A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
lukew64
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:34 pm

A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby lukew64 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:18 pm

Just curious to hear experiences at Ole Miss as well as other schools' first year studies.

Peg
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:32 am

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby Peg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:36 pm

Tagged. I'm curious too, though I haven't applied there. Ole Miss seems so...exotic and mysterious from my New York perspective. I'd actually enjoy visiting Oxford and the law school one day, just to check out the atmosphere and see what the people are like down there. (I've never visited the South, ever.)

dakatz
Posts: 2460
Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby dakatz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:38 pm

Peg wrote:Tagged. I'm curious too, though I haven't applied there. Ole Miss seems so...exotic and mysterious from my New York perspective. I'd actually enjoy visiting Oxford and the law school one day, just to check out the atmosphere and see what the people are like down there. (I've never visited the South, ever.)


You are from NY and you are considering going to Mississippi? Sounds like something straight out of My Cousin Vinny.

Peg
Posts: 331
Joined: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:32 am

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby Peg » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:46 pm

dakatz wrote:
Peg wrote:Tagged. I'm curious too, though I haven't applied there. Ole Miss seems so...exotic and mysterious from my New York perspective. I'd actually enjoy visiting Oxford and the law school one day, just to check out the atmosphere and see what the people are like down there. (I've never visited the South, ever.)


You are from NY and you are considering going to Mississippi? Sounds like something straight out of My Cousin Vinny.


I never said I was considering going to Mississippi. I said I haven't applied there, but was curious. I probably should've made clear that I'm curious just for the sake of being curious, not because I'm interested in attending Ole Miss or working in Mississippi.

User avatar
LLB2JD
Posts: 745
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:32 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby LLB2JD » Mon Feb 21, 2011 10:33 pm

dakatz wrote:
Peg wrote:Tagged. I'm curious too, though I haven't applied there. Ole Miss seems so...exotic and mysterious from my New York perspective. I'd actually enjoy visiting Oxford and the law school one day, just to check out the atmosphere and see what the people are like down there. (I've never visited the South, ever.)


You are from NY and you are considering going to Mississippi? Sounds like something straight out of My Cousin Vinny.



lolwut :lol:

lukew64
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby lukew64 » Thu Feb 24, 2011 10:51 am

Well, as one who visited 8 law schools before making a decision, I can tell you this:

I was the average TLS guy constantly comparing GPA and LSAT medians at schools, had in mind where I wanted to go, and planned to attend.

Eventually, I visited Oxford and just felt at home. The place is quaint, quiet and seems like a good place to live. I pretty much said to hell with the rankings and decided to go where I feel comfortable. I don't know if that helps any. . .

User avatar
Knuckles
Posts: 37
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 5:44 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby Knuckles » Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:03 pm

Well, I'm headed to Ole Miss law school in August and I'm really excited; I've been here all four years of undergrad, and Oxford is just as much a home to me as my native Biloxi. There aren't too many Rebels on TLS from what I can gather, so it's great to hear from someone else in my entering class (although that means there's someone else to screw up the curve, so I guess the news is bittersweet).

Yeah Oxford is all of those things. It's also quite Old South in most respects (for better or for worse) although this area has a more significant liberal contingency than other areas. Going to school at Ole Miss is infinitely better than going to MC and living in Jackson around the ghetto so the choice was easy (not to mention the tier/price difference).

PS: I wouldn't be terrified. There are some frat boys going into law school who will just shock you; if they can survive Ole Miss law, you can. They will, however, have membership in the Good Ol' Boys club which you and I don't have a shot at, and it does make a big difference in employment in some areas. Getting to know people here is going to be nearly as important as getting solid grades.

LoyalRebel
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby LoyalRebel » Sun Feb 27, 2011 12:52 pm

I am in undergrad at Ole Miss (getting my BA in may). While at this point I can't really say much about the law school (although the the new building is pretty top notch), I can give you some Oxford insight.

- It is a good school. While it's not high in the rankings in all areas, they have their strong points and stick by them. The school is managed very well overall and I think in the upcoming years their academic reputation will improve. The faculty are great in my experience and the law school is very reputable within the state.

- People like to drink there. The Square (the area with all the bars) looks very quiet and quaint during the day time, but on the weekends (starting Thursday night) I'd compare it to a mini Los Angeles. It goes from a quiet southern town to a pretty sophisticated party scene.

- The girls are absolutely stunning.

- The cost of living is low.

- Legendary tailgating at football games.

Overall, it's pretty enjoyable if you fit the Oxford profile.

Capitol A
Posts: 757
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby Capitol A » Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:57 pm

- Legendary tailgating at football games.

Is it true that beer is illeagal in the grove, but people are drinking whiskey straight from the bottle? That makes no sense. If that is true, do you happen to know why?

User avatar
Spookyghost
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby Spookyghost » Sun Feb 27, 2011 6:56 pm

I have spent a lot of time in Oxford, and actually chose to not go to Ole Miss simply because I couldn't LIVE in Oxford. I still live in MS and visit frequently as I have a lot of friends who are a lot more patient than I am. Now, a lot of people from the North seem to think Oxford is something out of a Faulkner short story. IT IS.

I have always been far too laid back to really appreciate Oxford - it does somewhat have a reputation for being snotty, (though it's nothing compared to Vanderbilt good lord). There are a lot of rich, out-of-state kids, and there are a lot of homegrown 5th generation Ole Miss kids who will have connections to the area you will never be able to match.

The tailgating is, while not awful, not as good as its cracked up to be in my humble opinion. It's not bad, but compared to other SEC teams, say, LSU or Alabama, I wouldn't say it's anything to write home about. Or hell, hit up a Saints tailgate during the NFL season. The party scene in Oxford, while not New Orleanian, is actually leagues better than anywhere else in Mississippi.

As for the actual law school, the new building is probably the nicest I have seen (out of the 15 or so I have visited.) If you want to practice in Mississippi, or even parts of Louisiana/Alabama, Ole Miss' reputation is a very solid one, and from what I hear they have a strong alumni network to aid you in the job search if you can develop connections while at school. Sadly, a lot of graduates end up working in Jackson, which I can't say is that great of a city when compared to other cities in the area say New Orleans or Birmingham.
As someone else mentioned, it is leagues better than MC with a lot more potability for the same price.

I don't mean to bash Oxford, but all that Southern charm can get pretty annoying if that isn't your cup of tea - it isn't mine. But even not being from the South, it isn't hard to fit in, and a lot of people from out of state come in and love it. It's a nice, "quaint" little town, the cost of living is cheap, the girls are hot, and the BMWs flow like water.

lukew64
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby lukew64 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:35 am

LoyalRebel wrote:I am in undergrad at Ole Miss (getting my BA in may). While at this point I can't really say much about the law school (although the the new building is pretty top notch), I can give you some Oxford insight.

- It is a good school. While it's not high in the rankings in all areas, they have their strong points and stick by them. The school is managed very well overall and I think in the upcoming years their academic reputation will improve. The faculty are great in my experience and the law school is very reputable within the state.

- People like to drink there. The Square (the area with all the bars) looks very quiet and quaint during the day time, but on the weekends (starting Thursday night) I'd compare it to a mini Los Angeles. It goes from a quiet southern town to a pretty sophisticated party scene.

- The girls are absolutely stunning.

- The cost of living is low.

- Legendary tailgating at football games.

Overall, it's pretty enjoyable if you fit the Oxford profile.


Yeah I agree with all of that from what I've seen. I visited in the fall and just fell in love with the place. I haven't been able to see the inside of the new law school except on youtube, but I'll be down Thursday of next week for a few days to visit the school in its new building, put down a deposit on a place, etc. I'm very excited.

LoyalRebel
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby LoyalRebel » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:16 am

Capitol A wrote:
- Legendary tailgating at football games.

Is it true that beer is illeagal in the grove, but people are drinking whiskey straight from the bottle? That makes no sense. If that is true, do you happen to know why?


