New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

A forum for applicants and admitted students to ask law students and graduates about law school and the practice of law.
Coolgrnmen

Re: New York Law School (NYLS) 1L

Postby Coolgrnmen » Sat Apr 09, 2011 11:15 pm

taxnstuff wrote:I am not paying for tuition (state school & scholly) so I never looked into loan forgiveness and such. Who ends up footing the bill for the loan forgiveness in the end? government/taxpayers? or the schools.

Not the schools...the government. It's a government loan.
For the 25 year cancellation, in general the amount that you will have paid will be equal to or greater the original loan amount...the remaining balance would be interest.
For the 10 year forgiveness, the government underpays its attorneys and so they write it off as an investment in quality attorneys. It's an indirect salary, if you will.

But no, the school never foots the bill for federal loan forgiveness.

Try and get scholly...it will save a lot of trouble.

jkl137

Postby jkl137 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:11 pm

Thanks for your thoughts on computers.

Another question.....in regards to networking, have you found specific organizations, events, etc, offered either through NYLS or in connection with, have provided more positive networking opportunities than others?

I attended the open house for admitted students and it seemed based on who I met, flyers posted on the bulletin boards and organizations and centers that spoke there are a ton of options surrounding groups to join, participate in, etc. Any specific ones you would recommend a IL to zero in on?

Thanks again!

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:23 pm

jkl137 wrote:Thanks for your thoughts on computers.

Another question.....in regards to networking, have you found specific organizations, events, etc, offered either through NYLS or in connection with, have provided more positive networking opportunities than others?

I attended the open house for admitted students and it seemed based on who I met, flyers posted on the bulletin boards and organizations and centers that spoke there are a ton of options surrounding groups to join, participate in, etc. Any specific ones you would recommend a IL to zero in on?

Thanks again!

There are two I would truly recommend...1st is Phi Alpha Delta, the legal professional fraternity. The 2nd is ILSA, Italian Law Student Association. I'm not Italian, but that organization provides a huge amount of networking opportunities compared to others.
Aside from heavy networking, I'd recommend trying to get a position on the Student Bar Association (equivalent of Student Government Association) since employers like to see examples of leadership ability.

I don't have specific figures, but from what I've observed, these are the prominent and well-known organizations on campus.

doc10137

Postby doc10137 » Wed May 11, 2011 3:37 pm

Coolgrnmen, I was wondering if class size was a problem at NYLS. NYLS has the second highest student-to-faculty ratio. Have you noticed a problem with this or heard of other students discussing a problem?
Thanks

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed May 11, 2011 3:47 pm

doc10137 wrote:Coolgrnmen, I was wondering if class size was a problem at NYLS. NYLS has the second highest student-to-faculty ratio. Have you noticed a problem with this or heard of other students discussing a problem?
Thanks

The large class sizes are not a problem. It's one of those things that you don't see it as a problem unless you have had something better prior.

First semester will have 3 large classes and 1 small section within your section so that you get to talk in class more and interact more. The large section was 120 people. The smaller sections had no more than 40.

Other than discussing what the school should do to raise our rank, I haven't heard complaints about the student-faculty ratio.

Hope that helps

wLaw_candidate

Postby wLaw_candidate » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:30 pm

I have a chance to go to Pace, just got off the waitlist? Paid my two deposits to NYLS and met the staff.

I hate to ask can I get a speedy response, since I just got a call yesterday and the rep told me I have a day(is that reasonable only a day to think it over, I thought that pretty rude...but I guess I don't have that much negotiation room)?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:43 pm

wLaw_candidate wrote:I have a chance to go to Pace, just got off the waitlist? Paid my two deposits to NYLS and met the staff.

I hate to ask can I get a speedy response, since I just got a call yesterday and the rep told me I have a day(is that reasonable only a day to think it over, I thought that pretty rude...but I guess I don't have that much negotiation room)?

I'm not sure I know exactly what you are asking me. I don't think it is reasonable, but chances are they are scrambling and want a commitment. It's cheaper than NYLS, but its lower rank (which, lets be honest, at 135 and 146 the rank is not the greatest differentiator. Ask for more time and explain why you need more time. Consider what employment you want and look at the schools' respective stats.

wLaw_candidate

Postby wLaw_candidate » Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:13 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
wLaw_candidate wrote:I have a chance to go to Pace, just got off the waitlist? Paid my two deposits to NYLS and met the staff.

I'm not sure I know exactly what you are asking me. I don't think it is reasonable, but chances are they are scrambling and want a commitment. It's cheaper than NYLS, but its lower rank (which, lets be honest, at 135 and 146 the rank is not the greatest differentiator. Ask for more time and explain why you need more time. Consider what employment you want and look at the schools' respective stats.

Oh my question was two fold, one should I consider Pace law over NYLS, granted I want to work in intellectual property, and two is giving me only a day to respond for Pace rude or just a standard?

And a new question(sorry...)NYLS, the faculty in the IP department seems very knowledgeable with all those testimonies and books written, but are they helpful? Does the staff really try to help so you can be more competitive in your field.

And to add more commentary about NYLS, I know it's a daunting tasks to be going to law school now, but what if this is what you want to do. I mean I don't know what else can I do. I am not good at numbers unless it deals with physic formulas oddly enough. But if they accept why not go? I mean I wanted to get into law since I was in high school and I finally have a chance, why not?

Yeah the debt is huge, but what if I start a business wouldn't I be in the same boat granted less in debt. I propose a business in games and frankly that's big money when you try to go large.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:02 pm

wLaw_candidate wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Oh my question was two fold, one should I consider Pace law over NYLS, granted I want to work in intellectual property, and two is giving me only a day to respond for Pace rude or just a standard?

And a new question(sorry...)NYLS, the faculty in the IP department seems very knowledgeable with all those testimonies and books written, but are they helpful? Does the staff really try to help so you can be more competitive in your field.

And to add more commentary about NYLS, I know it's a daunting tasks to be going to law school now, but what if this is what you want to do. I mean I don't know what else can I do. I am not good at numbers unless it deals with physic formulas oddly enough. But if they accept why not go? I mean I wanted to get into law since I was in high school and I finally have a chance, why not?

Yeah the debt is huge, but what if I start a business wouldn't I be in the same boat granted less in debt. I propose a business in games and frankly that's big money when you try to go large.

I'm unfamiliar with Pace's IP, but I know a few friends doing IP at NYLS. Some professors are really helpful and some are not as helpful. That's pretty typical. Re: Pace's deadline. I've never heard of a one day deadline, but that may be the nature of their waitlist. Without knowing specifics about Pace's employment, I can't really recommend one over the other. I continue to recommend NYLS as a good school (bad ranking, good school). You will get the education you need. However, it will be extremely difficult to compete with those in IP at Columbia or NYU. That isn't to say it can't be done, but expect an uphill battle.

Many people on this forum would tell you to retake the LSAT and work for a year. The benefit is two-fold. Possible higher LSAT score and work experience is a huge plus. $200k in debt is a huge amount of money. It is essentially your first home.

This following piece of advice is not to be offensive, so please don't take any. If you can take some sort of Legal writing course this summer before going, it would be a good idea. I don't know if your grammar on here is the way it is because it is the internet and you are not putting that much effort into it. If the grammar in your last message is representative of the way you write, and you can't take a boot camp course for writing, take a year off to learn the proper grammar and sentence construction. I can guarantee you failure otherwise. Again, please don't take offense.

wLaw_candidate

Postby wLaw_candidate » Wed Jul 11, 2012 4:24 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
wLaw_candidate wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

I'm unfamiliar with Pace's IP, but I know a few friends doing IP at NYLS. Some professors are really helpful and some are not as helpful. That's pretty typical. Re: Pace's deadline. I've never heard of a one day deadline, but that may be the nature of their waitlist. Without knowing specifics about Pace's employment, I can't really recommend one over the other. I continue to recommend NYLS as a good school (bad ranking, good school). You will get the education you need. However, it will be extremely difficult to compete with those in IP at Columbia or NYU. That isn't to say it can't be done, but expect an uphill battle.

Many people on this forum would tell you to retake the LSAT and work for a year. The benefit is two-fold. Possible higher LSAT score and work experience is a huge plus. $200k in debt is a huge amount of money. It is essentially your first home.

This following piece of advice is not to be offensive, so please don't take any. If you can take some sort of Legal writing course this summer before going, it would be a good idea. I don't know if your grammar on here is the way it is because it is the internet and you are not putting that much effort into it. If the grammar in your last message is representative of the way you write, and you can't take a boot camp course for writing, take a year off to learn the proper grammar and sentence construction. I can guarantee you failure otherwise. Again, please don't take offense.

I see, so I will stay at NYLS until Cardozo calls.
I have 5 yrs work experience, and I have taken the LSAT over and this where I am today.

jhd125

Postby jhd125 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:41 pm

I have family members who are alumni of this school and I appreciate your positive opinion of it. I like it, and assuming I score where I think I'm going to score on the LSAT, its a serious consideration for me. I don't care about the employment ratings, I have plenty of connections in the field on my own. That being said, what were your stats? Nervous I'll be rejected but plan on applying as early as possible.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:52 pm

jhd125 wrote:I have family members who are alumni of this school and I appreciate your positive opinion of it. I like it, and assuming I score where I think I'm going to score on the LSAT, its a serious consideration for me. I don't care about the employment ratings, I have plenty of connections in the field on my own. That being said, what were your stats? Nervous I'll be rejected but plan on applying as early as possible.

My stats applying to NYLS? I was applying with a 2.8-2.9 UGPA (graduated with 3.0) and had a 157 & 158 on LSAT. No scholarship. To be fair, I had a huge upward trend with my UGPA.

cnjorda

Postby cnjorda » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:39 pm

OP, would you recommend going part-time with $20k scholarship contingent upon living in the residence hall the first year and keeping grades within the top half of the class? I graduated in 2009 with a 2.86 GPA and got a 154 LSAT (poor stats, I know).

Also, how tough is it to increase scholarships during 2L and 3L? I believe you have to be within the top 15% to significantly increase your scholarship (amount depends on where you place) and within the top 25% to receive a $7,500 flat-rate increase.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:47 pm

cnjorda wrote:OP, would you recommend going part-time with $20k scholarship contingent upon living in the residence hall the first year and keeping grades within the top half of the class? I graduated in 2009 with a 2.86 GPA and got a 154 LSAT (poor stats, I know).

Also, how tough is it to increase scholarships during 2L and 3L? I believe you have to be within the top 15% to significantly increase your scholarship (amount depends on where you place) and within the top 25% to receive a $7,500 flat-rate increase.

I'm OP's born-again alt: 1. No 2. I'm guessing 25% chance

cnjorda

Postby cnjorda » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:53 pm

justonemoregame wrote:
cnjorda wrote:OP, would you recommend going part-time with $20k scholarship contingent upon living in the residence hall the first year and keeping grades within the top half of the class? I graduated in 2009 with a 2.86 GPA and got a 154 LSAT (poor stats, I know).

I'm OP's born-again alt: 1. No 2. I'm guessing 25% chance

That's all good and fun, but I directed my question to the OP--not another bitter TLS member.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:41 pm

Hey cnjorda,

What are your other options? So, I think what is important here to think about is whether you would be willing to go with or without the scholarship. Half of your classmates are going to be in the top half and the rest in the bottom half. Everyone is equally smart and it really comes down to who ends up "getting" it and can put that on paper in an exam. It's nice to see that NYLS lowered its standard for maintaining scholarships (they were awarding scholarships of various amounts to 1/3 of the people and having a 3.5 cutoff (which is top 20-15%).

The top 15% is a pure merit scholarship and last I heard, it was $10-15k and you had to maintain the rank through 3L year. They didn't have a top 25% flat-rate increase for a scholarship when I was there.

Also, everything I'm saying may just be very different for part-timers.

In short, I don't have enough info from you to "recommend" attendance or not. I don't think it would be a bad decision to attend NYLS part-time. Whether the money is enough is up to you, but just realize that it is difficult to maintain scholarships when they are rank based because law school is all about competition.

cnjorda

Postby cnjorda » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:04 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:

Hey cnjorda,

What are your other options? So, I think what is important here to think about is whether you would be willing to go with or without the scholarship. Half of your classmates are going to be in the top half and the rest in the bottom half. Everyone is equally smart and it really comes down to who ends up "getting" it and can put that on paper in an exam. It's nice to see that NYLS lowered its standard for maintaining scholarships (they were awarding scholarships of various amounts to 1/3 of the people and having a 3.5 cutoff (which is top 20-15%).

The top 15% is a pure merit scholarship and last I heard, it was $10-15k and you had to maintain the rank through 3L year. They didn't have a top 25% flat-rate increase for a scholarship when I was there.

