Drexel 3L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
dragon63

Drexel 3L taking questions

Postby dragon63 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:48 am

Happy to answer any questions about Drexel, the Philly job market, and Philly in general (COL, atmosphere, etc.)

A little about me: originally from Philly, went to a USNWR Top 40 school for undergrad, went straight through to law school. Scholarship to Drexel. Internships both 1L and 2L summers, as well as during the 2L school year. In the process of applying/waiting for permanent offers, hoping to stay in the Philly area. Really enjoying my time at Drexel; it was obviously a gamble, but I'm happy with my decision and it seems to be paying off.

johnnyutah

Re: Drexel 3L taking questions

Postby johnnyutah » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:51 pm

General impressions of the Philadelphia job market and the niches the different Philly schools occupy?

kaiser

Postby kaiser » Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:52 pm

Of the large Philly firms, did most come to Drexel's OCI? How did firms handle the unfamiliarity with the school and its students?

dragon63

Postby dragon63 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:54 pm

@johnnyutah: The Philly job market seems to be rebounding, generally. I know there seemed to be a lot more summer positions available in pretty much every category (firms, solo practitioners, PI, government...clerkships have pretty much stayed the same), and based on my conversations with my summer employer and similar conversations my classmates had with theirs, I think a lot of area employers are looking to carry that increase in positions over into permanent hires this year. Obviously, things are nowhere where they used to be before the economy tanked, but even with a full economic rebound, I think the days of the 2L summer position = permanent offer are behind us. As far as niches for the different schools...

Penn- generally corporate law; a lot of students tend to leave the area, usually NYC or DC.

Villanova- primarily tax/corporate law; their students are more likely to stay local.

Temple- strong reputation for government and PI; trial advocacy program is very well respected; alums almost exclusively stay in the Philly area.

Widener, Rutgers-Camden and Penn State- don't seem to have a clear niche IMO. I've encountered fewer Penn State alums in Philly than alums of either Widener or Rutgers. My impression is that Penn State has more opportunities toward central PA.

Drexel- health law program is pretty unique in the area schools; a lot of interest in PI/government.

@kaiser: All of the big firms have been/are being represented at OCI this year, as they were last year. As far as your second question, I think the bottom line this this: firms aren't familiar with the individual students they're interviewing at any school any given year. The only thing they are familiar with is the general reputation of students from that school, which is really just a familiarity with the school. Drexel is still a very new program, so means that we don't have a lengthy reputation, good or bad, but I think the school has been doing a good job of getting the name out there. Everyone that I've encountered in interviews/summer jobs has known something about the school. I think the fact that big firms (and employers generally) have repeatedly been participating in OCI shows that they're interested in seeing what we have to offer, and the fact that they've been making summer and permanent offers to Drexel students shows that they must be liking something they're seeing. Obviously, it's pretty early in the hiring cycle to know what the offer landscape will look like once the dust settles, so right now, we're playing the waiting game just like all the other students in the area. I swear, the only enjoyable thing about this time of year is baseball!

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:15 pm

dragon63 wrote:Villanova- primarily tax/corporate law; their students are more likely to stay local.

This might just be with my particular class (current 2Ls) but a lot seem to want to get out of Philadelphia if possible. A bunch got burned at OCI for not being able to persuasively articulate why they want to stay in Philly. Don't mean to hijack, just tossing in my observations.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sat Aug 27, 2011 4:21 pm

What kind of options will hitting median at Drexel generally give you?

dragon63

Postby dragon63 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:57 pm

@johnnyutah: I don't have a really clear answer for you. I'm not personally going into BigLaw, and there aren't really enough years of statistics available from Drexel yet to draw any conclusions. But, based solely on the students I've spoken to at Drexel and some of the area schools, it seems like the OCI options our midrange students are pretty comparable to those of midrange students at Villanova and Rutgers. They seem to be a little better (better meaning more screenings/CBs/more prestigious firms) than median at Widener, but not as good as Temple and Penn. I couldn't give a really good answer about Penn State because I only know one or two students there.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:19 pm

dragon63 wrote:@johnnyutah: I don't have a really clear answer for you. I'm not personally going into BigLaw, and there aren't really enough years of statistics available from Drexel yet to draw any conclusions. But, based solely on the students I've spoken to at Drexel and some of the area schools, it seems like the OCI options our midrange students are pretty comparable to those of midrange students at Villanova and Rutgers. They seem to be a little better (better meaning more screenings/CBs/more prestigious firms) than median at Widener, but not as good as Temple and Penn. I couldn't give a really good answer about Penn State because I only know one or two students there.

Are you seriously saying that Temple > Villanova when it comes to job placement? :roll:

dragon63

Postby dragon63 » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:32 pm

@beach_terror: Didn't you just say yourself that a lot of your class has been unsuccessful in OCI?

