Yale 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
tinman

Yale 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls Taking Questions

Postby tinman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:38 am

It's getting close to decision time and ASW. I'm happy to answer any question (when I have the time), and I hope other Yale students will join me.

I'm at 2L at YLS. Interested in public law.

TripleCrown

Re: Yale 1Ls/2Ls/3Ls Taking Questions

Postby TripleCrown » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:13 am

How would you characterize the atmosphere at Yale?

tinman

Postby tinman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:11 pm

TripleCrown wrote:How would you characterize the atmosphere at Yale?

hmmm. I think it completely depends upon the subgroup. A lot of people here are involved with clinics (you can basically spend the whole time here working on actually cases if you want). I think they are generally chiller. Most of their stress comes from client crises (i.e., working their client will be deporting, early morning meetings with opposing counsel, etc).

People who simply want to work at a firm after graduation are the most chill. It's really easy to get a firm job, and really easy to maintain decent grades (mixture of Hs and Ps) after getting one.

The people who are the most stressed/competitive are people looking to clerk on the Courts of Appeals. They are generally the type who are on the Yale Law Journal.

I should say that this is the perspective of a 2L. My perspective of YLS was much different last year. I found first semester extremely fun and relaxing. I went out a ton and really got to know my classmates. First semester at Yale is like a whole semester of summer camp.

So Yale can be really chill and for many people it is. If you want to clerk for a feeder judge (one who feeds into the Supreme Court), however, Yale will be stressful. But then a person with such goals would be really stressed anyway. Definitely your chances are higher getting these clerkships from Yale than from anywhere else.

Danteshek

Postby Danteshek » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:15 pm

Judge Walker (2nd Cir.) told me that he had been asked to revamp the writing program at YLS. How is that progressing?

tinman

Postby tinman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:21 pm

Danteshek wrote:Judge Walker (2nd Cir.) told me that he had been asked to revamp the writing program at YLS. How is that progressing?

I personally missed this as I'm a 2L, but I've heard it's been a valuable addition to the first-year writing program. I can say, however, that Yale's real strength is that it has tons of writing opportunities outside of the standard first-writing requirement. We have two required papers, where you work closely with faculty. We have tons of clinical offerings were you can get feedback on your writing in actual cases. And we have lots of advanced writing courses.

Brock2010

Postby Brock2010 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:22 pm

so anyone at yale can get a biglaw job?

tinman

Postby tinman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:31 pm

Brock2010 wrote:so anyone at yale can get a biglaw job?

Yes, I think that is basically correct. Not everyone does. I only know one friend who didn't get a big law job who sort of wanted one, and he was interviewing at V3 firms after OCI. He didn't try for additional firms after the OCI firms didn't work out, but that was his choice. I'm sure he could have found something.

I had another friend who struck out at OCI and it took him a while to find something, but he found an awesome big law job in a secondary market (actually the kind of firm that makes me jealous though I had offers in the primary markets). But it definitely was stressful for him for a few months until he found this.

But my impression is that the vast, vast majority of people who want them get offers from OCI. A lot of these people getting big law jobs have basically the worst grades possible (3-4 Ps and no Hs). In fact, I know some of the people with the worst grades were getting V10 offers.

Richie Tenenbaum

Postby Richie Tenenbaum » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:38 pm

Any idea how difficult it is to transfer to Yale? Any info on class rank coming from UT/UCLA/Vandy (or just in general), the importance of softs, etc would be greatly appreciated.

tinman

Postby tinman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:42 pm

Richie Tenenbaum wrote:Any idea how difficult it is to transfer to Yale? Any info on class rank coming from UT/UCLA/Vandy (or just in general), the importance of softs, etc would be greatly appreciated.

I think in general people who transfer are at the very top of their 1L classes. And I get the impression that this fact is by far the most important factor in their admission.

texan_snowman

Postby texan_snowman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:35 pm

Anything you've learned since starting at YLS that would be useful to someone making the Yale-Stanford decision? Your previous posts from when you were deciding were great, wondering how you see that in hindsight.

Fresh

Postby Fresh » Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:42 pm

So, how's New Haven?

lawhon

Postby lawhon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:17 pm

How feasible is going to NYC on a weekend? Is it something people commonly do?

Do you recommend bringing a car or not?

What about housing for 1L's? Any area or building you recommend/ any area to avoid?

Thanks for your help!

tinman

Postby tinman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:57 pm

lawhon wrote:How feasible is going to NYC on a weekend? Is it something people commonly do?