Beer technically isn't allowed (liquor is), and I don't really know why. I suspect it has something to do with the amount of garbage beer cans generate compared to liquor. That really is how they prioritize things down there.

gator1
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:25 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby gator1 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:50 am

Peg wrote:Tagged. I'm curious too, though I haven't applied there. Ole Miss seems so...exotic and mysterious from my New York perspective. I'd actually enjoy visiting Oxford and the law school one day, just to check out the atmosphere and see what the people are like down there. (I've never visited the South, ever.)


really? wild and disorderly seems to do justice to the region :D

User avatar
atlantisdan
Posts: 64
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 3:26 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby atlantisdan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:41 pm

lukew64 wrote:Well, as one who visited 8 law schools before making a decision, I can tell you this:

I was the average TLS guy constantly comparing GPA and LSAT medians at schools, had in mind where I wanted to go, and planned to attend.

Eventually, I visited Oxford and just felt at home. The place is quaint, quiet and seems like a good place to live. I pretty much said to hell with the rankings and decided to go where I feel comfortable. I don't know if that helps any. . .


I could have written this post myself. If you visit Oxford, you are bound to fall in love with it. I have been accepted to higher ranking schools, but its Ole Miss that I am waiting anxiously for.

lukew64
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby lukew64 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:10 am

atlantisdan wrote:
lukew64 wrote:Well, as one who visited 8 law schools before making a decision, I can tell you this:

I was the average TLS guy constantly comparing GPA and LSAT medians at schools, had in mind where I wanted to go, and planned to attend.

Eventually, I visited Oxford and just felt at home. The place is quaint, quiet and seems like a good place to live. I pretty much said to hell with the rankings and decided to go where I feel comfortable. I don't know if that helps any. . .


I could have written this post myself. If you visit Oxford, you are bound to fall in love with it. I have been accepted to higher ranking schools, but its Ole Miss that I am waiting anxiously for.


I had my second visit over the weekend and toured the new school. I feel very confident about my decision. I'm like you. I got accepted other "better schools" too, but I feel much more comfortable living in Oxford than Knoxville, Memphis, Louisville, or otherwise. I hope you get in!!

User avatar
Spookyghost
Posts: 193
Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:28 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby Spookyghost » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:27 pm

You guys enjoy yourself over there. Like I said, Oxford is rather hit or miss. You either love it like you all do, or hate it like me.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:53 pm

As a MS resident, Ole Miss is pretty interesting. In fact, it is a great place to be for law school.

The only problem is employment prospects.

Out of everyone who graduated from December 2008 through August 2009, only 13 students were hired to work in firms of 26 or more attorneys. Only 5 students were hired in firms of 51 or more attorneys.

The Jackson metropolitan area has 11 firm offices with more than 51 attorneys.

Oxford is great. But don't go there if you are not prepared to start your own firm, either by yourself or with classmates, post graduation.

lukew64
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:34 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby lukew64 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 4:27 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:As a MS resident, Ole Miss is pretty interesting. In fact, it is a great place to be for law school.

The only problem is employment prospects.

Out of everyone who graduated from December 2008 through August 2009, only 13 students were hired to work in firms of 26 or more attorneys. Only 5 students were hired in firms of 51 or more attorneys.

The Jackson metropolitan area has 11 firm offices with more than 51 attorneys.

Oxford is great. But don't go there if you are not prepared to start your own firm, either by yourself or with classmates, post graduation.


I have to agree that the employment prospects are a little discouraging. However, the numbers you quoted are only in Mississippi. Memphis hires a tremendous amount of Ole Miss alum and they have a wide variety of sizes. Plus, I'm put off by the gigantic law firm prospects (i.e. 90 hour work weeks, looming deadlines, and partnership always hanging over your head). Again, I decided to go there because I felt comfortable. Obviously, most attorneys would kill for the big firm job. It's just not for me.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:44 pm

lukew64 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:As a MS resident, Ole Miss is pretty interesting. In fact, it is a great place to be for law school.

The only problem is employment prospects.

Out of everyone who graduated from December 2008 through August 2009, only 13 students were hired to work in firms of 26 or more attorneys. Only 5 students were hired in firms of 51 or more attorneys.

The Jackson metropolitan area has 11 firm offices with more than 51 attorneys.

Oxford is great. But don't go there if you are not prepared to start your own firm, either by yourself or with classmates, post graduation.


I have to agree that the employment prospects are a little discouraging. However, the numbers you quoted are only in Mississippi. Memphis hires a tremendous amount of Ole Miss alum and they have a wide variety of sizes. Plus, I'm put off by the gigantic law firm prospects (i.e. 90 hour work weeks, looming deadlines, and partnership always hanging over your head). Again, I decided to go there because I felt comfortable. Obviously, most attorneys would kill for the big firm job. It's just not for me.


Well... the only number I quoted that was only related to Mississippi was the 11 firms of more than 51 attorneys. The only 13 graduates hired to work in firms of more than 26 attorneys numbers cover ALL graduates of Ole Miss during the entire year.

Personally, I'm not fond of law firms either. But, it is a good proxy because a lot of graduates would go to a medium size or larger firm if they were given the choice. Also, really small firms are hard to break into as well. Thus, the need for prospective Ole Miss students to feel comfortable with the idea of starting their own firm (on their own or with friends).

rnjones73
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 4:49 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby rnjones73 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:14 pm

.
Last edited by rnjones73 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
powerlawyer06
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:20 am

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby powerlawyer06 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 10:34 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:The Square (the area with all the bars) looks very quiet and quaint during the day time, but on the weekends (starting Thursday night) I'd compare it to a mini Los Angeles. It goes from a quiet southern town to a pretty sophisticated party scene.

I know this is off topic but what exactly does this mean? I am curious as to how the "South" views Los Angeles. As someone currently in Los Angeles, I think of things like traffic, smog, and the entertainment industry when I think about L.A.. Truely, this city is an eclectic mix of culture and urban sprawl that can't be categorized.

Do people imagine a sophisticated party scene when they think of L.A.? What perpetuates this image?

LoyalRebel
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby LoyalRebel » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:51 pm

powerlawyer06 wrote:
LoyalRebel wrote:The Square (the area with all the bars) looks very quiet and quaint during the day time, but on the weekends (starting Thursday night) I'd compare it to a mini Los Angeles. It goes from a quiet southern town to a pretty sophisticated party scene.

I know this is off topic but what exactly does this mean? I am curious as to how the "South" views Los Angeles. As someone currently in Los Angeles, I think of things like traffic, smog, and the entertainment industry when I think about L.A.. Truely, this city is an eclectic mix of culture and urban sprawl that can't be categorized.

Do people imagine a sophisticated party scene when they think of L.A.? What perpetuates this image?


Entertainment industry = sophisticated party scene, no?

User avatar
powerlawyer06
Posts: 233
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:20 am

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby powerlawyer06 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:58 pm

LoyalRebel wrote:Entertainment industry = sophisticated party scene, no?


No. The club/party scene here is no bigger than NYC or Miami and it in no way defines the city.

LoyalRebel
Posts: 193
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 1:20 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby LoyalRebel » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:09 am

powerlawyer06 wrote:
LoyalRebel wrote:Entertainment industry = sophisticated party scene, no?


No. The club/party scene here is no bigger than NYC or Miami and it in no way defines the city.


Well I'd say NYC and Miami have sophisticated party scenes as well.

But if you say LA is a shithole, I'm not one to argue.

User avatar
samaside
Posts: 87
Joined: Mon Mar 21, 2011 7:30 pm

Re: A terrified future Ole Miss 1L

Postby samaside » Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:36 pm

Psh, ignore Power Lad there. Folks from SoCal are so defensive. NorCal represent! I kid, I kid.

That said, I'm also a rather nervous potential L1 at Ole Miss. High five for uncertainty! In all seriousness, though, this has been helpful. I live in upstate New York right now and I'll never get a chance to come down to Oxford before I actually commit to going to school down there. So the more information the better. It helps us out-of-staters a lot.




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests