Transfer McGeorge to Davis or Hastings

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
jarofsoup

Transfer McGeorge to Davis or Hastings

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:03 pm

I have been accepted to McGeorge. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to transfer from McGeorge to Davis or Hastings?

I am guessing that if you get in top 1-15% of your class it is entirely possible.

PM if you have any stories or personal experience.

jdhakert

Re: Transfer McGeorge to Davis or Hastings

Postby jdhakert » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:08 pm

you're gonna get reamed on this thread man, just sayin

merc280

Postby merc280 » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:10 pm

preplanning to transfer is never a good idea. well admitting to thinking about it before attending a class isn't feasible.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:20 pm

I know all this. I am entering a confused phase of my cycle. Waiting on the schools I really want to go to and trying to figure stuff out.

I am debating moving to a new state or trying to transfer.

I am waiting on Santa Clara University where I would be happy spending three years. I

samaside

Postby samaside » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:22 pm

I guess it's possible. I don't know, have you been to McGeorge and toured around the place? Are you sure you wouldn't like it and want to stay? Because if you aren't sure then I would probably say don't even bother. Wait another year or something and don't waste time somewhere you don't want to be. But, I mean, most of the people I know who go there seem to like it. I was a Pacific undergrad and I never got out there myself but I knew a lot of 3-3 BA/JD students who liked the law school. I didn't apply because I didn't really want to move back to California - I don't really have any connection to the state besides Pacific and the economy is kind of shit right now - but a lot of people I know did and they are pretty happy with it.

Dman

Postby Dman » Thu Mar 24, 2011 6:27 pm

Transfer is possible, but not likely. I transfered to UCLA but I also was accepted as a transfer to Davis, never applied to Hastings. I do know that my 1L year the majority of people said they wanted to transfer. In the end very few did and even more lost thier scholarships (top 1/3 req).

It is a gamble.

Gatriel

Postby Gatriel » Thu Mar 24, 2011 7:13 pm

IBretake&ED2UVA

Pilaf Rocket

Postby Pilaf Rocket » Thu Mar 24, 2011 11:16 pm

jarofsoup wrote:I have been accepted to McGeorge. Can anyone tell me if it is possible to transfer from McGeorge to Davis or Hastings?

I am guessing that if you get in top 1-15% of your class it is entirely possible.

PM if you have any stories or personal experience.

I was accepted for transfer from McG to Davis/Hastings. So yes, it's entirely possible.

However, in order to transfer from McG you need to 1) finish in the top 10%, meaning you have to beat out 90% of the class (50% of which think they are going to finish in the top 10%) and 2) you have to deal with the horrible Registrar's office that a) refuses to send your transcript to the schools you applied to transfer to "until rank comes out" and then b) refuses to rank students until after the day most UC transfer applications are due (which ended up being 2 weeks after grades were released).

What everyone on TLS says is correct- it's easier to retake than to transfer. If you aren't happy in graduating from McG, don't go. I can't say this enough.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Mar 25, 2011 12:18 pm

It seems like Santa Clara or bust.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”