FSU 1L giving answers

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:28 pm

How are the intramural sports? Is there ever time?

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby procrastinator » Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:57 pm

Just get a FlaDL and walla! You're in state for non-school purposes.

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby procrastinator » Wed Mar 23, 2011 12:00 am

FeelTheHeat wrote:How are the intramural sports? Is there ever time?

Students create a lot of teams for all kinds of sports. They seem like a big deal. I spend my free time playing bar trivia, singing karaoke at the bar, or just going to the bar. Law school isn't as hard as they make it out to be in the movie.

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby NCtoDC » Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:20 am

procrastinator wrote:Just get a FlaDL and walla! You're in state for non-school purposes.


This is not true. Its a bit more complicated than that. http://www.law.fsu.edu/prospective_students/residency_reclassification_guidelines.pdf

NoleLaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby NoleLaw » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:15 am

minuit wrote:
procrastinator wrote:
minuit wrote:
melyanair wrote:Hey all - I'm also a 1L at FSU. To answer some of the previous questions - I was accepted to both UF and FSU, and chose FSU for a couple of reasons: more scholarship money, more access to ... well ... everything (being in the state capitol has huge advantages - being able to clerk for the 1st DCA, Supreme Court justices, a myriad of government agenecie, etc., even being taught by some of the justices ... thought that was invaluable), also as noted above, the staff, faculty, even the deans ... just wonderful - everyone truly cares about your success and they do all they can to help us succeed. I didn't find that warmth and sinceirty when going through the application process at UF. The above factors made my decision easy, and I'm SO glad i came here. I LOVE it!

I have a paid intenrship lined up for the summer. It's a big firm in the south-east, and they'll have 3 times as many FSU students clerking this summer than any other Florida school. Everyone else is from the T-14.

As far a school/life balance - I really can't compare it to any other school, but it's really not that bad. I still have time to do the things that matter most to me outside of law school, and I made really good grades first semester. You will have to work really hard, but you can also play hard, and still succeed.

I'll check in every few days to answer more questions - but if you have the opportunity, come! You won't regret it.


Any idea what your class rank % is at the moment? Also, how do you think your study habits compared to that of your peers?

I know this wasn't addressed to me, but I'd say the number one thing that most advantaged me was the fact that I was disciplined enough to work hard all semester. Do all the readings (and really understand the readings), take good notes in class (rather than play games or mess around on facebook), and keep procrastination at a minimum for the legal writing projects. Lots of students think they can miss classes, skip readings, and they'll catch up at the end. That's just way too much stuff to put and keep in your head in a matter of weeks.


I NEVER miss class, take lots of notes, and I read everything, so at least that shouldn't be an issue! :)



In addition to what has already been mentioned, it is really helpful to find a "mentor." The school allows students to sign up with a 2L mentor during their 1L year. It can be really helpful to ask questions of someone who has already done well with the particular professors you have.

You will hear some people say things like "law school isn't as hard as people make it out to be," but I think it would be terrible to enter law school thinking that. Everyone here is smart- and while perhaps you will be smart enough to give some effort and still perform well, that is a really risky approach to take. The smartest kids often don't finish at the top of the class because they come in with this assumption.

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby procrastinator » Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:50 am

NCtoDC wrote:
procrastinator wrote:Just get a FlaDL and walla! You're in state for non-school purposes.


This is not true. Its a bit more complicated than that. http://www.law.fsu.edu/prospective_students/residency_reclassification_guidelines.pdf

Not quite.

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby procrastinator » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:00 am

NoleLaw wrote:In addition to what has already been mentioned, it is really helpful to find a "mentor." The school allows students to sign up with a 2L mentor during their 1L year. It can be really helpful to ask questions of someone who has already done well with the particular professors you have.

+1. They send out a sheet before orientation asking, among other things like t-shirt size, what kind of mentor you would like (you can ask for someone from a certain hometown or state, certain undergrad, certain type of legal interest, certain former profession, etc). The mentors are really, really helpful and they want to see you do well. My mentor contacted me right away, and when I got to school took me out to lunch to find out my personality, goals, etc. before giving blanket advice. I still talk to him, because like many of the other mentors, he's very involved in co-curriculars (co-curriculars are those fun and prestigious things you actually can get credit for - moot court, law review and mock trial), and he's got lots of great tips on how to compete during tryouts.

You will hear some people say things like "law school isn't as hard as people make it out to be," but I think it would be terrible to enter law school thinking that. Everyone here is smart- and while perhaps you will be smart enough to give some effort and still perform well, that is a really risky approach to take. The smartest kids often don't finish at the top of the class because they come in with this assumption.

