Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions Forum

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
CamillaT

New

Re: Boston College (BC) 3L Taking Questions

Post by CamillaT » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:19 pm

sullidop wrote:
CamillaT wrote:
sullidop wrote:
CamillaT wrote:Hi, I'm an international student and I'm going to BC for a year next fall through an exchange with Uppsala Universitet, Sweden. I did a search at the forum to find some topic about international students at BC but didn't find that much so I thought I’d try here.

Is there anyone who has experience regarding the international students' situation? any kind of special accommodation procedure / orientation? Any "buddy"-system? Are there a lot of exchange students at BC? Any good facebook-pages for accommodation etc?

Thanks for the help!

// Camilla
Is this through the JD or LLM program?
Actually I don't know yet, still waiting for info from my school. I know that I will be able to choose courses so it can't be the first year at the JD. I've studied law for three years when I go to BC ( a Swedish law exam requires 4,5 years). Maybe it's through LLM? An alternative is that the exchange is for the elective courses in year two-three through the JD. Is it a big difference if I take courses through the JD or the LLM?
It's not a big deal at all, mostly I asked for administrative reasons. I believe that the llm program has a buddy/mentor system in place. Email the llm program bcllm@bc.edu . They should be happy to provide you with the contact info of people currently in the program who you can bounce questions off of.
With regard to your other questions, there are a few exchange students at BC...maybe 2-3 dozen. I believe they have an orientation but I'm not overly familiar with the curriculum. While the program may have its own courses I've noticed a lot of international students in JD electives.

Thanks for the help!

tk713

New

Post by tk713 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 10:33 pm

What's the deal with Internet and tv in rental apartments- is it typically included? Or do people usually have to buy it themselves? Anyone know what the monthly rate for stuff like that would be? It makes me think university housing might be a better bet when adding on Internet and stuff..Thoughts anyone?

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:01 pm

tk713 wrote:What's the deal with Internet and tv in rental apartments- is it typically included? Or do people usually have to buy it themselves? Anyone know what the monthly rate for stuff like that would be? It makes me think university housing might be a better bet when adding on Internet and stuff..Thoughts anyone?
I doubt that's gonna be included. You can hunt around the Comcast (or whoever) website to check out pricing.

tk713

New

Post by tk713 » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:29 pm

JusticeHarlan wrote:
tk713 wrote:What's the deal with Internet and tv in rental apartments- is it typically included? Or do people usually have to buy it themselves? Anyone know what the monthly rate for stuff like that would be? It makes me think university housing might be a better bet when adding on Internet and stuff..Thoughts anyone?
I doubt that's gonna be included. You can hunt around the Comcast (or whoever) website to check out pricing.

It's all a minimum 2 yr agreement though and i obviously might not stay in the same place for two years.. I'm foreseeing many annoying predicaments popping up with housing- on campus parking is an issue/expensive but it comes with everything, private is nothing guaranteed no furniture but possible parking and probably cheaper..

lrslayer

Silver

Post by lrslayer » Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:30 pm

lrslayer wrote:Can any current students speak a bit about the public service scholly? In particular, who is competitive (more experiance or academics driven)? how long the essay should be? do lor's have to be very current? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ganggreen

Bronze

Post by ganggreen » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:14 am

Keep in mind there's no university housing available for law students... and I didn't live off campus but from talking to my friends who did, I'm pretty sure there's no 2-year requirement on cable/internet in Brighton (could be wrong).

tk713

New

Post by tk713 » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:24 am

ganggreen wrote:
Keep in mind there's no university housing available for law students... and I didn't live off campus but from talking to my friends who did, I'm pretty sure there's no 2-year requirement on cable/internet in Brighton (could be wrong).
If there's no housing for law students then what's this about? Does "graduate students" not include law students? http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/offices/re ... using.html

ganggreen

Bronze

Post by ganggreen » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:18 pm

tk713 wrote:
ganggreen wrote:
If there's no housing for law students then what's this about? Does "graduate students" not include law students? http://www.bc.edu/content/bc/offices/re ... using.html
Yeah I honestly hadn't heard about that, but it's an option.

http://maps.google.com/maps?um=1&ie=UTF ... CCkQ-A8wAA (where the two-bedroom apts are)

But why live 3 miles from the law school when you can find a place closer and cheaper off-campus? But actual law students could probably give better advice.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:05 pm

Grad housing will not be available to law students after the current academic year. An off campus apt split among 2-3+ usually goes for 600-800 a person plus utilities (about $80 each per month depending on level of cable and internet service). BC holds a housing fair in June (I think) but options will pop up on the official Facebook page before then as currently student-occupied apts will rotate through roommates and seek to re-up leases.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:13 pm

tk713 wrote:
JusticeHarlan wrote:

It's all a minimum 2 yr agreement though and i obviously might not stay in the same place for two years.. I'm foreseeing many annoying predicaments popping up with housing- on campus parking is an issue/expensive but it comes with everything, private is nothing guaranteed no furniture but possible parking and probably cheaper..
The cable internet thing usually isn't a big deal if you have to terminate. Most of the agreements allow you to terminate if you move. Most providers offer month-to-month (prices fixed for a year) to compete with Verizon FiOS so this shouldn't be a concern anyways. I have a pretty aggressive plan with 25/25 internet, HBO, DVR, etc for $130ish(?).
If you're not a big fan of cable prices, you could just get internet and pick up all the local network channels for free via antenna. I have a little multi-directional antenna attached to the TV in my bedroom because I didn't want to install a new cable box. It picks up 10 channels or so in HD and works great.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:15 pm

Also for comparison's sake, my wife and I spend about $10 a month in cooking gas, $26 a month in electricity, and $30 a month for Comcast internet (new customer promo; normal price is $50 or $60). I would advise buying a cable modem and using that for years to come since Comcast hiked their monthly modem rental rates. It will pay for itself within two years.

We live in a one-bedroom apartment in Newton by the Pike. Heat and hot water are included in the rent (and I wouldn't live anywhere that didn't include these two utilities). Also one parking spot in a lot off the street.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:45 pm

I'm going to give this an Acceptance/Wait List bump

mzells

New

Post by mzells » Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:44 pm

This is going to come across as a stupid question, but I've been accepted into BC.....but I'm from Texas and desperately want to practice in Texas (even though my dad lives in Boston and I love it there). Anyone know ANYTHING about random BC connections in Texas.....? Anyone?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:53 am

mzells wrote:This is going to come across as a stupid question, but I've been accepted into BC.....but I'm from Texas and desperately want to practice in Texas (even though my dad lives in Boston and I love it there). Anyone know ANYTHING about random BC connections in Texas.....? Anyone?
Not a state we hear much about. I'd ping admissions to see if BC has an offsite OCI there. I know a few people go there, but those I know were all top of class and went to large firms.

mzells

New

Post by mzells » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:09 pm

sullidop wrote:
mzells wrote:This is going to come across as a stupid question, but I've been accepted into BC.....but I'm from Texas and desperately want to practice in Texas (even though my dad lives in Boston and I love it there). Anyone know ANYTHING about random BC connections in Texas.....? Anyone?
Not a state we hear much about. I'd ping admissions to see if BC has an offsite OCI there. I know a few people go there, but those I know were all top of class and went to large firms.
Thanks, I appreciate the input. Figured it was a long-shot, but what the hell.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Thu Apr 19, 2012 12:32 pm

Outlining procrastination bump.

sullidop

Bronze

Post by sullidop » Tue May 22, 2012 5:12 pm

I'm graduating so it is time to stop. Although I'll no longer monitor this thread, I will respond to PMs.

Thanks for the fun.

/thread

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”