Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
sullidop

Bronze

Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Post by sullidop » Mon Feb 21, 2011 7:22 pm

That time is upon us when the snow begins to retreat and accepted 0Ls flock to accepted students days/campus tours. Please hit up this board with any questions you may have regarding BCLS!

A little about me. Went to BC undergrad (class of 2007), worked at a big firm for a couple years, and went back to BC for law school. The collegial atmosphere and laid-back student body brought me back to my alma mater.

(Edited to reflect new year 8/1/11)
Last edited by sullidop on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nickg1386

New

Re: Boston College (BC) 2L Taking Questions

Post by nickg1386 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:28 pm

Hi sulli--thanks for taking questions. How are employment opportunities coming from BC? Issues with competition from the slew of other boston-schools?

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:38 pm

nickg1386 wrote:Hi sulli--thanks for taking questions. How are employment opportunities coming from BC? Issues with competition from the slew of other boston-schools?
0L here, but my understanding is that BC/BU grads dominate the market, with only a few Harvard grads deciding to stay (though obviously grabbing whatever they want).

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:40 pm

I guess I have a general question about Boston, since there's a good chance I'll end up there (though I'm more inclined toward BU), what's life like in Boston (either newtown or the city or both)?

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:12 pm

nickg1386 wrote:Hi sulli--thanks for taking questions. How are employment opportunities coming from BC? Issues with competition from the slew of other boston-schools?
Ah yes, the jobs question. Let me break this into three parts, 1) Boston; 2) BC; 3) BC v other LSs.

Boston - So everyone knows that the bleeding has stopped. Layoffs are (kinda, http://abovethelaw.com/2011/02/staff-la ... g-surprise ) no longer happening. But of course things are not back to normal. The firm I worked for before law school, for example, is still off 60-70% in terms of SAs from its 2008 high. There is a general consensus that things will be better for each class going forward.

BC - It's a mixed bag. There are people with good GPAs and solid journal credentials who still don't have jobs. Conversely, there are some kids who, God knows how, got great SAs. Beyond this general impression, no one really knows what the job picture looks like because we don't ask about it or brag that we have jobs...it would make people mad/uncomfortable and BC's not that kind of place. Frankly, after I got an offer I completely tuned out because it's exhausting as hell to deal with recruiting.
In terms of hard numbers, there's only an incomplete and wholly non-scientific poll conducted by the Law Student's Association. Of the reporting students, about 50 last summer got Summer Associate positions. Many more took in-house, a clerkship, etc, but my inclination is that you only care about the larger firm jobs.

BC v other Law Schools - I understand this question, but it's only one that kids applying to law school dedicate any time to thinking about. BC kids end up in the same firms as BU and Harvard kids. 1 or 2 Northeastern/Suffolk kids might sneak in but, for the most part, the fact that there are a lot of schools in Boston is moot. Another 50 could open tomorrow and it wouldn't materially affect recruiting at BC, BU or Harvard. As to how these schools interact with each other? Obviously Harvard has a leg up, but most of their students leave Boston (thankfully). Anyone that claims BC recruits better than BU or visa versa is lying. The empirical evidence shows they're basically dead-even.
Last edited by sullidop on Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:28 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:26 pm

2011Law wrote:I guess I have a general question about Boston, since there's a good chance I'll end up there (though I'm more inclined toward BU), what's life like in Boston (either newtown or the city or both)?
Hahaha, well I won't try to sway you either way. I really like Boston, it's a reason that I decided to go to BCLS. It's a fun place with lots of cool bars, restaurants, museums. After 8 years here I'm still discovering new places to go and new things to do. In short, there's tons to do and since there're a lot of schools around, the atmosphere is really young. The only downside is the weather. Boston's beautiful May-early October. The rest of the year...not so much.
The same goes for Newton, but you'll need a car which means driving to bars or a pretty expensive cab ride.

The only downside is that you won't, as a law student, be able to enjoy it as much as you like because of the two things that most law students don't have: 1) time & 2) money. Boston's expensive.* Living in the cool parts of the city (Back Bay, South End, Beacon Hill) will run 1700-2000 a month for a nice 1 bed. This is why most ppl live in Newton or the outskirts of Boston (Brighton, Allston) with roommates (usually 600-800 per person). Of course, living outside Boston (and therefore the T's reach) means you'll need a car. This can be problematic because, especially in Allston/Brighton, parking can be non-existant (without a resident permit) or expensive.

Definitely come for a visit to see if you like it...but wait until June. :D

* Boston's expensive for a student, but for professionals, maybe not so much. Given that Boston firms pay NY salaries but without the rent, city tax, or high state tax, it's a great place to be.

2011Law

Silver

Post by 2011Law » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:53 pm

sullidop wrote:
2011Law wrote:I guess I have a general question about Boston, since there's a good chance I'll end up there (though I'm more inclined toward BU), what's life like in Boston (either newtown or the city or both)?
Hahaha, well I won't try to sway you either way. I really like Boston, it's a reason that I decided to go to BCLS. It's a fun place with lots of cool bars, restaurants, museums. After 8 years here I'm still discovering new places to go and new things to do. In short, there's tons to do and since there're a lot of schools around, the atmosphere is really young. The only downside is the weather. Boston's beautiful May-early October. The rest of the year...not so much.
The same goes for Newton, but you'll need a car which means driving to bars or a pretty expensive cab ride.

The only downside is that you won't, as a law student, be able to enjoy it as much as you like because of the two things that most law students don't have: 1) time & 2) money. Boston's expensive.* Living in the cool parts of the city (Back Bay, South End, Beacon Hill) will run 1700-2000 a month for a nice 1 bed. This is why most ppl live in Newton or the outskirts of Boston (Brighton, Allston) with roommates (usually 600-800 per person). Of course, living outside Boston (and therefore the T's reach) means you'll need a car. This can be problematic because, especially in Allston/Brighton, parking can be non-existant (without a resident permit) or expensive.

* Boston's expensive for a student, but for professionals, maybe not so much. Given that Boston firms pay NY salaries but without the rent, city tax, or high state tax, it's a great place to be.
Thanks for the reply. The main reason I'm more inclined to go to BU over BC (barring a scholly at least 30k better) is just cause its in the city.

Wherever I go I'm sure I'm going to miss the Miami weather, though I am definitely excited to experience actual seasons for once.

As for the visit, bet on it.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:51 pm

2011Law wrote:
sullidop wrote:

Thanks for the reply. The main reason I'm more inclined to go to BU over BC (barring a scholly at least 30k better) is just cause its in the city.

Wherever I go I'm sure I'm going to miss the Miami weather, though I am definitely excited to experience actual seasons for once.

As for the visit, bet on it.
If you're in at BC and BU, you should ask them to send reps (while you're in Boston) to simultaneously pitch to you in person. I've always wondered exactly how far the admissions dept would go to get someone they wanted.

nickg1386

New

Post by nickg1386 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:46 pm

Thank you!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:30 pm

Bump. Also will be leading a tour tomorrow if anyone's visiting!

tepper

Bronze

Post by tepper » Fri Feb 25, 2011 2:58 am

Hi OP, first thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

I'll be going to BC law starting this fall and I have a few questions regarding living. I'm currently working in Japan and I won't be able to return to the states until a week before school starts, so that means I won't have time to actually visit BC beforehand and look for a place to live. I've looked through the BC Law website regarding grad student living units, and all of them appear to be pretty far away from the Law School campus.

Can you please give me some advice in terms of finding a place to live? I'm looking for an apartment or studio that is as close as possible to the law school campus. Thanks!

africaforlife

New

Post by africaforlife » Fri Feb 25, 2011 3:20 am

tepper wrote:Hi OP, first thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

I'll be going to BC law starting this fall and I have a few questions regarding living. I'm currently working in Japan and I won't be able to return to the states until a week before school starts, so that means I won't have time to actually visit BC beforehand and look for a place to live. I've looked through the BC Law website regarding grad student living units, and all of them appear to be pretty far away from the Law School campus.

Can you please give me some advice in terms of finding a place to live? I'm looking for an apartment or studio that is as close as possible to the law school campus. Thanks!

Tepper,

I will probably be starting at BC in the fall as well (or possibly deferring one year). I am also from Newton and can give you some idea of where to look. Newton is comprised of 13 'villages', and the one that is most desirable and close to BC Law is probably Newton Center. There are a bunch of rental properties around there, and the area is about a 3-5 minute drive or 15-30 minute walk from the law school. Other areas of Newton close by (but a bit further away, include Newton Highlands, Chestnut Hill, Waban, Newton Corner and Newtonville. All with their ups and downs, and for a young law student, I do think the Center is probably the most desirable place in Newton.

If you want more city life, Brighton and Allston are probably your best bets. They are a bit further away, but some areas of Brighton, in particular, are only about a 5-10 minute drive away. They are also pretty cheap if you have a couple roommates. I lived in Brighton for a couple years straight out of college, and I paid about $550 a month for a pretty sweet place with three roomies.

Craigslist is always a good place to start looking for anything, but there are also a ton of low cost apartment agencies that will hook you up (that is how I found our place in Brighton). Some of them will charge you a fee, but you can usually negotiate that and get the landlord to eat some of the cost. Or you can use the agent to find a place and then try to find the landlord and negotiate directly with him or her.

If you need some advice on specific agents or places, let me know.

Cheers,
G

tepper

Bronze

Post by tepper » Fri Feb 25, 2011 11:50 am

africaforlife wrote:
tepper wrote:Hi OP, first thank you for taking the time to answer our questions.

Tepper,

I will probably be starting at BC in the fall as well (or possibly deferring one year). I am also from Newton and can give you some idea of where to look. Newton is comprised of 13 'villages', and the one that is most desirable and close to BC Law is probably Newton Center. There are a bunch of rental properties around there, and the area is about a 3-5 minute drive or 15-30 minute walk from the law school. Other areas of Newton close by (but a bit further away, include Newton Highlands, Chestnut Hill, Waban, Newton Corner and Newtonville. All with their ups and downs, and for a young law student, I do think the Center is probably the most desirable place in Newton.

If you want more city life, Brighton and Allston are probably your best bets. They are a bit further away, but some areas of Brighton, in particular, are only about a 5-10 minute drive away. They are also pretty cheap if you have a couple roommates. I lived in Brighton for a couple years straight out of college, and I paid about $550 a month for a pretty sweet place with three roomies.

Craigslist is always a good place to start looking for anything, but there are also a ton of low cost apartment agencies that will hook you up (that is how I found our place in Brighton). Some of them will charge you a fee, but you can usually negotiate that and get the landlord to eat some of the cost. Or you can use the agent to find a place and then try to find the landlord and negotiate directly with him or her.

Cheers,
G
Hi africaforlife, I sent you a private message. Thanks for your help!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:53 pm

africaforlife wrote:

Tepper,

Cheers,
G
The above is all true. The Law School is in Newton Center on Centre Street. In the immediate vicinity there are a few apartments (almost all located in houses) that are available to students. However, if you're living in Newton (I do), plan on having a car. While many apts are close enough to the school to permit walking, it would be difficult to go/do anything else given the limited access to public transportation.

The alternate, as is suggested above, is to live in Allston/Brighton or further in the city. Allston/Brighton is largely a student neighborhood, however it is on the T (Boston's public transit system) and BC runs a bus from Cleveland Circle to BC Law in the mornings and evenings (I believe). There's a lot of mixed use development so, coupled with access to the T, you probably won't need a car to enjoy living here. As you go further into the city (or Brookline, a yuppy suburb of Boston) it again becomes necessary to have a car and the rents move upward.

In terms of resources, Craigslist is a good one. It's a little ambiguous if you're looking for a roommate, but if you are I'd recommend checking out BC's roommate finder instead of craigslist. Students post rooms available or you can link up with a person looking for a roommate.
--LinkRemoved--
In your situation it might be preferential to have a roommate for the first year, if not only because they'll do the legwork for you in looking for an apt. Lots of the real estate agents and landlords that offer apts online aren't exactly reputable. Descriptions and photos are not always...accurate. There is one major exception to this rule, MetroRealty. I've used them for 2 apartments and recommended them to my friends (three rentals) and all have had phenomenal experiences. So, if you want to use an agent, go through them.

One more thing to note - The VAST majority of apartment rentals in the Boston area turn over September 1. I would try to avoid this like the plague. It is both impossible to do anything in the area on that day and the high competition for apartments that start on 9/1 inflates the price. I highly recommend taking an August 1. This will allow you to settle in before school starts and have your apartment set up before orientation starts (last week of August).

tepper

Bronze

Post by tepper » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:24 am

Dear Sullidop, thanks for your answer! If you don't mind I would like to ask you one more question. Here's my current tentative plan for BC this fall: I will stay in one of the Grad Student Housing units, I believe they're on Embassy Road and the nearby area. It is to my understanding that assuming I won't be having a car, I can take the BC shuttle services to get from where I live to the Chestnut Hill Campus, and then take another BC shuttle from Chestnut Hill Campus to the Newton Campus. Is that correct? If so then how reliable are these shuttles? and is it safe to ride a bike in the area? Thanks!

nyankees51

New

Post by nyankees51 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:56 am

Thanks for taking questions sulli!

I was just wondering how BC does in terms of placing in NYC big law. I know that people say BU is slightly better in this catergory but I will probably like BC more as a whole. I'm not against staying in Boston but being from NY I would like to have the opportunity available wherever I go.

FalafelWaffle

Bronze

Post by FalafelWaffle » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:19 pm

sullidop wrote:That time is upon us when the snow begins to retreat and accepted 0Ls flock to accepted students days/campus tours. Please hit up this board with any questions you may have regarding BCLS!

A little about me. Went to BC undergrad (class of 2007), worked at a big firm for a couple years, and went back to BC for law school. The collegial atmosphere and laid-back student body brought me back to my alma mater.
Why is BU so much better than BC?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:14 pm

tepper wrote:Dear Sullidop, thanks for your answer! If you don't mind I would like to ask you one more question. Here's my current tentative plan for BC this fall: I will stay in one of the Grad Student Housing units, I believe they're on Embassy Road and the nearby area. It is to my understanding that assuming I won't be having a car, I can take the BC shuttle services to get from where I live to the Chestnut Hill Campus, and then take another BC shuttle from Chestnut Hill Campus to the Newton Campus. Is that correct? If so then how reliable are these shuttles? and is it safe to ride a bike in the area? Thanks!
That is correct about the shuttles, however there is a more convenient super-secret shuttle that runs a few times a day (twice AM and once PM...I think) between the law school and cleveland circle. Using this option you'd only have to take one bus, cutting about 10-20 minutes off the typical commute. The shuttles are pretty reliable during peak hours (8am-1pm) and they offer a tracking system that you can use on your smartphone or computer to see where the buses are.
Between the main campus and law campus, there's a carriage road to ride bikes, so it's quite safe. Between Embassy Rd and main campus will probably be a little trick during rush hour due to car volume and during the winter due to snow. More generally, there are some great areas along the Reservoir, Beacon Street for bike riding and along the Charles River. They've really made a huge effort to get in more bike lanes built in Boston given that a huge percentage of the population walks or bikes to work. http://www.cityofboston.gov/bikes/

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:21 pm

nyankees51 wrote:Thanks for taking questions sulli!

I was just wondering how BC does in terms of placing in NYC big law. I know that people say BU is slightly better in this catergory but I will probably like BC more as a whole. I'm not against staying in Boston but being from NY I would like to have the opportunity available wherever I go.
I wish I had a great answer for you. Unfortunately I did not apply to any NYC OCI participants nor did I participate in the off-site OCI in NYC (I was only interested in Boston Biglaw). I know that around 20-25% ( --LinkRemoved-- ) of the class usually goes into that market, but not having direct contact with process, I can only offer anecdotal advice.

IsleMet

Bronze

Post by IsleMet » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:39 pm

I'll be attending BC in the Fall..

I apologize if this has been addressed already. Would it be wise to have a car if I was to live in Allston. I have a friend near the Packards Corner stop who I might live with. I went to BU for undergrad and I know how slow and unreliable the T can be. I can only imagine how much extra time the bus must take to get to the law school. Or, is it silly to live that far and I should just shoot for something on campus?

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:48 pm

IsleMet wrote:I'll be attending BC in the Fall..

I apologize if this has been addressed already. Would it be wise to have a car if I was to live in Allston. I have a friend near the Packards Corner stop who I might live with. I went to BU for undergrad and I know how slow and unreliable the T can be. I can only imagine how much extra time the bus must take to get to the law school. Or, is it silly to live that far and I should just shoot for something on campus?
A car will improve your quality of life beyond words. If you can pull it off, I highly recommend it.
There are kids that live in the South End, Somerville, Needham, etc and commute to school. Packard's Corner is not very far away. On the contrary, it'll be really convenient for bar outings :D . I live in Newton and would love to be on the T for that exact reason.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

IsleMet

Bronze

Post by IsleMet » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:53 pm

sullidop wrote:

A car will improve your quality of life beyond words. If you can pull it off, I highly recommend it.
There are kids that live in the South End, Somerville, Needham, etc and commute to school. Packard's Corner is not very far away. On the contrary, it'll be really convenient for bar outings :D . I live in Newton and would love to be on the T for that exact reason.
Great, thanks for the advice! I have a car sitting at my family's house on Long Island. If it's not super inconvenient and expensive, I might as well bring it along. And then I'd have the T for all of those crazy nights out in Newton :-)

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:00 pm

IsleMet wrote:
sullidop wrote:

Great, thanks for the advice! I have a car sitting at my family's house on Long Island. If it's not super inconvenient and expensive, I might as well bring it along. And then I'd have the T for all of those crazy nights out in Newton :-)
Definitely. Just register in MA and park on the street. Hahaha bars in Newton? We go to the same bars you probably went to in ugrad (JTree, Big City, White Horse, Tavern in the Square f/k/a The Kells, Cask, Wonder Bar) but occasionally trek further into the city (Bell in Hand, Pour House, and the like).

IsleMet

Bronze

Post by IsleMet » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:08 pm

sullidop wrote:
IsleMet wrote:
sullidop wrote:

Definitely. Just register in MA and park on the street. Hahaha bars in Newton? We go to the same bars you probably went to in ugrad (JTree, Big City, White Horse, Tavern in the Square f/k/a The Kells, Cask, Wonder Bar) but occasionally trek further into the city (Bell in Hand, Pour House, and the like).
Haha, the Newton comment was a joke :-) ...I'm glad to hear that I'll already be familiar with many of the drinking establishments.

I would like to be active on campus...would it be wise to just look into graduate student housing or do you find yourself spending most of your day on campus any way? Like I said, I have a couple of prospective apartments in Allston plus I already know the area, but I don't want to miss out by living 20-25 mins away.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:04 pm

IsleMet wrote: Haha, the Newton comment was a joke :-) ...I'm glad to hear that I'll already be familiar with many of the drinking establishments.

I would like to be active on campus...would it be wise to just look into graduate student housing or do you find yourself spending most of your day on campus any way? Like I said, I have a couple of prospective apartments in Allston plus I already know the area, but I don't want to miss out by living 20-25 mins away.
Naw, the student housing is overpriced and in Cleveland Circle anyways. Stick to the private market and/or find kids in the LS looking for roommates. You'll have a chance to interact with your 0L peers on the issue at the housing fair in may/june if you need a roommate.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”