Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
bilbobaggins
Posts: 686
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:41 pm

Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby bilbobaggins » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:34 pm

Gawker and ATL have both reported that one of UVA's always hyped "Feb Club" parties took place around a bunch of Confederate flag pong tables (link: http://abovethelaw.com/2011/02/do-you-r ... s#comments).

What's the deal with that?

Did anyone think it was a bad idea? Inappropriate? Maybe alienating towards minority students? Do you have minority students?

Inquiring trolls want to know.

User avatar
jcunni5
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby jcunni5 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:37 pm

bilbobaggins wrote:Gawker and ATL have both reported that one of UVA's always hyped "Feb Club" parties took place around a bunch of Confederate flag pong tables (link: http://abovethelaw.com/2011/02/do-you-r ... s#comments).

What's the deal with that?

Did anyone think it was a bad idea? Inappropriate? Maybe alienating towards minority students? Do you have minority students?

Inquiring trolls want to know.


Wasn't there but from what i understand this party was hosted by an undergrad fraternity so I don't think UVA Law should get the rap for this.

No idea what people who were throwing the party thought, but i would guess it was a more Southern Pride motivation than a racial one. Yes we have minority students......

User avatar
Malcolm8X
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby Malcolm8X » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:51 pm

As a minority student entering UVA's Class of 2014, I wanna put my 2 cents.. I'm not naive. Racism still exists everywhere whether it's in your face or not. Whether it's at UVA or at Cardoza. UVA can't control what goes on in the undergrad campus or even within the secluded party atmosphere of a few law students. I'd have to see and hear more widespread reports of bigotry before I get even a bit nervous, or feel that the school has a cultural issue. But ONE pic?! C'mon.

Bottom line to me, the Civil War is over, the south lost and good prevailed. And if they want to revel in their misery, be my guest as long as they don't disturb my legal studies. And this is coming from someone whose avatar name is Malcolm8X.

User avatar
R.R. Raskolnikov
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby R.R. Raskolnikov » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:15 pm

As someone who may be attending UVA law next year, what would concern me more than an isolated incident at an undergraduate frat house would be if this claim - "Scenes like this are far too common at Mr. Jefferson’s University" - by whoever reported this story to Above the Law is true. More particularly, if it were true of the law school, whose students should really be well above that nonsense.

That would be bothersome, but this alone isn't all that surprising. It doesn't change my view of the law school at all unless there is more than meets the eye here.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:44 pm

R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:As someone who may be attending UVA law next year, what would concern me more than an isolated incident at an undergraduate frat house would be if this claim - "Scenes like this are far too common at Mr. Jefferson’s University" - by whoever reported this story to Above the Law is true. More particularly, if it were true of the law school, whose students should really be well above that nonsense.

That would be bothersome, but this alone isn't all that surprising. It doesn't change my view of the law school at all unless there is more than meets the eye here.


As an AA male this is one of the things that worries me about going to UVA. I've lived in the North most of my life but I lived in South Carolina and Mississippi for military training and to see such things as Segregated proms and monuments named after men who made a living by being racist toward people who looked like me (I used to live on Strum Thurmond way) is a hard thing to do. I know some ( I said some, and if you look at the comments probably many) southern white people don't understand how black people could possibly be offended by he confederate flag, but ask your self do you understand how Jews could possibly be offended by the Swastika? But to the point of the OP things like this alone probably will not stop me from attending UVA but it doesn't make me want to go there either esp when I can get a similar education at places like Michigan, Penn and Berkeley and not have to worry about this stuff.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:57 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:As someone who may be attending UVA law next year, what would concern me more than an isolated incident at an undergraduate frat house would be if this claim - "Scenes like this are far too common at Mr. Jefferson’s University" - by whoever reported this story to Above the Law is true. More particularly, if it were true of the law school, whose students should really be well above that nonsense.

That would be bothersome, but this alone isn't all that surprising. It doesn't change my view of the law school at all unless there is more than meets the eye here.


