Boalt 3Ls Taking Questions . . . Fire Away!!

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
IzziesGal

Boalt 3Ls Taking Questions . . . Fire Away!!

Postby IzziesGal » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:27 pm

Hey everyone!! I don't know if this thread will take off or not (considering the huge popularity of the Boalt 1Ls taking Qs thread....which 2Ls and 3Ls frequently join), but I am bored on a plane right now and was hoping to get a space for rising 3Ls to answer questions.

Feel free to ask us anything and everything Boalt/Bay Area related. Although note that with the change in OCIP from OCIP to EIW, we may not be as much help with logistical information as the rising 2Ls will be.....

Fire away!

worldtraveler

Re: Boalt 3Ls Taking Questions . . . Fire Away!!

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:36 am

When are we getting together when I get back? You and I need to go out for some serious Mexican and/or Indian food because I am STARVING in this country.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:10 pm

I don't know if he/she is a flame, but that poster certainly isn't representative of anyone I know at Boalt.

Since I'm a joint degree I'm technically not a 3L next year but I'm going to post in this thread anyway.

Also, (and I'm dead serious about this) if anyone can find a way to mail a Chipotle burrito to Sierra Leone then I will love you forever. I'm seriously famished over here and being on the internet has made me see all of these food ads and get a one tracked mind.

miracle2011

Postby miracle2011 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:17 pm

1. Do you know of anyone working at public interest organizations abroad (especially in Latin America)? Does Boalt offer a lot of assistence to students wishing to pursue international opportunities during summers/after law school?

2. I am confused about the LRAP, does it pay off up to $100,000 in law school debt or do you need $100,000 in debt to qualify for Berkeley's LRAP (which will then pay off 100% of your law school debt)?

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:27 pm

miracle2011 wrote:1. Do you know of anyone working at public interest organizations abroad (especially in Latin America)? Does Boalt offer a lot of assistence to students wishing to pursue international opportunities during summers/after law school?

2. I am confused about the LRAP, does it pay off up to $100,000 in law school debt or do you need $100,000 in debt to qualify for Berkeley's LRAP (which will then pay off 100% of your law school debt)?

1. Me. I work abroad. A bunch of other people work in Latin America, including another poster (Shaggier maybe)? I'm not quite sure what assistance you're talking about. For summers, there is financial assistance in the form of grants. Some are competitive, some are not. In terms of assistance finding a position, probably very little. To be quite blunt, if you want to be independent enough to work abroad then you need to do the legwork yourself. Some professors have connections, but 95% of the people who go abroad from any school did it on their own. Use google to find stuff. I'm serious, that's what I do and it really works.
If you are interested in Latin America, you should do the International Human Rights Clinic, which is mostly focused on Latin America. You also need to speak Spanish. Allison Davenport and Roxanna Altholz, two of the clinical professors, both have experience working in Latin America and could probably advise you the best.

2. Neither are correct. The LRAP has been updated and I think you're looking at the old version. It covers any amount of debt. It requires you to enroll in the federal IBR program, which puts you on reduced monthly payments. If you make under 65k a year, your full (reduced) payment is covered. If you make between 65k and 100k then a portion of your payment is covered, on a sliding scale. Once you work in a qualifying job for 120 monthly payments (10 years, doesn't have to be continuous), then the remainder of debt is forgiven. If you really want to know more, contact Sigrid Allen at the LRAP office because a lot of students seem to have misinformation about it. The LRAP is awesome but it does require commitment. Our LRAP also covers 2 year clerkships or 1 year clerkships if you plan to do public interest afterword.

BackToTheOldHouse

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:37 pm

Do you know of any students that successfully mass mailed firms not participating in OCI to get 1L/2L SA positions in secondary markets?

TIA

p.s. - Will someone please mail worldtraveler a whole pizza from The Cheese Board? :mrgreen:

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:45 pm

tag

Kronk

Postby Kronk » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:45 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Do you know of any students that successfully mass mailed firms not participating in OCI to get 1L/2L SA positions in secondary markets?

TIA

p.s. - Will someone please mail worldtraveler a whole pizza from The Cheese Board? :mrgreen:

And yes I know quite a few in the secondary market I'm looking at, but I am just a 2L myself so don't want to commandeer the thread.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:56 pm

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:Do you know of any students that successfully mass mailed firms not participating in OCI to get 1L/2L SA positions in secondary markets?

TIA

Dude don't tempt me with cheese. There is hardly any cheese in Africa. I'm going to come home and eat dairy products until I'm sick.

Also, I do know of some students who mass mailed but not to get secondary markets. However, I'm also the last person who should be answering firm job questions.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:53 pm

TIA

Me. I mass mailed all over the East Coast as a rising 2L. I landed two interviews in NJ - one at a larger (for NJ) firm and one at a genuine midsize shop, as well as two interviews in Philly - one in big law (Vault 100) and one at an enviro boutique. Although I ended up accepting an offer at a V50 in a major market, I'd be happy to answer any questions. :D

Disclaimer: I had ties to both areas.
Last edited by IzziesGal on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:56 pm

worldtraveler wrote:

TIA

Dude don't tempt me with cheese. There is hardly any cheese in Africa. I'm going to come home and eat dairy products until I'm sick.

Also, I do know of some students who mass mailed but not to get secondary markets. However, I'm also the last person who should be answering firm job questions.

Ahhhh! I miss you! Don't worry....as soon as you come back from Africa, we will dig in to a cheese buffet. :D

And I can sort of feel your pain, although I know my situation pales in comparison....NY is NOT friendly to vegetarians. I went home for the Fourth of July weekend (yes, I flew home for two days....it was to see my husband and my dog....and not necessarily in that order) and went to my all time favorite diner in the Bay - Can't Fail Cafe in Emeryville (Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives...what what!!). Anyway, I had so many options it made my head hurt. I ended up having two amazing vegetarian options for brunch and bringing leftovers back to our apt for later. I heart the food in Berkeley.

IzziesGal

Postby IzziesGal » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:08 pm

Sorry for starting this thread and then disappearing.

Look, in every situation, there are outliers. I'm no statistician, but this, my friend, seems to be an outlier. Both Worldtraveler and I can vouch for the fact that this is the exception rather than the rule for the class of 2012. It's all about marketing yourself. No matter who you are - whether your transcript is covered in all HHs or even plated in gold for that matter - it is simply a mistake to sit around and wait for the firms to come to you at OCiP. You should ALL be mass mailing prior to the start of on-campus recruiting season. What's the worst that could happen? You land a few pre OCIP interviews, get some valuable big law interviewing experience, and possibly even land an offer going into OCIP and can use that as leverage?? Why wouldn't anyone want to be proactive? It's your career....your future. Not the CDOs. Take charge of it yourself.

Edit....I am on my fancy pants iPad and thus cannot type worth a damn. Don't judge me.

miracle2011

Postby miracle2011 » Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:32 pm

worldtraveler wrote:
miracle2011 wrote:1. Do you know of anyone working at public interest organizations abroad (especially in Latin America)? Does Boalt offer a lot of assistence to students wishing to pursue international opportunities during summers/after law school?

1. Me. I work abroad. A bunch of other people work in Latin America, including another poster (Shaggier maybe)? I'm not quite sure what assistance you're talking about. For summers, there is financial assistance in the form of grants. Some are competitive, some are not. In terms of assistance finding a position, probably very little. To be quite blunt, if you want to be independent enough to work abroad then you need to do the legwork yourself. Some professors have connections, but 95% of the people who go abroad from any school did it on their own. Use google to find stuff. I'm serious, that's what I do and it really works.
If you are interested in Latin America, you should do the International Human Rights Clinic, which is mostly focused on Latin America. You also need to speak Spanish. Allison Davenport and Roxanna Altholz, two of the clinical professors, both have experience working in Latin America and could probably advise you the best.

2. Neither are correct. The LRAP has been updated and I think you're looking at the old version. It covers any amount of debt. It requires you to enroll in the federal IBR program, which puts you on reduced monthly payments. If you make under 65k a year, your full (reduced) payment is covered. If you make between 65k and 100k then a portion of your payment is covered, on a sliding scale. Once you work in a qualifying job for 120 monthly payments (10 years, doesn't have to be continuous), then the remainder of debt is forgiven. If you really want to know more, contact Sigrid Allen at the LRAP office because a lot of students seem to have misinformation about it. The LRAP is awesome but it does require commitment. Our LRAP also covers 2 year clerkships or 1 year clerkships if you plan to do public interest afterword.

How competitive are the clinics? Particularly the international human rights one?

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:15 pm

I agree with IG and WT. Probably not a flame-- in one post he/she offered proof with info behind a student-only password-- but not necessarily representative. I had a couple of friends that were probably a bit narrow and/or unrealistic with their OCIP bids and struck out there, but both found paid work before spring break. One was not terribly keen on going to the secondary market where she found a job but she is having a great time and may return after graduation.

To the one who asked about Intl opportunities, join the international law journal as a 1L. Good exposure to programs. And there's a bit of a Den Haag (The Hague) Mafia and we have had someone at the ICC as a law clerk for at least the past couple of years and I thnk a couple before that. It's not Latin America but a great intl opportunity.

WT/IG no food travails here in DC but would be happy to join you for a fondue fest.

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:55 am

miracle2011 wrote:
worldtraveler wrote:

How competitive are the clinics? Particularly the international human rights one?

They are competitive but you can apply each semester so you have 4 chances. If you really want the human rights one, take international human rights law or international law as a 1L elective and get involved in the 1L clinics. I would recommend taking those classes before you do it anyway. If you are interested in public interest stuff, AVOID doing it spring of your 2L year because that is when you will apply for jobs/fellowships. 3L fall you'll also do the same thing. If you have a choice, pick 2L fall or 3L spring if you can't do it then. I did it 2L spring and I really wish I had done it in the fall instead. Someone will probably tell you not to do it in the fall (like everyone told me), which is true if you want a firm job but not if you want public interest.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”