That aside, what I actually said was that based on MY personal conversations with students that (at least as they've represented to me) are in the middle of their classes at Drexel, Villanova, and Temple, the students at Drexel and Villanova seem to have similar options, and the students at Temple seem to have slightly better ones (both in number and in quality).

If you're interested in getting some additional perspective on Villanova vs. Temple job prospects and placement, perhaps you'd have better luck starting an independent thread.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:36 pm

dragon63 wrote:@beach_terror: Didn't you just say yourself that a lot of your class has been unsuccessful in OCI?

I didn't say they were unsuccessful, I just said that they're having trouble listing persuasive reasons for wanting to work in Philadelphia. For anyone that had more than 2-3 OCI interviews, almost all have received at least one CB by now. It's too early to make conclusions about job placement, obviously.

I don't have any interest in derailing the thread, I'm always amazed that people think there's a recognizable difference between the two. And let's be real, if you're at median at any of the Philly T2 type schools, you're in serious trouble.

Anywho, continue on topic. Sorry.

mrtoren

Postby mrtoren » Tue Nov 22, 2011 6:17 pm

Reviving this due to some recent interest on my part in at least applying. The school appears to have LSAT/GPA medians right around Temple and Villanova. Obviously its a new school with little establishment in both reputation and alumni. Nevertheless, does Drexel have a strong reputation beyond its law school? Will this law school have stronger job placement in 2-3 years?

Or is it destined to be a TTT/TTTT wash-out? I'm concerned about keeping costs down and Drexel appears to be handing out decent money.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Tue Nov 22, 2011 7:24 pm

mrtoren wrote:Reviving this due to some recent interest on my part in at least applying. The school appears to have LSAT/GPA medians right around Temple and Villanova. Obviously its a new school with little establishment in both reputation and alumni. Nevertheless, does Drexel have a strong reputation beyond its law school? Will this law school have stronger job placement in 2-3 years?

Or is it destined to be a TTT/TTTT wash-out? I'm concerned about keeping costs down and Drexel appears to be handing out decent money.

Employers LOVE Drexel undergrad. My dad hires software/computer engineers for his company exclusively.

dragon63

Postby dragon63 » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:00 pm

This year, Drexel will be graduating the 4th class. Many of our alums have tended to stay local, which is obviously helpful for providing the beginnings of a network for future students. As an undergrad institution, Drexel has a really solid local reputation. As beach_terror said, a lot of that is due to the co-op program; most undergrads are required to do a co-op in their field in order to graduate, so the school is very integrated into the economic and social fabric of the city. The co-op program has also been continued in the law school (although it's not mandatory for everyone at that level); I know of quite a few co-op placements that have turned into permanent job offers this year and in years prior.

I think job placement is already getting stronger, and that trend will continue. Among my classmates, I personally know of at least a dozen clerkships (federal and state), as well as offers from pretty much all the major Philly firms, and several PI job offers. Again, these are just the jobs I personally know about. I don't see the school going anywhere; it's well-funded and well-staffed with faculty recruited from top tier schools. With every year, Drexel becomes less of a gamble. I've never regretted my decision to go; I'm about to graduate with very little debt, my dream job, and hands-on experience in my chosen area of law. Feel free to PM me.

acirilli1722

Postby acirilli1722 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 8:04 pm

Reviving the thread again. What is the grading curve like at Drexel. The scholarship stipulation I have is 2.95 which doesn't seem bad at all but I wasn't sure if they had a strict curve.

ViViV

Postby ViViV » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:33 pm

acirilli1722 wrote:Reviving the thread again. What is the grading curve like at Drexel. The scholarship stipulation I have is 2.95 which doesn't seem bad at all but I wasn't sure if they had a strict curve.

1L class median grades must be 2.8-3.0. http://www.earlemacklaw.drexel.edu/stud ... 011-12/#IB Some professors try to get the median as close to 3.0 as possible, but I wouldn't count on it.

So you would probably have to be in the top half of the class--which isn't hard if you're smart--to keep the scholarship.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:37 pm

ViViV wrote:So you would probably have to be in the top half of the class--which isn't hard if you're smart somewhat smart and work really hard--to keep the scholarship.

FTFY

ViViV

Postby ViViV » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:58 pm

beach_terror wrote:
ViViV wrote:So you would probably have to be in the top half of the class--which isn't hard if you're smart somewhat smart and work really hard--to keep the scholarship.

FTFY

That hasn't been my experience. I didn't work that hard and I'm well over the 50% mark. Maybe "lucky" should be on the list too.

@acirilli1722 My description of the curve was wrong. Each class' mean grade must be 2.8-3.0. (Median would be sweet though.)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”