That it's not as hard as its made out to be isn't to say that it doesn't require a lot of effort and discipline. But if you do put in a lot of effort and discipline, and work smarter, not harder, don't let the stress get to you, etc. then you should learn a lot and have fun. And you will do well assuming you understand how to perform on a law school exam — I am definitely not anywhere near the smartest in the school (and my LSAT is at the median), but I am an effective writer and I know what professors are looking for. Figure that out, keep up on your studies starting day 1, and you'll find yourself comfortable. If you are not one of those people who knows how to tailor an argument to an audience, you'd do well to figure it out.

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby NCtoDC » Wed Mar 23, 2011 4:35 pm

procrastinator wrote:
NCtoDC wrote:
procrastinator wrote:Just get a FlaDL and walla! You're in state for non-school purposes.


This is not true. Its a bit more complicated than that. http://www.law.fsu.edu/prospective_students/residency_reclassification_guidelines.pdf

Not quite.


My bad...totally missed the "non-school" part, lol.

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby NCtoDC » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:21 am

So, random grading question...do you know if they do regular grading in classes with fewer than 20 students (at Wake they said they do not grade on a curve for classes with less than 20 students), just wondered if this was common practice across law schools.

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby procrastinator » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:17 am

33 or less is on a less strict curve or something. I don't know about seminars. That isn't stuff you need to worry about until 2nd year.

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby NCtoDC » Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:33 am

procrastinator wrote:33 or less is on a less strict curve or something. I don't know about seminars. That isn't stuff you need to worry about until 2nd year.


Thanks! I know it won't matter for 1L, but I like to think ahead :-)

PeterD2189
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby PeterD2189 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:26 am

i am currently looking at Florida State as a potential Law School to attend, however i am also looking at MiamiU and Florida University, I am from NY and looking to go out of state (and where the weather is not as bad lol) what are your opinions on these two colleges and what was your LSAT score to get into FSU? looking through this thread you seem to really enjoy your time at FSU so far, good to see someone so happy with their choice in schools.

User avatar
NCtoDC
Posts: 542
Joined: Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:48 pm

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby NCtoDC » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:34 am

PeterD2189 wrote:i am currently looking at Florida State as a potential Law School to attend, however i am also looking at MiamiU and Florida University, I am from NY and looking to go out of state (and where the weather is not as bad lol) what are your opinions on these two colleges and what was your LSAT score to get into FSU? looking through this thread you seem to really enjoy your time at FSU so far, good to see someone so happy with their choice in schools.


By Florida University do you mean University of Florida? UF is considered the #1 school in FL with FSU as #2. That being said, the differences are minuscule and visiting each campus is necessary to see which place you feel more comfortable. I did not visit UF but hear it is in a pretty small town with little to do. FSU is in the state capital which offers many networking opportunities as well as great opportunities for summer employment that wouldn't require you to move during the summer.

Miami is very expensive. It is pretty easy...if you have about 500 dollars...to get FL residency for your 2L and 3L years, making UF and FSU much better options merely based on finances.

check out http://schools.lawschoolnumbers.com/?&w=F to see what LSAT/GPA combos are getting accepted or denied at each school.

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby procrastinator » Thu Mar 24, 2011 10:58 am

^ what he said.

User avatar
FeelTheHeat
Posts: 5203
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:32 am

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby FeelTheHeat » Thu Mar 24, 2011 1:39 pm

procrastinator wrote:^ what she said.


FTFY lol

PeterD2189
Posts: 17
Joined: Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:14 pm

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby PeterD2189 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 4:15 pm

thank you, much appreciated.

NoleLaw
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:08 pm

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby NoleLaw » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:50 pm

NCtoDC wrote:
PeterD2189 wrote:i am currently looking at Florida State as a potential Law School to attend, however i am also looking at MiamiU and Florida University, I am from NY and looking to go out of state (and where the weather is not as bad lol) what are your opinions on these two colleges and what was your LSAT score to get into FSU? looking through this thread you seem to really enjoy your time at FSU so far, good to see someone so happy with their choice in schools.


By Florida University do you mean University of Florida? UF is considered the #1 school in FL with FSU as #2. That being said, the differences are minuscule and visiting each campus is necessary to see which place you feel more comfortable. I did not visit UF but hear it is in a pretty small town with little to do. FSU is in the state capital which offers many networking opportunities as well as great opportunities for summer employment that wouldn't require you to move during the summer.

Miami is very expensive. It is pretty easy...if you have about 500 dollars...to get FL residency for your 2L and 3L years, making UF and FSU much better options merely based on finances.

check out http://schools.lawschoolnumbers.com/?&w=F to see what LSAT/GPA combos are getting accepted or denied at each school.


I'll have to disagree with UF being #1. I think it is misleading to even draw a line between FSU and UF. Basically, if you can get into FSU or UF then those are clearly the smart choices in Florida. If you get into both, you should visit them and decide which one fits you better. At the end of the day, the OVERWHELMING factor as to how you begin your career will depend on your grades. If you do great at FSU or UF, you will have great prospects regardless of which school you attend. If you finish in the middle of the class, your prospects will be similar at each school, and so on.

