University of Richmond Law School

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PresMacAllen

University of Richmond Law School

Postby PresMacAllen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:11 pm

Is there anyone on TLS that attends this school? And if so, can you provide us some insight on your experiences? I'm considering applying to U of R but I heard many conflicting testimonies about the school and I think in this legal environment, it's a huge risk to attend a tier 2. Thanks!

dibs

Re: University of Richmond Law School

Postby dibs » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:29 pm

anything outside the T14 is going to be a risk. unless you pull top10% and LR, your options will be limited.

THAT BEING SAID, UR is a particularly strong T2. it's very well recognized in the region, has a fantastic alumni network, and the level of instruction and accessibility is hard to beat. the new dean is being very aggressive with improving our rank, among other things, and you'll probably see us break the Top50 within a few years.

vissidarte27

Postby vissidarte27 » Tue Oct 25, 2011 6:45 pm

I'm thinking about it, too. My partner and I live in Virginia currently and love it so much that we can't fathom leaving. U of R does well in Richmond, and I think we'd probably be happy there, but I'm not sure.

Best thing about Richmond? I'm probably going to visit the law school tomorrow afternoon -- is there anything I should make sure not to miss?

ap613

Postby ap613 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:14 pm

vissidarte27 wrote:I'm thinking about it, too. My partner and I live in Virginia currently and love it so much that we can't fathom leaving. U of R does well in Richmond, and I think we'd probably be happy there, but I'm not sure.

Best thing about Richmond? I'm probably going to visit the law school tomorrow afternoon -- is there anything I should make sure not to miss?

Mind sharing any observations after your visit? I'm also looking at UR.

tania.z

Postby tania.z » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:47 pm

Does anyone have information on this school? I have also applied

el William

Postby el William » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:47 pm

I was accepted here a few months ago and I am seriously considering attending. Barring acceptance at UNC which is in-state and obviously a much better deal $$$, I will probably choose UR.

I am planning on going to the ASD on 3/30...any one else?

I am cautiously optimistic about the chances that Richmond could provide. I know the risks of going to a tier 2 school, but I think UR is on the rise and Richmond has a pretty good sized legal market.

I would be interested to hear about summer employment prospects from some current students. How helpful is the Career Services Office?

milljp02

Postby milljp02 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:56 pm

el William wrote:
I am planning on going to the ASD on 3/30...any one else?

I am cautiously optimistic about the chances that Richmond could provide. I know the risks of going to a tier 2 school, but I think UR is on the rise and Richmond has a pretty good sized legal market.

I would be interested to hear about summer employment prospects from some current students.

I couldn't get out there for the ASDs but I did get up there for a tour mid-week a couple weeks ago. Two things I saw/heard that might be relevant to you. First, my student tour guide was pretty helpful and regarding summer work she noted that 1Ls generally will not be working for pay over the summer (and this seems to be accurate at most schools that aren't T-14). That being said, UR offers a pretty nice deal for folks interning with public service outfits - last summer they were able to do a $2000 stipend for these folks and there were over 100 of them. They plan to offer even more this year (which may have something to do with the lower scholarships, not sure). As far as 2L and 3L summers, that's entirely up to you and your 1L grades where you'll go/what you'll do, but those stipends are still available if you need to intern again.

The other very encouraging thing I saw while visiting was a headline on the front page of the Richmond Times-Dispatch (their big local paper) that unemployment in VA was down to 5.8% While I don't know exactly what the area's legal employment stats are, 5.8% is probably a good thing for everybody.

Then there's the intangible aspect of the people there (which is what ultimately sold me), and you just have to experience that for yourself. Good luck!

el William

Postby el William » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:26 pm

milljp02 wrote:
el William wrote:

(which is what ultimately sold me)!

so will you be attending UR in the fall?

abbottsbar

Postby abbottsbar » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:51 pm

I'm attending the ASD on 3/30

milljp02

Postby milljp02 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:16 am

el William wrote:
milljp02 wrote:
el William wrote:

(which is what ultimately sold me)!

so will you be attending UR in the fall?

Yep. Sent the check in last week.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”