Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
ldboston

New

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Post by ldboston » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:11 am

Sulli, you sorta answered this earlier, with the bars people go to, but I was wondering if you could say more about socializing off campus. I am almost positive I'll be at BC in the fall. I currently live in Somerville, and have never lived off the red line, so I'm trying to pick where I want to be on the green line. I want to make sure its convenient to school, but also that I won't isolate myself from nights out.

I am trying to avoid the B line if at all possible...was thinking the C line to take the shuttles from Cleveland circle. I do not have a car, but my SO does. Does that area sound reasonable for getting to social events/school?

Thanks!!

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:30 pm

ldboston wrote:Sulli, you sorta answered this earlier, with the bars people go to, but I was wondering if you could say more about socializing off campus. I am almost positive I'll be at BC in the fall. I currently live in Somerville, and have never lived off the red line, so I'm trying to pick where I want to be on the green line. I want to make sure its convenient to school, but also that I won't isolate myself from nights out.

I am trying to avoid the B line if at all possible...was thinking the C line to take the shuttles from Cleveland circle. I do not have a car, but my SO does. Does that area sound reasonable for getting to social events/school?

Thanks!!
You're right on in looking at the Cleveland Circle area. It's a short walk to the bus stops in that area (Reservoir Station, outside Bank of America on Chestnut Hill Ave, and corner of Comm Ave & Chestnut Hill Ave) and you'll have access to the B, C and D lines, so it'll be extremely easy for you to go out. You definitely won't be isolated in that area either, most students I know live in either Cleveland Circle or around the Allston Street stop on the B line (although in the latter case pretty much everyone has a car).
The only thing you'll need to consider is the environment of the neighborhood. Cleveland Circle is a student-heavy area, this is evidence by the commotion at 1am and the quality of the housing. So take a few days and spend a lot of time in the areas you're considering by both viewing apartments and walking around.

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:25 pm

Thanks for that.

Can you say anything about BC's need based aid? Do they give a fair amount of grants? BC is my top choice but I have some merit offers from Brooklyn Law and Northeastern to consider.

Also, what is your read on BC vs NUSL for jobs in the Boston area? My feeling is that that the BC name does make a difference, esp if I'm looking outside of public interest.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:33 pm

ldboston wrote:Thanks for that.

Can you say anything about BC's need based aid? Do they give a fair amount of grants? BC is my top choice but I have some merit offers from Brooklyn Law and Northeastern to consider.

Also, what is your read on BC vs NUSL for jobs in the Boston area? My feeling is that that the BC name does make a difference, esp if I'm looking outside of public interest.
I'm not really sure about the need-based aid at BC. It's not the kind of thing people really talk about on campus (occasionally you hear that someone got merit, bur rarely need), so it's hard to gauge. I was in a similar situation going to BC but I knew I wanted BigLaw, so the choice was a little easier.

With BC and Northeastern, you're really comparing, in my opinion, apples and oranges. For every 1 Northeastern kid at a big firm, there's probably 3-5 BC grads. While the spread certainly narrows as the firm gets smaller, the essential fact that BC retains a significant advantage in the private sector remains.
That being said, I hear Northeastern has a very good PI program that leverages the co-op externships well, but I don't know how that translates into job placement. I doubt it is significantly better than Suffolk in the Boston area.
I'm not sure how BC compares in this area, although I know a lot of people who seem to be landing government and PI summer jobs in fairly prestigious (DOJ, SEC, AG's Office, US Attorney's Office) places. My friends may not represent an accurate cross-section of the class, and who knows if these positions will translate into full-time ones.

A good resource to compare is here: --LinkRemoved-- Check out the summary charts for each school.

Hope that helps.

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Thu Mar 03, 2011 10:34 am

Thanks that is a great link to look through. I have similar ideas about Northeastern--it seems to me that BC still pulls more jobs in the Boston area and beyond. Also, I think I will really value the community at BC, and that factors into my decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:03 am

ldboston wrote:Thanks that is a great link to look through. I have similar ideas about Northeastern--it seems to me that BC still pulls more jobs in the Boston area and beyond. Also, I think I will really value the community at BC, and that factors into my decision.
Community is a huge consideration. Definitely visit both, take a tour, and ping students for questions while you're there.

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:06 am

I definitely will! I'm going to an admitted students/alum reception tonight for BC and will be at the open house. Hoping to get more insight by the end of the month.

Thanks!

JuliaHenry

New

Post by JuliaHenry » Thu Mar 03, 2011 3:42 pm

Any thoughts on living in Cambridge (with car)?

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:20 pm

JuliaHenry wrote:Any thoughts on living in Cambridge (with car)?
I love Cambridge. Harvard Sq, Porter Sq...all fun places. If you're near the red line it's an easy ride downtown.
The obvious downside is the distance to the law school, and the ever-present bridge traffic. Depending on where you're coming from, a 30 minute plus commute could be typical during rush hour, and probably never less than 20 minutes. I'd definitely look into Cambridge, but also take a few test commutes to see if it's something you'd be willing to put up with.
Alternatively, consider Newton Center...I think it has a similar feel.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

peacetrain89

New

Post by peacetrain89 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 5:24 pm

Hi--
I know there are a lot of questions about job placement outside of Boston--but I haven't seen any particular mention to Chicago. Do you know what job placement is like for BC Law grads in Chicago?

Also, I haven't gotten a chance to visit yet, but what is the location/campus of BC like? I know its about a mile away from the undergrad. campus, but apart from that I don't know much about it. Not that its a determining factor but I was just kind of curious.

Thanks! :)

lottero89

New

Post by lottero89 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:04 pm

Hi--
I know there are a lot of questions about job placement outside of Boston--but I haven't seen any particular mention to Chicago. Do you know what job placement is like for BC Law grads in Chicago?

+1

BushyPotter

New

Post by BushyPotter » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:53 am

Are there christians at BC? not a big deal if there aren't, just curious. Also, since BC is a Catholic school [correct me if I'm wrong] would I have to go to any mandatory church services? or take any religious classes? I'm a christian guy and I go to a secular university now, so going to school with people who have different or conflicting beliefs doesn't bother me, I was just wondering if I would have to compromise my faith to go there, if so, then no go lol...
Also, I want to work in CA after law school [right now I do, that may change once I go to law school], would it be possible to get a CA law firm or clerkship in CA after graduation? Do you know of any CA law firms going to BC to interview students?
How is the campus? [gorgeous, ugly, new, old, etc..]

predent/prelaw

Bronze

Post by predent/prelaw » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:39 am

BushyPotter wrote:Are there christians at BC? not a big deal if there aren't, just curious. Also, since BC is a Catholic school [correct me if I'm wrong] would I have to go to any mandatory church services? or take any religious classes? I'm a christian guy and I go to a secular university now, so going to school with people who have different or conflicting beliefs doesn't bother me, I was just wondering if I would have to compromise my faith to go there, if so, then no go lol...
Also, I want to work in CA after law school [right now I do, that may change once I go to law school], would it be possible to get a CA law firm or clerkship in CA after graduation? Do you know of any CA law firms going to BC to interview students?
The Catholic Church is the largest Christian church in the world. None of the other denominations would be around today if it was not for Catholicism carrying the religion for around 500 years.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:19 pm

peacetrain89 wrote:Hi--

Also, I haven't gotten a chance to visit yet, but what is the location/campus of BC like? I know its about a mile away from the undergrad. campus, but apart from that I don't know much about it. Not that its a determining factor but I was just kind of curious.

Thanks! :)
Sorry for getting back to you so late, we're on Spring Break this week and I was off the grid.

Re Chicago - I know that BC is affiliated with a recruiting thing in Chicago for the fall recruiting season. I don't think that any mid-size Chicago firms recruit on campus (although its possible that 1 or 2 do...no an area that I was interested in so I didn't pay attention to it). There are large firms at OCI that will allow you to specify their Chicago office. I really couldn't speculate on how many people place in Chicago. Admissions would be able to speak to this much better than I can.

