UC Irvine 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
uci2013
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby uci2013 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:56 pm

lawandi wrote:
lawandi wrote:I have another question. Thanks for all of your guys' help!!!

I turned in my housing application to try and reserve myself a single at Vista del Campo, or VDC Norte--in case I choose Irvine-- and no where in the application did it ask if I wanted a single/ what type of room I want. When will they ask this? Or is it just random assignment?

Also, what portion of your classmates don't live in one of the complexes immediately surrounding campus or on campus (i.e. out toward the coast, elsewhere in Irvine...)

Nevermind, figured it out!


Oh good, sorry I couldn't help, I just found this thread. . .

shiroipanda
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:23 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby shiroipanda » Wed Apr 13, 2011 3:38 am

uci2013 wrote:
lfp wrote:Thanks for doing this! I'm sure I'll have a lot more of my questions answered at the ASD, but while prepping for that... a question: can you speak to the quality of the faculty? I know UCI has some serious rock star power, but I'm thinking in terms of the upper level courses and the more specialized areas of law. I know UCI will find someone to teach a class if it has the prerequisite interest, but I don't want an education based on the adjunct faculty. Does this make sense? Since I'm interested in gender law, and UCI doesn't have a designated scholar in the field, I wonder how UCI will fare in finding people to work with in the area. Again, thanks!


Professor Menkel-Meadow has done work in Feminist Jurisprudence.


I took a Feminist Jurisprudence course during undergrad and we covered a lot of stuff that Professor Menkel-Meadow wrote on feminism and alternative dispute resolution. So, I was pretty impressed when I saw Professor Menkel-Meadow among the list of faculty members at UCI because I actually recognized the name from literature I read during college (and to be honest, I really don't remember much from undergrad, so that says a lot lol).

uci2013
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby uci2013 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 11:12 am

shiroipanda wrote:I took a Feminist Jurisprudence course during undergrad and we covered a lot of stuff that Professor Menkel-Meadow wrote on feminism and alternative dispute resolution. So, I was pretty impressed when I saw Professor Menkel-Meadow among the list of faculty members at UCI because I actually recognized the name from literature I read during college (and to be honest, I really don't remember much from undergrad, so that says a lot lol).


I'm impressed your undergrad offered a course on feminist jurisprudence - nice!

jck4487
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:15 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby jck4487 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:18 am

Motorcycle parking. Is there any near the law school? I tried to figure it out from the UCI website, but it was a little ambiguous.

lfp
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby lfp » Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:11 pm

jck4487 wrote:Motorcycle parking. Is there any near the law school? I tried to figure it out from the UCI website, but it was a little ambiguous.


http://www.parking.uci.edu/permits/studentpermits.cfm

jck4487
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:15 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby jck4487 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:49 pm

lfp wrote:
jck4487 wrote:Motorcycle parking. Is there any near the law school? I tried to figure it out from the UCI website, but it was a little ambiguous.


http://www.parking.uci.edu/permits/studentpermits.cfm


I found that... it just doesn't show motorcycle parking well. And I'm secretly hoping there's more than I can seem to find haha.

thegreenmnmgurl
Posts: 2
Joined: Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby thegreenmnmgurl » Thu Apr 21, 2011 3:19 pm

I don't have a question, but as it seems there are some class of 2014 members on this thread, I wanted to let everyone know about the UCI Class of 2014 facebook group. Here's the link: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 9994239149

I hope to see some of you in the fall!

vkgarrett
Posts: 143
Joined: Sun May 23, 2010 2:35 pm

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby vkgarrett » Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:44 pm

Bringing up this post again ---- how do the new 1Ls like UCI so far?? I'm seriously considering it, but it seems like everyone else I'm concerned about the lack of alumni base. Whats the job market looking like for recent grads?

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby desertlaw » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:04 am

Any UCI students that are looking to sub-let their apartment for the summer? I'm going to be in town with a firm for the summer and looking for a place to stay w/my wife. PM me if you're trying to find a renter for the summer.

horrorbusiness
Posts: 669
Joined: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:49 pm

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby horrorbusiness » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:59 am

Hey guys, any idea as to whether UCI gives its undergrads any preference for law school admission? I just graduated this past June and am applying in the upcoming cycle.

jck4487
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:15 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby jck4487 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:43 pm

Nobody can really no for sure, but the official answer would be no and I'm doubting they do.

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby desertlaw » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:13 am

Are any law students looking to sublet their apartment over the summer? PM me if you are. Wife and I are looking for a place to stay during summer internship.

uci2013
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby uci2013 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:38 pm

desertlaw wrote:Are any law students looking to sublet their apartment over the summer? PM me if you are. Wife and I are looking for a place to stay during summer internship.


I can check around for you. Are you looking for a 1 bedroom apt? Are you and your wife open to a roommate situation or wanting your own place? Is off campus housing also ok?

Verano Place is one of the grad student complexes and they allow sublets. They have a weekly newsletter that will kick back in after the holidays and you can place an ad in there, I've seen sublet wanted ads in there before. They say they are free to UCI students but don't say how much an add is for non-UCI student, but here is the info:

"Classified ads are free for Verano residents. Email the ad, with ‘GazetteAd’ as the subject, to gazettead@housing.hsg.uci.edu by Tuesday, 5 p.m. Please include your name, address and phone number for the ad to be included in the Verano Gazette.
The Verano Housing Office reserves the right to withhold any ad from publication or edit any ad for purposes of clarification,
space constraints or policy considerations. All ads must be no more than 350 characters with spaces. Ads will be cut off at this
point. ‘For Sale’ ads may be placed by Verano residents only. ‘Lost and Found’ late ads are allowed. The Verano Housing Office
does not endorse any ads."

Palo Verde is the other grad housing complex for families. Their newsletter doesn't seem to have an official classifieds section, but you could email them to see if they can put in an announcement for you as well. Info:

"E-mail submissions to Pvinquiry@uci.edu by Tuesday before 3:00 PM. // http://www.housing.uci.edu/pv/press.asp"

There s a good chance they won't be back up an running until the 2nd or 3rd week of January.

Hope this helps.

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby desertlaw » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:32 pm

uci2013 wrote:
desertlaw wrote:Are any law students looking to sublet their apartment over the summer? PM me if you are. Wife and I are looking for a place to stay during summer internship.


I can check around for you. Are you looking for a 1 bedroom apt? Are you and your wife open to a roommate situation or wanting your own place? Is off campus housing also ok?

Verano Place is one of the grad student complexes and they allow sublets. They have a weekly newsletter that will kick back in after the holidays and you can place an ad in there, I've seen sublet wanted ads in there before. They say they are free to UCI students but don't say how much an add is for non-UCI student, but here is the info:

"Classified ads are free for Verano residents. Email the ad, with ‘GazetteAd’ as the subject, to gazettead@housing.hsg.uci.edu by Tuesday, 5 p.m. Please include your name, address and phone number for the ad to be included in the Verano Gazette.
The Verano Housing Office reserves the right to withhold any ad from publication or edit any ad for purposes of clarification,
space constraints or policy considerations. All ads must be no more than 350 characters with spaces. Ads will be cut off at this
point. ‘For Sale’ ads may be placed by Verano residents only. ‘Lost and Found’ late ads are allowed. The Verano Housing Office
does not endorse any ads."

Palo Verde is the other grad housing complex for families. Their newsletter doesn't seem to have an official classifieds section, but you could email them to see if they can put in an announcement for you as well. Info:

"E-mail submissions to Pvinquiry@uci.edu by Tuesday before 3:00 PM. // http://www.housing.uci.edu/pv/press.asp"

There s a good chance they won't be back up an running until the 2nd or 3rd week of January.

Hope this helps.



Thanks for the info. It looks like those places are only willing to rent to UCI students if they do that. Unfortunately I go to another law school. We'd probably prefer something off-campus, but it doesn't really matter either way to us. We'd probably be willing to pay more than the value of the lease, and we'd prefer our own place but could be okay with sharing with a roommate. We'd even buy out a whole 2-bedroom if two people are looking to find a subletter for the summer. I'm assuming that come Feb/March, more students will be looking to find sublettors. Hopefully that's the case. We'll keep checking Craigslist too.

uci2013
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby uci2013 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:57 pm

desertlaw wrote:
uci2013 wrote:
desertlaw wrote:Are any law students looking to sublet their apartment over the summer? PM me if you are. Wife and I are looking for a place to stay during summer internship.


I can check around for you. Are you looking for a 1 bedroom apt? Are you and your wife open to a roommate situation or wanting your own place? Is off campus housing also ok?

Verano Place is one of the grad student complexes and they allow sublets. They have a weekly newsletter that will kick back in after the holidays and you can place an ad in there, I've seen sublet wanted ads in there before. They say they are free to UCI students but don't say how much an add is for non-UCI student, but here is the info:

"Classified ads are free for Verano residents. Email the ad, with ‘GazetteAd’ as the subject, to gazettead@housing.hsg.uci.edu by Tuesday, 5 p.m. Please include your name, address and phone number for the ad to be included in the Verano Gazette.
The Verano Housing Office reserves the right to withhold any ad from publication or edit any ad for purposes of clarification,
space constraints or policy considerations. All ads must be no more than 350 characters with spaces. Ads will be cut off at this
point. ‘For Sale’ ads may be placed by Verano residents only. ‘Lost and Found’ late ads are allowed. The Verano Housing Office
does not endorse any ads."

Palo Verde is the other grad housing complex for families. Their newsletter doesn't seem to have an official classifieds section, but you could email them to see if they can put in an announcement for you as well. Info:

"E-mail submissions to Pvinquiry@uci.edu by Tuesday before 3:00 PM. // http://www.housing.uci.edu/pv/press.asp"

There s a good chance they won't be back up an running until the 2nd or 3rd week of January.

Hope this helps.



Thanks for the info. It looks like those places are only willing to rent to UCI students if they do that. Unfortunately I go to another law school. We'd probably prefer something off-campus, but it doesn't really matter either way to us. We'd probably be willing to pay more than the value of the lease, and we'd prefer our own place but could be okay with sharing with a roommate. We'd even buy out a whole 2-bedroom if two people are looking to find a subletter for the summer. I'm assuming that come Feb/March, more students will be looking to find sublettors. Hopefully that's the case. We'll keep checking Craigslist too.


I live in one of those complexes. During the school year you can only sublet to UCI students. During the summer you can sublet to non-UCI students. But you can't rent directly from the complex - it has to be a sublet. Also, last year some students posted on nalpexchange when it opened up (I think it opens up some time next month) and there may be students off campus who will be looking to sublet as well. Anyway I can check around when classes start back up as well. I know some students who will be in Nor Cal or NYC for the summer and not sure what their plans are for their apartments over the summer.

desertlaw
Posts: 679
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:03 pm

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby desertlaw » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:27 am

That would be great. Thank you much for the help.

Beachbum89
Posts: 192
Joined: Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:08 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby Beachbum89 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:23 pm

What's the social life at the law school? Are most students public-interest minded or do a decent amount of students want jobs at corporate law firms? Thanks for answering our questions.

User avatar
3rdDan
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Feb 03, 2012 4:21 pm

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby 3rdDan » Sun Feb 26, 2012 1:52 am

I visited the campus the campus recently and sat in on the Con Law class. Few things I learned.
1. I thought the room was small (coming from a big public school), and was surprised to learn that the whole 1L class was in it. Less than 100 people, but still seemed small, I loved it.
2. The professor was engaging, encouraging, and approachable. Turns out he is The Dean of the law school!
3. Staff and faculty were very approachable. They express their passion for the law school through everything they do.
4. The students I met were friendly. I was able to easily strike up a conversation with them after class, and they answered all my questions. Students were diverse in their backgrounds and goals after law school which I think is important.
5. Overall, there is an atmosphere that everyone involved is working towards something. The Dean mission are not just words, they are at work.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: iamgeorgebush, White Dwarf and 7 guests