Any current Elon law students on?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
taxguy

Any current Elon law students on?

Postby taxguy » Sun May 22, 2011 9:42 am

If you are a current Elon law student, would you please talk a bit about your law school? What are the professors like? How good is the library? Do you have all the resources normally found in law libraries such as AM Jur, RIA TAX and BNA, Full West Law subscription etc. What is off campus housing like and what are the costs? What dining options are available? What are other kids like? Being such as small school, is there any campus life?

firemed

Re: Any current Elon law students on?

Postby firemed » Sun May 22, 2011 8:32 pm

Taxguy, I ain't at Elon, obviously... but I did have to look it up. Bad sign. It seems very similar to all the others your son got into- unranked, expensive, and probably a poor choice.

I have to say though, that compared to Florida International and the like it seems like it might be a better choice. I mean, rather a school no one has heard of than a school that is infamous.

Gideon Strumpet

Postby Gideon Strumpet » Sun May 22, 2011 9:46 pm

taxguy wrote:If you are a current Elon law student, would you please talk a bit about your law school? What are the professors like? How good is the library? Do you have all the resources normally found in law libraries such as AM Jur, RIA TAX and BNA, Full West Law subscription etc. What is off campus housing like and what are the costs? What dining options are available? What are other kids like? Being such as small school, is there any campus life?

I think you mean well, but . . . if someone asked me to make a list of every single thing that should have no bearing at all on your son's choice of a law school, this would make a real good start.

northwood

Postby northwood » Mon May 23, 2011 12:09 am

Taxguy, did your son get acccepted to Elon, or is he still researching schools?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon May 23, 2011 12:37 am

firemed wrote:Taxguy, I ain't at Elon, obviously... but I did have to look it up. Bad sign. It seems very similar to all the others your son got into- unranked, expensive, and probably a poor choice.

I have to say though, that compared to Florida International and the like it seems like it might be a better choice. I mean, rather a school no one has heard of than a school that is infamous.

FIU isn't infamous. FAMU is.

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon May 23, 2011 2:27 am

rad law wrote:
firemed wrote:Taxguy, I ain't at Elon, obviously... but I did have to look it up. Bad sign. It seems very similar to all the others your son got into- unranked, expensive, and probably a poor choice.

FIU isn't infamous. FAMU is.

You are correct, my bad. I will keep that in mind for the future.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Mon May 23, 2011 2:43 am

Compare these two:

Elon: --LinkRemoved--
Chicago: --LinkRemoved--

Elon reported no salary (or that the student was unemployed) data for 76% of its class. For those it did report--likely the top 24% of the class--all but 6% were making less than 65k.

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Mon May 23, 2011 8:27 am

My son has a few guaranteed jobs due to his networking skills. Thus, the job statistics and salaries are irrelevant. I guess there are no students with actual experience with Elon here,which is probably a bad sign.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon May 23, 2011 8:40 am

taxguy wrote:My son has a few guaranteed jobs due to his networking skills. Thus, the job statistics and salaries are irrelevant. I guess there are no students with actual experience with Elon here,which is probably a bad sign.

Didn't your son already decide on a program?

taxguy

Postby taxguy » Mon May 23, 2011 9:14 am

Not yet, he was accepted to one program but is taking the AAMPlE/TAP program elsewhere.

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon May 23, 2011 9:31 am

Chist you guys scared me w/ the FIU/FAMU comparisons. (For those browsing, Elon LS is in North Carolina, not Florida. I also obviously had to look it up.)

