Hastings Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Borhas

Platinum

Re: Hastings

Post by Borhas » Fri Apr 22, 2011 12:00 am

damn, Rad, now I feel bad for taking four of those cliff bars they gave away at brunch :lol:
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vb007

New

Post by vb007 » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:06 pm

i got paid jobs for both my 1L and 2L years at Hastings. opportunities are there if you look hard enough.

MrMcNulty

New

Post by MrMcNulty » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:58 pm

Only top 25% at Hastings, externed in federal court in LA, hope I can get a job for 2L summer.

Bitey

New

Post by Bitey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:43 pm

1. School is a dump. It is located in probably the worst part of San Francisco (the always lovely Tenderloin) and in a ghetto looking building. This might be part of the reason they can't keep important staff, as the president bailed on the school for Notre Dame right in the middle of a funding drive.

2. UC Hastings tuition has increased 400% in 10 years (that's 3 and 1/3 classes), and everything else has apparently proportionally declined. 50k OOS tution. In-state is not far behind now they are going private. Classes are huge (more lemmings, more government loans) because the financial problems of the school. Cost of Living is insane for someone living on a fixed student loan income. A close second to NYC.

3. It has been consistently failing in the rankings every year.

4. The Bay Area's legal market is in the dumps, and hastings has to compete with about 10 law schools in the bay. Stanford and Cal are notably better.

5. Worked with Hastings students, all of them had the same complaint about the competitiveness of the school.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:34 pm

Bitey wrote:1. School is a dump. It is located in probably the worst part of San Francisco (the always lovely Tenderloin) and in a ghetto looking building. This might be part of the reason they can't keep important staff, as the president bailed on the school for Notre Dame right in the middle of a funding drive.
The buildings aren't ghetto, have you even been inside?
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:36 pm

Borhas wrote:
Bitey wrote:1. School is a dump. It is located in probably the worst part of San Francisco (the always lovely Tenderloin) and in a ghetto looking building. This might be part of the reason they can't keep important staff, as the president bailed on the school for Notre Dame right in the middle of a funding drive.
And it isn't even in that bad a part of the Tenderloin.

Bitey

New

Post by Bitey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:40 pm

Borhas wrote:
They are ghetto, I was shown around. It's not really even a campus, merely two dreary looking office buildings. Kind of reminds me of those Kaplan buildings you see near the highway.
Last edited by Bitey on Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:41 pm

Bitey wrote:It is located in probably the worst part of San Francisco
Hunters Point is the worst part of San Francisco. Hastings' location isn't that freaking bad. Why is everyone always complaining about it?

Bitey

New

Post by Bitey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:42 pm

chimp wrote:
Hunters Point is the worst part of San Francisco. Hastings' location isn't that freaking bad. Why is everyone always complaining about it?
Across the street are all the homeless non-profits (GAAP, St. Anthony's, etc) that serve the homeless folks of SF. I kinda like homeless people, but I could see being really afraid if you were a woman. Saw multiple people shooting up around the corner. If I am going to see that stuff, at least the cost of living should be cheap.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bilbobaggins

Silver

Post by bilbobaggins » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:45 pm

chimp wrote:
While this is true, no one counts Hunter's Point because they never see it. The Tenderloin is the runner up.

Bitey

New

Post by Bitey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:50 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
chimp wrote:
While this is true, no one counts Hunter's Point because they never see it. The Tenderloin is the runner up.
It's kinda hard to lose to a toxic waste site. The tenderloin, although it has a cool history and a few charms, is a pretty desolate, ghetto area.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:51 pm

Bitey wrote:
Borhas wrote:
They are ghetto, I was shown around. It's not really even a campus, merely two dreary looking office buildings. Kind of reminds me of those Kaplan buildings you see near the highway.
You don't know what the word "ghetto" means, sucks for you

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:51 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:
chimp wrote:
True, but Hastings is technically in the Civic Center neighborhood, with the Tenderloin lying directly to the north.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:53 pm

chimp wrote:
The "worst" part of San Francisco, is still pretty damn cool (referring to TL, not Hunter's Point, never been there)

It's the only place with affordable housing, and delicious, affordable food, and amazing public transit connections

Lastly, it's a fucking professional school, not a resort. Seems like some people can't be weened off the undergrad tit.