In short, I don't have enough info from you to "recommend" attendance or not. I don't think it would be a bad decision to attend NYLS part-time. Whether the money is enough is up to you, but just realize that it is difficult to maintain scholarships when they are rank based because law school is all about competition.

I got into Cal Western with a $10k scholarship and Thomas Jefferson with a $24k scholarship (stricter scholarship retention requirements than NYLS), both in San Diego (where I currently live). I'm waitlisted at St. John's. My stats aren't good, so my options are minimal. I squeezed every penny I could out of NYLS. I want to minimize my cost, but also go to school in New York. I'm 27 and have been working in a law firm for the past two years (worked for a bank two years prior).

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 3:51 pm

cnjorda wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Hey cnjorda,

I got into Cal Western with a $10k scholarship and Thomas Jefferson with a $24k scholarship (stricter scholarship retention requirements than NYLS), both in San Diego (where I currently live). I'm waitlisted at St. John's. My stats aren't good, so my options are minimal. I squeezed every penny I could out of NYLS. I want to minimize my cost, but also go to school in New York. I'm 27 and have been working in a law firm for the past two years (worked for a bank two years prior).

So I guess my next question is why New York? Also, is your firm one that has offices nationwide, or just locally?

It seems like if you are already located there, it makes sense to stay there. With the 20k scholly, how much will you have to pay (and/or borrow)?

cnjorda

Postby cnjorda » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:00 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
cnjorda wrote:
Coolgrnmen wrote:

Hey cnjorda,

So I guess my next question is why New York? Also, is your firm one that has offices nationwide, or just locally?

It seems like if you are already located there, it makes sense to stay there. With the 20k scholly, how much will you have to pay (and/or borrow)?

The firm is local, but has connections nationwide. I just want to live in New York for little while--I love it there. After the $20k, I would owe $17k/year. Loans will also pay for the residence hall the first year (about another $17k), but I should be able to pay living expenses after that.

justonemoregame

Postby justonemoregame » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:07 pm

100K for an NYLS degree, plus interest - man, taxpayers are getting a real bargain

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:08 pm

How many of the 3Ls there have jobs lined up? With that, jobs that can pay off their debts within 10 years?

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:24 pm

cnjorda wrote:
The firm is local, but has connections nationwide. I just want to live in New York for little while--I love it there. After the $20k, I would owe $17k/year. Loans will also pay for the residence hall the first year (about another $17k), but I should be able to pay living expenses after that.

Honestly, if you only want to do New York for a little while, then NYLS probably isn't the best place. It is regional at best, meaning it's alumni network is so largely concentrated in New York that NYLS is not a recognized name outside of New York. Bonus, though, is that it is sometimes confused with NYU. I got an interview at a nice firm once because of that confusion...haha (no call back there though).

$100k is not that bad for a law degree, but you have to realize that you have a 50% chance of losing the scholly.

I would try and figure out where you want to be for an extended period of time. Lawyers can't change location that easily. You have to take a bar for each state (unless reciprocity applies). Decide where you want to be for your career and then go.

Coolgrnmen

Postby Coolgrnmen » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:28 pm

Presidentjlh wrote:How many of the 3Ls there have jobs lined up? With that, jobs that can pay off their debts within 10 years?

No clue. I transferred after 1L year to BU. I know they are heavy in the PI, which means loans are forgiven after 10 years for those who hold those positions.

I WILL SAY THIS.

During OCI, firms at BU that were looking for Top 15% were also at NYLS, but were only looking at Top 5%, 1% or even Top 5 STUDENTS...that's right....top 5 students out of 500.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:35 pm

No one should be surprised by that if they've browsed TLS, including yourself.

Presidentjlh

Postby Presidentjlh » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:40 pm

Coolgrnmen wrote:
Presidentjlh wrote:How many of the 3Ls there have jobs lined up? With that, jobs that can pay off their debts within 10 years?

No clue. I transferred after 1L year to BU. I know they are heavy in the PI, which means loans are forgiven after 10 years for those who hold those positions.

I WILL SAY THIS.

During OCI, firms at BU that were looking for Top 15% were also at NYLS, but were only looking at Top 5%, 1% or even Top 5 STUDENTS...that's right....top 5 students out of 500.

As I figured.

How's BU going for you?

Return to “Ask a Law Student / Graduate”