FAMU LAW SCHOOL?? Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
shono

New

FAMU LAW SCHOOL??

Post by shono » Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:09 pm

I am considering FAMU LAW School, does anyone have any advice on first year expenses on books and living expenses? Did you all pay for them out of pocket or how does that work?

PresMacAllen

New

Re: FAMU LAW SCHOOL??

Post by PresMacAllen » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:11 pm

I'd imagine that if FAMU doesn't offer you any merit scholarships, you'd have to finance law school through federal or private loans. I think for living/book expenses, you can find that info on FAMU's website.

With the shrinking legal market and slow growth as of late, wouldn't it be a bit safer to attend a higher ranked school? Even if you're top 5%-10% at FAMU, I'd imagine it might be pretty hard competing with an already over-saturated Florida market with several FL law schools. I think Florida has three law schools that are in the top 100; University of Florida and Florida State University are both bottom tier 1 and University of Miami is tier 2.

If it's the HBCU experience you're seeking, I believe you'll have better employment opportunities at Howard University; I hear lots of firms do OCI there and a number of Howard grads get decent corporate law jobs (if that's what you're planning to practice).

Sorry for the doom and gloom, Good luck. Hope this helped.

Wade LeBosh

Bronze

Post by Wade LeBosh » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:18 pm

PresMacAllen wrote: I'd imagine it might be pretty hard competing with an already over-saturated Florida market with several FL law schools
^^^Unless you already have a job lined up for after you graduate you might want to consider something else.

If FAMU didn't give you scholarship aid it would be a very bad idea to take out loans to attend there. You would have a difficult time finding a job that pays well enough to repay the loans you took out. You might want to reconsider attending this Fall if FAMU at full price is your only option. What are your other options? LSAT score? GPA?

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Wade LeBosh wrote: ^^^Unless you already have a job lined up for after you graduate you might want to consider something else.
This. Retake or don't go due to horrific job prospects.

EliHBCU

New

Post by EliHBCU » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:20 pm

I disagree. Prob because I graduated from FAMU. I love my school, and given the opportunity I would go again. I just graduated, have a job offer, was on law review and had a great law school experience.

These posters did bring up several points worth considering though. If you are still considering FAMU, please connect with me on linked-in and I'll give you my email and we can talk about it in a not so public forum.

Eli
Last edited by EliHBCU on Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

scaper

New

Post by scaper » Mon Jul 04, 2011 5:22 pm

Eli,

I will be starting this Fall at FAMU and was interested in hearing any advice that you may have that would be beneficial to me. I clicked on your link for linked-in but was unable to connect with you because it said that you were not in my network. Thanks.

EliHBCU

New

Post by EliHBCU » Wed Jul 20, 2011 8:44 pm

scaper wrote:Eli,

I will be starting this Fall at FAMU and was interested in hearing any advice that you may have that would be beneficial to me. I clicked on your link for linked-in but was unable to connect with you because it said that you were not in my network. Thanks.

I sent you a message on here with my email address because I would love to talk to you more about FAMU. Sorry, I have been trying to contact you for a while now. lol

scrowell

Bronze

Post by scrowell » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:41 am

Yeah I don't think FAMU would be too bad a choice either. I think it's like 7k/year in-state.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”