Tulane 2L Taking Questions

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Tulane 2L Taking Questions

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:06 pm

Tulane is a really great school. Amazing. But seriously consider ALL of your options before jumping into law school.

So if you have any questions, go. I'll answer them within a few hours.

EDIT: took out my previous hate for law school.

EDIT 2: since I am now a 2L, I changed the title to reflect that.
Last edited by gwuorbust on Sun Jan 29, 2012 11:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:12 pm

gwuorbust wrote:just to preface this, I hate law school. utterly. I have much better options and law school is only getting in my way. I should have listened to the advice I got on this site and never enrolled. That said, I do know almost everything there is to know about Tulane, New Orleans and law school in general. Tulane is a really great school. Amazing. But seriously consider ALL of your options before jumping into law school.

So if you have any questions, go. I'll answer them within a few hours.


What don't you like about law school?

I'm sitting in Corporate Finance and I'm slightly bored.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:17 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:just to preface this, I hate law school. utterly. I have much better options and law school is only getting in my way. I should have listened to the advice I got on this site and never enrolled. That said, I do know almost everything there is to know about Tulane, New Orleans and law school in general. Tulane is a really great school. Amazing. But seriously consider ALL of your options before jumping into law school.

So if you have any questions, go. I'll answer them within a few hours.


What don't you like about law school?

I'm sitting in Corporate Finance and I'm slightly bored.


The fact that I know I could be making more right now working on my company than I can in any legal job I could possibly get. Also, I would rather be building my company than learning about "Id.s" and wills.

User avatar
Sentry
Posts: 1235
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:38 pm

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby Sentry » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:19 pm

What's your company do?

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:26 pm

gwuorbust wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:just to preface this, I hate law school. utterly. I have much better options and law school is only getting in my way. I should have listened to the advice I got on this site and never enrolled. That said, I do know almost everything there is to know about Tulane, New Orleans and law school in general. Tulane is a really great school. Amazing. But seriously consider ALL of your options before jumping into law school.

So if you have any questions, go. I'll answer them within a few hours.


What don't you like about law school?

I'm sitting in Corporate Finance and I'm slightly bored.


The fact that I know I could be making more right now working on my company than I can in any legal job I could possibly get. Also, I would rather be building my company than learning about "Id.s" and wills.


Yes that's true. But there is value added to your company by attending law school (assuming you take certain courses). There is a reason that most major businesses (nonprofit or otherwise) have in house counsel. If they don't, they outsource matters to outside counsel. Either way, your business will need legal counseling.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:
Aberzombie1892 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:just to preface this, I hate law school. utterly. I have much better options and law school is only getting in my way. I should have listened to the advice I got on this site and never enrolled. That said, I do know almost everything there is to know about Tulane, New Orleans and law school in general. Tulane is a really great school. Amazing. But seriously consider ALL of your options before jumping into law school.

So if you have any questions, go. I'll answer them within a few hours.


What don't you like about law school?

I'm sitting in Corporate Finance and I'm slightly bored.


The fact that I know I could be making more right now working on my company than I can in any legal job I could possibly get. Also, I would rather be building my company than learning about "Id.s" and wills.


Yes that's true. But there is value added to your company by attending law school (assuming you take certain courses). There is a reason that most major businesses (nonprofit or otherwise) have in house counsel. If they don't, they outsource matters to outside counsel. Either way, your business will need legal counseling.


that's the reason I'm still enrolled. but I still hate this shit. either way, this thread is getting off topic. unless there really are no questions about Tulane -- in which case we can run this thread into the ground.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:41 pm

gwuorbust wrote:that's the reason I'm still enrolled. but I still hate this shit. either way, this thread is getting off topic. unless there really are no questions about Tulane -- in which case we can run this thread into the ground.


I'm thinking that anyone with a question will just ask it. Also, this conversation keeps bumping the thread so people are more likely to see the thread and thus ask questions.

