Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sandwichday
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:58 am

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sandwichday » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:00 pm

I know there is a gym of sorts on the law school campus, but do they offer any classes there, like spinning or yoga or whatever? Or are those only at the gym on main campus? Thanks!!

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:44 am

sandwichday wrote:I know there is a gym of sorts on the law school campus, but do they offer any classes there, like spinning or yoga or whatever? Or are those only at the gym on main campus? Thanks!!

I believe those are only on the main campus.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby Perch » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:54 am

So what's the consensus- do we buy laptops at the school bookstore or just on our own? I'll be getting a Mac (either 13" MacBook pro or MacBook air) and want it to be all set up and ready when classes start.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:27 pm

Perch wrote:So what's the consensus- do we buy laptops at the school bookstore or just on our own? I'll be getting a Mac (either 13" MacBook pro or MacBook air) and want it to be all set up and ready when classes start.


Compare the prices/incentives from the bookstore and apple's back to school promotion. The pre-bundled software from BC isn't anything you can't download for free.

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby Perch » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:18 pm

sullidop wrote:
Perch wrote:So what's the consensus- do we buy laptops at the school bookstore or just on our own? I'll be getting a Mac (either 13" MacBook pro or MacBook air) and want it to be all set up and ready when classes start.


Compare the prices/incentives from the bookstore and apple's back to school promotion. The pre-bundled software from BC isn't anything you can't download for free.


Think I'll be getting it through the apple store...BC requires you purchase a bundle, which includes AppleCare, an Ethernet cord and a printer, at a cost of $300 more (or so haven't exactly compared yet). Plus through the apple store you get $100 towards the App Store, which is a plus for sure.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:11 pm

Perch wrote:
sullidop wrote:
Perch wrote:So what's the consensus- do we buy laptops at the school bookstore or just on our own? I'll be getting a Mac (either 13" MacBook pro or MacBook air) and want it to be all set up and ready when classes start.


Compare the prices/incentives from the bookstore and apple's back to school promotion. The pre-bundled software from BC isn't anything you can't download for free.


Think I'll be getting it through the apple store...BC requires you purchase a bundle, which includes AppleCare, an Ethernet cord and a printer, at a cost of $300 more (or so haven't exactly compared yet). Plus through the apple store you get $100 towards the App Store, which is a plus for sure.


I also bought my 13" mbp at the Apple Store, it was cheaper and I got a free ipod touch. Lol @ BC's bundle. I don't even remember the last time I used an ethernet cable. Definitely consider getting a laser printer though. I have a b/w Brother laser printer and it's awesome. You do not want to be printing out hundreds of pages on an inkjet at home, it takes too long and the ink is crazy expensive. I've yet to replace a cartidge of toner.

thesteelers
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 6:06 am

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby thesteelers » Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:40 pm

So I was searching for our first semester classes (apart from LRRW and Civ Pro) on the website but couldn't find them anywhere. I know Contracts is one of our first semester classes, but I can't remember the rest. Do you know where I can find that information?

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby bostonlawchick » Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:17 am

thesteelers wrote:So I was searching for our first semester classes (apart from LRRW and Civ Pro) on the website but couldn't find them anywhere. I know Contracts is one of our first semester classes, but I can't remember the rest. Do you know where I can find that information?


Torts and property I believe. Somewhere on agora is a link to a listing of all classes being offered next semester with times and professors.

thesteelers
Posts: 218
Joined: Sun May 01, 2011 6:06 am

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby thesteelers » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:42 am

Awesome, thanks. Yeah I should've looked at Agora. I checked BC's page on the 1L curriculum and they had all the classes listed but they didn't say which classes are in fall, which are in spring.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:06 am

thesteelers wrote:Awesome, thanks. Yeah I should've looked at Agora. I checked BC's page on the 1L curriculum and they had all the classes listed but they didn't say which classes are in fall, which are in spring.


On occassion they've switched out contracts for crim...it really depends on professor availability. You're right though, the typical first semester course load is torts, prop, contracts, civ pro, and lrrw.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:35 pm

Updated name of thread. Hope that doesn't mess anyone up.

skippy1
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Postby skippy1 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:40 pm

Does anyone know when loans will come in? I'm planning to purchase textbooks on Aug 28th - will I need to pay for these out of my pocket or would loans have been disbursed by then?

User avatar
bostonlawchick
Posts: 439
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:20 pm

skippy1 wrote:Does anyone know when loans will come in? I'm planning to purchase textbooks on Aug 28th - will I need to pay for these out of my pocket or would loans have been disbursed by then?


I think they said in a recent email that if you have direct deposit info in by mid month the earliest they will be in will be the 31st.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:30 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:
skippy1 wrote:Does anyone know when loans will come in? I'm planning to purchase textbooks on Aug 28th - will I need to pay for these out of my pocket or would loans have been disbursed by then?


I think they said in a recent email that if you have direct deposit info in by mid month the earliest they will be in will be the 31st.


"Refunds of Financial Aid

Due to disbursement regulations you will not have access to a refund of your aid until Wednesday, August 31 at the earliest. Therefore, you need to return to school prepared to finance your initial living expenses on your own. For instructions on applying for a refund go to:

http://www.bc.edu/offices/stserv/financ ... funds.html "

I'd set up your refund profile soon. After you request reimbursement there will be a lag between the request and the wire hitting your account.

skippy1
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Postby skippy1 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:13 pm

When do we get assigned to sections?

mettasutta
Posts: 312
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:25 am

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Postby mettasutta » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:44 pm

skippy1 wrote:When do we get assigned to sections?


According to the admin of the BC Law class of 2014 page on facebook, late next week.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:32 pm

mettasutta wrote:
skippy1 wrote:When do we get assigned to sections?


According to the admin of the BC Law class of 2014 page on facebook, late next week.


Yeah, it's always mid-August. It'll be noted in the last 2 digits of your course number when those are available.

skippy1
Posts: 96
Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2010 1:56 am

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Postby skippy1 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 6:12 pm

Any thoughts on renting textbooks vs buying them? We got a memo about renting textbooks and it seems that highlighting is ok. But it also states that books should be "usable" when returned. Not sure how to interpret this - wouldn't highlighting make the text unusable?

User avatar
zonto
Posts: 480
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:20 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Postby zonto » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:05 pm

skippy1 wrote:Any thoughts on renting textbooks vs buying them? We got a memo about renting textbooks and it seems that highlighting is ok. But it also states that books should be "usable" when returned. Not sure how to interpret this - wouldn't highlighting make the text unusable?


Good discussion on this on the Facebook group.

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:39 pm

zonto wrote:
skippy1 wrote:Any thoughts on renting textbooks vs buying them? We got a memo about renting textbooks and it seems that highlighting is ok. But it also states that books should be "usable" when returned. Not sure how to interpret this - wouldn't highlighting make the text unusable?


Good discussion on this on the Facebook group.


Yes there is.

User avatar
JusticeHarlan
Posts: 1434
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:56 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Postby JusticeHarlan » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:11 pm

skippy1 wrote:Any thoughts on renting textbooks vs buying them? We got a memo about renting textbooks and it seems that highlighting is ok. But it also states that books should be "usable" when returned. Not sure how to interpret this - wouldn't highlighting make the text unusable?

I found renting to be a good deal - got a new copy, highlighted it all I wanted, no problems when I returned it.

tepper
Posts: 124
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:18 am

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Postby tepper » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:22 am

Hey guys, I have a question about the BC shuttle, can someone please tell me where exactly is the "chiswick road" stop? Where exactly does it stop? I have attached the bus route link here:

http://www.bc.edu/offices/transportatio ... route.html

Thanks!

sullidop
Posts: 351
Joined: Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:02 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Postby sullidop » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:01 pm

tepper wrote:Hey guys, I have a question about the BC shuttle, can someone please tell me where exactly is the "chiswick road" stop? Where exactly does it stop? I have attached the bus route link here:

http://www.bc.edu/offices/transportatio ... route.html

Thanks!


It stops at Chiswick Rd and Comm Ave (outbound from Boston side) by the Bluestone Bistro.

LawSchoolChampion
Posts: 133
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 11:41 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Postby LawSchoolChampion » Fri Aug 26, 2011 2:34 pm

How religious is BC?

I know that the school associates itself with religion, but does that come across from the student body? The faculty? The teachers?

I'm from Boston and would like to return for law school. Trying to decide between BC and BU.

BCLS Alum
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:58 pm

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Postby BCLS Alum » Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:09 pm

LawSchoolChampion wrote:How religious is BC?

I know that the school associates itself with religion, but does that come across from the student body? The faculty? The teachers?

I'm from Boston and would like to return for law school. Trying to decide between BC and BU.


It is not very religious. When on the undergrad campus, you'll notice the occasional priest walking around, but that is about it. BC and Georgetown are pretty well known for being less religious than your typical catholic university (Notre Dame, etc.). It is also extremely liberal, but being someone from Boston, I am sure you already know most of the Boston area schools have that liberal atmosphere.

I couldn't tell you much about the make-up of the student body becuase no one ever really discussed religion.

As for between BC and BU, there are a number of threads on the subject you check out. I had to choose between the two myself and chose BC even though BU offered more money. You'll find people who did the same or did the opposite. It is all a matter of personal preference. I highly suggest you visit each school to get a good feel.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests