New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Coolgrnmen

Re: New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:11 pm

romothesavior wrote:No one should be surprised by that if they've browsed TLS, including yourself.

Oh, Romothesavior...it's been so long since I've seen you.

It was surprising back in 2010-2011, even after browsing TLS. It's surprising to every BU student I tell about it. I'm STILL surprised and I know it happened.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:13 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:How many of the 3Ls there have jobs lined up? With that, jobs that can pay off their debts within 10 years?

No clue. I transferred after 1L year to BU. I know they are heavy in the PI, which means loans are forgiven after 10 years for those who hold those positions.

I WILL SAY THIS.

During OCI, firms at BU that were looking for Top 15% were also at NYLS, but were only looking at Top 5%, 1% or even Top 5 STUDENTS...that's right....top 5 students out of 500.

As I figured.

How's BU going for you?

Graduated with two interviews pending. Have a third coming up.

OCI was abysmal for me as a transfer. USPS actually screwed me by not forwarding my mail in time. A callback I received came two weeks late and by the time I did the call back, they had offers out. I was put on a short list, but alas the person above me took the offer.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:15 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:How many of the 3Ls there have jobs lined up? With that, jobs that can pay off their debts within 10 years?

No clue. I transferred after 1L year to BU. I know they are heavy in the PI, which means loans are forgiven after 10 years for those who hold those positions.

I WILL SAY THIS.

During OCI, firms at BU that were looking for Top 15% were also at NYLS, but were only looking at Top 5%, 1% or even Top 5 STUDENTS...that's right....top 5 students out of 500.

As I figured.

How's BU going for you?

Graduated with two interviews pending. Have a third coming up.

OCI was abysmal for me as a transfer. USPS actually screwed me by not forwarding my mail in time. A callback I received came two weeks late and by the time I did the call back, they had offers out. I was put on a short list, but alas the person above me took the offer.

Ouch to the second part, but good luck on those interviews.

zanda

Postby zanda » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:15 pm

lol

Just saw that OP wound up transferring. This thread was a lot of fun back in 2011.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:31 pm

zanda wrote:lol

Just saw that OP wound up transferring. This thread was a lot of fun back in 2011.

I mean, it was in my third line of the original post that I was applying for transfer. lol

yes, it was fun. You made a ton of fun of me. Laughed "AT" me even. I still stand by NYLS as a school . . . it's not the best...but it gets the job done.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:41 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
romothesavior wrote:No one should be surprised by that if they've browsed TLS, including yourself.

It was surprising back in 2010-2011, even after browsing TLS. It's surprising to every BU student I tell about it. I'm STILL surprised and I know it happened.

It really shouldn't though. NYLS is among the very worst of the worst. The data is all there, very plain to see. The last few years they've placed less than 5% into firms of even 100+ (in New York!) and less than 2% into true NYC biglaw. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that only a select handful of students have a prayer at OCI. This shouldn't be even remotely surprising to anyone who has done their homework, and certainly not a recent graduate.

You are one of the fortunate ones that did well enough to get out of there. Most of your former classmates will be horribly un/under-employed, so I really hope you will encourage people to think twice about NYLS. It is a rancid shithole sending about 3/4s of the class to terrible outcomes. But it sounds like you still stand by it.

Either way, sincere best of luck to you in your upcoming interviews and over the course of your career.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:32 am

romothesavior wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

It really shouldn't though. NYLS is among the very worst of the worst. The data is all there, very plain to see. The last few years they've placed less than 5% into firms of even 100+ (in New York!) and less than 2% into true NYC biglaw. So it shouldn't come as a surprise that only a select handful of students have a prayer at OCI. This shouldn't be even remotely surprising to anyone who has done their homework, and certainly not a recent graduate.

You are one of the fortunate ones that did well enough to get out of there. Most of your former classmates will be horribly un/under-employed, so I really hope you will encourage people to think twice about NYLS. It is a rancid shithole sending about 3/4s of the class to terrible outcomes. But it sounds like you still stand by it.

Either way, sincere best of luck to you in your upcoming interviews and over the course of your career.

Thanks Romo.

I mean, you are presupposing that 1) everyone who goes to NYLS wants BigLaw, and that's not the case...at all, and 2) that if you aren't in private practice, you will suffer terrible outcomes.

Admittedly, that's my personal measure of success, but I'm recognizing that there are other significant opportunities outside of private practice that NYLS students take advantage of. Therefore, I can't plainly discourage someone from attending. I can lay out what I know and let them decide for themselves. NYLS can be a good school for some people.

I'm just trying to be objective about it. And while stats obviously don't measure up to T14, or even T1 schools, NYLS students do end up employed (even if months after graduation). They also go into alternate careers.

I guess what I'm trying to say is NYLS is not right for you, but NYLS may be right for some. I don't think I'm naive for thinking this.

dirkdigler

Postby dirkdigler » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:25 pm

As of this post, 15 students have BigLaw jobs lined up, out of 273 students, which is roughly 5.5% of the 3L class.

I went to NYLS because I had a good scholarship, landed a BigLaw job, and am happy about my decision to attend.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:41 pm

dirkdigler wrote:

As of this post, 15 students have BigLaw jobs lined up, out of 273 students, which is roughly 5.5% of the 3L class.

I went to NYLS because I had a good scholarship, landed a BigLaw job, and am happy about my decision to attend.

273? Did they severely reduce their class size? Ours was 498 my 1L year before transferring + part time.

dirkdigler

Postby dirkdigler » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:47 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
dirkdigler wrote:

273? Did they severely reduce their class size? Ours was 498 my 1L year before transferring + part time.

Not sure if that number includes part timers, but it was the last one they used to rank us. I do know that they significantly reduced class sizes after the "bubble" year, which I think was your class.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:52 pm

dirkdigler wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:
dirkdigler wrote:

Not sure if that number includes part timers, but it was the last one they used to rank us. I do know that they significantly reduced class sizes after the "bubble" year, which I think was your class.

I hope so. 120 person classes were a little big.

californiauser

Postby californiauser » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:03 am

How were the women? Better or worse than the average NYC chick? Did Columbia and NYU bros scoop up all the hotties?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:13 am

californiauser wrote:How were the women? Better or worse than the average NYC chick? Did Columbia and NYU bros scoop up all the hotties?

I don't know you, so I'm having trouble telling if you are serious or not...

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:28 pm

Desperately in need of a Korngold Real Estate Transactions outline. He's teaching as an adjunct at NYU, but none of our outline banks has anything for his class. Help? Please

Also, sorry if this falls outside of the scope of the thread. Don't mean to derail.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Oct 16, 2013 1:23 pm

vincanity1 wrote:Desperately in need of a Korngold Real Estate Transactions outline. He's teaching as an adjunct at NYU, but none of our outline banks has anything for his class. Help? Please

Also, sorry if this falls outside of the scope of the thread. Don't mean to derail.

NYLS, not NYU. Also, don't know the prof or the class. Try outlinedepot.com

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:38 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:Desperately in need of a Korngold Real Estate Transactions outline. He's teaching as an adjunct at NYU, but none of our outline banks has anything for his class. Help? Please

He's a full-time professor at NYLS, which is why I'm posting here. The prof is Korngold, and the course is Real Estate Transactions.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Oct 16, 2013 4:20 pm

vincanity1 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

He's a full-time professor at NYLS, which is why I'm posting here. The prof is Korngold, and the course is Real Estate Transactions.

Ah ha. That makes sense. Well, wish I could help but I never heard of the guy.

vincanity1

Postby vincanity1 » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:45 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
vincanity1 wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Ah ha. That makes sense. Well, wish I could help but I never heard of the guy.

Haha oh well, thanks anyways

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t

Postby n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t » Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:53 pm

Bump. Did you get a job yet, OP?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:46 pm

n1o2c3a4c5h6e7t wrote:Bump. Did you get a job yet, OP?

I did! Offered in December; couldn't start until March because I had to wait for bar admission.

Mid size firm (80-attorney firm). Doing litigation. Is all good.

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”