Is it worthwhile to do an LLM post JD if not practicing Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
DCC

New

Is it worthwhile to do an LLM post JD if not practicing

Post by DCC » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:08 am

Had to shorten the subject line.

Essentially I have an MBA and just finished a JD in PA but came to Dallas for SMU.
I do not have any intention to practice but figured a corporate law LLM at SMU might be helpful in making connections.
The problem is that I am finding the courses to be all case oriented. VERY little practical knowledge. That essentially makes it like my 1L year all over again and I'm pretty burnt out after just graduating and taking the bar.

I now must decide if it's an advantage to have an SMU LLM if I'm going to be practicing in the financial word (at least that's the aim, it's all about finding a job)

I did just meet after typing this, a 3L who agreed that near all of the courses are casebook, cases, dates etc and not a lot of practical application or teaching the rules. Rather most are trying to think a learning process similar (like I stated above) to 1L.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks

TommyK

Silver

Re: Is it worthwhile to do an LLM post JD if not practicing

Post by TommyK » Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:16 am

IBLLMflowchart.jpg

MrAnon

Gold

Post by MrAnon » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:00 pm

wow don't do this. The only people in the program are JDs who couldn't get jobs. You want to make connections with them? Go right ahead.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:21 pm

The above poster wrote that all SMU LLM students are unemployed JDs---is this accurate ?

The financial world--especially life & annuity companies as well as tax shelter advisors--value LLMs. Also, I recently read over the individual profiles of a highly respected law firm (with less than 100 lawyers) that included three LLMs who earned their JDs at tier two & tier three law schools. The problem, however, is that LLMs in the financial world are not highly paid.

P.S. The best path, in my opinion, to earning a LLM degree is while working full-time in a related field so that you can combine practical experience with academic learning while enjoying tuition reimbursement from your employer.

nealric

Post by nealric » Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:17 pm

The financial world--especially life & annuity companies as well as tax shelter advisors--value LLMs. Also, I recently read over the individual profiles of a highly respected law firm (with less than 100 lawyers) that included three LLMs who earned their JDs at tier two & tier three law schools. The problem, however, is that LLMs in the financial world are not highly paid.
WTF is a "tax shelter adviser"?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:29 am

nealric wrote:
WTF is a "tax shelter adviser"?
Hey, people don't call you out when YOU decide to call yourself make-believe things like...

!!

reasonable_man

Gold

Post by reasonable_man » Fri Sep 16, 2011 7:47 am

LLM = Lawyers Losing Money. Period. End of Story.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”