User avatar
pokerlaw
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:33 am

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby pokerlaw » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:56 pm

I've got a few.

Just how rough is the job market?
How are the law school facilities?
Where to most people live?
Would taking a car be feasible/what is parking like around the school/New Orleans?

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:58 pm

Aberzombie1892 wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:that's the reason I'm still enrolled. but I still hate this shit. either way, this thread is getting off topic. unless there really are no questions about Tulane -- in which case we can run this thread into the ground.


I'm thinking that anyone with a question will just ask it. Also, this conversation keeps bumping the thread so people are more likely to see the thread and thus ask questions.


tis true. but yeah, since I'm sitting just above median I don't feel like there are many firm jobs out there that I would qualify for. I've heard some rumors about NOLA firms that pay ok and hire kids around median. in your experience, any truth to this?

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:10 pm

Just how rough is the job market?


pretty bad. but there are still jobs to be had. I think top 1/3 will be fine. Middle 1/3 (My group!) will have to hustle to find something. Not sure if that group can expect to get anything over 70k. Aberzombie, any thoughts?

How are the law school facilities?


IMO, amazing. I can't think of anything to complain about.Very nice. You should come to one of the admitted student weekends - Tulane will pay $300.

Where to most people live?


uptown. best place. some people live like in the Garden District. no reason for that IMO. I'd rather be able to bike to school 5 minutes after waking up and stroll into class.

Would taking a car be feasible/what is parking like around the school/New Orleans?


parking can be a bitch. I have a car here. I think most people do. It is much better if you have a car but are close enough that you can bike to school. that way you only need to drive when you are visiting someone or going downtown or something.

User avatar
jackattack17
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 7:38 pm

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby jackattack17 » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:35 pm

tulane covers some of your travel expenses for ASW? is that only if you matriculate?

also, roughly where geographically are most of the firms at OCI? mainly louisiana and texas? what about the rest of the southeast?

User avatar
pokerlaw
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:33 am

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby pokerlaw » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:11 pm

Thanks for the response.

gwuorbust wrote:IMO, amazing. I can't think of anything to complain about.Very nice. You should come to one of the admitted student weekends - Tulane will pay $300.


Didn't know that. I'm looking at going to one of the ASWs next month if I can make the time.

User avatar
whitman
Posts: 819
Joined: Tue Nov 17, 2009 4:08 am

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby whitman » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:54 pm

pokerlaw wrote:Thanks for the response.

gwuorbust wrote:IMO, amazing. I can't think of anything to complain about.Very nice. You should come to one of the admitted student weekends - Tulane will pay $300.


Didn't know that. I'm looking at going to one of the ASWs next month if I can make the time.


I just requested and stipend and got shot down.

"As for visiting, I understand that travel to all of the schools from which you have received acceptance is a pricey venture however, unfortunately we are not able to provide travel subsidies or stipends for visiting students."

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:47 pm

whitman wrote:
I just requested and stipend and got shot down.

"As for visiting, I understand that travel to all of the schools from which you have received acceptance is a pricey venture however, unfortunately we are not able to provide travel subsidies or stipends for visiting students."


lulz that sucks. guess they gave out too many free trips last year.

User avatar
cmraider
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby cmraider » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:55 pm

Have you heard anything about applications being down? I got an e-mail from Tulane informing me that my application fee would be waived, despite the fact my numbers are below median (I'll still apply, of course). After reading another thread about declining law school applications, I'm curious to know if you've heard anything to that effect.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:04 pm

cmraider wrote:Have you heard anything about applications being down? I got an e-mail from Tulane informing me that my application fee would be waived, despite the fact my numbers are below median (I'll still apply, of course). After reading another thread about declining law school applications, I'm curious to know if you've heard anything to that effect.


I've heard nothing about this. could be possible. though I wouldn't put much stock into it, I got fee waivers to like 3 places I was waitlist, rejected from.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:06 pm

to clarify @ cmraider. I'm not saying you shouldn't apply. It's just that some people take fee-waivers to be like a magic 8 ball when, in reality, they don't mean much. but if it only cost $12 - as long can afford $12 - then why not bother apply?

