Virginia Law Review Articles Editor Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
vamedic03

Re: Virginia Law Review Articles Editor Taking Questions

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:53 pm

Did you go to any feb club parties this year?

Brock2010

Postby Brock2010 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:53 pm

Va L Rev Stud wrote:
sundance95 wrote:
Va L Rev Stud wrote:
koalatriste wrote:how do you evaluate the writing competition? obviously, the bluebooking portion is pretty objective, but how do you evaluate/score the actual writing portion?

I'm sorry, but I can't answer many questions relating to the journal tryout process.

then gtfo

Anyone who has to even worry about writing on probably shouldn't be in this thread.

ok well how many hours did you put into 1l?

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:54 pm

DoctorGloom wrote:Wow, Mr. Stud. Trying to show off much?

I go to UVA and you represent the reason why this school is perceived as being one of the douchiest schools. To anyone reading this thread, don't let this guy turn you off from UVA. People here are actually pretty cool. We actually have fun, like playing softball and drinking beer.

What a jerk.

This guy lurked for almost a year, and this thread finally pushed him over the edge. That should tell you something.

Va L Rev Stud

Postby Va L Rev Stud » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:58 pm

DoctorGloom wrote:Wow, Mr. Stud. Trying to show off much?

I go to UVA and you represent the reason why this school is perceived as being one of the douchiest schools. To anyone reading this thread, don't let this guy turn you off from UVA. People here are actually pretty cool. We actually have fun, like playing softball and drinking beer.

What a jerk.

I thought it was because we're inveterate racists, brah. That's cool and all, I'm sure your boozing and softball dominance have opened numerous doors for you.

Va L Rev Stud

Postby Va L Rev Stud » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:05 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Did you go to any feb club parties this year?

No, it takes an enormous amount of discipline to be a Managing Board member.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:07 pm

25 of the 26 people who applied for the Managing Board were accepted. I think it takes a pulse to be a Managing Board member.

jcunni5

Postby jcunni5 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:07 pm

how much much more action do you get as a result of being able to say you're on LR

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:08 pm

showNprove wrote:25 of the 26 people who applied for the Managing Board were accepted. I think it takes a pulse to be a Managing Board member.

:D :D :D

Va L Rev Stud

Postby Va L Rev Stud » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:11 pm

Brock2010 wrote:ok well how many hours did you put into 1l?

I think I studied a good amount, but it was nothing too extraordinary. I always fought my study partner about having to do practice exams. The moral of the story: If you've got preternatural intellectual ability, then practice exams aren't so important.

Va L Rev Stud

Postby Va L Rev Stud » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:12 pm

showNprove wrote:25 of the 26 people who applied for the Managing Board were accepted. I think it takes a pulse to be a Managing Board member.

Are you on Managing Board?

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:13 pm

Va L Rev Stud wrote:

No.

Brock2010

Postby Brock2010 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:15 pm

Va L Rev Stud wrote:

I think I studied a good amount, but it was nothing too extraordinary. I always fought my study partner about having to do practice exams. The moral of the story: If you've got preternatural intellectual ability, then practice exams aren't so important.

what did you get on your LSAT?

Va L Rev Stud

Postby Va L Rev Stud » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:18 pm

Brock2010 wrote:
Va L Rev Stud wrote:

Nothing special. So I take back everything I said, I guess. No preternatural intellectual ability here, friend.

Va L Rev Stud

Postby Va L Rev Stud » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:18 pm

showNprove wrote:
Va L Rev Stud wrote:

No.

I don't like that you edited your response to appear less friendly.

showNprove

Postby showNprove » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:20 pm

Va L Rev Stud wrote:
showNprove wrote:
Va L Rev Stud wrote:

No.

I don't like that you edited your response to appear less friendly.

I actually edited it to appear less lame, lol.

Which Circuit Court do you expect to be clerking for? And is that why you decided to take on twice as much work next year as a member of the Managing Board? And does anyone apply for the Managing Board for any other reason?

battle_tested

Postby battle_tested » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:27 pm

Any general advice for future UVa 1L's? Preferably in regards to studying/grades?

Brock2010

Postby Brock2010 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:28 pm

Va L Rev Stud wrote:
Brock2010 wrote:
Va L Rev Stud wrote:

Nothing special. So I take back everything I said, I guess. No preternatural intellectual ability here, friend.

o ok thanks bro

DoctorGloom

Postby DoctorGloom » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:29 pm

I thought it was because we're inveterate racists, brah. That's cool and all, I'm sure your boozing and softball dominance have opened numerous doors for you.

I assume you are referring to the Feb Club pictures that made their way to ATL. That topic has already been beaten to death and I won't resurrect it here. But thanks for trying to reignite the fire.

Contrary to your condescending attitude towards activities outside Law Review, I think employers like to see people have a life outside of academics. Believe it or not, personality matters (something you clearly lack) to employers making hiring decisions. And yes, I have a large law firm job lined up.

Va L Rev Stud

Postby Va L Rev Stud » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:30 pm

jcunni5 wrote:how much much more action do you get as a result of being able to say you're on LR

I only date women of color, so my experience might be atypical.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:32 pm

Va L Rev Stud wrote:
jcunni5 wrote:how much much more action do you get as a result of being able to say you're on LR

I only date women of color, so my experience might be atypical.

oh god please expand upon this

Va L Rev Stud

Postby Va L Rev Stud » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:37 pm

showNprove wrote:I actually edited it to appear less lame, lol.

Which Circuit Court do you expect to be clerking for? And is that why you decided to take on twice as much work next year as a member of the Managing Board? And does anyone apply for the Managing Board for any other reason?

I think I'll probably end up on the 4th, 5th, or 11th. That's definitely part of the reason I decided to do MB; as I mentioned above, I also have some academic aspirations. To be honest, though, prestige-whoring probably predominated. I don't know anyone who is doing it for kicks or anything like that. I will say that some folks definitely enjoy legal scholarship more than others.

Va L Rev Stud

Postby Va L Rev Stud » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:39 pm

DoctorGloom wrote:

I assume you are referring to the Feb Club pictures that made their way to ATL. That topic has already been beaten to death and I won't resurrect it here. But thanks for trying to reignite the fire.

Contrary to your condescending attitude towards activities outside Law Review, I think employers like to see people have a life outside of academics. Believe it or not, personality matters (something you clearly lack) to employers making hiring decisions. And yes, I have a large law firm job lined up.

Is it in Atlanta doing landlord/tenant work?

Brock2010

Postby Brock2010 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:52 pm

Va L Rev Stud wrote:
DoctorGloom wrote:

I thought UVA had a collegial and laid back atmosphere?

vamedic03

Postby vamedic03 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:45 pm

@OP,

Do you consider your personality to be typical of LR and managing board or do you tend to be the outlier?

YourCaptain

Postby YourCaptain » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:54 pm

Brock2010 wrote:
Va L Rev Stud wrote:
DoctorGloom wrote:

I thought UVA had a collegial and laid back atmosphere?

If you've heard anything but softball and beer you've got the wrong place.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”