Tulane 2L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
cmraider

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby cmraider » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:31 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:The university is very attractive and it is in one of two nicest parts of the city. It is very safe and the surrounding community is very nice. As a side note, I do believe that Tulane should just go ahead and purchase Loyola -NO (I'm kidding, but you will know what I mean when you visit - the schools are right next to each other).

I think I may have read this on the TLS profiles, but aren't they literally across the street from each other?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:09 pm

cmraider wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:The university is very attractive and it is in one of two nicest parts of the city. It is very safe and the surrounding community is very nice. As a side note, I do believe that Tulane should just go ahead and purchase Loyola -NO (I'm kidding, but you will know what I mean when you visit - the schools are right next to each other).

I think I may have read this on the TLS profiles, but aren't they literally across the street from each other?

They are right next to each other. Literally - with no street inbetween, no quad/area of green inbetween, nothing. Fortunately, Loyola's campus is not as large as Tulane's campus, and only extends about 1/3 of the length of Tulane.

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Fri Feb 18, 2011 11:09 am

Aberzombie1892 wrote:If you are asking if you would be at a disadvantage when it comes to passing the bar if you didn't take civil law courses, my answer would be no. Barbri takes care of this.

That is what I was trying to get at.

dancinginseptember

Postby dancinginseptember » Sun Feb 20, 2011 4:02 pm

hi! this really doesnt have to do with tulane law school questions generally, but maybe you can help me out:

i have an internship in new orleans for the first half the summer. my friend + i are looking for temp housing... is there any forum for tulane students related to housing? subletting? do you know of anyone looking to sublet for at least half the summer?
if so, please message me!

thanks! :)

tgibson89

Postby tgibson89 » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:48 pm

Does being a Tulane undergraduate help or hurt? How many 1Ls do you know who were Tulane undergrads?

I'm a current Tulane undergrad with an active application. Love the place, would love to stay here.

privatemf

Postby privatemf » Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:26 pm

I haven't taken the LSAT but I would love to go there. I think they have great programs. I live in the NOLA area and I am from Texas. The expense is the greatest concern for me as well as what is the difference in Tulane and Loyola?

arvcondor

Postby arvcondor » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:43 am

A couple questions about the market:

First, what's the legal ecosystem like in NOLA? Were there jobs going around before ITE, and does it look like there will be more?

Second, you mentioned that a lot of students disperse back to the states from whence they came. Do you feel like Tulane's degree has clout outside the South? GWU, you mentioned that you want to just work on your company; but Aberzombie, do you know where you anticipate working?

Also, sell me on NOLA: What's the flavor of the city? Is it bikeable? Is there music besides jazz? etc.

edit: Sorry, but one more thing: Are you at all worried about the vulnerability of NOLA? The city lost a significant percentage of its population post-Katrina, the gulf is a cauldron of disaster, and the area is a hub for petrochemical production. Do these things concern you about the strength of the city?

buchy2009

Postby buchy2009 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:49 pm

Bump

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 12:45 pm

arvcondor wrote:A couple questions about the market:

First, what's the legal ecosystem like in NOLA? Were there jobs going around before ITE, and does it look like there will be more?

Second, you mentioned that a lot of students disperse back to the states from whence they came. Do you feel like Tulane's degree has clout outside the South? GWU, you mentioned that you want to just work on your company; but Aberzombie, do you know where you anticipate working?

Also, sell me on NOLA: What's the flavor of the city? Is it bikeable? Is there music besides jazz? etc.

edit: Sorry, but one more thing: Are you at all worried about the vulnerability of NOLA? The city lost a significant percentage of its population post-Katrina, the gulf is a cauldron of disaster, and the area is a hub for petrochemical production. Do these things concern you about the strength of the city?

Define jobs. People seem to have different ideas of what constitutes a job.

It has clout, as many employers are interested. If you have ties to a particular state, employers from there will be interested in you if your grades are within the appropriate range.

Where do I anticipate in working? I've been looking at a General Counsel Associate position at a university. I spent a summer working for them and they wanted me to come back this summer, but I didn't want to limit my options in case that didn't work out. The entry pay there would be about $70k. However, I have also been looking at other things as well.

The city is great. We are ranked either 12th or 9th on the list of cities with the highest percentage of the population that ride bikes to work. Heck, even my boss bikes to work.

I'm not concerned about the loss of residents. I didn't really visit the city that much before I came here, so I haven't noticed a difference. There are fewer big law firms here than I would've liked (Locke Lord, Phelps Dunbar, Adams and Reese, Baker Donelson, Proskauer Rose, McGlinchey Stafford, Jones Walker, etc.), but there are enough mid law firms and some out of state big/mid law firms to make up for it.

