Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby bostonlawchick » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:56 pm

mettasutta wrote:How amenable is BC to merit aid negotiation? I was just accepted yesterday; although I have not received my acceptance package yet, I'm not expecting much (or anything) based on what I've seen on the LSN charts of people who got in with numbers similar to mine. I have sizable scholarships from T30 schools to use as leverage, FWIW.


I'm a 0L who was admitted at the beginning of March when I had absolutely no hope of getting in. I emailed about my UIUC and WUSTL scholarships, and just got 22k for the first year from BC the other day. The award description stated that it was for a combination of merit and need though, so I dunno.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:00 pm

mettasutta wrote:How amenable is BC to merit aid negotiation? I was just accepted yesterday; although I have not received my acceptance package yet, I'm not expecting much (or anything) based on what I've seen on the LSN charts of people who got in with numbers similar to mine. I have sizable scholarships from T30 schools to use as leverage, FWIW.


Congrats on the acceptance! Did they already tell you no merit?
I'd definitely give it a shot; I know some people who negotiated aid by leveraging other offers. Given that you're already in you have nothing to lose by trying. Also, you're definitely right in wanting to get on this ASAP, soon their fund will be exhausted and you'll get an automatic no.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:01 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:
mettasutta wrote:How amenable is BC to merit aid negotiation? I was just accepted yesterday; although I have not received my acceptance package yet, I'm not expecting much (or anything) based on what I've seen on the LSN charts of people who got in with numbers similar to mine. I have sizable scholarships from T30 schools to use as leverage, FWIW.


I'm a 0L who was admitted at the beginning of March when I had absolutely no hope of getting in. I emailed about my UIUC and WUSTL scholarships, and just got 22k for the first year from BC the other day. The award description stated that it was for a combination of merit and need though, so I dunno.


That's really interesting. Did they guarantee any part of it beyond the first year? Usually only need is year-to-year.

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby dakatz » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:05 pm

mettasutta wrote:How amenable is BC to merit aid negotiation? I was just accepted yesterday; although I have not received my acceptance package yet, I'm not expecting much (or anything) based on what I've seen on the LSN charts of people who got in with numbers similar to mine. I have sizable scholarships from T30 schools to use as leverage, FWIW.


BC had given me zero merit money whereas comparable schools gave me 25K/year, 30K/year, 35K/year, etc. I was absolutely certain they would cough up something, but they didn't give me a penny. Made it pretty easy to toss my BC letter in the trash.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:15 pm

dakatz wrote:
mettasutta wrote:How amenable is BC to merit aid negotiation? I was just accepted yesterday; although I have not received my acceptance package yet, I'm not expecting much (or anything) based on what I've seen on the LSN charts of people who got in with numbers similar to mine. I have sizable scholarships from T30 schools to use as leverage, FWIW.


BC had given me zero merit money whereas comparable schools gave me 25K/year, 30K/year, 35K/year, etc. I was absolutely certain they would cough up something, but they didn't give me a penny. Made it pretty easy to toss my BC letter in the trash.


This surprises me with your stats and status. Sounds like they were trying to get you on the cheap.

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby mettasutta » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:24 pm

sullidop wrote:
mettasutta wrote:How amenable is BC to merit aid negotiation? I was just accepted yesterday; although I have not received my acceptance package yet, I'm not expecting much (or anything) based on what I've seen on the LSN charts of people who got in with numbers similar to mine. I have sizable scholarships from T30 schools to use as leverage, FWIW.


Congrats on the acceptance! Did they already tell you no merit?
I'd definitely give it a shot; I know some people who negotiated aid by leveraging other offers. Given that you're already in you have nothing to lose by trying. Also, you're definitely right in wanting to get on this ASAP, soon their fund will be exhausted and you'll get an automatic no.


I haven't gotten my acceptance packet yet, so I don't know, but my scholly prospects don't seem promising based on the profiles of accepted applicants on LSN who had numbers similar to mine. I'm pretty hesitant to pay sticker at BC, especially since I'm interested in PI/gov't work and have merit aid from peer schools in regions that have lower COL. BC's placement stats do blow the other T30s out of the water, though...

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Sat Apr 02, 2011 5:54 pm

mettasutta wrote:
sullidop wrote:
mettasutta wrote:How amenable is BC to merit aid negotiation? I was just accepted yesterday; although I have not received my acceptance package yet, I'm not expecting much (or anything) based on what I've seen on the LSN charts of people who got in with numbers similar to mine. I have sizable scholarships from T30 schools to use as leverage, FWIW.


Congrats on the acceptance! Did they already tell you no merit?
I'd definitely give it a shot; I know some people who negotiated aid by leveraging other offers. Given that you're already in you have nothing to lose by trying. Also, you're definitely right in wanting to get on this ASAP, soon their fund will be exhausted and you'll get an automatic no.


I haven't gotten my acceptance packet yet, so I don't know, but my scholly prospects don't seem promising based on the profiles of accepted applicants on LSN who had numbers similar to mine. I'm pretty hesitant to pay sticker at BC, especially since I'm interested in PI/gov't work and have merit aid from peer schools in regions that have lower COL. BC's placement stats do blow the other T30s out of the water, though...


I understand your apprehension. Definitely shoot them an email asking for a timeframe re scholarship and inform them of your other offers. First deposit deadlines are approaching (I think?) so you can use that as justification for pushing.

ylnechev
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby ylnechev » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:22 pm

Although I was originally did not get any merit aid from bc, I was able to negotiate a small scholarship from them. Stupid me immediately wrote them an email accepting it. What do guys think about sending them an email to try and get a little more? Pushy/annoying? OK? I will probably go anyway since it is a very good school, but I would like to see if they are willing to give more. Suggestions?

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:30 pm

ylnechev wrote:Although I was originally did not get any merit aid from bc, I was able to negotiate a small scholarship from them. Stupid me immediately wrote them an email accepting it. What do guys think about sending them an email to try and get a little more? Pushy/annoying? OK? I will probably go anyway since it is a very good school, but I would like to see if they are willing to give more. Suggestions?


Yikes, that's a tough position to be in. If you feel comfortable doing so, feel free to try and get more. It would probably help if there was some sort of changed circumstance forcing your hand (new acceptance/more money somewhere else).
I wouldn't worry about feeling douche-y, admissions knows that this is a game. If they don't want to give you additional money, they won't.

ylnechev
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby ylnechev » Mon Apr 04, 2011 4:36 pm

What exactly do you mean by tough position? Because I accepted their previous offer already? I am content with where I stand now, but at the end of the day, what do I have to lose?

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby bostonlawchick » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:05 pm

sullidop wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:
mettasutta wrote:How amenable is BC to merit aid negotiation? I was just accepted yesterday; although I have not received my acceptance package yet, I'm not expecting much (or anything) based on what I've seen on the LSN charts of people who got in with numbers similar to mine. I have sizable scholarships from T30 schools to use as leverage, FWIW.


I'm a 0L who was admitted at the beginning of March when I had absolutely no hope of getting in. I emailed about my UIUC and WUSTL scholarships, and just got 22k for the first year from BC the other day. The award description stated that it was for a combination of merit and need though, so I dunno.


That's really interesting. Did they guarantee any part of it beyond the first year? Usually only need is year-to-year.


In the award description it says it is renewable for three years provided I remain in good academic standing and have continued need. I'm not sure if I will qualify for need next year though as I'm getting married and my fiancé will be getting a new job when we move to Boston.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:10 pm

ylnechev wrote:What exactly do you mean by tough position? Because I accepted their previous offer already? I am content with where I stand now, but at the end of the day, what do I have to lose?


Right, because you already agreed to it. You are correct though, you have nothing to lose. Just word your follow-up very carefully.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:12 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:
sullidop wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:
mettasutta wrote:How amenable is BC to merit aid negotiation? I was just accepted yesterday; although I have not received my acceptance package yet, I'm not expecting much (or anything) based on what I've seen on the LSN charts of people who got in with numbers similar to mine. I have sizable scholarships from T30 schools to use as leverage, FWIW.


I'm a 0L who was admitted at the beginning of March when I had absolutely no hope of getting in. I emailed about my UIUC and WUSTL scholarships, and just got 22k for the first year from BC the other day. The award description stated that it was for a combination of merit and need though, so I dunno.


That's really interesting. Did they guarantee any part of it beyond the first year? Usually only need is year-to-year.


In the award description it says it is renewable for three years provided I remain in good academic standing and have continued need. I'm not sure if I will qualify for need next year though as I'm getting married and my fiancé will be getting a new job when we move to Boston.

Interesting, it looks like they're splitting the need (continued need) and merit (good standing). I'd ask for a break down to see which is which.

ylnechev
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby ylnechev » Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:55 pm

Haha why very carefully? How would I phrase it very carefully? As long as I am not rude, it should be ok right?

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:32 pm

ylnechev wrote:Haha why very carefully? How would I phrase it very carefully? As long as I am not rude, it should be ok right?

I wouldn't bring up the fact that you did a little negotiating already. Just address the package as it is and go from there.

FiveSermon
Posts: 1507
Joined: Tue Dec 14, 2010 6:56 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby FiveSermon » Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:33 pm

Did you also apply to BU? If so what made you choose BC over BU? If not ignore this question.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:06 pm

FiveSermon wrote:Did you also apply to BU? If so what made you choose BC over BU? If not ignore this question.


While BC & BU are similar on paper, they have a very different feel. BU is more serious/studious and BC is more relaxed/collegiate. Some people need a more rigid, competitive environment to excel/push themselves. I do not.
I knew a girl that didn't go to BC because she thought it was too "bro-ish" and dominated by "good old boys". That's somewhat of a valid observation in that it captures the fact that BC doesn't take itself too seriously. The average BC student isn't here because they want to lose themselves in the law, they just want a JD to foster professional or personal development.
The above isn't necessarily extremely apparent during visits though. What pushed me over the edge, then, was my visit to the BU admission's office. I talked with an admissions officer who snappily demanded to know where I got in and how much money I was getting only to mention that their scholarship fund was exhausted so it would be a waste to ask for anything more. I refused to attend a place that had this as their face.
While I greatly respect BU as an institution, I made the right decision for me.

ylnechev
Posts: 22
Joined: Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:45 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby ylnechev » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:02 am

Going back to the housing question...I know that many students live in cleveland circle and coolidge corner, but are there a lot of students in boston "proper?" Do many students live in back bay or fenway or brookline without a car? I am interested in living in these more central areas of Boston. I will not have a car but I do not mind commuting 40 minutes to school/social events. Do you guys think that commuting 40 minutes to school/social outings would be manageable in law school/as a 1L?

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:22 pm

ylnechev wrote:Going back to the housing question...I know that many students live in cleveland circle and coolidge corner, but are there a lot of students in boston "proper?" Do many students live in back bay or fenway or brookline without a car? I am interested in living in these more central areas of Boston. I will not have a car but I do not mind commuting 40 minutes to school/social events. Do you guys think that commuting 40 minutes to school/social outings would be manageable in law school/as a 1L?


I know a few (although not many) people that live in Brookline without a car, but not boston. Brookline is convenient (somewhat) because you can just take the b or c lines to cleveland circle and hop on the bus from there. If you're much further out, is going to be a big hassle and get old fast.
While I support living in an area that you're comfortable with, I think that living in Fenway or beyond would be too far and somewhat isolating from your fellow classmates.

Eagles1986L
Posts: 13
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:47 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby Eagles1986L » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:43 pm

With regards to $$, if you have other offers, I'd encourage you to negotiate. I am deciding between BC and BU, so I emailed both schools asking if they could offer me any merit scholarship money and attached my other offers. BU responded that they would consider my request but could not guarantee an answer by 4/15. BC responded with a $15k/year email.

User avatar
coldshoulder
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby coldshoulder » Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:11 pm

BU v. BC - looking primarily for two differences. Col and how much do you like living farther from the city at bc compared to bu? Also, for placement into Boston big law, is it true that opportunities for similar ranked students are about the same? Thanks.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Sun Apr 10, 2011 11:27 am

coldshoulder wrote:BU v. BC - looking primarily for two differences. Col and how much do you like living farther from the city at bc compared to bu? Also, for placement into Boston big law, is it true that opportunities for similar ranked students are about the same? Thanks.

BC allows you to park on campus for $245 a year. If have a car and drive to school then you can reduce your rent from about $800 a month (T/bus accessible area) in Allston/Brighton to about $650 a month (Newton/Somerville/Brighton Center), depending on they accommodations you choose (these are per person in a 2/3 bed).
It's probably about the same for BU, but I don't know what their parking situation is on campus. I'd check on a BU thread for that info.
Personally I prefer to live a little further away from the city because I would spend a lot of money if I lived closer. So for budgetary reasons alone, definitely my preference. That being said, as soon as I get out of law school I'm moving downtown.
You're correct in believing they have equivalent placement stats. Choosing between the two is really a matter of personal preference. Visit both and decide.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby Perch » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:48 pm

coldshoulder wrote:BU v. BC - looking primarily for two differences. Col and how much do you like living farther from the city at bc compared to bu? Also, for placement into Boston big law, is it true that opportunities for similar ranked students are about the same? Thanks.


edit: removed post because I apparently can't read, thanks for the advice above!
Last edited by Perch on Wed Apr 13, 2011 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:32 pm

Perch wrote:
coldshoulder wrote:BU v. BC - looking primarily for two differences. Col and how much do you like living farther from the city at bc compared to bu? Also, for placement into Boston big law, is it true that opportunities for similar ranked students are about the same? Thanks.


+1


Were you looking for something more than what I posted above?

User avatar
coldshoulder
Posts: 963
Joined: Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:05 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby coldshoulder » Wed Apr 13, 2011 10:46 pm

Any knowledge of motorcycle parking at bc?




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests