Supplement Recs

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
stadt

Supplement Recs

Postby stadt » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:40 am

Would like some advice from 2Ls, 3Ls on what supplements they thought were best for success in the first year. I've been reading a lot of information on different books and styles but there doesn't seem to be much consensus other than buy the E&Es. I noticed there are also Glannon series, Siegel's, Understanding, Law in a Flash, certain books recommended for specific classes but not others. Anyway I'm ordering books soon and I'd rather do it online than pay a small fortune for them at the bookstore. Danke!

kaiser

Re: Supplement Recs

Postby kaiser » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:42 am

stadt wrote:Would like some advice from 2Ls, 3Ls on what supplements they thought were best for success in the first year. I've been reading a lot of information on different books and styles but there doesn't seem to be much consensus other than buy the E&Es. I noticed there are also Glannon series, Siegel's, Understanding, Law in a Flash, certain books recommended for specific classes but not others. Anyway I'm ordering books soon and I'd rather do it online than pay a small fortune for them at the bookstore. Danke!

Wait until school starts and then ask your professor what supplements he recommends. Contrary to what you may think, there are few one-size-fits-all supplements since each professor teaches in a wildly different way and will focus on different things. The few supplements that I feel are helpful across the board are:

E&E Civil Procedure
Chemerinsky's Con Law Book
E&E Torts

But other than that, you want to consult with your professor and see what he/she recommends

downstream

Re: Supplement Recs

Postby downstream » Thu Jul 28, 2011 12:09 pm

Dressler- Understanding Crim Law

Understanding Property

Farnsworth on K's

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”