As an AA male this is one of the things that worries me about going to UVA. I've lived in the North most of my life but I lived in South Carolina and Mississippi for military training and to see such things as Segregated proms and monuments named after men who made a living by being racist toward people who looked like me (I used to live on Strum Thurmond way) is a hard thing to do. I know some ( I said some, and if you look at the comments probably many) southern white people don't understand how black people could possibly be offended by he confederate flag, but ask your self do you understand how Jews could possibly be offended by the Swastika? But to the point of the OP things like this alone probably will not stop me from attending UVA but it doesn't make me want to go there either esp when I can get a similar education at places like Michigan, Penn and Berkeley and not have to worry about this stuff.


I think there is a world of difference between the Deep South and Virginia. In general, most of Virginia can be categorized as a mid-Atlantic state rather than a Southern state. There are certainly backwards pockets in Virginia, but these tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

As to the average UVA law student, most are not from Virginia, and, of those from Virginia, they are either from Northern Virginia (a suburb of DC), Richmond, or the Tidewater area. In other words, most are from urban regions that are not backwards.

With regards to the febclub incident, I think there are several factors involved here. First, as has been stated above, the people holding the party rented out the fraternity house that it was held in. Unfortunately, they may not have used the best discretion in picking houses. Most of the undergrad is from the midAtlantic and most of the fraternities, even, are not stereotypically Southern. There are, however, outliers. Apparently, the people who hosted the febclub party found an outlier.

Second, with respect to febclub, while it is an institutional tradition, it is certainly not sponsored or endorsed by the law school. In fact, plenty of people choose not to attend most, or any, of the febclub parties.

My over all point is this, UVA tends to be a very open and welcoming community. While there are certain people who are 'fratier' or party more than others, they are certainly not exclusive or non-welcoming. There are very strong affinity groups at the law school. Additionally, the general University community has a long standing commitment to diversity. Finally, the surrounding city, Charlottesville, tends to be very, very liberal and open to all.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:04 pm

jcunni5 wrote:
bilbobaggins wrote:Gawker and ATL have both reported that one of UVA's always hyped "Feb Club" parties took place around a bunch of Confederate flag pong tables (link: http://abovethelaw.com/2011/02/do-you-r ... s#comments).

What's the deal with that?

Did anyone think it was a bad idea? Inappropriate? Maybe alienating towards minority students? Do you have minority students?

Inquiring trolls want to know.


Wasn't there but from what i understand this party was hosted by an undergrad fraternity so I don't think UVA Law should get the rap for this.

No idea what people who were throwing the party thought, but i would guess it was a more Southern Pride motivation than a racial one. Yes we have minority students......
Didn't a UVa Law person arrange to have the undergrad frat host it? Don't tables have another side? It's surprising that they didn't just flip them over when students complained. It certainly seems like an alienating element.

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby Kohinoor » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:09 pm

vamedic03 wrote:Finally, the surrounding city, Charlottesville, tends to be very, very liberal and open to all.
Unlike the neighboring city of Lynchburg.

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:16 pm

vamedic03 wrote:
unc0mm0n1 wrote:
R.R. Raskolnikov wrote:As someone who may be attending UVA law next year, what would concern me more than an isolated incident at an undergraduate frat house would be if this claim - "Scenes like this are far too common at Mr. Jefferson’s University" - by whoever reported this story to Above the Law is true. More particularly, if it were true of the law school, whose students should really be well above that nonsense.

That would be bothersome, but this alone isn't all that surprising. It doesn't change my view of the law school at all unless there is more than meets the eye here.


