit only 180 students to the Class of 2017. I believe their intention is to raise the LSAT profile.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”