Do you recommend bringing a car or not?

What about housing for 1L's? Any area or building you recommend/ any area to avoid?

Thanks for your help!

It's very easy to go to NYC on the weekend. The train (MetroNorth) is ~2 hours. In fact, there are some late trains to the city, so it's even easy to go in for a night. I've done this a few times this semester, meeting friends for dinner during the week. I have no trouble studying on trains, in fact I study better without things like TLS to distract me, so the main barrier to doing this (for me and most people) is that we often have things going on in New Haven that we don't want to miss. For example, this coming weekend is prom. The weekend after that is ASW, etc, etc.

A car is nice, especially for shopping, but not necessary. Zipcars are available.

About a third of the law school and half of the med school lives in the Towers: http://www.newhaventowers.com/ I like the Towers because they are close to the bars downtown, they often have after parties after bar review, and if you are out somewhere, you can usually find a group to walk back to the Towers with. I also think it's comparatively safe to walk home late at night to the Towers from either downtown bars or the law schools. I think it's much less safe to walk home to East Rock, for example, and people are dispersed throughout East Rock.

On the other hand, I think there are awesome deals to be had in East Rock and elsewhere. So it totally depends on your preferences. If you married, have a dog, etc. etc. I think other places make more sense than the Towers.

tinman

Postby tinman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:02 pm

Fresh wrote:So, how's New Haven?

Small. Not as fun as Cambridge. It would be nice to have a large student population outside the law school.

For better and for worse, the smallness of New Haven makes the class quite cohesive. Some people live in NYC and commute to school. I considered doing this for 3L. It's not a bad option and totally doable.

The food in New Haven is actually quite good. You can get amazing lunch boxes at Sushi on Chapel for $8 (including soup, salad, tea, half a roll, five pieces of sashimi and tempura). That's my new favorite place. Also, ton of good Thai food, and a lot of other fun restaurants.

Brock2010

Postby Brock2010 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:05 pm

tinman wrote:

Small. Not as fun as Cambridge. It would be nice to have a large student population outside the law school.

For better and for worse, the smallness of New Haven makes the class quite cohesive. Some people live in NYC and commute to school. I considered doing this for 3L. It's not a bad option and totally doable.

The food in New Haven is actually quite good. You can get amazing lunch boxes at Sushi on Chapel for $8 (including soup, salad, tea, half a roll, five pieces of sashimi and tempura). That's my new favorite place. Also, ton of good Thai food, and a lot of other fun restaurants.

do transfers get the same financial aid packages? what grades would you need from a t-14 to get in as a transfer?

tinman

Postby tinman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:10 pm

texan_snowman wrote:Anything you've learned since starting at YLS that would be useful to someone making the Yale-Stanford decision? Your previous posts from when you were deciding were great, wondering how you see that in hindsight.

Thanks. Glad my previous posts are somewhat helpful. They are both great schools, so you really can't go wrong. From either you'll have many many great careers open to you. And, after all, you can only do one career (at a time).

I've learned that it's even more important to go to Yale if you are interested in law teaching than I originally thought.

I think the classes offered are much less important than I thought. Law school goes by quickly, and anywhere you go you will graduate not having had the chance to take a ton of classes you wanted to or should have. That being said, I came into law school interested in IP, but I've since become more interested in public law. I think that's because my most inspiring professors were public law professors. That being said, I totally could have make IP work here, and I can think of some excellent YLS students positioning themselves for teaching jobs and other careers in IP.

One advantage of SLS is that you can take more classes than at HLS or YLS because of the quarter system. I think this is both a blessing and a curse, but I think it probably prepares you better for big law.

tinman

Postby tinman » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:13 pm

Brock2010 wrote:
tinman wrote:

do transfers get the same financial aid packages? what grades would you need from a t-14 to get in as a transfer?

Yes, I'm sure they get the same financial aid packages. But they probably have less leverage to negotiate, meaning they will likely get the amount bases on Yale's official policies. It's definitely possible to negotiate aid, especially when making the decision as a 0L.

I would definitely look in the transfer threads, but I think most transfers have perfect or near perfect grades as 1Ls. My transfer friends talk about being "number 1 at X school." Maybe I hang out with the more pompous transfers, but this seems to be the norm.

Brock2010

Postby Brock2010 » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:15 pm

tinman wrote:
Brock2010 wrote:
tinman wrote:

Yes, I'm sure they get the same financial aid packages. But they probably have less leverage to negotiate, meaning they will likely get the amount bases on Yale's official policies. It's definitely possible to negotiate aid, especially when making the decision as a 0L.