BC Law's Campus is located about 1.5 miles from the main campus. Whereas the main campus straddles the Boston/Newton town line, the Law Campus is wholly in a residential area of newton on Centre Street. It shares the campus with about 40% of BC's freshman population and is a quick ride from public transportation (BC runs shuttles to the main campus and into the outer neighborhoods of Boston), shops, restaurants (esp in Newton Center), etc. It is by no means a city campus (although the city is easily accessible) and has a lot of green space. The buildings are mostly recent construction (mid/late 90s for the library and adjacent classrooms) and have all the common amenities that you would associate with a law school (wifi, powered desks, etc).

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:33 pm

BushyPotter wrote:Are there christians at BC? not a big deal if there aren't, just curious. Also, since BC is a Catholic school [correct me if I'm wrong] would I have to go to any mandatory church services? or take any religious classes? I'm a christian guy and I go to a secular university now, so going to school with people who have different or conflicting beliefs doesn't bother me, I was just wondering if I would have to compromise my faith to go there, if so, then no go lol...
Re Religion - BC is a Jesuit University, so they're on the more liberal end of catholic thinking (for example, my gf went to a catholic school that didn't serve meat on Fridays during Lent...not the case at BC). Although the undergrads have to take some theology coursework, none is required for JD students (although classes and writing opportunities on Law & Religion is available). BC would never force students to attend religious services (again, they are offered for those who wish to partake) and the overwhelming majority of students decline to do so.
I'm not sure I understand your distinction between Christians and Catholics.

CA Placement - CA firms do recruit on campus (I don't recall the names because I didn't apply to them), and they're mostly interested in the ppl with connections to the area. Again with the Chicago case, BC sponsors off-campus recruiting (I believe) in CA to supplement on-campus interviewing and, in any case, large law firms will allow you to pick an office before interviewing on campus. I'd double check with Admissions on this one, they're much more in the know than I am.
I have a few friends from the west coast who plan on returning after school and have jobs out there so I can only assume that BC has some measure of success in their placement.

I really like BC's campus. There's a lot of green space and the classrooms are either recent construction or recently renovated. Visit and you'll see for yourself!!

Edit: I realize the placement remarks re CA are kinda circular, sorry about that.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:57 pm

Pre accepted day bump

HWS08

Bronze

Post by HWS08 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:07 am

Hey, thanks for answering questions. I have been to Boston a few times but am not super familiar with the area. Is BC really close to the T? I don't have a car now and it would be expensive to get one, so I'd like to avoid it. I do have a bike, but obviously that's not a year-round option in Boston.

I am visiting next weekend (couldn't make it up to ASD tomorrow) and will be staying with my bf in Waltham. Is there a convenient way to get from Waltham to BC using public transportation? I noticed there are a few bus stops near campus. If not, I may just have my bf drop me off on his way to work and I'll hang out at a coffee shop or something for a few hours before the tour starts.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:34 am

HWS08 wrote:Hey, thanks for answering questions. I have been to Boston a few times but am not super familiar with the area. Is BC really close to the T? I don't have a car now and it would be expensive to get one, so I'd like to avoid it. I do have a bike, but obviously that's not a year-round option in Boston.

I am visiting next weekend (couldn't make it up to ASD tomorrow) and will be staying with my bf in Waltham. Is there a convenient way to get from Waltham to BC using public transportation? I noticed there are a few bus stops near campus. If not, I may just have my bf drop me off on his way to work and I'll hang out at a coffee shop or something for a few hours before the tour starts.
BC's main campus is on the B line and while the law school is somewhat near the newton center stop on the D line, it's not something that I would rely on. BC runs a shuttle along comm ave each morning and evening for the law school. It services the end of the line stops for the B & C lines and reservoir on the D line, so in that respect its somewhat convenient...although much less so than a car.

You can take the 553 bus from Waltham toward Boston and then switch at Centre Street to the 52 bus. Driving will probably save you 40 minutes though. If you find yourself on campus with some free time and want to chat, let me know (PM), I'd be happy to meet up.

Attorney

Bronze

Post by Attorney » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:28 pm

BushyPotter wrote:Are there christians at BC? not a big deal if there aren't, just curious. Also, since BC is a Catholic school [correct me if I'm wrong] would I have to go to any mandatory church services? or take any religious classes? I'm a christian guy and I go to a secular university now, so ... I was just wondering if I would have to compromise my faith to go there
Your inability to identify Catholics as Christians is frightening and bewildering.

BushyPotter wrote:Also, I want to work in CA after law school
Then you are far better off attending even a lower ranked school that is actually in CA. Law schools are very regional in their placement compared to any other type of graduate school. Pepperdine sounds perfect for you. Also try UC Hastings, U of San Diego, UC Davis, and Loyola Law School. But again, you'd fit in much better at Pepperdine (conservative evangelical Protestant school I believe) than say Loyola or San Diego (Catholic schools).

Good luck!

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:02 pm

April 1 snowfall bump

ldboston

New

Post by ldboston » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:38 pm

I guess I can say Boston is consistent at crushing my dreams that spring will arrive at this time every year.

Since this weather is basically the only kind in which I am totally happy to stay inside and do work, i was thinking of study locations. I did a quick tour on ASD, but my tour guide had never done one before so she didn't show us much except the library. Are there study lounges/areas on campus besides the library?

Also, does everyone get a locker at BC? I will be commuting without a car (sigh) and want a place to store my books.

Was also wondering if people arrange car pools at BC. I would totally be willing to chip in for gas with some people in teh winter months to avoid the shuttle.

Thanks!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:37 pm

ldboston wrote:I guess I can say Boston is consistent at crushing my dreams that spring will arrive at this time every year.

Since this weather is basically the only kind in which I am totally happy to stay inside and do work, i was thinking of study locations. I did a quick tour on ASD, but my tour guide had never done one before so she didn't show us much except the library. Are there study lounges/areas on campus besides the library?

Also, does everyone get a locker at BC? I will be commuting without a car (sigh) and want a place to store my books.

Was also wondering if people arrange car pools at BC. I would totally be willing to chip in for gas with some people in teh winter months to avoid the shuttle.

Thanks!
Yikes, admissions fail. While the library is the primary study location on campus, all of the classrooms stay open and students often grab them when free. That being said, aside from the library, there are no "dedicated" study location on campus. A lot of people study in the yellow room (adjacent to the cafeteria) but there are no noise controls so it gets pretty loud, esp during meal times.

Lockers are first-come, first-serve but there are more than enough. Pretty much all 1Ls grab one because you cannot carry around 4 casebooks all day. 2Ls and 3Ls are less adamant about grabbing one because they have fewer classes.

People do in fact car pool and BC even has a car permit specifically for this. This is something you could work out through the facebook group before classes start or within your section during the year.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Apr 01, 2011 2:39 pm

I am a current BU student, but I have a question that you may be able to help with. I know that BU and BC run a joint job fair in NYC for NY/NJ employers. Did you attend this job fair, and if you did, any success from it?

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Fri Apr 01, 2011 3:07 pm

dakatz wrote:I am a current BU student, but I have a question that you may be able to help with. I know that BU and BC run a joint job fair in NYC for NY/NJ employers. Did you attend this job fair, and if you did, any success from it?
Unfortunately I did not participate in any off-campus OCI events. I know some kids that got call-backs from that event but am unsure of their subsequent disposition. Sorry I can't be of more help.

mettasutta

Bronze

Post by mettasutta » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:41 pm

How amenable is BC to merit aid negotiation? I was just accepted yesterday; although I have not received my acceptance package yet, I'm not expecting much (or anything) based on what I've seen on the LSN charts of people who got in with numbers similar to mine. I have sizable scholarships from T30 schools to use as leverage, FWIW.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”