Schools in Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lily.roe

New

Schools in Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas

Post by lily.roe » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:32 am

I am currently in the process of applying for law school and im nervous because i didnt do so great on the lsat. i got a 151, i got nervous and just freaked out, hence my score. I got a good GPA 3.40 and i do volunteer work and speak 3 languages and got amazing recomendation letters, but my LSAT score makes me nervous. To me, this means my realistic range of posible law schools that will admit me is small. I like the states of Florida, Georgia, South Carolina and North Carolina, which is why i checked out these schools

Charleston School of Law - which is my front runner because it is in South Carolina.
Atlantas John Marshall- Georgia
Campbell University, Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law- NC
Elon University School of Law- NC
Florida Coastal School of Law- Florida
Stetson University- Florida

I was also told about Charlotte School of Law amd North Carolina Central, but i dont know.

If any one has heard anything about someone who goes to any of these schools, or if you go or went to any of them, please feel free to chime in :)

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Re: Schools in Florida, Georgia and the Carolinas

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:40 am

Is English your first language ? In which languages are you fluent ?

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:47 am

lily.roe wrote: I was also told about Charlotte School of Law amd North Carolina Central, but i dont know.
I live in NC so I know the reputation (somewhat) of many NC schools. DO NOT go to Charlotte, that would be a bad choice. It is not respected in NC, period. I personally wouldn't go to NC Central, either. Also I don't know much about Elon except for that their school is pretty new, and you should really go to a school that has a reputation. My opinion on law schools in NC is that your best chances with your LSAT lie in going to Campbell. I had a friend who went there and she is now happy and working in Raleigh. Campbell places very well in the Raleigh area despite their ranking.

Also, Stetson is good if you want to stay in Tampa. However, you will not be able to move outside of FL with such a highly regional degree, if you go there. And I know nothing about Charleston.

In short, I think you should probably choose between Campbell and Stetson, but you'll have to make this choice dependent upon where you want to live (Raleigh or Tampa) for the next many years. Or retake.

lily.roe

New

Post by lily.roe » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:55 am

CanadianWolf wrote:Is English your first language ? In which languages are you fluent ?
i speak english, spanish and portuguese. my first language is spanish , im from puerto rico but im fully bilingual, and portuguese is my third language.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:59 am

Of your listed law schools, only Stetson should be considered seriously by you.

Your language combination may prove valuable as several US law firms are opening offices in Brazil to help clients take advantage of the healthy & growing economy.

Consider applying to the University of Denver which claims to have a "Lawyering in Spanish" program which offers law courses in Spanish & internships in Spain & South America. The former dean of the law school heads the program. I have read DU's Lawyering in Spanish literature, but couldn't get much hard information from the former dean. (Denver also offers a part-time law program with, I believe, more lenient admissions standards than it's full-time program just like Stetson.)

Consider retaking the LSAT after some serious preparation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:11 am

unless you're an URM (and even if you are) the only school on that list worth going to at sticker is FSU, and you're going to have to up your LSAT at least 10 points to have a shot at getting in. You're definitely going to want to consider retaking the LSAT after some serious studying.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:35 am

FSU is not on the list.

mez06

Bronze

Post by mez06 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:43 am

University of South Carolina?<<<<your best bet. Why isn't it on your list? And as far as spanish speaking in Fl, thats a dime a dozen.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:43 am

CanadianWolf wrote:FSU is not on the list.
:?

I swear I was good at reading things once.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

lily.roe

New

Post by lily.roe » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:49 am

mez06 wrote:University of South Carolina?<<<<your best bet. Why isn't it on your list? And as far as spanish speaking in Fl, thats a dime a dozen.
unfortunately i missed my university of south carolina app deadline :/

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:53 am

lily.roe wrote:
mez06 wrote:University of South Carolina?<<<<your best bet. Why isn't it on your list? And as far as spanish speaking in Fl, thats a dime a dozen.
you should probably just retake, that way you have a better score and enough time to get together solid applications in time for the next cycle deadlines.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:55 am

DeeCee wrote:
lily.roe wrote:
you should probably just retake, that way you have a better score and enough time to get together solid applications in time for the next cycle deadlines.

atlantisdan

New

Post by atlantisdan » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:55 pm

I took a tour of John Marshall and found it not only facility lacking but completely disorganized in their administrative duties. I was there half an hour before they realized I was already an applicant. Charlotte is a for profit school with a very high tuition and very low reputation. I have a friend who has a 152 and much weaker gpa who is doing very well by being an URM. I would look at the LSAC school lists and apply to areas you feel you have a chance at. A TTT or TTTT school that offers a good price and high quality of life with the curriculum you desire may require you to be a bit more open to moving.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”