Question for Current/former University of Miami Law Students Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
PeterD2189

New

Question for Current/former University of Miami Law Students

Post by PeterD2189 » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:45 pm

1.) How is off campus living? especially for someone that is coming from out-of-state (New York) or would it better to dorm.
2.) Campus Life: good? bad? overrated?
3.) I've been studying alot for LSAT, if i score a 160-163 (first time test taker, June 6th is the LSAT), do you think i will get admitted for the Fall? (even though its cutting close to the 7/31 deadline)
4.) Florida State/ University Of Florida look like (on paper) better schools, why did you choose Miami?
5.) Job Prospects after graduation.

Please any info will be good. thanks for your time.

Intraining

Bronze

Re: Question for Current/former University of Miami Law Students

Post by Intraining » Tue May 17, 2011 9:56 pm

Bump

KafkaLover

New

Re: Question for Current/former University of Miami Law Students

Post by KafkaLover » Thu May 19, 2011 9:48 pm

PeterD2189 wrote:1.) How is off campus living? especially for someone that is coming from out-of-state (New York) or would it better to dorm.
2.) Campus Life: good? bad? overrated?
3.) I've been studying alot for LSAT, if i score a 160-163 (first time test taker, June 6th is the LSAT), do you think i will get admitted for the Fall? (even though its cutting close to the 7/31 deadline)
4.) Florida State/ University Of Florida look like (on paper) better schools, why did you choose Miami?
5.) Job Prospects after graduation.

Please any info will be good. thanks for your time.
1) I could be wrong, but I'm pretty confident that there isn't any on-campus housing available to law students. Off campus living is really your only option. Fortunately, there are several nice apartment buildings reasonably close to the school and, if you're willing to commute, all around the Miami area. It may be more expensive than you're used to paying in your home state. By the way, I think having a car is 100% necessary. I knew a few students who didn't have one and were miserable, because public transportation here is spotty and unreliable, and Miami is very spread out geographically.

2) There are definitely campus and school-sponsored activities, but I think most students generally embraced the Miami nightlife more than they participated in UM events (the Grove, South Beach, Brickell). Some people were really into partying and treated law school like an extension of college, but I think most people studied a lot more than they partied.

3) I think it would be very tough. Certainly any scholarship money would have been distributed already.

4) I mainly attended Miami because my family lives here, as does my significant other. I also love the city. I'm looking to transfer now though.

5) The job prospects are obviously going to be worse than a better ranked school. Because I'm only a 1L (well, 2L now I guess) I can't really say specifically about prospects after graduation. I will say that everyone I know has some kind of summer employment though, which is encouraging.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”