Duke vs. Vandy school culture, student body, etc. Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Grizz

Diamond

Re: Duke vs. Vandy school culture, student body, etc.

Post by Grizz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 2:45 pm

duckmoney wrote: It would probably depend on the firm to say whether the lower T14 was better than Vandy. Local firms might prefer Vandy, while satellites of NYC firms might prefer Cornell. If your goal is the south when deciding law schools, it's probably a wash and your decision should be based on cost and subjective factors.
In most markets in the South, Southern firms are the big dogs. Miami comes to mind as an exception. Furthermore, even at satellites, it's pretty common for the national firm to merge in a local firm (see, e.g., K&L Gates Charlotte) or to recruit locals to man the office (see, e.g., Quarles & Brady Tampa). These firms generally don't just relocate a bunch of New Yorkers. Still might be a wash, as Cornell's got some name brand recognition, but don't underestimate that a bunch of Southern firms come to OCI. Think basically almost every big firm in Birmingham, ATL, and Nashville, a very healthy amount of Texas and Charlotte firms, and a smattering of LA, MS, and KY (not technically the South, but you get the idea).

FL is actually a notable exception. They want to hire Vandy grads, but don't want to pay to come to OCI. FL hiring is a shitshow right now.

gavinstevens

Bronze

Post by gavinstevens » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:17 pm

Grizz wrote:
duckmoney wrote: FL hiring is a shitshow right now.
On this point, anywhere in the south that isn't? Texas maybe?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:13 pm

Alabama is doing well. NC firms have seemed to hire any Duke student that was serious.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:24 pm

+1 to Alabama, Birmingham specifically. Recruiting there has its own challenges, however. Heavily 1L focused. If you're not from Birmingham and want to work there, you pretty have to land a 1L SA. A lot of firms fill a wide swathe of their class with rehired 2Ls. 2L Birmingham recruiting is almost nonexistent for out-of-staters without 1L SAs.

Also, split are common, and so are no-offers, so you're gonna want to lock up two firms 2L summer to feel safe.

anewaphorist

Bronze

Post by anewaphorist » Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:49 pm

The increase in prestige and job prospects are real, and you wouldn't lose that much in terms of social life. You're going to law school to get a job. Keep that in mind.
I would argue that HYS >>>>>> CC >> VD >> rest of T13 >>> Vandy / UT >>>>>>>>>> Local state school.

Buzzkill. I think most people are aware of the difference in ranking between the two schools. OP was asking about (and I'm also interested in) the respective student bodies, cities, and student life at the schools. Placement at mid-market firms doesn't really factor into that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

duckmoney

Silver

Post by duckmoney » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:56 am

anewaphorist wrote:
The increase in prestige and job prospects are real, and you wouldn't lose that much in terms of social life. You're going to law school to get a job. Keep that in mind.
I would argue that HYS >>>>>> CC >> VD >> rest of T13 >>> Vandy / UT >>>>>>>>>> Local state school.

Buzzkill. I think most people are aware of the difference in ranking between the two schools. OP was asking about (and I'm also interested in) the respective student bodies, cities, and student life at the schools. Placement at mid-market firms doesn't really factor into that.
My argument is that when deciding between schools of sufficiently disparate placement power like Duke and Vandy, those factors should not make much of a different. Go to the school that will get you the best jerb.

Now, between, say, Vandy and UT, those factors might be more relevant.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:36 pm

It's interesting how people hype up Vandy and slight Duke all the time on these boards, but then when the two are compared, people talk about how much better Duke is than Vandy. Not saying anything, I just find that curious.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:51 pm

anewaphorist wrote:

He's wrong anyway. The CC>> VD is so wrong it's almost laughable. Southern firms don't give any schools but HYS more credit than UVA and Duke.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:44 am

So would you say southern firms view it as: HYS > V, D > CC > Vandy ; or HYS > V, D > Vandy > CC; or HYS > V, D > CC,Vandy?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 1:41 pm

If you have the ties to your desired employment location, then go to the best school you can. If you do not, I would still go to CC over Vandy because you don't know if you are going to get a job in the South without ties regardless. Might as well cover yourself by going somewhere with amazing placement.

bep244

New

Post by bep244 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:36 am

I am also a 1L at Duke, and my decision last year was actually down to Duke and Vandy. I agree with most of what has been said so far. I visited ASW for both schools and found those trips to be EXTREMELY helpful. Ultimately, they are very similar, but I really just got the impression at Duke that, while we like to party, the people seemed to have a wider variety of experiences prior to coming to law school, and people seemed a little more serious about being there. I think you really can see differences after visiting both schools.

Durham actually does have a decent amount of stuff to do. There are lots of microbrews and some really good restaurants. Plus, we're only 2-3 hours away from the beach and the mountains, Chapel Hill is only 15 minutes away, and Raleigh is only 30 min. So while you're not in NYC, you can still find things going on. Basketball games are really awesome too!

And on the job front, I know at least 10 or so 1Ls (probably more) that already have paying firm jobs lined up for this summer, and we don't even have our fall grades back yet. I did notice that the firm receptions I attended while back home for break only had students from T14 schools (there were no Vandy students at any of them). Not sure if they didn't apply, weren't in town, or weren't invited, but it was something I noticed.

Really though, the best thing about Duke so far has been the other students. You always hear horror stories of competitive schools, but I know most of the 1L class pretty well, and everyone would share notes if you're sick, study with you, or help you out if you needed it. On top of that, we have a lot of interesting, outgoing, and well-rounded classmates that I have really enjoyed getting to know.

Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”