I was starting to think that my home state had yet another TTT law school to add to the like 6 that we already have.

crossarmant

Postby crossarmant » Mon May 23, 2011 9:34 am

An undergrad friend of my fiancee's just graduated from there Saturday, the only work she has set up so far is unpaid clerking at a family law solo practice. I mean, take that for what it's worth, but it mildly troubles me. I know she enjoyed her time at Elon and it's a gorgeous campus, but it's a good idea to always be wary of schools that have only been in existence for a couple years. And given that it's North Carolina, you have Duke, UNC, Wake as great schools to compete with and then a number of unranked, Tier 4 schools like Charlotte, NC Central, Campbell and then Elon. So, just take it with a grain of salt.
Last edited by crossarmant on Mon May 23, 2011 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

solotee

Postby solotee » Mon May 23, 2011 3:41 pm

I'm wondering why your son is not on here asking questions himself?

flcath

Postby flcath » Mon May 23, 2011 3:43 pm

solotee wrote:I'm wondering why your son is not on here asking questions himself?

My guess is that the OP's paying for it, and thus is the one stuck with making the investment inquiries.

Bud2003

Postby Bud2003 » Mon May 23, 2011 3:56 pm

crossarmant wrote:An undergrad friend of my fiancee's just graduated from there Saturday, the only work she has set up so far is unpaid clerking at a family law solo practice. I mean, take that for what it's worth, but it mildly troubles me. I know she enjoyed her time at Elon and it's a gorgeous campus, but it's a good idea to always be wary of schools that have only been in existence for a couple years. And given that it's North Carolina, you have Duke, UNC, Wake as great schools to compete with and then a number of unranked, Tier 4 schools like Charlotte, NC Central, Campbell and then Elon. So, just take it with a grain of salt.

Just a heads up to all interested...Elon Law is not on the same campus of Elon University. The law school is right smack in the middle of downtown Greensboro (about 25-30 min. away from the regular campus), and is surrounded by office buildings. Nice, clean area though.

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon May 23, 2011 4:35 pm

solotee wrote:I'm wondering why your son is not on here asking questions himself?

I suggest reading through taxguy's previous threads for an answer to this question (and many others). Also for the lulz.

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon May 23, 2011 6:07 pm

Magnolia wrote:

I suggest reading through taxguy's previous threads for an answer to this question (and many others). Also for the lulz.

+1

I kind of have a soft spot for taxguy.... but he is totally going about this the wrong way. By now I would've told my daughter that she was not going to go to some crappy T4 on my dime, and that if she wanted to go that badly she could pay for it herself.

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon May 23, 2011 6:43 pm

firemed wrote:
Magnolia wrote:

+1

I kind of have a soft spot for taxguy.... but he is totally going about this the wrong way. By now I would've told my daughter that she was not going to go to some crappy T4 on my dime, and that if she wanted to go that badly she could pay for it herself.

Apples and oranges; your daughter wouldn't have a Guaranteed Job™

firemed

Postby firemed » Mon May 23, 2011 7:03 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:Apples and oranges; your daughter wouldn't have a Guaranteed Job™

I think you were being amusing, and I did laugh... but just in case you were serious:

Guaranteed Jobs.... yeah, I believe that when he posts the PDF copy of the contract here. Because, from first hand experience, I know that jobs sometimes go away over the course of three years.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Mon May 23, 2011 7:05 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
firemed wrote:
Magnolia wrote:

+1

Apples and oranges; your daughter wouldn't have a Guaranteed Job™

Yours would!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oShTJ90fC34

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Mon May 23, 2011 7:09 pm

firemed wrote:I kind of have a soft spot for taxguy

Same. I was worried that he wouldn't come back, but I'm so so glad he did.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Tue May 24, 2011 10:19 pm

is Taxguy gone after his son finally starts school ?

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Tue May 24, 2011 10:40 pm

Sandro wrote:is Taxguy gone after his son finally starts school ?

You shut your blasphemous mouth.

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed May 25, 2011 1:11 am

Magnolia wrote:
Sandro wrote:is Taxguy gone after his son finally starts school ?

You shut your blasphemous mouth.

Nah.... transfer questions will be next year's theme.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Wed May 25, 2011 1:14 am

I wish taxguy would post in lounge threads regularly. His opinion on the Brazilian issue would have been quite valuable.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”