I would definitely look in the transfer threads, but I think most transfers have perfect or near perfect grades as 1Ls. My transfer friends talk about being "number 1 at X school." Maybe I hang out with the more pompous transfers, but this seems to be the norm.

damn really? was he at a t-14? or even a t-10?

tinman

Postby tinman » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:14 am

Brock2010 wrote:
damn really? was he at a t-14? or even a t-10?

Yes, he was at a t-10. But #1 may just mean all As. Maybe 5% of the class had all As and were tied for 1. I don't know the details exactly, but it seems like most transfers to YHS have near perfect grades. Most of the transfers come from T14s it seems.

instantwonton

Postby instantwonton » Mon Apr 25, 2011 9:36 pm

In some of the guidebooks that I was reading about law schools, they indicated that YLS professors were hard to approach/reach outside of class. Have you found this to be true at all? Do you find that you are able to reach your professors outside of class? If you want to talk to them about something, are they willing to put in one-on-one time at all in your experience?

kalessebo

Postby kalessebo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 1:18 am

instantwonton wrote:In some of the guidebooks that I was reading about law schools, they indicated that YLS professors were hard to approach/reach outside of class. Have you found this to be true at all? Do you find that you are able to reach your professors outside of class? If you want to talk to them about something, are they willing to put in one-on-one time at all in your experience?

In my experience (I'm a 2L), this is almost entirely false. I can't say entirely, since there are always exceptions, but I've found the vast majority of my professors to be about as welcoming as you could expect anyone to be. A couple of observations (in decreasing order of relevance):

1. Every single prof I've taken has had office hours for at least a couple of hours a week, and every single one has been open to meeting at other times if that's what you want/need to do.
2. I've also had several offer to talk by phone over the weekend when there was an important deadline coming up (paper or clinic filing due date, for example).
3. I often drop in on a professor unannounced if I have a pressing issue and happen to be in that part of the building, and I've never felt unwelcome.
4. I've had several profs who hold weekly lunches with students.
5. My small group professor literally looked sad that *more* people didn't go to his office hours.

A lot of office hours time revolves around talking about paper topics (since we have to write two big papers to graduate). If you have an idea, profs are usually itching to help. If it's their area of expertise, I've found that most will offer to supervise without you even having to ask. If not, they're really helpful in finding someone who can help. My paper supervisors make time outside of normal office hours so we can chat for as long as we need to uninterrupted, and I know others hold group workshops where several students writing a paper with a particular prof will get together with that prof to talk about/critique each other's papers.

But it's not just about papers. My professors have generally been very open to talking about class material, giving professional advice, or chatting about nothing. (One of my first semester profs asked specifically that we come by to talk about "anything but law school," since he wanted to get to know us all better.)

Then there's the (what seem like) monthly soirees at the Chua/Rubenfeld house, but I suppose that's for another post.

instantwonton

Postby instantwonton » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:58 pm

Thanks so much! Very helpful!

So what's the deal with these soirees? LOL :lol:

goose2010

Postby goose2010 » Fri May 06, 2011 11:57 pm

Hope I'm not hijacking this thread but I had some questions for someone that is familiar with New Haven and thought TLS would be a good place to do that. I'm moving to New Haven at the end of this month for a job (putting the law school thing on hold). It's a temporary job (through September, possibly through November) and am trying to find a place to live. I want something as cheap as possible (under 700 would be ideal) and, most importantly, in a safe neighborhood. The apartment can be small and doesn't have to be extremely nice. I just want to be sure I'm in a safe neighborhood. Any suggestions on finding short-term leases/housing in safe places for cheap? Any places to avoid? From what I've gathered after talking to some people who are familiar with New Haven, I should avoid Fair Haven, The Hill, Newhallville, and Dixwell? And that East Rock, Downtown, and Wooster Square are supposed to be nice?

Thanks for your help.

doublefocus4

Postby doublefocus4 » Sat May 07, 2011 5:33 am

Thanks. Much appreciated.

roranoa

Postby roranoa » Sat May 07, 2011 7:12 am

Have you met Amy Chua? (what's she like?)

Real question, do you feel that your classmates are truly exceptional intellectually or are there some people you consider rather surprising (because their are not that smart)to see at YLS?

Do people at YLS all come in with super interesting experiences? Or are the majority of the people pretty much the same in most aspects? (Just want to know your impression of things)

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”