As an AA male this is one of the things that worries me about going to UVA. I've lived in the North most of my life but I lived in South Carolina and Mississippi for military training and to see such things as Segregated proms and monuments named after men who made a living by being racist toward people who looked like me (I used to live on Strum Thurmond way) is a hard thing to do. I know some ( I said some, and if you look at the comments probably many) southern white people don't understand how black people could possibly be offended by he confederate flag, but ask your self do you understand how Jews could possibly be offended by the Swastika? But to the point of the OP things like this alone probably will not stop me from attending UVA but it doesn't make me want to go there either esp when I can get a similar education at places like Michigan, Penn and Berkeley and not have to worry about this stuff.


I think there is a world of difference between the Deep South and Virginia. In general, most of Virginia can be categorized as a mid-Atlantic state rather than a Southern state. There are certainly backwards pockets in Virginia, but these tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

As to the average UVA law student, most are not from Virginia, and, of those from Virginia, they are either from Northern Virginia (a suburb of DC), Richmond, or the Tidewater area. In other words, most are from urban regions that are not backwards.

With regards to the febclub incident, I think there are several factors involved here. First, as has been stated above, the people holding the party rented out the fraternity house that it was held in. Unfortunately, they may not have used the best discretion in picking houses. Most of the undergrad is from the midAtlantic and most of the fraternities, even, are not stereotypically Southern. There are, however, outliers. Apparently, the people who hosted the febclub party found an outlier.

Second, with respect to febclub, while it is an institutional tradition, it is certainly not sponsored or endorsed by the law school. In fact, plenty of people choose not to attend most, or any, of the febclub parties.

My over all point is this, UVA tends to be a very open and welcoming community. While there are certain people who are 'fratier' or party more than others, they are certainly not exclusive or non-welcoming. There are very strong affinity groups at the law school. Additionally, the general University community has a long standing commitment to diversity. Finally, the surrounding city, Charlottesville, tends to be very, very liberal and open to all.


I agree with your post, from the BLSA people I have talked to and some former students most have enjoyed their time there. I have not heard the same stories from students that I've heard at some of the other southern schools. Also clearly people in the law school are probably mature enough to understand others opinions. I have nothing bad to say about UVA and I'm excited for ASW. I just know law school will be hard enough without any race drama, but from what I under stand this event was pretty isolated and also I think a lot of southern people don't find the confederate flag offensive so they can't understand how others could.

User avatar
vamedic03
Posts: 1579
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2008 9:50 am

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby vamedic03 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:25 pm

A couple follow up points:

(1) Maybe I'm just insulated from the general rumor mill, but if it had not been on ATL, I would never have heard about this incident. I have literally heard nothing about this outside of reading about it on here and ATL. I'm certainly not into the febclub scene - I have plenty of work that keeps me from going out very often.

(2) I think that the entire incident reflects on poor decision making by a very small group of students. I certainly do not intend to defend the decision makers; however, I doubt if they were even aware of the implications of the table tops. And, to be fair, they belonged to the rented fraternity rather than the group that organized the party. While many would certainly hope for people to be more cognizant of such things, its not as though a group of law students obliviously, or insidiously, maintained a set of Confederate flag table tops.

showNprove
Posts: 968
Joined: Sun Jun 08, 2008 2:52 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby showNprove » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:27 pm

These Confederate flags were on beer pong tables in the basement of a private, undergraduate frat house to be used for a Civil War-themed beer pong game. Insensitive? Probably, but it's not like someone was flying the flag in Spies Garden (there would be an uproar from students and faculty if someone did).

I don't know what experiences the tipster has had, but these scenes are not common. I've never met anyone who was hostile to minorities, homosexuals, or non-Christians. This is the strongest community I have been a part of.

socraticmethodman
Posts: 315
Joined: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:35 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby socraticmethodman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:33 pm

Malcolm8X wrote:As a minority student entering UVA's Class of 2014, I wanna put my 2 cents.. I'm not naive. Racism still exists everywhere whether it's in your face or not. Whether it's at UVA or at Cardoza. UVA can't control what goes on in the undergrad campus or even within the secluded party atmosphere of a few law students. I'd have to see and hear more widespread reports of bigotry before I get even a bit nervous, or feel that the school has a cultural issue. But ONE pic?! C'mon.

Bottom line to me, the Civil War is over, the south lost and good prevailed. And if they want to revel in their misery, be my guest as long as they don't disturb my legal studies. And this is coming from someone whose avatar name is Malcolm8X.


+1

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:48 pm

showNprove wrote:These Confederate flags were on beer pong tables in the basement of a private, undergraduate frat house to be used for a Civil War-themed beer pong game. Insensitive? Probably, but it's not like someone was flying the flag in Spies Garden (there would be an uproar from students and faculty if someone did).

I don't know what experiences the tipster has had, but these scenes are not common. I've never met anyone who was hostile to minorities, homosexuals, or non-Christians. This is the strongest community I have been a part of.


yeah I don't like the confederate flag but I 1000% agree that a private frat should do whatever they want to do. The law students probably had no idea that they were going to be there and besides voices the opinion that they were insensitive and should be removed what else should they have done. The more I read it it seems the author is trying to paint an unfair picture of UVA law. Although I hope some of the people making the comments below the story don't attend UVA law (and from the posters I've met on TLS, I'm sure they don't).

User avatar
aspire2more
Posts: 196
Joined: Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:23 am

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby aspire2more » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:48 am

unc0mm0n1 wrote:But to the point of the OP things like this alone probably will not stop me from attending UVA but it doesn't make me want to go there either esp when I can get a similar education at places like Michigan, Penn and Berkeley and not have to worry about this stuff.


You may or may not have to see a confederate flag outside of the Southern US, but trust me, there are racist people everywhere. That includes Michigan, Pennsylvania, and California.

FWIW, I've been in the South my entire life. I have seen the odd confederate flag here and there and I have heard racist comments on occasion, but that's about it. I've never had anything significant happen that would make nervous about going to law school in the South.

Bumi
Posts: 947
Joined: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:57 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby Bumi » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:31 am

vamedic03 wrote:I think there is a world of difference between the Deep South and Virginia. In general, most of Virginia can be categorized as a mid-Atlantic state rather than a Southern state. There are certainly backwards pockets in Virginia, but these tend to be the exception rather than the rule.

As to the average UVA law student, most are not from Virginia, and, of those from Virginia, they are either from Northern Virginia (a suburb of DC), Richmond, or the Tidewater area. In other words, most are from urban regions that are not backwards.

...

Finally, the surrounding city, Charlottesville, tends to be very, very liberal and open to all.


I do not attend UVa but my family has roots in Virginia going back as far as anyone can remember. I find the above to be mostly right with some nitpicks. Northern Virginia maintains virtually no remnants of a southern culture, but other parts of the state most definitely do, and a sense of southern and even confederate pride is a part of this. Richmond is the urban area where this is possibly most true, and NoVa and Charlottesville are perhaps city areas where it is least true. But certainly the more rural parts of the state feel very strong ties to confederate roots. Openly displaying a confederate flag is still viewed as no big deal to many people throughout the state, including the younger generation who you'd think would have learned enough to move past it.

You can say it's not the Deep South, but Virginia resisted segregation as long as anyone else. Some predominately white school districts refused to play sports with predominately black schools into the 70s. Virginia resisted interracial marriage as long as anyone else obviously. What I was taught about the civil war and what my classmates at my northern UG were taught was very different, startlingly so. I have noticed that Richmond has an easier time having a productive social open dialogue about racial issues than other, even northern, cities. But I definitely would class Virginia as a state with southern political sensibilities.

If you go to UVA law school, your perspective on this is likely to be pretty different than mine. I totally agree that Charlottesville has traditionally been one of the most liberal parts of the state, and you will interact primarily with the educated. Meanwhile, I have roots in some of the most rural parts of the state, and many in my family never attended college. So I'm not disagreeing with your assessment of UVa, just some specifics about Virginia. Hopefully this is useful.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:11 pm

I've lived in VA for a substantial part of my life, but I have also lived in the North east.
I know for a fact that the undergrad is extremely segregated, not unlike the majority of VA. I would assume that the law school is different considering it probably has more out of state students. Is Mr. Jefferson's school racist? Since it's not a black and white issue (pun intended), it depends...

For instance, a black guy from Mississippi may say "Wow, UVA seems very welcoming to minorities," a black guy from Boston may say "Wow, what the fuck is up with all of this racial hostility at this school?" and someone like I am, from VA, would probably say "well, that's Virginia for you." It is all relative. At the end of the day, one should go to school where they feel most comfortable for whatever reason (or where they get the most money/highest ranking :lol:).

Just my .02

User avatar
unc0mm0n1
Posts: 1714
Joined: Sat Dec 25, 2010 1:06 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby unc0mm0n1 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:14 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:I've lived in VA for a substantial part of my life, but I have also lived in the North east.
I know for a fact that the undergrad is extremely segregated, not unlike the majority of VA. I would assume that the law school is different considering it probably has more out of state students. Is Mr. Jefferson's school racist? Since it's not a black and white issue (pun intended), it depends...

For instance, a black guy from Mississippi may say "Wow, UVA seems very welcoming to minorities," a black guy from Boston may say "Wow, what the fuck is up with all of this racial hostility at this school?" and someone like I am, from VA, would probably say "well, that's Virginia for you." It is all relative. At the end of the day, one should go to school where they feel most comfortable for whatever reason (or where they get the most money/highest ranking :lol:).

Just my .02



If we both go to UVA we gotta hangout :). Which ASW you going to?

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby yngblkgifted » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:38 pm

unc0mm0n1 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:I've lived in VA for a substantial part of my life, but I have also lived in the North east.
I know for a fact that the undergrad is extremely segregated, not unlike the majority of VA. I would assume that the law school is different considering it probably has more out of state students. Is Mr. Jefferson's school racist? Since it's not a black and white issue (pun intended), it depends...

For instance, a black guy from Mississippi may say "Wow, UVA seems very welcoming to minorities," a black guy from Boston may say "Wow, what the fuck is up with all of this racial hostility at this school?" and someone like I am, from VA, would probably say "well, that's Virginia for you." It is all relative. At the end of the day, one should go to school where they feel most comfortable for whatever reason (or where they get the most money/highest ranking :lol:).

Just my .02



If we both go to UVA we gotta hangout :). Which ASW you going to?


Yeah man, definitely. I'm going to the one on the 18th of March. I didn't know there was more than one ASW? Which one are you going to?

User avatar
jcunni5
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby jcunni5 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:51 pm

yngblkgifted wrote:I've lived in VA for a substantial part of my life, but I have also lived in the North east.
I know for a fact that the undergrad is extremely segregated, not unlike the majority of VA. I would assume that the law school is different considering it probably has more out of state students. Is Mr. Jefferson's school racist? Since it's not a black and white issue (pun intended), it depends...

For instance, a black guy from Mississippi may say "Wow, UVA seems very welcoming to minorities," a black guy from Boston may say "Wow, what the fuck is up with all of this racial hostility at this school?" and someone like I am, from VA, would probably say "well, that's Virginia for you." It is all relative. At the end of the day, one should go to school where they feel most comfortable for whatever reason (or where they get the most money/highest ranking :lol:).

Just my .02


if you know people from Boston or how Boston is they would probably think UVA was a bastion of racial harmony haha, seriously i've encountered far more racist sentiments in Chicago (where i'm from) than UVA it's not even close really, it's kinda laughable that people think northern cities aren't racist, this may be true of the affluent parts of those cities but if you go to the more blue collar areas you'll find it to be quite a different story

Seriously though people of all races are very much accepted at our school, it's really not an issue...