One thing that often gets overlooked in the FSU vs. UF debate is faculties. I do think FSU has the better group of professors, which should be near the top of the list when you're deciding between the two. I'm basing this assertion on Leiter's Faculty Rankings (based on per capita scholarly impact), in which FSU was 23rd in the nation. I'd say the next best thing FSU has going for it is the opportunities while you're in law school. The ability to work at the Florida Supreme Court, 1st DCA, Bankruptcy Court, etc. are incredible to have on your resume before you've even graduated.

But in summary, as I mentioned, how you do at each school as to grades/class rank will be much more important than whether you choose FSU or UF.

User avatar
Bill Cosby
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 am

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby Bill Cosby » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:15 pm

Where do you live? Any complexes you'd recommend? Do you find it difficult to get by on your loans?

If coming from out-of-state, do you think a month is enough time to finish the steps needed to qualify for residency for 2L and 3L?

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby procrastinator » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:45 pm

Bill Cosby wrote:Where do you live? Any complexes you'd recommend? Do you find it difficult to get by on your loans?

If coming from out-of-state, do you think a month is enough time to finish the steps needed to qualify for residency for 2L and 3L?

I do not recommend Delaney Park at Southwood. I would, because I've enjoyed living there and it's about the nicest in town, but they unreasonably refused to come to a mutual, fair understanding regarding my lease, using that all-to-common one liner: "it's corporate policy and we can't make an exception." Do not do business with a company that makes that excuse to justify screwing you.

I don't get by on loans. Others don't seem to have a problem. A month is perfect. You won't have to rush. I did everything in 10 days with five of them spent in pre-orientation.

EricBerry
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby EricBerry » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:35 am

I have a few questions for the current students:
1. Is there anything I should know about gaining residency before moving down to Tallahassee in early August? Do I need to get anything in motion before August? Is there an order in which I need to complete the tasks on the residency checklist? Basically, will there be any surprises that could set me back in gaining residency?
2. What is your honest assessment of the apartments right next to the law school? I hear that they're not ideal, but I'm not extremely picky.
3. Do law students ever go out on the weekends? I checked out some of the bars on Tennessee last weekend when I was in town and I was blown away by the quality and quantity of attractive ladies.
4. If I live off campus or out of walking distance, would you suggest getting a pass for the civic center lot? I hate having to look for parking, but if the garage usually has open spots, that would work.

Thanks!

procrastinator
Posts: 144
Joined: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:19 am

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby procrastinator » Tue Mar 29, 2011 2:53 am

EricBerry wrote:I have a few questions for the current students:
1. Is there anything I should know about gaining residency before moving down to Tallahassee in early August? Do I need to get anything in motion before August? Is there an order in which I need to complete the tasks on the residency checklist? Basically, will there be any surprises that could set me back in gaining residency?
2. What is your honest assessment of the apartments right next to the law school? I hear that they're not ideal, but I'm not extremely picky.
3. Do law students ever go out on the weekends? I checked out some of the bars on Tennessee last weekend when I was in town and I was blown away by the quality and quantity of attractive ladies.
4. If I live off campus or out of walking distance, would you suggest getting a pass for the civic center lot? I hate having to look for parking, but if the garage usually has open spots, that would work.

Thanks!

1. Make sure you have a birth certificate, car title, all that good required stuff you need from back home.
2. They blow.
3. LOL, no, what world are you living in? All law students are nerdy douchebags that never have any fun. Truthfully though, you will probably go out Thurs-Sat the first half of the semester, and then make it once a week when you get busy.
4. Garage usually has open spots. There's also a gravel lot that doesn't fill up til around 9. You can make your assessment and if necessary get a Civic Center pass later, I think (alternatively, it's only $3 to park there, and you surely won't find yourself without a main, garage or gravel lot spot that often).

EricBerry
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby EricBerry » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:04 pm

Thanks for the response, man. So i shouldnt even consider the phoenix south complexes?

User avatar
Bill Cosby
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 am

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby Bill Cosby » Thu Mar 31, 2011 9:49 am

Not that we'll have much time or money for it, but any good restaurant recommendations?

User avatar
Bill Cosby
Posts: 331
Joined: Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:56 am

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby Bill Cosby » Mon Apr 04, 2011 3:32 pm

This will be more relevant for 2L and 3Ls that may be commenting, but what do feel is the impact of the curve on how firms view you? I've heard of firming having 3.0 cutoffs, sorta ignoring curve in the process, it seems like.

EricBerry
Posts: 247
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 7:52 pm

Re: FSU 1L giving answers

Postby EricBerry » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:42 pm

I don't have the answer to your question, but why would a school choose to have a lower curve?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests