Is Law School easier or harder than the LSAT's?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
MP24

Re: Is Law School easier or harder than the LSAT's?

Postby MP24 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:27 am

Were the SATs anything like college?

Magnolia

Postby Magnolia » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:02 pm

Mattalones wrote:
Sean1269 wrote:Law school is not hard because the substance is difficult, it is hard because it's extremely competitive. If you don't care about your rank law school I imagine is quite easy.

Caring or not caring about rank isn't why at all; a very strange assumption. I have above median grades at a T20 school and, based on what I hear from my friends at TT, TTT, or TTTT schools, it seems to me like the lower ranked schools work you much harder. They want to prove themselves locally and only the top 5% or so get biglaw grades. If they report to me working a good deal more than people here and the biglaw grades are 5% there v.s. about 35% here, then it seems much more competitive both anecdotally and numerically.

I don't think he was saying that law school is easy if you don't care about your school's rank/go to a low ranked school. He's saying that law school is easy if you don't give a shit about ending up at the bottom of your class.

deathviaboredom

Postby deathviaboredom » Thu Apr 14, 2011 12:03 pm

lol
Last edited by deathviaboredom on Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:27 am

I'm sure all the hard work and dedication I had studying for the LSAT will help me do better than 95% of my classmates, obviously.

glewz

Postby glewz » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:40 am

rad law wrote:
johnco wrote:I am studing for the LSAT's in June and was wondering, is actual Law School going to be harder?

I think both will be challenging for you.

Lol radlaw you douchebag :lol:

Mattalones

Postby Mattalones » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:12 pm

Magnolia wrote:
Mattalones wrote:
Sean1269 wrote:Law school is not hard because the substance is difficult, it is hard because it's extremely competitive. If you don't care about your rank law school I imagine is quite easy.

Caring or not caring about rank isn't why at all; a very strange assumption. I have above median grades at a T20 school and, based on what I hear from my friends at TT, TTT, or TTTT schools, it seems to me like the lower ranked schools work you much harder. They want to prove themselves locally and only the top 5% or so get biglaw grades. If they report to me working a good deal more than people here and the biglaw grades are 5% there v.s. about 35% here, then it seems much more competitive both anecdotally and numerically.

I don't think he was saying that law school is easy if you don't care about your school's rank/go to a low ranked school. He's saying that law school is easy if you don't give a shit about ending up at the bottom of your class.

Whatever you think is right for you. I'm just letting you know how it was for me at a T20 school, and I did pretty well last semester. Here was my 1st semester of 1L: Do all of the reading, take notes in an organized outline as you go, condense it, change it to useful chunks suitable for each class like flashcards or something, review them a lot during reading period (this is the only real stressful time in law school for me), take practice test, review them, repeat, take a real test, have a drink to celebrate finishing that test, and then repeat for each final. The first three of these things are all I did outside of class for almost the whole semester. ... Not as hard as the LSAT for me - but that's just me.

alumniguy

Postby alumniguy » Fri Apr 15, 2011 4:36 pm

Actually, caring about rank is the ONLY reason why law school is hard.

If you go to a decent law school (T20s/30s), then you are clearly intelligent enough to pass law school exams. In fact, I knew of maybe 2 people who failed 1L classes (and let me tell you, no one was that surprised when word got out that "so and so" had to re-take property or torts as a 2L). The material is generally NOT difficult. It simply involves doing the readings as assigned and reviewing them. The reason why it could be considered difficult is that you are learning a lot of information in short amounts of time. But if your goal is to graduate, you can basically coast through law school (and back in the boom years, I know several T14 students that did just that and still ended up with great jobs).

Passing the bar exam, that is a different beast. It is far more stressful than the LSAT and involves actually knowing the law.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”