UCLA 3L Answering Qs

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
mrxismyhro

UCLA 3L Answering Qs

Postby mrxismyhro » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:28 pm

Whatchu wanna know?

glitter178

Re: UCLA 3L Answering Qs

Postby glitter178 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:32 pm

how's it going over there at ucla? job? class rank?

mrxismyhro

Postby mrxismyhro » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:58 pm

honestly, the job search was pretty rough. At the end of 2L, I ended up around top 15% and baarely (and luckily) secured a position in big law in May. I may have just been applying to the wrong firms, but I went from January to March without a word from anyone.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:03 pm

uf. well, congrats anyway! firm here in la or elsewhere? know anybody ready to jump off a cliff or are people doing okay?

mrxismyhro

Postby mrxismyhro » Thu Jun 09, 2011 3:39 pm

thanks, yea, a firm in LA. Everyone I know ended up with some work or another, but a looot of people ended up settling for work in fields that they had no interest in. waaaay more depressing than I expected when I started law school, but at least everyone got jobs, and almost everyone is getting paid. I guess that's all we can ask for. HOWEVER, in April, a ton of jobs opened up. Investment banks have begun hiring again, and law firms generally follow their lead. I really think that OCI for 2Ls next year will be a pleasant surprise.

lawschoolisfun2012

Postby lawschoolisfun2012 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:24 am

I am taking a criminal law class with Professor Laura Gomez. She is visiting my school (not UCLA). I was hoping to get a few of her old exams. Can you please log into the UCLA law exam files and email any criminal law Gomez exams? THANK YOU! PM if you have a question.

weee

Postby weee » Tue Jun 21, 2011 1:27 am

Maybe you can help answer the questions of folks in the other UCLA thread, particularly about how people did looking for work outside of LA.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=138344&start=75

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:32 pm

Last edited by missinglink on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CindyLarson84

Postby CindyLarson84 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:26 am

I want to live close to school but nothing that is exorbitantly expensive...

any tips?? Thanks!

mrxismyhro

Postby mrxismyhro » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:30 am

If you want to find a place close to school in a relatively inexpensive area, I would suggest looking in Culver City or Santa Monica. Both have lots of apartments nearby and the rent is considerably cheaper than Westwood.

I forgot to mention this earlier, but I am actually a transfer student. Transfer students ended up all over the place, and I think their success more often than not was determined by where they transferred from. Those who came from better schools found jobs faster and easier. Only two or three transfers were able to acquire jobs from OCI (as far as I know).

As for acquiring jobs out of LA, I don't think it was incredibly difficult for those from the Bay area to acquire a position in SF. Even if you have no prior connection to NorCal, with a little perseverance, I think most UCLA grads were able job in their desired cities. Out of state may be a little harder, but I do know plenty of folks who ended up in NY this summer. Take that as you will :-)

UCLAOldTimer

Postby UCLAOldTimer » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:11 pm

Never posted here before, but just found this thread and thought I could give some advice on point.

I graduated some time ago (5-10 years). Tried to get into the NY market after LS and failed miserably. (I have strong ties to the area.) The only people I know who pulled it off were Order of the Coif. You should look up V100 firms in NYC and do a UCLA school search. Should give you a pretty good idea of how the school places in this market. Outside of Biglaw, people like to hire their own, and UCLA is way off their radar. I had interviewers who didnt know whether UCLA was better or worse than UCSD or Hofstra for example.

Bottom line I loved UCLA (and tuition was way less than half what you guys pay) but after moving to NY my career was pretty much DOA, and I had to find something else to do. Oh, I had a 3.3 before the school went through grade inflation. We were on a 20/60/20 curve back then. Not sure what that would translate to now.

So bottom line, if you want to practice in NY, UCLA is a pretty bad move.

BTW, is Binder still teaching CivPro?

rahul2092

Postby rahul2092 » Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:09 pm

Hey I from Hyderabad, India. I was wondering approx what % of the class are international students? Anyone from India?
What is the student body like? Young? Old? Will someone who just came from undergrad do alright?
Do most 1L's live on campus or off? What's the social scene like?

Thanks!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”