Platinum

Post by 071816 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:54 pm

From the way people describe Hastings I would expect it to look something like this:

Bitey

New

Post by Bitey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:59 pm

Borhas wrote:
Bitey wrote:
Borhas wrote:
You don't know what the word "ghetto" means, sucks for you
Do you go to Hastings, mate? Kinda weird to take up building aesthetics rather than the hard data about the school's wild tuition figures and lack of job opportunities.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:09 pm

don't strain your brain too hard brother, all you had to do was read the thread to figure that out

as for your post, well, it reeks of bullshit. You should work on keeping your obvious BS points at the bottom of a bulleted list so you aren't so quickly discredited.

As for employment, yeah not great, but thanks for pointing out that Berkeley and Stanford do better, great insight! Your wisdom could be very useful for all those people who just can't decide whether to attend Stanford or Berkeley instead of Hastings. :roll:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:14 pm

The outrageous tuition is a major problem with Hastings. As a soon to be attending 1L the 50K out-of-state tuition is insane. This is especially insane considering only 4-5 years ago it was ~30K (and in-state was ~20K.)

I will say that they are extremely generous with need-based aid. Need-based aid and tuition waivers should save me ~35K over 3 years. This is not counting the combined 20K saved from being an in-state resident for 2L/3L.)

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:16 pm

Borhas wrote:As for employment, yeah not great, but thanks for pointing out that Berkeley and Stanford do better, great insight! Your wisdom could be very useful for all those people who just can't decide whether to attend Stanford or Berkeley instead of Hastings. :roll:
lol :)

Bitey

New

Post by Bitey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:17 pm

Borhas wrote:don't strain your brain too hard brother, all you had to do was read the thread to figure that out

as for your post, well, it reeks of bullshit. You should work on keeping your obvious BS points at the bottom of a bulleted list so you aren't so quickly discredited.

As for employment, yeah not great, but thanks for pointing out that Berkeley and Stanford do better, great insight! Your wisdom could be very useful for all those people who just can't decide whether to attend Stanford or Berkeley instead of Hastings. :roll:
My "wisdom" is good for people that don't want to ruin their careers and lives going to Hastings. If you want the bay area, Cal and Stanford are the only schools worth anything. Score lower on the LSAT? Can't make it into Cal? Don't go to law school, the market is completely saturated. Start a business or get the credentials to go into IT.

Enjoy that six figure debt, mate. The fact you think IBR is even going to exist several years down the line shows what a lemming you really are. Even if IBR is still around, good look finding that government or non-profit job and working it ten years (these jobs are gone). If you do the 25 year option, IBR is designed to fuck you. Many people have IBR payments which are lower than the accumulated interest. This means your loan forgiveness will be sizable. Any amount forgiven will result in taxable income. If you have $100,000 forgiven, you will now owe the IRS $35,000 in taxes.(200,000 turns into 70k) The only thing worse than having student loan debt is having tax debt. The IRS will get their money

Oh, and when you finally realize the situation you are in and become cynical, take look at --LinkRemoved--.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:27 pm

Bitey wrote:
Borhas wrote:don't strain your brain too hard brother, all you had to do was read the thread to figure that out

My "wisdom" is good for people that don't want to ruin their careers and lives going to Hastings. If you want the bay area, Cal and Stanford are the only schools worth anything. Score lower on the LSAT? Can't make it into Cal? Don't go to law school, the market is completely saturated. Start a business or gets the credentials to go into IT.

Enjoy that six figure debt, mate. The fact you think IBR is even going to exist several years down the line shows what a lemming you really are.

Oh, and when you finally realize the situation you are in and become cynical, take look at --LinkRemoved--.
You're completely diluted.

1) Not everything is about money. People pay a premium to live in California compared to Nebraska, Alabama, etc... California has intangible benefits that cannot be measured by simply looking at money. This is about YOUR LIFE -- not solely about your bank account. A cost-benefit analysis should always take into account these hard to quantify factors before saying YOU MUST DO THIS!!! But, what do I know: I only have a B.A. in economics :roll:

2) People at Hastings and similar schools do find jobs. It's hard to find BigLaw but the poster obviously doesn't want that. If you're in the bottom 25% of your class you may be in trouble. Otherwise, Hastings provides a chance at public interest. To use the (mathematical fallacy) logic of TLS: You're automatically assumed to be 50% in your class. In this case, the poster will find a public interest job and use IBR.

3) jdunderground shows how cynical and diluted your analysis is. It's like someone using the Hoover Institute to try to argue why the Gold Standard should come back into existence...

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:32 pm

You want to make general don't go to law school advice, that's fair game. Have at it. But don't make shit up along the way.

But, there are still a couple issues...
1. lol at your to "Start a business" or go into "IT" :lol: thanks for the words of wisdom, partner...

2. Re: IBR disappearing. This ignores in inherent idiocy in claiming that 10 year IBR will just not be around anymore while at the same time claiming that there aren't any jobs that would even allow people to use it. It's like you're saying the government can't afford too because it's such a good deal and then saying it's an awful deal because those jobs don't exist to begin with. Second, IBR is not going away. The Middle Class will defend education subsidies to the death.
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Bitey

New

Post by Bitey » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:32 pm

kapital98 wrote:
Bitey wrote:

My "wisdom" is good for people that don't want to ruin their careers and lives going to Hastings. If you want the bay area, Cal and Stanford are the only schools worth anything. Score lower on the LSAT? Can't make it into Cal? Don't go to law school, the market is completely saturated. Start a business or gets the credentials to go into IT.

Enjoy that six figure debt, mate. The fact you think IBR is even going to exist several years down the line shows what a lemming you really are.

You're completely diluted.

1) Not everything is about money. People pay a premium to live in California compared to Nebraska, Alabama, etc... California has intangible benefits that cannot be measured by simply looking at money. This is about YOUR LIFE -- not solely about your bank account. A cost-benefit analysis should always take into account these hard to quantify factors before saying YOU MUST DO THIS!!! But, what do I know: I only have a B.A. in economics :roll:

2) People at Hastings and similar schools do find jobs. It's hard to find BigLaw but the poster obviously doesn't want that. If you're in the bottom 25% of your class you may be in trouble. Otherwise, Hastings provides a chance at public interest. To use the (mathematical fallacy) logic of TLS: You're automatically assumed to be 50% in your class. In this case, the poster will find a public interest job and use IBR.

3) jdunderground shows how cynical and diluted your analysis is. It's like someone using the Hoover Institute to try to argue why the Gold Standard should come back into existence...
Wrong, data says the opposite:

--LinkRemoved--

The school only has data for 35 percent of law students. The rest could be on doc review, unemployed or working at taco bell. Think about that, potentially 65 percent of graduates aren't working law jobs. For students that 150k+ in debt, that has to be pretty scary.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:39 pm

Bitey wrote:
Wrong, data says the opposite:

--LinkRemoved--

The school only has data for 35 percent of law students. The rest could be on doc review, unemployed or working at taco bell. Think about that, potentially 65 percent of graduates aren't working law jobs. For students that 150k+ in debt, that has to be pretty scary.
you are misrepresenting the data, go to the "summary charts" part of LST

At 9 months 66% full time, 18% part time, about 15% unemployed... 70% Bar Required 12% JD Preferred, and around 15% w/ no JD specific job

--LinkRemoved--

class of 2010 data
--LinkRemoved--
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

kapital98

Silver

Post by kapital98 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:48 pm

Bitey wrote: Wrong, data says the opposite:

--LinkRemoved--

This is a massive flame. 11% are unemployed after graduation. The rest ARE employed but did not report their income or job. You can't say that they work at Taco Bell anymore than you can say they work in Biglaw. :roll: To outweigh your pessimism i'll make the (faulty) claim that the 50% who did not report their job all ended up making $170K each year but just didn't have the time to report it.

However, the biggest problem with your data is it simply doesn't exist. Law School Transparency only has 2 years of data available and both of them are during a recession. This essentially means the data is worthless. You can't even run a time-series linear regression with the data because it only has 2 periods. Minitab, SPSS, Excel will all come back with an "ERROR" after trying to run a regression. LST provides insights into the current labor market but CANNOT be used to predict future labor market conditions. Even assuming a static model, with no recession and no "cobweb" lags, the data is still useless for predicting the labor market in 2-3 years.

I'm not responding to you again. Please leave the thread so we can get back to the issue at point -- current student's perception of Hastings.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”