UC Irvine 1L taking questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
transparency
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:06 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby transparency » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:27 pm

lfp wrote:UCI is small, for sure. And while I like the idea of really getting to know everyone in my program and developing that close-knit community, what are the drawbacks of the size of UCI? Also, are most students right out of undergrad, or does the population lean toward those with some work/life experience pre-law school? Thanks again for doing this!


UCI's small community, at least the way I see it, is a net positive. I certainly agree with my classmate's point--the small community has led to a general "we're all in this together" attitude. We know each other fairly well and are also generally very supportive of each other.

One drawback I suppose is that, where students often talk about the law school "bubble," the "bubble" will likely form itself more quickly and easily in a small community such as this. Another drawback relates to our lack of alumni, which I am assuming is what you also implied by your concerns of a small community.

I strongly feel that both drawbacks have been positives for our school's community. Having a small community has created a strong bond among many of us and having no alumni has led many students to heavily rely on professors and administrators for the professional advice they'd often seek from alumni.

To answer your second question, my classmate is correct, very few students entered UCI directly from undergrad (of which I am one). I'm not sure if you wished to ask about what advantages/disadvantages there were to this, but I will not anything more from your question.

jck4487
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:15 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby jck4487 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:41 pm

transparency wrote:Hey everyone,

I am also a 1L at UC Irvine School of Law. Hopefully I can offer another perspective for you to consider so that you may get a more vivid picture of what the school is like. After reading some of the other school's discussions, I'm convinced that many (but definitely not all) simply advertise their school rather than provide a clear picture. Hopefully, I will be able to do as great of a job as my classmate has been doing and provide a clearer picture of the school. I hope to help you on your school decision, whether or not you choose UC Irvine (but I hope you do choose UCI!), because I'd much rather you choose a place that you get good vibes from than convince you with masterful trickery and publicity.


So I'd be interested to hear what current UCI students would guess about where UCI will fall in the rankings (when it is ranked). I think there have been lots of discussions about what self-educated potential law students think, but very little from current students. Not that it would affect my decision to go or not - I'm going for the community and not a ranking. But it is still interesting. :D

transparency
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:06 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby transparency » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:32 pm

jck4487 wrote:
transparency wrote:Hey everyone,

I am also a 1L at UC Irvine School of Law. Hopefully I can offer another perspective for you to consider so that you may get a more vivid picture of what the school is like. After reading some of the other school's discussions, I'm convinced that many (but definitely not all) simply advertise their school rather than provide a clear picture. Hopefully, I will be able to do as great of a job as my classmate has been doing and provide a clearer picture of the school. I hope to help you on your school decision, whether or not you choose UC Irvine (but I hope you do choose UCI!), because I'd much rather you choose a place that you get good vibes from than convince you with masterful trickery and publicity.


So I'd be interested to hear what current UCI students would guess about where UCI will fall in the rankings (when it is ranked). I think there have been lots of discussions about what self-educated potential law students think, but very little from current students. Not that it would affect my decision to go or not - I'm going for the community and not a ranking. But it is still interesting. :D


Your question is oddly timely, as I was talking to a couple of classmates about this very topic yesterday afternoon.

I do not understand how the US News rankings work, nor do I give it much weight. This is because having a ranking that does much to shock but little to inform only perpetuates a cycle where students apply based rankings not understanding what criteria the rankings are based on.

You make it clear that you are not that sort of individual, and I'm really glad :). But to answer your question, Dean Chemerinsky has made his goal with regards to UC Irvine's ranking clear--within the top 20. Do I think it's doable? Certainly. But it definitely is not going to be cake either. From the way it looks on the ground, UC Irvine seems to have taken a strong couple of steps in the right direction. We have made incredibly fortunate hirings recently and hope to have high summer employment numbers for the second year in a row, both of which should boost our chances of meeting that goal.

Tangentially related to your concern, I believe that the Dean has done a great job focusing on the process of building a good community rather than solely focusing on the product of having a top 20 law school. This "focus on the process and the product will follow" approach is something that I certainly can agree with. I strongly feel that if you build an institution around camaraderie and intellectual rigor rather than cold hard numbers, you end up with a body of students, faculty, and administrators see each other as group friends and colleagues instead of an impersonal lawyer-spewing machine.

But what you learn, at least what I hope people learn once they're in law school is that ranking of your school does not matter nearly as much as how much effort you put into your school work.

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby alexonfyre » Sat Mar 26, 2011 9:00 pm

First of all, thank you guys for taking time out to answer questions for us.

I am currently getting ready for the Fall 2012 cycle, but I am a pretty severe splitter (2.8/166, going to retake). UCI is probably my number 1 pick because of the opportunity to help build what will certainly be a top-flight law school in the years to come. My entire resume is about creating new organizations and opening up new opportunities for others (helped establish an award winning international dorm-life program at my UG, current work experience is opening new markets for the small company I work for.)
I have a demonstrated passion for these sorts of things, but I worry that my numbers and other factors (weak community service experience, particularly) will make me an auto-deny. What can I do to showcase my enthusiasm, and even if I do that well, do I have a shot?

aj15ufmd
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 10:48 pm

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby aj15ufmd » Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:26 pm

In terms of on-campus housing, how difficult is it for a law student to get a single room? I know you said Vista Del Campo is mostly two bedrooms, but is it possible to get single housing there or elsewhere on campus?

lfp
Posts: 111
Joined: Thu Dec 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby lfp » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:34 pm

transparency wrote:
lfp wrote:UCI is small, for sure. And while I like the idea of really getting to know everyone in my program and developing that close-knit community, what are the drawbacks of the size of UCI? Also, are most students right out of undergrad, or does the population lean toward those with some work/life experience pre-law school? Thanks again for doing this!


UCI's small community, at least the way I see it, is a net positive. I certainly agree with my classmate's point--the small community has led to a general "we're all in this together" attitude. We know each other fairly well and are also generally very supportive of each other.

One drawback I suppose is that, where students often talk about the law school "bubble," the "bubble" will likely form itself more quickly and easily in a small community such as this. Another drawback relates to our lack of alumni, which I am assuming is what you also implied by your concerns of a small community.

I strongly feel that both drawbacks have been positives for our school's community. Having a small community has created a strong bond among many of us and having no alumni has led many students to heavily rely on professors and administrators for the professional advice they'd often seek from alumni.

To answer your second question, my classmate is correct, very few students entered UCI directly from undergrad (of which I am one). I'm not sure if you wished to ask about what advantages/disadvantages there were to this, but I will not anything more from your question.


Thanks for addressing these - I was actually talking about the "bubble" of the law school community. I know every school will become sort of insular, and given the suburban reality of Irvine and the small size of the UCI Law School, I was wondering if it's a little too insular, or if the people are just so genuinely sociable that the small size is a good thing.

And as for the undergrad/older breakdown, I was just wondering if I would be abnormal given the fact that I'm 25, not 22. I can see the advantages/disadvantages to each side, just wondering. Thanks!

Metaread
Posts: 234
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 pm

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby Metaread » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:39 am

Would people recommend on campus living or off campus? Which is the best for its price, and are people who choose to live off-campus somewhat more isolated than those who live on?

User avatar
lawandi
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby lawandi » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:42 am

transparency wrote:
lfp wrote:UCI is small, for sure. And while I like the idea of really getting to know everyone in my program and developing that close-knit community, what are the drawbacks of the size of UCI? Also, are most students right out of undergrad, or does the population lean toward those with some work/life experience pre-law school? Thanks again for doing this!


UCI's small community, at least the way I see it, is a net positive. I certainly agree with my classmate's point--the small community has led to a general "we're all in this together" attitude. We know each other fairly well and are also generally very supportive of each other.

One drawback I suppose is that, where students often talk about the law school "bubble," the "bubble" will likely form itself more quickly and easily in a small community such as this. Another drawback relates to our lack of alumni, which I am assuming is what you also implied by your concerns of a small community.