Hey PM me if there are any other questions, as I usually don't revisit threads like I used to.

rivkah

Postby rivkah » Sun May 15, 2011 8:59 pm

Are there any specific apartment complexes/housing developments where law students live? I've heard its nice to have neighbors who are going through the same things you are, maybe study sessions etc. Any thoughts of where we should try to live if possible?
Thank you!

williambrianlondon

Postby williambrianlondon » Mon May 23, 2011 4:45 pm

Live Uptown, in the University Area if you like being close to school, or go to the Garden District if you like being further away. Most students live in houses or houses converted to apartments/condos, as opposed to apartment complexes.

llachans

Postby llachans » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:02 pm

How's the employment for individuals wanting to prosecute?
Does Tulane offer anything unique for prosecution, such as a Prosecution Clinic or something?

2LT_CPG

Postby 2LT_CPG » Sat Jan 21, 2012 1:57 pm

So I'm potentially going to Loyola, but I thought I'd jump in here to ask some generic questions about New Orleans since there seem to be more Tulane TLSers on this board, and the proximity of the two schools makes it alright. I applied to Tulane too, but there's no way I get in with my numbers - fee waivers are cool like that.

So I did some basic craigslist searches last night to see how much houses/apartments go for in the area. Not bad. I'm coming from NYC where the standard for a 1BR cockroach nest goes for $900 easy. Looks like you can get some not-bad small 1BR houses a few blocks from the schools for way less. Is that generally true?

So what's the deal with biking in NOLA? It's relatively flat right? Do a lot of students bike to class? Lots of bike racks on the campuses (it's ok if you can only speak to Tulane)? How's public transit? I know the St. Charles streetcar runs right by. Is that a way to get to the nightlife? Or is the city a big cab city on weekends? (The NYC subway system spoiled me in this regard.)

Also this might sounds like a stupid carpetbagger question, but how's dealing with different accents if you're a northerner? I've spent some time in North Carolina in the Army and I had some issues understanding some locals. I know NOLA has a unique accent that isn't specifically 'Southern', but nevertheless.

Thanks!

140orBust

Postby 140orBust » Wed Jan 25, 2012 1:52 am

gwuorbust wrote:just to preface this, I hate law school. utterly. .

Sounds terrible, head to the LSU thread for a good time and a better bar passage rate.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:56 pm

Update to this thread:

I no longer hate law school. It has more morphed into apathy. I have a paying job with a nonprofit doing legal work. Which is better than a lot of people can say, so I am grateful. Most of that was from my own hard work. Outside of the classroom. In class, I tend to get below median grade.

Tulane remains a great school and New Orleans is still a great place. I'm originally from FL, went to GWU for undergrad, but am going to be staying in New Orleans at graduation. New Orleans is an amazing place. But if you are going to choose Tulane, I'd advocate that you do it on a sizable scholarship.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:03 pm

So I did some basic craigslist searches last night to see how much houses/apartments go for in the area. Not bad. I'm coming from NYC where the standard for a 1BR cockroach nest goes for $900 easy. Looks like you can get some not-bad small 1BR houses a few blocks from the schools for way less. Is that generally true?

depends on if you want to share. split three ways you can pay anything from $450 to $650. getting your own place could run from $900 to $1800 depending on size and whatnot. I'm speaking only about right next to campus - if you want to live in the bywater or something and drive to school you can reduce you rent even more but you risk living in a shaddy area.

So what's the deal with biking in NOLA? It's relatively flat right? Do a lot of students bike to class? Lots of bike racks on the campuses (it's ok if you can only speak to Tulane)? How's public transit? I know the St. Charles streetcar runs right by. Is that a way to get to the nightlife? Or is the city a big cab city on weekends? (The NYC subway system spoiled me in this regard.)

you can bike most places. Having a car is helpful, but not a necessity. It is nice for getting groceries and whatnot. Lots of places to lock up your bike. Street car is ok; at night on a weekend a taxi will cost like $15 so NBD.

Also this might sounds like a stupid carpetbagger question, but how's dealing with different accents if you're a northerner? I've spent some time in North Carolina in the Army and I had some issues understanding some locals. I know NOLA has a unique accent that isn't specifically 'Southern', but nevertheless.

I've never experienced this and don't know anyone who has.

mcr2011

Postby mcr2011 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:42 pm

How many people in each class are in the Sports Law program, roughly? The program itself sounds really impressive and I'm seriously considering Tulane because of it, but I can't seem to find any information on how many people are involved in it. Clearly there are some success stories of Tulane Law students enrolled in the program who get great internships and go on to work in sports, but I'm wondering how common that is. What do all of the students in the Sports Law program who don't get those great internships/jobs do once they graduate? And also, what are your thoughts on the Sports Law program in general?

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:59 pm

A few weeks ago, I purchased a red velvet cupcake at a bakery from a Tulane Law '09 grad who graduated in the top 1/3 of his class and had passed two bar exams (LA and OK). He seemed friendly (aka not socially repulsive). The cupcake was delicious.

Are your current classmates faring any better than my cupcake vending friend? For the purposes of this question, assume his dream is not selling delicious cupcakes and living with his parents.

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:16 pm

patrickd139 wrote:A few weeks ago, I purchased a red velvet cupcake at a bakery from a Tulane Law '09 grad who graduated in the top 1/3 of his class and had passed two bar exams (LA and OK). He seemed friendly (aka not socially repulsive). The cupcake was delicious.

Are your current classmates faring any better than my cupcake vending friend? For the purposes of this question, assume his dream is not selling delicious cupcakes and living with his parents.

I've seen similar situations. I've also seen people getting biglaw. The problem with Tulane is that it attracts a lot of people that want biglaw. Those people rarely prepare for the reality that they may need to work in "real" law. Lacking the basic fundamentals, that group can end up out in the cold if they don't hit the top 10% or readjust their expectations.

pugilistjd

Re: Tulane 2L Taking Questions

Postby pugilistjd » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:12 am

gwuorbust wrote:I've seen similar situations. I've also seen people getting biglaw. The problem with Tulane is that it attracts a lot of people that want biglaw. Those people rarely prepare for the reality that they may need to work in "real" law. Lacking the basic fundamentals, that group can end up out in the cold if they don't hit the top 10% or readjust their expectations.

Haha had kind of the opposite experience. A co-worker put me in touch with a Tulane '10 grad who was was top 10% and got DC biglaw. Regarding some of the more unfortunate folks, what do you mean by "lacking the basic fundamentals"?

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:08 pm

pugilistjd wrote:Haha had kind of the opposite experience. A co-worker put me in touch with a Tulane '10 grad who was was top 10% and got DC biglaw. Regarding some of the more unfortunate folks, what do you mean by "lacking the basic fundamentals"?

I think he is referring to a common issue facing law school students at all law schools - law school graduates are not prepared to enter the job market post graduation. This issue is quite serious at schools that do not have a comprehensive OCI program that is able to absorb many of their graduates prior to graduation.

Specifically, many (most?) law school students do not know:
(1) how to figure out what they want to do post graduation
(2) anything about the job market/job search beyond what career services lays out
(3) how to market themselves to potential employers

These results can lead, and sometimes do lead, to a bottom 1/3 student having a dramatically better employment outcome than a top 1/3 student.

patrickd139 wrote:Are your current classmates faring any better than my cupcake vending friend? For the purposes of this question, assume his dream is not selling delicious cupcakes and living with his parents.

While I don't go around surveying people as to find out what they want to do or whether they have a job offer, everyone that I knew personally from the class of 2011 is employed in a JD required full time position. However, neither my experiences nor your experience are scientific.

patrickd139

Postby patrickd139 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:23 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
patrickd139 wrote:Are your current classmates faring any better than my cupcake vending friend? For the purposes of this question, assume his dream is not selling delicious cupcakes and living with his parents.

While I don't go around surveying people as to find out what they want to do or whether they have a job offer, everyone that I knew personally from the class of 2011 is employed in a JD required full time position. However, neither my experiences nor your experience are scientific.

Definitely never meant to claim that my experience was scientific. Just thought its as an interesting anecdote, that's all.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 3:08 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:

Definitely never meant to claim that my experience was scientific. Just thought its as an interesting anecdote, that's all.

I realize that, and didn't mean for it to come off the way that you seem to have taken it. I was just indicating that while my experiences differed from yours, we won't know which experience is more likely than the other until the next US News survey is released (with new employment data).

mcr2011

Postby mcr2011 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:03 pm

mcr2011 wrote:How many people in each class are in the Sports Law program, roughly? The program itself sounds really impressive and I'm seriously considering Tulane because of it, but I can't seem to find any information on how many people are involved in it. Clearly there are some success stories of Tulane Law students enrolled in the program who get great internships and go on to work in sports, but I'm wondering how common that is. What do all of the students in the Sports Law program who don't get those great internships/jobs do once they graduate? And also, what are your thoughts on the Sports Law program in general?

Bump.

ZeffKay

Postby ZeffKay » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:35 pm

mcr2011 wrote:
mcr2011 wrote:How many people in each class are in the Sports Law program, roughly? The program itself sounds really impressive and I'm seriously considering Tulane because of it, but I can't seem to find any information on how many people are involved in it. Clearly there are some success stories of Tulane Law students enrolled in the program who get great internships and go on to work in sports, but I'm wondering how common that is. What do all of the students in the Sports Law program who don't get those great internships/jobs do once they graduate? And also, what are your thoughts on the Sports Law program in general?

Bump.

Bump

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”