User avatar
Kohinoor
Posts: 2756
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:51 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby Kohinoor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:02 am

jcunni5 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:I've lived in VA for a substantial part of my life, but I have also lived in the North east.
I know for a fact that the undergrad is extremely segregated, not unlike the majority of VA. I would assume that the law school is different considering it probably has more out of state students. Is Mr. Jefferson's school racist? Since it's not a black and white issue (pun intended), it depends...

For instance, a black guy from Mississippi may say "Wow, UVA seems very welcoming to minorities," a black guy from Boston may say "Wow, what the fuck is up with all of this racial hostility at this school?" and someone like I am, from VA, would probably say "well, that's Virginia for you." It is all relative. At the end of the day, one should go to school where they feel most comfortable for whatever reason (or where they get the most money/highest ranking :lol:).

Just my .02


if you know people from Boston or how Boston is they would probably think UVA was a bastion of racial harmony haha, seriously i've encountered far more racist sentiments in Chicago (where i'm from) than UVA it's not even close really, it's kinda laughable that people think northern cities aren't racist, this may be true of the affluent parts of those cities but if you go to the more blue collar areas you'll find it to be quite a different story

Seriously though people of all races are very much accepted at our school, it's really not an issue...
I'm from Boston. UVa isn't a bastion of racial harmony.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:05 am

jcunni5 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:I've lived in VA for a substantial part of my life, but I have also lived in the North east.
I know for a fact that the undergrad is extremely segregated, not unlike the majority of VA. I would assume that the law school is different considering it probably has more out of state students. Is Mr. Jefferson's school racist? Since it's not a black and white issue (pun intended), it depends...

For instance, a black guy from Mississippi may say "Wow, UVA seems very welcoming to minorities," a black guy from Boston may say "Wow, what the fuck is up with all of this racial hostility at this school?" and someone like I am, from VA, would probably say "well, that's Virginia for you." It is all relative. At the end of the day, one should go to school where they feel most comfortable for whatever reason (or where they get the most money/highest ranking :lol:).

Just my .02


if you know people from Boston or how Boston is they would probably think UVA was a bastion of racial harmony haha, seriously i've encountered far more racist sentiments in Chicago (where i'm from) than UVA it's not even close really, it's kinda laughable that people think northern cities aren't racist, this may be true of the affluent parts of those cities but if you go to the more blue collar areas you'll find it to be quite a different story

Seriously though people of all races are very much accepted at our school, it's really not an issue...


Maybe so. I've never have actually been to Boston, I just figured it was the perfect city to make my point because it is the most northern major city on the east coast and people (whether rightly or wrongly) tend to assume that the farther you go north, the less racism you encounter. I know racism exists everywhere, but I was just making some light-hearted generalizations :lol: . To be clear, are you referring to the Law school or the undergrad? I can't speak for the law school, but to say racism isn't really an issue at the undergrad.....well, from what I've heard and experienced first hand, idk about all of that....but hey it's all relative.

User avatar
yngblkgifted
Posts: 1049
Joined: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:57 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby yngblkgifted » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:07 am

Kohinoor wrote:
jcunni5 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:I've lived in VA for a substantial part of my life, but I have also lived in the North east.
I know for a fact that the undergrad is extremely segregated, not unlike the majority of VA. I would assume that the law school is different considering it probably has more out of state students. Is Mr. Jefferson's school racist? Since it's not a black and white issue (pun intended), it depends...

For instance, a black guy from Mississippi may say "Wow, UVA seems very welcoming to minorities," a black guy from Boston may say "Wow, what the fuck is up with all of this racial hostility at this school?" and someone like I am, from VA, would probably say "well, that's Virginia for you." It is all relative. At the end of the day, one should go to school where they feel most comfortable for whatever reason (or where they get the most money/highest ranking :lol:).

Just my .02


if you know people from Boston or how Boston is they would probably think UVA was a bastion of racial harmony haha, seriously i've encountered far more racist sentiments in Chicago (where i'm from) than UVA it's not even close really, it's kinda laughable that people think northern cities aren't racist, this may be true of the affluent parts of those cities but if you go to the more blue collar areas you'll find it to be quite a different story

Seriously though people of all races are very much accepted at our school, it's really not an issue...
I'm from Boston. UVa isn't a bastion of racial harmony.


Yes! My first piece of anecdotal evidence to support my claim.

User avatar
Malcolm8X
Posts: 224
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 2:56 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby Malcolm8X » Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:21 am

jcunni5 wrote:
yngblkgifted wrote:I've lived in VA for a substantial part of my life, but I have also lived in the North east.
I know for a fact that the undergrad is extremely segregated, not unlike the majority of VA. I would assume that the law school is different considering it probably has more out of state students. Is Mr. Jefferson's school racist? Since it's not a black and white issue (pun intended), it depends...

For instance, a black guy from Mississippi may say "Wow, UVA seems very welcoming to minorities," a black guy from Boston may say "Wow, what the fuck is up with all of this racial hostility at this school?" and someone like I am, from VA, would probably say "well, that's Virginia for you." It is all relative. At the end of the day, one should go to school where they feel most comfortable for whatever reason (or where they get the most money/highest ranking :lol:).

Just my .02


if you know people from Boston or how Boston is they would probably think UVA was a bastion of racial harmony haha, seriously i've encountered far more racist sentiments in Chicago (where i'm from) than UVA it's not even close really, it's kinda laughable that people think northern cities aren't racist, this may be true of the affluent parts of those cities but if you go to the more blue collar areas you'll find it to be quite a different story

Seriously though people of all races are very much accepted at our school, it's really not an issue...


Yea I heard about Chicago. With hardcore racism in Cicero and super projects like Cabrini Green (just got torn down I heard). King got hit with a rock there and he said it was the worst hatred he's seen! I know it's not that bad anymore, but dang, I didn't know the racism is still common.

User avatar
jcunni5
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:51 pm

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby jcunni5 » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:28 am

Maybe so. I've never have actually been to Boston, I just figured it was the perfect city to make my point because it is the most northern major city on the east coast and people (whether rightly or wrongly) tend to assume that the farther you go north, the less racism you encounter. I know racism exists everywhere, but I was just making some light-hearted generalizations :lol: . To be clear, are you referring to the Law school or the undergrad? I can't speak for the law school, but to say racism isn't really an issue at the undergrad.....well, from what I've heard and experienced first hand, idk about all of that....but hey it's all relative.
[/quote]

I was referring to the LS, i don't really know much about the UG....

Kohinoor, do u agree though that racial tensions in Boston are pretty high, i had a friend from the Dot who told me this kinda of stuff all the time, and when i went to Boston the bus driver was saying some racist stuff very openly, so that's where i'm getting my impression from.. I also heard that Southie has alot of issues as well with race stuff ( i know they resisted school integration hard back in the 70's)

here's some anecdotal evidence from the Freakonomics blog: --LinkRemoved--

Yea I heard about Chicago. With hardcore racism in Cicero and super projects like Cabrini Green (just got torn down I heard). King got hit with a rock there and he said it was the worst hatred he's seen! I know it's not that bad anymore, but dang, I didn't know the racism is still common.


Chicago was really horrible in the past, it has gotten slightly better but i'll put how bad the race relations are there against any southern state .... the racism usually cuts both ways though and that's why there so many extreme people like Louis Farrakhan and Rev. Wright out of Chi

Also Chicago usually tops the list as the most segregated city in the country (which probably says something):
http://www.thechicago77.com/2009/01/chicago-is-americas-most-segregated-city/ ,
i'm not sure if segregation is a good proxy for racism, but on this list the top ten most segregated cities are all in the north http://www.censusscope.org/us/print_rank_dissimilarity_white_black.html

User avatar
hokie
Posts: 339
Joined: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:32 am

Re: Any UVA Law Students Want to Weigh In On This?

Postby hokie » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:46 am

,
Last edited by hokie on Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Wildcat04 and 3 guests