User avatar
cmraider
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby cmraider » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:33 pm

gwuorbust wrote:to clarify @ cmraider. I'm not saying you shouldn't apply. It's just that some people take fee-waivers to be like a magic 8 ball when, in reality, they don't mean much. but if it only cost $12 - as long can afford $12 - then why not bother apply?


I was going to apply before they sent me the fee waiver, so I was happy when I received it. My numbers are right on the 25th percentiles, so I figure it's worth a shot. The fee waiver will just mean I paid $60 less for my rejection letter.

User avatar
gwuorbust
Posts: 2087
Joined: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby gwuorbust » Tue Feb 15, 2011 7:38 pm

cmraider wrote:
gwuorbust wrote:to clarify @ cmraider. I'm not saying you shouldn't apply. It's just that some people take fee-waivers to be like a magic 8 ball when, in reality, they don't mean much. but if it only cost $12 - as long can afford $12 - then why not bother apply?


I was going to apply before they sent me the fee waiver, so I was happy when I received it. My numbers are right on the 25th percentiles, so I figure it's worth a shot. The fee waiver will just mean I paid $60 less for my rejection letter.


Tulane admissions is actually much more flexible than some schools. I know some people who didn't have close to median number and got in. and girl who went to GW with me, applied same time as me with almost the exact same numbers was WL while I got a schlly. it was quite strange actually. So I would not call your shot at Tulane a lost cause just yet.

User avatar
cmraider
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby cmraider » Tue Feb 15, 2011 8:17 pm

jackattack17 wrote:also, roughly where geographically are most of the firms at OCI? mainly louisiana and texas? what about the rest of the southeast?

I'm also curious about ^this, especially as someone applying to Tulane. Thanks for the responses.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:23 am

cmraider wrote:
jackattack17 wrote:also, roughly where geographically are most of the firms at OCI? mainly louisiana and texas? what about the rest of the southeast?

I'm also curious about ^this, especially as someone applying to Tulane. Thanks for the responses.


Sorry about the massive delay.

Most of the OCI employers are louisiana employers and the NO office of national firms (McGlinchey Stafford/Phelps Dunbar/Jones Walker/Proskauer Rose/Stone Pigman, etc.). Note that if a firm had a louisiana office and a texas office, both recruited (except for Locke Lord). We have around 10-15 vault firms from texas (skadden/fulbright/vinson[sp?]/etc.), a couple of NLJ from alabama and mississippi (Bradley Arant/Baker Donelson/etc.), and 10ish vault firms from new york (Fragomen/etc.) Note also that we had resume collects from a lot of people (Cravath/etc.).

The off campus interview programs in NY, GA, CA, DC, and MA attracted an okay amount of employers. NY did the best. It had around 15-20 vault firms that didn't come down for OCI.

All together, it was around 70-100 different employers (somewhere around there, I don't remember because it's been awhile).

User avatar
pokerlaw
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:33 am

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby pokerlaw » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:45 pm

How many people do civil law courses/how disadvantaged are you if you end up taking the LA bar?
How insular is the LA market?

User avatar
cmraider
Posts: 101
Joined: Wed Dec 15, 2010 9:13 pm

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby cmraider » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:58 pm

pokerlaw wrote:How insular is the LA market?

Building on this, how deep into your class does it appear mid- to biglaw is recruiting? I would think that since Tulane is the best school in the LA, AR, MS, West TN area that most of the good jobs in the region will go to the Green Wave. I'm very interested in Tulane law, and I would like as much info as I can get.

Also, you said the law school facilities are nice, but what about the Tulane campus, and that area of NO? Is the university in a nice part of town?

folkitup123
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby folkitup123 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:18 pm

[quote="cmraider"][quote="pokerlaw"]How insular is the LA market?[/quote]
Building on this, how deep into your class does it appear mid- to biglaw is recruiting? I would think that since Tulane is the best school in the LA, AR, MS, West TN area that most of the good jobs in the region will go to the Green Wave. I'm very interested in Tulane law, and I would like as much info as I can get.

Also, you said the law school facilities are nice, but what about the Tulane campus, and that area of NO? Is the university in a nice part of town?[/quote]

I'm not a Tulane student but my so is undergrad there and I visit all the time, sometimes for weeks at a time. The campus IMO is incredible... (ex. boatloads of movies about "college" are filmed on the main campus, because it is so reminiscent of, well, a beautiful college - Miley Cyrus is there now filming a flick).

As far as the part of town... I would say 'yes' it is in a great, if not the best/safest/nicest part of town. I've taken many a walk both further uptown and downtown and I can confidently say I feel most comfortable (if you will) by the campus area. The streets around the law school/main campus are pretty goddamn magnificent (esp. if you're into architecture - feel free to PM me for photos of the neighborhood streets, mansions, etc...). I myself am a huge fan of southern architecture and there's no question that NOLA is one of the best places to go see it. Audoban Park is gorgeous - great for walking/biking/chillen' and... if you're into golf - you're in luck! The food is great as well: Dante's Kitchen, Jacques-Imo's, Maple Street Cafe - to name a few.

I would say that if you're really interested, definitely go visit. New Orleans is a city unlike any other. Some areas are edgy, and even the finest areas in town can turn edgy real quick. It's well worth your time to, during the day, wander around and get yourself lost (I find getting lost then finding your way out is one of the best ways to get a feel for the place).

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Tulane 1L Taking Questions

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:27 pm

pokerlaw wrote:How many people do civil law courses/how disadvantaged are you if you end up taking the LA bar?
How insular is the LA market?


About a quarter of the class does civil law. I'm not sure what you mean by how disadvantaged you are if you take the LA bar. If you are asking if you would be at a disadvantage when it comes to passing the bar if you didn't take civil law courses, my answer would be no. Barbri takes care of this. If you are asking if you would be at a disadvantage with out of state employers if you take the LA bar, my answer would be yes; you should take the bar where you plan to practice.

The LA market is relatively small and insular, but if you have the grades and spend your summers/academic year interning in the area - you should be fine.

cmraider wrote:
pokerlaw wrote:How insular is the LA market?

Building on this, how deep into your class does it appear mid- to biglaw is recruiting? I would think that since Tulane is the best school in the LA, AR, MS, West TN area that most of the good jobs in the region will go to the Green Wave. I'm very interested in Tulane law, and I would like as much info as I can get.

Also, you said the law school facilities are nice, but what about the Tulane campus, and that area of NO? Is the university in a nice part of town?


Elite big/mid/small law is interested in top 20%. More traditional mid can be interested in down to median. I say "can" because it depends on a lot of factors, but it is not unreasonable to expect mid if you're top 40% (but you probably won't get it in New Orleans - competition).

Tulane's reputation is a double edged sword. It's no secret that every class at Tulane encompasses many people from NY, TX, CA, DC, and FL. Many of these students end up dispersing after law school to variety of different forms of employment in distant states. The obvious downside is that Tulane doesn't actively pursue students from AR, MS, and TN, and thus employers from those states don't really make the trip to Tulane each fall (generally - some high profile ones do make it). I will say I mass mailed and while received a lot of attention from employers in AR, the firms in MS mostly weren't hiring due to the economy. I'm not certain about TN, but my classmate from Georgia Tech (who doesn't want to do patent) is working with a firm there over the summer.

The university is very attractive and it is in one of two nicest parts of the city. It is very safe and the surrounding community is very nice. As a side note, I do believe that Tulane should just go ahead and purchase Loyola -NO (I'm kidding, but you will know what I mean when you visit - the schools are right next to each other).




Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests