Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
JusticeHarlan

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Postby JusticeHarlan » Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:48 am

BCLS Alum wrote:
LawSchoolChampion wrote:How religious is BC?

I know that the school associates itself with religion, but does that come across from the student body? The faculty? The teachers?

I'm from Boston and would like to return for law school. Trying to decide between BC and BU.

It is not very religious. When on the undergrad campus, you'll notice the occasional priest walking around, but that is about it. BC and Georgetown are pretty well known for being less religious than your typical catholic university (Notre Dame, etc.). It is also extremely liberal, but being someone from Boston, I am sure you already know most of the Boston area schools have that liberal atmosphere.

I couldn't tell you much about the make-up of the student body becuase no one ever really discussed religion.

As for between BC and BU, there are a number of threads on the subject you check out. I had to choose between the two myself and chose BC even though BU offered more money. You'll find people who did the same or did the opposite. It is all a matter of personal preference. I highly suggest you visit each school to get a good feel.

Agreed. You could walk around the law school and nothing would suggest to you that it's affiliated with any religious institution. The main differences between the schools will come down to fit.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:46 pm

The TLS description of BC's religious atmosphere is accurate (it was taken from this thread):

"Religion

Technically, Boston College is a Catholic school, and the law school is proud of this distinction: according to the mission statement, “Boston College and its law school are rooted in the Jesuit tradition of service to God and others.” For the average student, however, BC’s religious affiliation is unlikely to make much of a difference unless he or she actively pursues it. As one student writes:

BC is a Jesuit university, so they're on the more liberal end of Catholic thinking. Although the undergrads have to take some theology coursework, none is required for JD students (classes and writing opportunities on Law & Religion are available). BC would never force students to attend religious services, and the overwhelming majority of students decline to do so."

The quote from this blurb responded to an applicant asking what the religious atmosphere was like and if attending services was mandatory.

LawSchoolChampion

Postby LawSchoolChampion » Sun Aug 28, 2011 3:19 pm

Thanks guys!

I'll be up there this Summer so I'll take a trip to both schools.

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:48 pm

Any fellow 1Ls here in Section 3? Who else hates Plater's Property class?

Sullidop and the rest - any suggestions on how to crack Plater?

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:43 pm

Unfortunately I didn't have Plater, but if you do the reading you'll be ahead of the curve. I guarantee it.

zonto

Postby zonto » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:25 pm

Can you elaborate on your last post Sulli? Why is that the case?

thesteelers

Postby thesteelers » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:51 pm

I'd like to know why too sullidop, if you don't mind?

zonto, are you in section 3? don't worry, you don't have to reveal your identity to me if you don't want to, I don't plan to reveal mine!

To the prospectives - don't be scared off by what I said about Plater. He's brilliant, just crazy. I love all my other professors at BC though.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Wed Sep 07, 2011 9:58 am

Because the majority of students don't read the assignments. If you do and pay attention in class, you'll be able to incorporate subtlties of the decisions with the professor's lecture resulting in a better understanding of the material. This will pay off on the final. Basic advice, but true.

minnbills

Postby minnbills » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:54 pm

sullidop wrote:Because the majority of students don't read the assignments. If you do and pay attention in class, you'll be able to incorporate subtlties of the decisions with the professor's lecture resulting in a better understanding of the material. This will pay off on the final. Basic advice, but true.

Wait most people don't read the cases?

:shock:

sandwichday

Postby sandwichday » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:38 pm

Somewhat on that note, what would you say was the most important key to doing well for you? Did you use any supplements, did you feel that going to lecture was important? Doing the reading? Skipping the reading? Office hours? I've heard from a lot of people that supplements weren't necessary but that always going to class was key. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated!!

SnakesOnAReggieWayne

Postby SnakesOnAReggieWayne » Sun Sep 11, 2011 6:48 pm

any 2L's or 3L's that know any good tips for doing well with Lyons (Property), Katz (Contracts), Spiegel (Civ Pro), and Wells (Torts)? Also, where can we get old exams? and, is there somewhere other than eaglei to get old outlines?

thanks in advance

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:10 pm

sandwichday wrote:Somewhat on that note, what would you say was the most important key to doing well for you? Did you use any supplements, did you feel that going to lecture was important? Doing the reading? Skipping the reading? Office hours? I've heard from a lot of people that supplements weren't necessary but that always going to class was key. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated!!

Professors always test from their lectures. Depending on the professor, the text and supplements may inform your knowledge of the material such that you better absorb the lectures. The key, however, is to fully grasp the lectures.
Generally speaking, I don't find supplements helpful but do read the assigned case book pages.

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:11 pm

SnakesOnAReggieWayne wrote:any 2L's or 3L's that know any good tips for doing well with Lyons (Property), Katz (Contracts), Spiegel (Civ Pro), and Wells (Torts)? Also, where can we get old exams? and, is there somewhere other than eaglei to get old outlines?

thanks in advance

http://www.outlinedepot.com

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:58 am

sullidop wrote:
sandwichday wrote:Somewhat on that note, what would you say was the most important key to doing well for you? Did you use any supplements, did you feel that going to lecture was important? Doing the reading? Skipping the reading? Office hours? I've heard from a lot of people that supplements weren't necessary but that always going to class was key. Any thoughts you have would be appreciated!!

Professors always test from their lectures. Depending on the professor, the text and supplements may inform your knowledge of the material such that you better absorb the lectures. The key, however, is to fully grasp the lectures.
Generally speaking, I don't find supplements helpful but do read the assigned case book pages.

+1, though obviously each professor is going to be somewhat different.

caligirl07

Postby caligirl07 » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:41 am

SnakesOnAReggieWayne wrote:any 2L's or 3L's that know any good tips for doing well with Lyons (Property), Katz (Contracts), Spiegel (Civ Pro), and Wells (Torts)? Also, where can we get old exams? and, is there somewhere other than eaglei to get old outlines?

thanks in advance

I had Lyons, Katz (only for Family Law), Spiegel and Wells. Here is my two cents:

Lyons is a mad man. Do the reading and take notes BEFORE going to call. He goes through the material really fast so it's almost impossible to take done everything he says. His exam is 7 hours open-book, open-note, open-computer notes so make sure you have excellent notes. During the exam (taken at home) you'll be able to search through your notes and find anything you need. I did excellent in his class and i'm sure it was because i took amazing book notes all semester. His property class was my favorite so far at BC.

Katz is crazy. He tells stories that have absolutely nothing to do with the subject and he yells for no reason (usually not at anyone in particular). I've heard that in contracts all you'll basically learn is offer-acceptance-consideration. I think if you do the reading and pay attention in class to his quirky things, you'll do fine. I've heard his grading depends on his mood that day.

Speigel's class really drags on for the first month or so, but once you get to the second semester you'll start to fly through. Don't wait until second semester to try to outline- you'll regret it when you have two weeks to outline a whole years worth of classes. Use the E&E and do the practice problems after you complete each section. His exam was probably the most difficult because he crams SOO much material in.

Wells was probably my least favorite professor. I didn’t like her teaching style at all and I thought she was a little too hand-holdly. I learned everything from the E&E and “Law in a Flash” cards. I did well in her class, but I’m convinced it is because no one knew what was going on. On her exams she wants you to go through each step and say why it does or doesn’t apply. Go over an exam answer with her and you’ll do fine. But if you don’t format your exam this way, I guarantee you won’t do well.

Good luck!

sandwichday

Postby sandwichday » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:49 pm

Anyone have tips on Liu for Property, McMorrow for Torts, or Rogers for Contracts? Or any information on how OCI is going so far this year in general for the 2Ls? Thanks so much for all your help!!

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:54 am

sandwichday wrote:Anyone have tips on Liu for Property, McMorrow for Torts, or Rogers for Contracts? Or any information on how OCI is going so far this year in general for the 2Ls? Thanks so much for all your help!!

I had Liu. His exam is the standard 1/3 spotter, 1/3 policy, 1/3 hybrid. Just pay attention in class and make note of 1) the distinctions he makes between policy consideration and 2) the black letter law that he mentions. When it comes to the test, write what you believe in when he asks how a court should come out or what policy is more important. Although Liu is extremely activist, your arguments will come off more genuine/coherent if you stand by your beliefs.
Last edited by sullidop on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

where2next

Postby where2next » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:18 am

Bump...would really like to hear more about trying to prepare for Katz's contracts. He is all over the place.

Are some of his old exams available somewhere?

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Mon Sep 19, 2011 1:37 pm

where2next wrote:Bump...would really like to hear more about trying to prepare for Katz's contracts. He is all over the place.

Are some of his old exams available somewhere?

Professors will often distribute exams in December or will release them from library reserve around that time. There's no point in looking at one until you're substantially done with your coursework...it will confuse and scare you. Just know that you'll be asked to spot legal issues, evaluate the legal questions they present, and defend the public policy considerations.

marmot8

Postby marmot8 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:36 am

Anyone have Plater for Property? Recommendations on the best method for taking notes in preparation for his exam?

micwrecka45

Postby micwrecka45 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:58 pm

marmot8 wrote:Anyone have Plater for Property? Recommendations on the best method for taking notes in preparation for his exam?

I had Plater. What you can't handle his stream-of-consciousness style of teaching? :wink:

Use the Gilbert Krier Property supplement. It was a life-saver for organizing the concepts.

You get 7.5 hours for a take-home exam that he will claim you should be able to do in 3 hours. EVERYONE takes all or most of the 7.5 hours to get through the exam. His essay questions are not any different then the typical issue-spotters. His multiple choice section is brutally tricky though. Don't be a "swooper" as he likes to call them. Read the questions very very carefully word for word. There are tricks and traps galore.

zonto

Postby zonto » Thu Oct 06, 2011 10:40 am

Oh wise sages, what say ye regarding signing up for bar review now as a 1L? Do rates really go up that much before the time we'll actually need to study for the bar exam?

Is BARBRI recommended over Kaplan? Any other advice?

Thanks in advance. :D

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:11 am

Aaaaahhhhhhhhhh Bar Review companies trying to lock you into a price eh? To answer this question you must consider two things: who's paying and where are you taking the bar?

If you're not paying for the bar review course, then it won't make a difference. Firms generally pay for a bar review class, regardless of the cost. You can sign up now and get reimbursed in 3 years if you want to, but don't be swayed by Barbri's offer of study materials and MPRE lectures, they're mostly useless. If you are, then it'll obviously be advantageous to lock in a rate now and save a couple hundred in three years.

The general opinion seems is that Barbri's the most comprehensive review course. Consequently, their outrageous prices may be worth it if you're taking it in CA, NY, etc. For jurisdictions like Passachusetts, maybe Barbri isn't necessary--cheaper alternatives such as Kaplan or Themis could do the job.

sandwichday

Postby sandwichday » Sun Oct 16, 2011 5:26 pm

Any ideas on how OCI is going for the 2Ls this year? I was also wondering what kind of options are available for those who end up at or around median or below. Careers Services seems very focused on large firm recruiting and fellowships, which seem to be largely geared towards those around top 25% or above. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

sullidop

Postby sullidop » Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:51 pm

sandwichday wrote:Any ideas on how OCI is going for the 2Ls this year? I was also wondering what kind of options are available for those who end up at or around median or below. Careers Services seems very focused on large firm recruiting and fellowships, which seem to be largely geared towards those around top 25% or above. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

That's a good question. Are you paying attention to the PI interviews on campus this week?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”