I strongly feel that both drawbacks have been positives for our school's community. Having a small community has created a strong bond among many of us and having no alumni has led many students to heavily rely on professors and administrators for the professional advice they'd often seek from alumni.

To answer your second question, my classmate is correct, very few students entered UCI directly from undergrad (of which I am one). I'm not sure if you wished to ask about what advantages/disadvantages there were to this, but I will not anything more from your question.


Do you find that the small size allows for less variety in classes for 2L's and 3L's? Have you ever been frustrated with limited choices in classes?

User avatar
lawandi
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby lawandi » Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:46 am

ViP wrote:
Metaread wrote:How realistic is it to attend UC Irvine specifically with a career in big law firms in mind? Other posters have mentioned many of UC Irvine's placements are in public law.


Many students are interested in public interest, but many students are also primarily interested in firm work. The school definitely promotes public interest work, but students who want firm work are obviously equally supported and have the same advantages as other UCI students with regard to our incredibly well-connected and established faculty.

Anyways, the most pertinent info I can give you is written in this December 2010 article:
http://law.uci.edu/pdf/djournal_120710.pdf

By December 2010, 19 2Ls had received firm offers through OCI, and 14 had accepted offers through applying directly to firms.

"Employers who made offers to UC Irvine students through the on-campus interview process include Jones Day; O'Melveny & Meyers; Morrison & Foerster; Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton; Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher; and Crowell & Moring, among other national and regional firms . . . .

"Bob Williams, the firmwide recruiting partner at Sheppard Mullin, said the school's accreditation status had no bearing on their decision to hire from UC Irvine. "I think it would be kind of arrogant of an employer not to take notice of that school," Williams said. "This is a group of students who certainly are not less qualified than other groups." Williams said the start-up nature of the school in some ways gives the students more marketable skills, because they have to launch programs like the law review from scratch without any institutionalized guidance."


I know that this is a small sample size, but would the UCI students on this board mind sharing what their fellowship/externship/etc plans are for this summer?

transparency
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:06 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby transparency » Tue Mar 29, 2011 12:18 pm

alexonfyre wrote:First of all, thank you guys for taking time out to answer questions for us.

I am currently getting ready for the Fall 2012 cycle, but I am a pretty severe splitter (2.8/166, going to retake). UCI is probably my number 1 pick because of the opportunity to help build what will certainly be a top-flight law school in the years to come. My entire resume is about creating new organizations and opening up new opportunities for others (helped establish an award winning international dorm-life program at my UG, current work experience is opening new markets for the small company I work for.)
I have a demonstrated passion for these sorts of things, but I worry that my numbers and other factors (weak community service experience, particularly) will make me an auto-deny. What can I do to showcase my enthusiasm, and even if I do that well, do I have a shot?


hey alexonfyre,

I am not part of the admissions committee (nor is any other student at UCI) so I will try to get you the best advice without sounding too generic. What you've described about yourself will certainly help you to stand out as a candidate. I am uncertain if they will be practicing the same admissions methodology as they did in the past, but in the past I know that they read the personal statement prior to any other assessment and evaluated based on the statement whether they even wanted to get into the more conventional evaluative criteria.

You make it clear that you understand the position you are in, being a splitter. I hope you find encouragement in that many students at UCI are splitters. One that I can think of actually had a 2.9 GPA but had a higher LSAT to offset that. Since your "soft" factors seem to be outstanding (creating an award winning program of anything at a undergraduate institution is just sick), I would say the best way to raise your chances on getting in is doing better on your LSAT.

To more directly answer your question, to showcase your enthusiasm, make sure your personal statement makes it clear not only what you have done, but why you have done it, and how you plan to use those skills to contribute to the institution-building culture of UCI. I should warn you though, that it is important to incorporate the most important things you have done or things you are passionate about without seeming like you are simply listing your credentials. In other words, try your best not to sound pretentious. I'm not sure how much you would want to take that advice to heart, seeing as how I'm not on the admissions committee. But I've spoken with a few administrators and faculty about how they made their admissions decisions and what always lit the "warning light" on and they commonly said something to the effect of "people who came off as really arrogant in their personal statements." As for your lack of community service, while having some service will certainly help, not having it will certainly not hurt. I was a candidate who had ZERO (really, zero) extracurriculars, and I know that there are quite a few of us that were like that as applicants. So I would not say that having zero community service would tank your chances.

And to answer your other question, of course you have a shot! You sound like an incredible applicant from the little that you've revealed. I wish you the best. And I apologize for this painfully long reply.

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby alexonfyre » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:35 pm

transparency wrote:
alexonfyre wrote:First of all, thank you guys for taking time out to answer questions for us.

I am currently getting ready for the Fall 2012 cycle, but I am a pretty severe splitter (2.8/166, going to retake). UCI is probably my number 1 pick because of the opportunity to help build what will certainly be a top-flight law school in the years to come. My entire resume is about creating new organizations and opening up new opportunities for others (helped establish an award winning international dorm-life program at my UG, current work experience is opening new markets for the small company I work for.)
I have a demonstrated passion for these sorts of things, but I worry that my numbers and other factors (weak community service experience, particularly) will make me an auto-deny. What can I do to showcase my enthusiasm, and even if I do that well, do I have a shot?


hey alexonfyre,

I am not part of the admissions committee (nor is any other student at UCI) so I will try to get you the best advice without sounding too generic. What you've described about yourself will certainly help you to stand out as a candidate. I am uncertain if they will be practicing the same admissions methodology as they did in the past, but in the past I know that they read the personal statement prior to any other assessment and evaluated based on the statement whether they even wanted to get into the more conventional evaluative criteria.

You make it clear that you understand the position you are in, being a splitter. I hope you find encouragement in that many students at UCI are splitters. One that I can think of actually had a 2.9 GPA but had a higher LSAT to offset that. Since your "soft" factors seem to be outstanding (creating an award winning program of anything at a undergraduate institution is just sick), I would say the best way to raise your chances on getting in is doing better on your LSAT.

To more directly answer your question, to showcase your enthusiasm, make sure your personal statement makes it clear not only what you have done, but why you have done it, and how you plan to use those skills to contribute to the institution-building culture of UCI. I should warn you though, that it is important to incorporate the most important things you have done or things you are passionate about without seeming like you are simply listing your credentials. In other words, try your best not to sound pretentious. I'm not sure how much you would want to take that advice to heart, seeing as how I'm not on the admissions committee. But I've spoken with a few administrators and faculty about how they made their admissions decisions and what always lit the "warning light" on and they commonly said something to the effect of "people who came off as really arrogant in their personal statements." As for your lack of community service, while having some service will certainly help, not having it will certainly not hurt. I was a candidate who had ZERO (really, zero) extracurriculars, and I know that there are quite a few of us that were like that as applicants. So I would not say that having zero community service would tank your chances.

And to answer your other question, of course you have a shot! You sound like an incredible applicant from the little that you've revealed. I wish you the best. And I apologize for this painfully long reply.


I really appreciate it. I really should point out that I was a small, but active, part of a large group of motivated people, so I won't be saying "created" so much as "helped to build." The professor who was really the leader and creator of the project has enthusiastically agreed to help me with a strong LOR regarding that, so hopefully that will help.
I am much more encouraged to work on this application now, hopefully I will see you there in a couple years!

transparency
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:06 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby transparency » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:10 pm

aj15ufmd wrote:In terms of on-campus housing, how difficult is it for a law student to get a single room? I know you said Vista Del Campo is mostly two bedrooms, but is it possible to get single housing there or elsewhere on campus?


Hey aj15umfd,

Unfortunately, I live off campus (with my folks) so I won't be able to answer your question with as much expertise as my colleagues may. But, I do know that it isn't difficult to get a single room at Puerta del Sol. However, PDS gets quite a lot of complaints from its residents for inconvenient parking (the parking structure is as much as 10-15 minutes away from the complex). Money, sadly, is the biggest factor. If you are willing to pay for a single room, I'm certain that you would be able to find one. But, because of a lack of knowledge, I will respectfully defer this question to my colleagues.

transparency
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:06 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby transparency » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:22 pm

lawandi wrote:
transparency wrote:
lfp wrote:UCI is small, for sure. And while I like the idea of really getting to know everyone in my program and developing that close-knit community, what are the drawbacks of the size of UCI? Also, are most students right out of undergrad, or does the population lean toward those with some work/life experience pre-law school? Thanks again for doing this!


UCI's small community, at least the way I see it, is a net positive. I certainly agree with my classmate's point--the small community has led to a general "we're all in this together" attitude. We know each other fairly well and are also generally very supportive of each other.

One drawback I suppose is that, where students often talk about the law school "bubble," the "bubble" will likely form itself more quickly and easily in a small community such as this. Another drawback relates to our lack of alumni, which I am assuming is what you also implied by your concerns of a small community.

I strongly feel that both drawbacks have been positives for our school's community. Having a small community has created a strong bond among many of us and having no alumni has led many students to heavily rely on professors and administrators for the professional advice they'd often seek from alumni.

To answer your second question, my classmate is correct, very few students entered UCI directly from undergrad (of which I am one). I'm not sure if you wished to ask about what advantages/disadvantages there were to this, but I will not anything more from your question.


Do you find that the small size allows for less variety in classes for 2L's and 3L's? Have you ever been frustrated with limited choices in classes?


Hey lawandi,

As a 1L, I don't have a choice with regard to my class schedule and type. With regard to types of classes being a product of the small class size, the great thing about UCI is that if there is a clear interest in a particular topic, a class can be made for it. The curriculum seems to really respond to the needs and desires of the student body, which is a huge encouragement to me--I love learning about things I love learning about (as redundant as that sounds, i don't know how else to put it).

Sorry that I can't contribute much more than that, we 1Ls haven't had the chance to register for next semester's classes so I don't have a better answer than that.

transparency
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:06 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby transparency » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:50 pm

lfp wrote:
transparency wrote:
lfp wrote:UCI is small, for sure. And while I like the idea of really getting to know everyone in my program and developing that close-knit community, what are the drawbacks of the size of UCI? Also, are most students right out of undergrad, or does the population lean toward those with some work/life experience pre-law school? Thanks again for doing this!


UCI's small community, at least the way I see it, is a net positive. I certainly agree with my classmate's point--the small community has led to a general "we're all in this together" attitude. We know each other fairly well and are also generally very supportive of each other.

One drawback I suppose is that, where students often talk about the law school "bubble," the "bubble" will likely form itself more quickly and easily in a small community such as this. Another drawback relates to our lack of alumni, which I am assuming is what you also implied by your concerns of a small community.

I strongly feel that both drawbacks have been positives for our school's community. Having a small community has created a strong bond among many of us and having no alumni has led many students to heavily rely on professors and administrators for the professional advice they'd often seek from alumni.

To answer your second question, my classmate is correct, very few students entered UCI directly from undergrad (of which I am one). I'm not sure if you wished to ask about what advantages/disadvantages there were to this, but I will not anything more from your question.


Thanks for addressing these - I was actually talking about the "bubble" of the law school community. I know every school will become sort of insular, and given the suburban reality of Irvine and the small size of the UCI Law School, I was wondering if it's a little too insular, or if the people are just so genuinely sociable that the small size is a good thing.

And as for the undergrad/older breakdown, I was just wondering if I would be abnormal given the fact that I'm 25, not 22. I can see the advantages/disadvantages to each side, just wondering. Thanks!


Hey lfp,

It certainly is not abnormal that you are 25 and not 22. In fact, i would argue that it would be a bit more unorthodox if you were 22. As a 25 year old, you would be around the happy medium for our class. I don't know the statistics from other schools, but i am certain that being 25 or not a straight-out-of-undergrad individual is completely normal.

The small size is definitely a good thing. There are all sorts of people here and there are definitely people who are genuinely sociable. Granted, every school with have "hermits," for lack of a better term, but generally speaking, most of us probably have little problem spending leisure time with each other. As for your concern about the too insular nature of the school, I believe that, if UCI is like this, it will diminish as the school grows in size. I feel that the amount of work that is required in the first year makes insularity a smaller concern since most are focused on school work.

jck4487
Posts: 112
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:15 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby jck4487 » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:22 pm

ASD was awesome - if anyone that went still has any questions, he was obviously hiding in a corner because I think I was asked hundreds of times if I had any more questions. I'm kind of curious who you guys (vip, uci2013 and transparency) were. Were you in any of the panels?

transparency
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:06 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby transparency » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:43 pm

lawandi wrote:
ViP wrote:
Metaread wrote:How realistic is it to attend UC Irvine specifically with a career in big law firms in mind? Other posters have mentioned many of UC Irvine's placements are in public law.


Many students are interested in public interest, but many students are also primarily interested in firm work. The school definitely promotes public interest work, but students who want firm work are obviously equally supported and have the same advantages as other UCI students with regard to our incredibly well-connected and established faculty.

Anyways, the most pertinent info I can give you is written in this December 2010 article:
http://law.uci.edu/pdf/djournal_120710.pdf

By December 2010, 19 2Ls had received firm offers through OCI, and 14 had accepted offers through applying directly to firms.

"Employers who made offers to UC Irvine students through the on-campus interview process include Jones Day; O'Melveny & Meyers; Morrison & Foerster; Sheppard Mullin Richter & Hampton; Gibson, Dunn & Crutcher; and Crowell & Moring, among other national and regional firms . . . .

"Bob Williams, the firmwide recruiting partner at Sheppard Mullin, said the school's accreditation status had no bearing on their decision to hire from UC Irvine. "I think it would be kind of arrogant of an employer not to take notice of that school," Williams said. "This is a group of students who certainly are not less qualified than other groups." Williams said the start-up nature of the school in some ways gives the students more marketable skills, because they have to launch programs like the law review from scratch without any institutionalized guidance."


I know that this is a small sample size, but would the UCI students on this board mind sharing what their fellowship/externship/etc plans are for this summer?


I would love to tell you where I'm working over the summer, but that would definitely compromise my identity because of the small class size. I really hope you were able to make it to ASD though, there was some information in the ASD folder listing the places that students, 1Ls and 2Ls, were able to secure summer employment.

transparency
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:06 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby transparency » Sat Apr 02, 2011 11:45 pm

jck4487 wrote:ASD was awesome - if anyone that went still has any questions, he was obviously hiding in a corner because I think I was asked hundreds of times if I had any more questions. I'm kind of curious who you guys (vip, uci2013 and transparency) were. Were you in any of the panels?


I'm glad that you enjoyed ASD! I was not on the panel, I feel that I may be banned from panels because of my odd sense of humor. The people that were on the panels are really awesome and, at least I feel, are indicative of the student body. But as for me, I was roaming around during the lunch and tabling during the organization/clubs table session.

User avatar
1800calturk
Posts: 127
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:32 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby 1800calturk » Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:49 pm

transparency wrote:
I would love to tell you where I'm working over the summer, but that would definitely compromise my identity because of the small class size. I really hope you were able to make it to ASD though, there was some information in the ASD folder listing the places that students, 1Ls and 2Ls, were able to secure summer employment.


You could feasibly list several places you and your friends are working, or the kinds of places people are working.

User avatar
alexonfyre
Posts: 425
Joined: Fri Dec 25, 2009 3:00 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby alexonfyre » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:11 am

1800calturk wrote:
transparency wrote:
I would love to tell you where I'm working over the summer, but that would definitely compromise my identity because of the small class size. I really hope you were able to make it to ASD though, there was some information in the ASD folder listing the places that students, 1Ls and 2Ls, were able to secure summer employment.


You could feasibly list several places you and your friends are working, or the kinds of places people are working.


Yeah, a list from the classmates you do know, with or without yours included, just to get an idea would be nice.
Thanks again guys.

User avatar
lawandi
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby lawandi » Mon Apr 04, 2011 1:18 am

I have another question. Thanks for all of your guys' help!!!

I turned in my housing application to try and reserve myself a single at Vista del Campo, or VDC Norte--in case I choose Irvine-- and no where in the application did it ask if I wanted a single/ what type of room I want. When will they ask this? Or is it just random assignment?

Also, what portion of your classmates don't live in one of the complexes immediately surrounding campus or on campus (i.e. out toward the coast, elsewhere in Irvine...)

User avatar
lawandi
Posts: 125
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:32 pm

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby lawandi » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:26 am

lawandi wrote:I have another question. Thanks for all of your guys' help!!!

I turned in my housing application to try and reserve myself a single at Vista del Campo, or VDC Norte--in case I choose Irvine-- and no where in the application did it ask if I wanted a single/ what type of room I want. When will they ask this? Or is it just random assignment?

Also, what portion of your classmates don't live in one of the complexes immediately surrounding campus or on campus (i.e. out toward the coast, elsewhere in Irvine...)

Nevermind, figured it out!

uci2013
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby uci2013 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:45 pm

alexonfyre wrote:
1800calturk wrote:
transparency wrote:
I would love to tell you where I'm working over the summer, but that would definitely compromise my identity because of the small class size. I really hope you were able to make it to ASD though, there was some information in the ASD folder listing the places that students, 1Ls and 2Ls, were able to secure summer employment.


You could feasibly list several places you and your friends are working, or the kinds of places people are working.


Yeah, a list from the classmates you do know, with or without yours included, just to get an idea would be nice.
Thanks again guys.


Just found this thread. Students who attended ASD were given a list of all the employment placements so far for this summer. I don't have the list but can mention some things I know in regard to the 1L class. I was told that the list should be up on the website shortly as well, so keep looking I guess,

A lot of my friends are working as externs for various judges. Among the more prestigious placements I know of is a placement with Judge Reinhardt of the 9th circuit court of appeals. One student will be working for a judge in Hawaii (I'm a little jealous) and one student found a judicial externship program in Argentina. One student will be at the Court of International Trade. For government students are working for JAG, the US Attorneys Office, and both DA and PD offices. Public interest I am aware of Alliance for Children's Right, Bet Tzedek, and Mississippi Center for Justice. And someone placed with Warner Brothers as well. Those are what I can think of off the top of my head for 1L.

uci2013
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby uci2013 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:47 pm

lfp wrote:Thanks for doing this! I'm sure I'll have a lot more of my questions answered at the ASD, but while prepping for that... a question: can you speak to the quality of the faculty? I know UCI has some serious rock star power, but I'm thinking in terms of the upper level courses and the more specialized areas of law. I know UCI will find someone to teach a class if it has the prerequisite interest, but I don't want an education based on the adjunct faculty. Does this make sense? Since I'm interested in gender law, and UCI doesn't have a designated scholar in the field, I wonder how UCI will fare in finding people to work with in the area. Again, thanks!


Professor Menkel-Meadow has done work in Feminist Jurisprudence.

uci2013
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby uci2013 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:50 pm

Metaread wrote:How realistic is it to attend UC Irvine specifically with a career in big law firms in mind? Other posters have mentioned many of UC Irvine's placements are in public law.


I suspect biglaw at UC Irvine is like it is at a lot of schools. You have a good shot at it if you have high grades, or if you are qualified to do IP work (Engineering degree, advanced degrees in other sciences, etc). Unfortunately, biglaw still cares about grades. I don't know who constitutes a big firm but over half the 2Ls are working in a firm this summer, FWIW.

uci2013
Posts: 226
Joined: Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:32 am

Re: UC Irvine 1L taking questions

Postby uci2013 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:55 pm

jck4487 wrote:ASD was awesome - if anyone that went still has any questions, he was obviously hiding in a corner because I think I was asked hundreds of times if I had any more questions. I'm kind of curious who you guys (vip, uci2013 and transparency) were. Were you in any of the panels?


Nope I wasn't on a panel - but I think some awesome students were :-). I am glad you enjoyed ASD and had a chance to meet some of my classmates.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: curry1, iwoeps, laowhynot109, q2w3e, Skyline55 and 2 guests